Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
1489 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basilcanteen.com/
- Phone: (415) 552-3963
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Todd Sirimongkolvit
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Basil Canteen can accommodate a private party up to 30-40 guests at our mezzanine area or up to 80 guests for a complete buy-out. We offer customized family style as well as hors d’oeurves menu for large groups. Cocktail party is available at the main bar area with communal table that seats up to 20 guests. Please also check out our 'happy menu' that we offer from 5:00 to 7:00 weeknights.
- Private Party Contact: Arun Jirakorn 415-552-3963
- Entertainment: Ambient Music and guest DJ on occasion
- Cross Street: 11th Street
- Public Transit: Muni Bus line 12 stop in front of the restaurant, Muni trains, get off at Market station walk down 11 street 4 blocks to Folsom St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Relatively easy to find parking around here. From 9:00AM-6:00pm, There is one hour parking zone on Folsom from 11th street going east (toward 10th), 2 hours parking from 11th street going west (toward 12th sty.)
A word from Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
Experience the flavors of Bangkok and the atmosphere of the old landmark 'Jackson Brewery' in SOMA at Basil Canteen. Enjoy the wide range of Thai snacks, noodles, rice dishes, and house cocktails at our long communal table or at our sleek and cozy mezzanine. Through this taste, sight, and sound, one night in Bangkok has never been this close.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basil Canteen @ 11th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Nice Interior, Fabulous Food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2012Nice Interior, Fabulous Food, Sweet Waitress = GREAT dining experience.
- A worthy younger sisterIlTenoreVIPDined on 6/4/2012We've been fans for years of Basil, the (older) sister restaurant a few blocks east on Folsom. If they were on OpenTable we might never have tried Basil Canteen -- and we're glad we did! Delicious food with lots of small plates options and of the 6 dishes we tried, only one fell short (an exotic-sounding smoked Chinese sausage which was bland and uninteresting). Heartily recommend the Tapioca Dumplings; soft round pillows of delight! Standards like green papaya salad were delicious; loved the contrast of cold crisp with spicy dressing. "Crispy" pork belly with Chinese broccoli was neither crisp nor flavorful, but the broccoli and its sauce rocked! Food seemed a little lighter in concept, lots of fresh tastes. Gets LOUD quickly! Good drinks.Special Features:
- Perfect place to eat beforeCjreviewDined on 5/26/2012Perfect place to eat before seeing a show next door at Slims.Special Features:
- This place is Michelin rated?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2012I have eaten here dozens of times over the years, always have had great food and amazing service. This time the service was so bad I thought I was in Europe. The restaurant was empty, it took them 30 minutes to seat us with a reservation. Took another 40 minutes just to get someone to take our order. Asked for a soda, that took another 30 minutes after I had to go down stairs and chase the incompetent waitress down. She kept braking glasses, had no idea what she was doing.
- You can count on their foodLovefrenchfoodDined on 5/16/2012You can count on their food anytime. It is delicious!Special Features:
- I'd definitely eat at Basil510foodieDined on 5/15/2012I'd definitely eat at Basil Canteen again! not sure I'd cross the bay to go there, but for sure if I'm in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Good but inconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012The food choices are varied and tasty but the noodles were overcooked to the point of being mushy. Also, the service was a bit negligent.
- A bit lacking in timely service,elel4404Dined on 4/18/2012A bit lacking in timely service, so by the time our pad thai made it to our table it was a giant sticky noodle ball. Our cocktails were quite good and appetizers that arrived more promptly were delicious. I'd be willing to give it another go.
