Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
1489 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basilcanteen.com/
- Phone: (415) 552-3963
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Todd Sirimongkolvit
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Basil Canteen can accommodate a private party up to 30-40 guests at our mezzanine area or up to 80 guests for a complete buy-out. We offer customized family style as well as hors d’oeurves menu for large groups. Cocktail party is available at the main bar area with communal table that seats up to 20 guests. Please also check out our 'happy menu' that we offer from 5:00 to 7:00 weeknights.
- Private Party Contact: Arun Jirakorn 415-552-3963
- Entertainment: Ambient Music and guest DJ on occasion
- Cross Street: 11th Street
- Public Transit: Muni Bus line 12 stop in front of the restaurant, Muni trains, get off at Market station walk down 11 street 4 blocks to Folsom St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Relatively easy to find parking around here. From 9:00AM-6:00pm, There is one hour parking zone on Folsom from 11th street going east (toward 10th), 2 hours parking from 11th street going west (toward 12th sty.)
A word from Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
Experience the flavors of Bangkok and the atmosphere of the old landmark 'Jackson Brewery' in SOMA at Basil Canteen. Enjoy the wide range of Thai snacks, noodles, rice dishes, and house cocktails at our long communal table or at our sleek and cozy mezzanine. Through this taste, sight, and sound, one night in Bangkok has never been this close.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basil Canteen @ 11th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2014Great dinner out at Bail Canteen! We were a group of 11 and everyone found something they enjoyed on the menu. Lots of small dishes to start with and affordable entrees ranging from $11-16. Good portion size and very tasty. Service was fast, and they offered a nice assortment fun cocktails. Must go for Happy Hour 5-7pm and then follow with dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spot with cool ambianceMisterFoodieDined on 11/13/2014Friendly staff and accommodating for our larger party. Good was great as we enjoyed each dish family style. Service was ok but the place was packed so somewhat expeted. For good Thai, I would recommend you try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner99VIPDined on 9/26/2014A quite pleasant, reasonably priced Thai restaurant.
- Warm and friendlyBettyBoopDined on 9/20/2014We sought the opinion of a SF foodie and were told to book at Basil Canteen@11th Street. We were not sorry! The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a nice table for four upstairs. The food selections were many and all the dishes we ordered were excellent. The bar drinks were also great; two of us had ketel vodka with grapefruit juice. Our waiter took the time to describe the dishes so we could order exactly what we wanted. We asked for the food to be mildly spice and it was. Many times in Thai restaurants we ask for this but our request is ignored.Special Features:
- Service is good, food is just OKGIanlucaVIPDined on 9/12/2014We went there in the early evening, when it wasn't crowded yet. Service was attentive, but food was not up to par with previous visits or other Thai restaurants. It was clearly fresh, but it was overall bland. We have the vegetarian rolls, they were good but too greasy. Then we had the drunken beef and the pad see Ho (spelling might be wrong); nothing bad with them, but a bit more seasoning would have helped.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I enjoyed my meal. Food was great, Saketini was great and the staff was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Incredible food and ambiance. Booked a group of girls and it was quiet enough for us to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine ThaiBuffVIPDined on 7/31/2014Appetizers outstanding including one dollar oysters that weren't tiny, and I rather delicious. The only drawback was very loud & live room which made conversation difficult. The food was worth the noise;-)!Special Features:
- Excelente foodaleneubauerDined on 7/29/2014The food is delicious. A great and real Thai Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 211 reviews are from the Basil Canteen @ 11th Street reviews archive.
- OKsmm12Dined on 7/8/2014Basil Canteen's appetizers (salads, taro fries, etc) were DELISH, but none of the main dishes were as amazing as I hoped.
- SusannaSVIPDined on 7/8/2014Delicious food, beautifully cooked and full of variety. We will be back to eat our way through the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, OK serviceGImmeHeatVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food is pretty good. Surprisingly nice beer list. Love the interior: open, high ceilings, industrial-ish furnishings. Services was slow and spotty, but overall fairly courteous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for work lunch (groups)Standard24DaveDined on 6/30/2014Our table was ready when we arrived (party of 10). Great menu with a lot of options. Good if you prefer individual plates rather than family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- three lunches, all goodRobinWVIPDined on 5/30/2014I meet a friend from the East Bay at this restaurant -- chosen because of its proximity to BART, and easy parking for me at lunch. We keep returning because it has an extensive menu, lots of choices to fit our moods, and good prices for the quality. Had a delicious/unusual chive cakes (I loved, she liked -- so I got an extra!), grilled pork satay, and papaya salad today. Great service, and only $13 each (pre tip).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRobinchristineDined on 5/10/2014The seating upstairs was romantic and comfortable. I recommend making a reservation, I was seated right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basil's version of Asia...NeoklassiksoulVIPDined on 5/10/2014Visited the location on a Saturday Night. We did not have any real idea of what to expect - but either way were blown away. Excellent quality ingredients and excellent final dishes. Full of flavours, spices - just great. Definitely a place to return to ASAP. Found the wine list a little lacking - but the food IS the priority :)Special Features:
- Loved the food!jamievDined on 4/25/2014Basil was bustling at 8:30 Friday night but we were seated promptly, had a great server and all six of us found our choices to be delicious -- so much so that there wasn't sharing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food isfresh hot & full of flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2014We love it!!! Great Food... We have been back a number of times and we keep bringing new friends. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, food goodrwasiriusDined on 4/11/2014It is a very active and lively crowd. Noisy and Noisier. Food was good, interesting and service was good,
- Great hidden spotEatItDined on 4/8/2014It's a little hard to find, but it is well known. Highly recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, hip vibesnomcityDined on 4/4/2014The lemongrass chicken was fantastic, and the drunken beef was a close runner up. Also tried the chive cake appetizers which I would definitely get again, super flavorful and interesting cakey texture. Almost like a Thai latke. I also enjoyed the decor and layout - why is brick so cool? Anyway, cool space. I went here on a date but it would be great for a group, since everything is a la carte and it's a pretty spacious/open layout. Didn't try any of the cocktails but they all sounded tasty.Special Features:
- too Americanized for me but okRobinWVIPDined on 4/4/2014Maybe because it was the second upscale Asian restaurant I'd been to in two days, both with bland versions of food I have had better for less money elsewhere in SF....this was fine, interesting menu of dishes beyond the usual, but neither the papaya salad nor the strip steak was better than average.
- Delicious foodn3llaDined on 3/29/2014Went there for the first time this week end with my husband. We were very delighted by the place and particularly by the food. Very tasty food at reasonable price. Service efficient and smiling. We will definitely come back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food!LoonyJoonDined on 3/29/2014The food was really great. We ordered family style and there were no bad choices. The restaurant is a little bit noisy, but overall it is a good spot for either a small or large group. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenDined on 3/19/2014Nice vibe and decor, noise level was loud + doors were open hearing street noise with cars zipping by, buses etc (not cool). Service was okay, they tried to provide but I had to catch their attention a few times as lunch crowd was streaming in. Food was good but nothing memorable. I know it's Thai food which can be hot/spicy but all our meals came with a bit more spice than what I would call normal.The Kiramaya cocktail was good and the wife liked her silky sky. The appetizers were pretty good. Overall would be a 3/5Special Features:
- Interesting Thai MenuSnorcDined on 3/1/2014The menu is a refreshing, selection of tasty and authentic Thai dishes, and the modern open concept dining room is comfortably spacious and attractive. It was my first visit, so I was impressed by the dining room and the menu. Unfortunately the cocktails were weak and the food was overly salted.
- Wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2014The food and service are wonderful!! I have been to this restaurant several times and have not been disappointed. Small restaurant so be sure to make reservations for popular nights. Definitely try the Thai sweet chili-glazed baby back ribs appetizer. Yum!!Special Features:
- nice barWailinDined on 2/5/2014The bar was nice to hang after work. Happy hour is very happy and the food was good portion. Friendly bar tender with good cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Thai Food in SOMAOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/31/2014Went there with a friend - great for conversation, but food was not as good as I expected from Basil's. Started with the chives cakes, which were slightly over cooked but still tasty - would have liked more schirachi and less soy sauce. Also had Larb, which wa a little under seasoned for my taste (we'd ordered medium heat) and the drunken beef, which was by far the best dish of the evening. Jasmine rice was beautifully prepared, fluffy and sticky at the same time. We ended with the mango and coconut forbidden rice - mango slices were perfectly ripe and the rice was just sweet enough. But my cocktail - a lemongrass/vodka concoction was too sweet and also had a slight artificial taste. But good value for $. Will go again for ambiance & chatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/28/2014Great food! Great value! Definitely try the Thai sweet chili-glazed baby back ribs! Amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great meeting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/20/2014This is a great meeting place to rendevouz with your friends. Food and presentation and service is a definite plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai food!LATravelerDined on 1/2/2014We had dinner at 7:30 on Thursday evening and had a wonderful meal. Waitress was very helpful. We enjoyed a nice variety of dishes including traditional favorite pad Thai and several curries. All were delicious. Very reasonable prices. Interesting building. Very few diners there that evening. We were a party of six and for about an hour we were the only ones there. Neighborhood was a little sketchy, so perhaps there is a larger lunch than dinner crowd. In any event, we had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, anonymous serviceSarabandeDined on 12/31/2013Checked out this place for a quick dinner the other night - new year's eve. I'm a huge fan of their sister restaurant a few blocks away, Basil Thai. I was very happy with the food and it's nicely priced. Seems like a good spot for groups; if you're a group of two I'd recommend sitting downstairs as the second floor loft can get quite loud. The service wasn't great--no one really check on us and we had a hard time getting server's attention. Overall, this is a nice, affordable neighborhood spot but nothing to go out of the way for.Special Features:
- The roti was delicious! IOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2013The roti was delicious! I definitely plan to go back for more!Special Features:
- Food and service were good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/26/2013Food and service were good. The taro tempura fries were very good, unique and different so definitely get these! The pad thai was good as well. I wouldn't say it was anything special compared to other places. But it was convenience to get to on a busy evening. I've been to their sister restaurant Basil Thai which is also good.
- Great service.Ruthie013Dined on 11/17/2013We had a wonderful time the environment was mellow and relaxing. The food was outstanding we ordered lime curry it was delicious. We had a cup of wine from Argentina Mendoza it was very classy and good. I was constantly served water my cup was never empty during my stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big fan of Basil Thai...IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2013big fan of Basil Thai...I didn't think the canteen dishes were as flavorfull
- Nice placeVegan4LifeVIPDined on 10/17/2013Thanks for a great evening. Good service and food. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous minced chicken andAsterVIPDined on 10/15/2013Fabulous minced chicken and basil dish. Will one time try another dish on the menu! as I seem to order the minced chicken and basil each time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doubled but not a TeamOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2013The food was awesome. Having been to this building, in its various incarnations, this was a great surprise. The odd thing was there were two waitresses. They seemed to not have a specific section and to be working in tandom. It was odd to have one person come to you and ask you what you want, then a second person come along. This happened a couple of times and it wasn't a big deal. It just seemed inefficient.Special Features: