Basil Seasonal Dining
San Carlos Between Ocean & 7th
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93921Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Basil Seasonal Dining
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basilcarmel.com/
- Phone: (831) 626-8226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:30pm
Dinner: M-Th 4:30pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:30pm-10:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:30pm-9:00pm
Brunch: Su 10.30am-2.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Partner Owner / Soerke Peters - GM / Partner Owner Denis Boaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Wine Dinner and Testing Menu available year round. Call in for inquiry or subscribe to our mailing list at www.basilcarmel.com
A word from Basil Seasonal Dining
Creative and modern Californian/Mediterranean dining located in the heart of Carmel-by-the-Sea. Our seasonal menu is inspired by the freshest sustainable seafood the Monterey Bay has to offer and the finest organic produce from our local farmers. Compliment your experience with fun and contemporary cocktails as well as an excellent selection of California"s most sophisticated wines. Our menu includes a generous selection of vegetarian dishes as well as gluten free options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Basil Seasonal Dining - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Basil Seasonal Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (22)great for lunch (17)romantic (13)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014We found this little gem several years ago while in Carmel and have made it a point to go back anytime we are in Carmel. The food is outstanding and service is five stars. You can't go wrong with anything you order but our favorite dish are the Beef Cheeks melt in your mouth and incredibly flavorful.Special Features:
- Meh...NotGoingBackDined on 11/14/2014I wanted to treat my husband to a lovely birthday dinner with vegan options so I booked through Open Table and mentioned in the requests that it was for a special birthday. We brought our dogs so we sat outside, which is to be expected. However, I feel the waitstaff seemed to ignored us because of our animals. They served people around us attentively but passed us most occasions. Also- there were two couples behind us celebrating a birthday and they brought the dinner dessert and made a fuss of him. They did NOTHING for my husband. It made me sad to think this was supposed to be a special evening out and he wasn't treated as such, even after noting the request in our reservation. I will NOT be returning to this restaurant nor will I recommend it to any friends/ family.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014The blankets on each chair next to the fire place and the twinkle lights make for a lovely dinner ambiance. Food was very good but not sure if the beef cheeks were really beef cheeks or short ribs. Service was great and generally a happy, good vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basil Seasoning Dining Superb!snewwithyouVIPDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I found Basil in Carmel recently and enjoyed a delightful lunch there. We were most impressed with what they were doing with local, organic ingredients and resolved to go again for our wedding anniversary dinner. We weren't disappointed on our second visit. My husband loved the rabbit and sage sausage, and I loved the smoked venison. The duck-liver paté and our salads--his a baby kale--were likewise wonderful. Desserts of limoncello cheesecake for me and apple strudel for him rounded out a perfectly excellent meal at Basil!Special Features:
- After the concertJoanneDined on 11/2/2014For those who go to matinee performances at the Sunset Center in Carmel, Basil's is an easy walk for dinner after the performance. Very friendly staff; excellent food. My husband (who is not a vegetarian) tried the roasted vegetable entree and thought it was the best he's ever had. I had the lamb meatballs which were yummy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great quality food! Dining outside in the heated area with their cozy blankets was very comfortable even on a chilly night. We are certainly going to be repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gobasilDined on 10/24/2014one of my faves in an area of hundreds of all types of excellent eateries. will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must do when in CarmeljuliesDined on 10/18/2014The food and service were outstanding!!!! Not until after we were done with our meal did we even know that the fantastic waiter we had all evening was also the owner! Working for 5 star resorts- - we were all extremely impressed by the service level!!! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Let downPanx2Dined on 10/18/2014I was expecting more out of this place. Service started off well was seated right away with my reservation. Our appetizer came out fast but our main course took very long. They kept saying it will be right out. I noticed other people got their food before us and we were there before them. People raved about the squid ink pasta but it was pretty bland.Special Features:
- Carmel restaurant123delishVIPDined on 10/17/2014Basil was a nicely decorated restaurant....Seating inside and outside in a courtyard THE WINE LIST WAS GREAT>>>THE SALAD WAS VERY GOOD> ARUGULA WITH FIGS AND GOAT CHEESE. The service was excellent. The problem was there was too much salt in the food. I had ink squid over spinach pasta. Way too much salt. The other entrée ordered was the fish special. Too much salt in that as well....Special Features:
- rxperiencerxperienceDined on 10/15/2014Living locally refered by friends and entertained a family member from NYC. Although the small indoor seating size holds all sounds, the food & wine especially the special mixed cocktails was outstanding. Our server Kathleen was exceptionally entertaining, very knowledgeable, respectful, and courteous. Our order took a little more time after ordering but that was because of the very large group Kathleen was also serving outside. When our meals finally arrived it was indeed worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs New VenuerudyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Great food and staff. The physical space is just terrible. The inside room is cramped with bright, hot, blnding trac lights. Everybody stares at other tables. Not enough privacy. Bad photographs of food, line the one wall. Looks like a cafeteria design. The trac lights are really outdated. The chairs are not comfortable. I realize they are starting small, but these issues keep us from coming back as often. The food is made with love and it shows. Please put a pasta on the menus that the average joe would like. please consider a pizza or flatbread that a teen could like. thank youSpecial Features:
- Just ok for the price.DavidVIPDined on 9/14/2014We were surprised at the cost and that they were unable to do much in a gluten free meal choice.Special Features:
- Good rich foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The service was wonderful. The food was good. It was a little bit rich but was very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, great foodjojo22Dined on 9/13/2014we were looking for a vegetarian restaurant and they delivered delicious seasonal food - only complaint is that the gnocchi appetizer was good but not impressive but the rest was really good; service was very goodSpecial Features:
- My visit to Basil DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014very limited menu list......will probably not come back.Special Features:
- Irritating 80s soundtrackTresbienDined on 9/8/2014Unfortunately, the Kenny G sound insisted its presence upon our dining experience. The abalone appetizer was very good, although a bit heavy handed with the butter. The petrale sole dish was wonderful, but the black ink pasta was overdone and a bit lacking in flavor. The service was disappointing, with no hints of recommended dishes or friendliness.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Appreciated the seasonal options but the food and cocktails were average at best. I'm a little spoiled coming from SF where there is a plethora of options, but at least Basil offered clean eating choices for those that are into healthy food!
- Brunch was excellentJonSDined on 8/31/2014Very creative dishes, done perfectly, and an attentive staff that knows when to hover and when to stay away.Special Features:
- Basil is a Carmel BestTootallandblondDined on 8/27/2014I've been told by trusted friends that Basil is a favorite dining spot and now I know why. Tucked away from the street, Basil provides a great patio (there may be more seats outside than in). Space heaters keep the patio a nice temp and a blanket option is offered (not needed on this night). Our server moved fast and expertly - best service I've experienced in awhile - and he threw in some personality, menu knowledge and smiles. Noticed my neighboring diners were happy and relaxed, and the credit goes to the server. So enjoyed the starters, fresh and colorful, a well prepared entree, and the recommended dessert (we couldn't decide from the great choices), went with yummy bread pudding and poached pear. Basil's now on my personal Best List!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for small intimate settingKB24Dined on 8/22/2014Unfortunately, not everyone in our group was pleased with the food they selected for a very important family event but I was very happy with my selection and plan to visit your restaurant in the future. It is probably best for a small intimate group of 2 or 3 persons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJGaltDined on 8/14/2014Very bland food, expensive to boot. We try to go to new restaurants every visit to the area. This one seemed more concerned with "green" and "sustainability" (whatever that means) and less concerned with the flavor of the food. The waitress was super.
- Great foodevtsVIPDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant is better for outdoor sitting. They have just 10 tables inside. The food is great, but it is rather noisy inside. The service is slow at times. They have rare things on the menu and the desserts are very high quality comparable to pastries and desserts in Europe. We'll go there again.Special Features:
- Excellent…JonSDined on 8/9/2014…as always. Very innovative cuisine made and served by professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsrichieDined on 8/5/2014Small, relatively charmless space in an otherwise quaint alleyway. Service was fine . Specialty cocktails were excellent. Wine list not so great for the area. My venison was excellent. My wife's pasta main course quite ordinary. It was decent, but I think there are much better choices in Carmel Village proper.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor plaza for lunchRickzVIPDined on 7/31/2014Nestled in among 3 wine tasting venues, Basil is a delightful place for lunch or dinner. Though I prefer my salmon intact, the salmon salad sandwich was very tasty and came with either french fries or a nice bowl of home made soup. The blood orange cheese cake was excellent. The Baileys Affogato was good but they had to be reminded to bring the amaretto cookies. Also, at another local restaurant they add biscotti and a shot of amaretto which is a way better dessert.Special Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Basil Seasonal Dining reviews archive.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceMLSASDined on 7/27/2014Went for Dinner after the Bach Festival's St. Matthew's Passion on Sunday. Service was prompt and attentive. The wine list was amazing, and the menu varied and everything sounded wonderful. The Squid Ink Pasta was outstanding, as was the roasted vegetable entree. We wanted to try several of the deserts, but settled on the Blood Orange Cheesecake which was amazing. We will be going back, as there are so many things on the menu we still want to try!Special Features:
- gr8foodDined on 7/25/2014From the wonderful Service on to the unbelievable fresh food!! Basil is a must if you are heading to Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunchtime retreatmsxcskiDined on 7/15/2014We found Basil Seasonal Dining wandering into various courtyards in Carmel. We wandered on as it was early for lunch, continuing to review menus and decided their menu was the most interesting. We sampled the abalone appetizer which was flavorful and tender as well as sustainably farmed. Our entries were equally tasty. I found their house made limoncello quite tasty.Special Features:
- Great salmon sandwichPanddiningDined on 7/8/2014Great lunch choices. Went back for dinner. Liked eating outside and was warm with heaters and lap blankets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overallAlexandraDined on 7/6/2014It is the second time we dine at Basil and our experience was just as wonderful as the first one. I like that the food is local, organic, sustainable and that the restaurant is certified green. The dishes are creative, prepared with care and can be made gluten-free for most. The service is friendly and professional. The wine list is extensive with many organic wines to choose from. The setting is charming whether you eat inside or on the quiet court. Kids are made welcome and accommodated. Basil is my favorite place to eat in Carmel!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014We have already made another reservation for a return visit tomorrow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJLDHVIPDined on 6/21/2014We ate at Basil on Saturday the 21st. We had a reservation and arrived on time. We were greeted by friendly staff and servers. Our planned table wasn't ready so they sat us outside on the patio which was very nice. We were then moved inside between our first and second course. At this point our service became more spotty--I think the servers nor our group knew whom we were to ask for help. Food wise, the food was excellent. We started with cocktails (the basil margarita was excellent) and burrata. The we ate the pulled pork sandwiches which were a meal themselves and our best food of the night. We had the gnocchi, the beef cheeks, and the salmon. Of the three entrees the salmon was tops! We will be back when we are back in Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatDined on 6/17/2014We love the food here, always creative, use of local, fresh ingredients with very tasty results and the staff are attentive and responsive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Inside dining somewhat cramped. Outside can be chilly - Food excellent and service very good, Fair wine listSpecial Features:
- great placeThevagabondDined on 6/13/2014I and my friend enjoyed it very much and I am sure we will b e back everything was to our enjoymentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Peaches and Fresh SalmoncrosenycDined on 6/6/2014The welcome was warm, the service was great, and although the restaurant space is small, it didn't feel cramped. I ordered the "signature" cocktail--rum, passionfruit (I think) and basil, which was very tangy and packed a punch. My salad and entree were both specials-- a white peach salad and fresh Monterey salmon on a bed of lentils. (Usually I avoid lentils, but these were pretty good.) Both the salad and the salmon were delicious. For dessert I had white peach sorbet.Special Features:
- A Carmel "MUST DO"TetradDined on 6/5/2014This restaurant is a must for person who enjoys a creative outstanding meal. The menus always has the "Non-Run -Of-The-Mill" menu choices prepared by a chef that knows food, enjoys food and serves only the best. One of the 3 top Carmel restaurants and an absolute must-do when in Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastes, very slow serviceMasyukunVIPDined on 5/24/2014The servers seemed rushed and service very slow the night my sister, boyfriend, and I ate here. Several of our drink orders were wrong or lost. Overheard the server apologizing to other diners for the slow service as well, so it was probably just a bad night. About 1.5 hours into the evening, our food arrived and was perfect! Duck liver pate was sweet and creamy. The roasted cauliflowers in the rabbit entree were amazing! The rabbit itself, dry. Scallops were good. Be prepared with good conversation topics or to endlessly gaze into your date's eyes when dining here, otherwise the long wait isn't worth it.Special Features:
- Great experience!ilovegoodfoodDined on 5/22/2014Basil has an excellent menu. We really enjoyed the duck liver and sea urchin appetizers. The black ink squid linguine was wonderful too. The prices were very reasonable for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.