- Good Thai Place on same blockOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2012Good Thai Place on same block as Slim's and DNA Lounge.Special Features:
- Awesome Gourmet ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/14/2012This was my third time eating at Basil Canteen. Not only was the food amazing, but one member of our party was very late an they still seated us and didn't pressure us to order while we waited. Really high quality Thai food, great ingredients and well prepared. The building is a very SOMA style converted brick warehouse. It was a bit expensive for Thai food, and the portions are a little small. This place is about quality and not quantity. I'll definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- Could use some service improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 4/7/2012Food was good, but service was poor. Wrong dishes came to our table repeatedly, and although the junior waiter who kept making the mistake was apologetic, the waitress was uninterested in hearing any feedback.Special Features:
- Service was awesome! GoodFinnDined on 3/22/2012Service was awesome! Good was fantastic. Love the Druken Beef.Special Features:
- Went here with group of 15OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2012Went here with group of 15 for my birthday and everyone loved the food! The place was modern & trendy. They were able to accommodate last minute changes to my reservation and service was great! I have no complaints and everyone kept telling me how much they enjoyed the food. I had the pad see ew which I would definitely order again. Appetizers were delicious too (potstickers, roti with green curry & beef, and chicken lettuce wraps). For dessert they brought out 3 plates of fried bannana balls with coconut ice-cream for the table to share. It was a great experience and would not have changed a thing!Special Features:
- Staff was very nice & helpfulBJDJVIPDined on 3/10/2012Staff was very nice & helpful & the food was terrific! Got pretty noisy when we were finishing our dinner.Special Features:
- Our party of four was theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2012Our party of four was the first to arrive for lunch, and the last to leave, had so much to talk about. The staff was so very kind and accommodating to our lingering group. Our conversation turned to exclamations of "wow" as we tasted our selections. The food is outstanding, with exciting combinations of flavors, so fresh and so beautiful to the eye as well. Don't miss it. This was our second visit and we will return again.Special Features:
- Excellent Happy Hour!ElaineVIPDined on 2/21/2012Our group of 4 went on a Tuesday at 6:00. It was quiet, and for a while we were the only people at the long community table. The Happy Hour offers were excellent. The Tuesday special was $3 Thai beers. $5 appetizers included the delicious tapioca dumplings with pork and nuts, chicken satay, and fresh rolls with shrimp and vegs. The Full Moon cocktail was refreshing! We enjoyed the pad siew wide noodles and crab fried rice, and a couple of other dishes. Definitely will go back!Special Features:
- Basil Canteen never disappoints.LaraDined on 2/11/2012Basil Canteen never disappoints. I've been coming here for a couple of months now, and I always order Pad Thai and Papaya Salad. This time we tried the lemongrass chicken, and that will definitely become a new staple! The drinks are also a must -- a great selection of beer and creative cocktails.Special Features:
- Thai Cuisine in a Modern SpaceThePetiteFoodieDined on 2/4/2012It was our first time at Basil Canteen, and we brought some friends who had never eaten Thai food. Inside the spacious restaurant, we were greeted by friendly staff and quickly escorted upstairs to our table. Our waitperson was attentive, without being intrusive. We started off with simple appetizers - fresh hand rolls with shrimp, basil, and bean sprouts; and chicken satay with peanut sauce. For my entree, I had a red curry with prawns and Japanese pumpkin. My husband had a pan-seared duck breast curry, and our friends ordered "drunken beef," and stir fried prawns with mangos. Everything was delicious, and everyone was happy. My friends who had never tried Thai cuisine were impressed. This is a great place to dine with a group of friends.Special Features:
- We arrived at Basil CanteenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2012We arrived at Basil Canteen just after the power went out on their block. They sent us to their sister store (and they called ahead to reserve us a table), just down the street. Basil Thai was really good. I ordered the stuffed eggplant and it was so yummy. My husband's fried noodle dish was also very tasty. The deep fried appetizers we ordered were okay, but didn't knock my socks off. My only complaint was that I had to ask twice for my green tea. Everyone else at the table ordered alcohol and they got theirs right away.
- Excellent Thai - superb foodStephenDined on 1/25/2012Small, quiet but very tasty Thai in old converted Jackson Brewery - on the corner of 11th & Folsom - and easy to miss. Street parking was easy as there is not much else going on around here. Service was excellent, with a choice of seating at the long communal table, private tables or up on the mezzanine. Food was unusual and superb. Well worth visiting - which I will do again a.s.a.p.Special Features:
- we enjoyed a wonderful preOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/4/2012we enjoyed a wonderful pre theater dinner and would recommend Basil Canteen. The service was friendly and very good at describing the different dishes. We shared them all and look forward to going back and trying even more.Special Features:
- food was excellent, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/31/2011food was excellent, however service was quite slow.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and great service.MinderellaVIPDined on 12/30/2011Fabulous food and great service. I love Open Table because I can find gems like this when I travel!Special Features:
- What's not to love?stonerfoodVIPDined on 11/28/2011We come here and order in from here all the time at work. Fresh and delicious ingredients prepared in an upscale yet homey sort of way. The decor is industrial chic, yet warm and inviting. All your basics faves are represented on the menu, as well as some interesting and innovative dishes I've never seen anywhere else. A long communal table by the bar, and elevated level with booths and small tables (good for a private party!) are some other noteworthy details. Seriously good food in a fabulous space; what more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Great for groups!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2011My go to spot when planning a group dinner. Large communal table and shareable portions makes this a perfect place for special occasions. Great food too!Special Features:
- Great Pre-Show MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2011Service was slow and not very personable. Good food made up for it.Special Features:
- Food was good. Our chickenDubsDined on 10/28/2011Food was good. Our chicken skewers came out dark pink in the middle - they replaced it. Still charged us which I found surprising but was fine. We sat at the communal table so we could watch the world series and it worked well, but we had two chairs between us and the next group. If it had been packed I dont think I would have enjoyed it as much.
- Great food here. PortionspmsmomDined on 10/17/2011Great food here. Portions not that big, but great quality. Staff is nice.Special Features:
- We tried the Sam tam withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2011We tried the Sam tam with dried beef, a dish composed of fried catfish with green mango salad a chicken dish. All were delicious and balanced. The catfish was very flavorful and was excellent with the shredded green mango salad. The ambiance is very good. The food was all very flavorful and used excellent ingredients. Definitely a new favorite.Special Features:
- Not sure why I didn't receiveMoInThe415VIPDined on 10/13/2011Not sure why I didn't receive any points for this rez, but whatever... Basil Canteen was awesome. Everything we ordered was delicious. Cocktails were fantastic. Service (although the place was nearly empty) was very attentive, but not to the point where it was annoying. After dark is always interesting in this area of SOMA, so you'll be sure to see something strange or unusual.Special Features:
- Bummer!ThrillmoreVIPDined on 10/7/2011While we were totally on time for our reservation, the hostess had given our table to someone else! She said she had called and left a message to confirm our reservation (30 minutes prior - we had left the house to get to the restaurant!!) and since she couldn't reach us, gave our table away!! Said it would be a 45 minute wait. We left, of course.
- Both the customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2011Both the customer service and food seemed somewhat "average" to me, although I greatly enjoyed the room itself with raised/vaulted ceilings, brick walls, atmospheric lighting, and bar downstairs. Might be a decent place for a date or birthday celebration. Food was okay, but it did not move me.Special Features:
- Great traditional Thai inOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2011Great traditional Thai in a great industrial style venue at a great price and easy (for San Francisco) to park on the street!
- I didn't like our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2011I didn't like our waitress at all. She was a bit unfriendly and very inpatient. She didn't even like to give us a suggestion, or help us to pick since it was our first time there. She never smile or even asked us how was the food like she doesn't even care. It's not a warm or friendly place to me over all. The food is good but not that many choices.Special Features:
- Stopped in here with a relativeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2011Stopped in here with a relative that was in town. The exposed brick and ambiance is very nice, though the location (as others have stated) is kind of odd. The options for seating are plentiful enough. We went on a Sunday night so it was very quiet and we had our pick of seating. We brought our 2.5 yr old and newborn and they were very accommodating and had a spot set up for us in advance for the stroller and high chair. Food was good. I am used to thai food that is heavier in flavor. A couple of our dishes were a little bland but there were two others that were just right, so it could go either way depending on what you choose. The dishes seemed lighter than most thai so maybe they are cooking healthier than delivery style thai shops
- Industrial chic: Tasty Thai CuisineImprovGuyDined on 7/23/2011If you want OT credit, make sure the hostess marks you present at the reservation desk. Tasty food, ample and plated nicely.Special Features:
- Nothing special but a prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/10/2011Nothing special but a pretty space and nice for a quick neighborhood lunch.
- I had a dinner there for myOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2011I had a dinner there for my rommates birthday. We were sat on the second level, which is slightly tucked away from the hustle of the first floor and made us feel like we had our own private resteraunt. The food was well prepared and delicious. Great experience. I'll come back.Special Features:
- Great for dining family-style!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/28/2011Basil Canteen is my go-to place for dining with groups of 6 or more who like to share. There are so many things on the menu that family-style is the only viable option for sampling them. The downstairs communal table can be great fun. Drinks are Asian-inspired and tasty. My favorite is their take on a sake-tini: cold, unfiltered Nigori sake with lychee puree.Special Features:
- Really good food in a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2011Really good food in a very unique and edgy environment. Been there twice and would go back again.Special Features: