Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
1489 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basilcanteen.com/
- Phone: (415) 552-3963
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Todd Sirimongkolvit
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Basil Canteen can accommodate a private party up to 30-40 guests at our mezzanine area or up to 80 guests for a complete buy-out. We offer customized family style as well as hors d’oeurves menu for large groups. Cocktail party is available at the main bar area with communal table that seats up to 20 guests. Please also check out our 'happy menu' that we offer from 5:00 to 7:00 weeknights.
- Private Party Contact: Arun Jirakorn 415-552-3963
- Entertainment: Ambient Music and guest DJ on occasion
- Cross Street: 11th Street
- Public Transit: Muni Bus line 12 stop in front of the restaurant, Muni trains, get off at Market station walk down 11 street 4 blocks to Folsom St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Relatively easy to find parking around here. From 9:00AM-6:00pm, There is one hour parking zone on Folsom from 11th street going east (toward 10th), 2 hours parking from 11th street going west (toward 12th sty.)
A word from Basil Canteen @ 11th Street
Experience the flavors of Bangkok and the atmosphere of the old landmark 'Jackson Brewery' in SOMA at Basil Canteen. Enjoy the wide range of Thai snacks, noodles, rice dishes, and house cocktails at our long communal table or at our sleek and cozy mezzanine. Through this taste, sight, and sound, one night in Bangkok has never been this close.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basil Canteen @ 11th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2013It's probably better to go as a group where they'll seat you on the mezzanine. There was only two of us and they put us in the area by the entrance that was the area they designated for the 2 seaters. Wasn't really a great area. We had the duck and the pork belly dishes. Both were tasy but the pork belly skin was tough and the duck along with its skin was on the chewy side as well. The experience wasn't bad but it's not making me want to go back any time soon. Staff was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly capable and often rewardingCoolaislesDined on 8/6/2013I find the place worthy of repeat visits. When it is busy, it tends to be a disaster. Take out orders further impact the wait and the service at these times. When the crowd is manageable, the place not noisy and the kitchen able to concentrate, the food is excellent and subtle flavors exist and you can relax while enjoying it all. It gets crazy and a lot of that goes out the door. Go on a week night and truly enjoy a kitchen team that really does try to please. A lot of the time, they get it right. That's not to say you can't go on weekends, it is just not the same experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/22/2013Weird neighborhood, amazing restaurant and extensive menu with fantastic choices. Curry was amazing and the meat in it was of good quality and cooked perfectly (i had beef short rib green curry) and the mixed drinks were great as well. Service was a little awkward and not many people in there but great tables and nice setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was alright. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2013It was alright. Service was fine, and food was decent. Nothing spectacular, but nothing to complain about - just an all around solid choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unrushed, excellent mealCamdonDined on 7/14/2013This was our first time at Basil - 8 of us and we all had a great time. The quality of the food was excellent, the service good, the quantities just right and the final bill a little less than I expected. We were there meeting n old friend who came into town. So the best part was that everyone left us to take our time to order - drinks, appetizers, main course, desert and leaving. The restaurant wasn't crowded, but it was busy. Still, we never felt rushed. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty. Dishes seemed to be different versions of the usual thai food you'd expect. I don't remember if they asked for how spicy we like things. I prefer them much spicier than anything we got. But everything was full of flavor and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceTinaVIPDined on 5/24/2013My husband and I went there on Friday night. No one greeted us when we walked in and when we went to the register, a woman took us to the table without really saying anything. We weren't offered help with the menu. The food took a very long time and we got very little attention from our server. The positive note -the food was pretty good Thai food.
- Unbelievable!judithVIPDined on 5/21/2013The first time I reviewed this restaurant, I was "taking dictation" from my spouse who went with two friends - and everyone raved! THIS time it really was me plus a friend and both love everything about the place - the way the space was used, the lovely service, the fantastic food! In fact, I took ribs home for Lil & my friend took an entire meal home for dinner for herself, partner & their son. Definitely a place to which we will return over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, flavorful, well-preparedDoctorjVIPDined on 5/19/2013Fresh, flavorful, well-prepared Thai food. Excellent value. We had a wonderful time. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Thai I've had in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2013Thank you Open Table. I looked for a long time on Trip Advisor & didn't find a Thai restaurant that turned me on. When I looked on Open Table, this one immediately got my attention. The food & drinks were perfect & creative (eg sake with lychee juice, shrimp curry with pumpkin and another with mango). The servings were big, especially the papaya salad, which was enough for 2 people. The decor was also creative ( looks like a converted industrial space, well designed & airy). Staff was very attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- Best Thai Food ever TastedjudithVIPDined on 5/15/2013The heading says it all! My spouse & her buddies really liked basil Canteen. Now she & I are planning lunch there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and classicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2013A pleasing encounter, excellent pumpkin curry! I appreciate the various seating options - intimate to communal. Very glad to have it in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food before a night out!emveeDined on 4/24/2013Excellent food. Friendly but sometimes spotty service being short-staffed. Paid a lot of attention to our needs and very knowledgeable on the food and understanding our needs/choices. Good wine beer and cocktail menu - not extensive but well chosen. Overall - recommend the place strongly and would definitely go back esp if in the neighborhood for a show/concert.Special Features:
- Very good and unusual ThaiSouthernvisitorVIPDined on 4/18/2013Very good and unusual Thai food, not what we expected, but much better.Special Features:
- Hip Thai JointLeelo84VIPDined on 3/28/2013Very cool space with delicious food. The service was a bit slow (I think they were understaffed) but we weren't in a hurry so it was OK. Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:
- Really good Thai food - servicefoodluvVIPDined on 3/19/2013Really good Thai food - service is a little off, but they seem to be trying.
- The noise was too much! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/15/2013The noise was too much! The food and service were good.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed myself. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/5/2013I really enjoyed myself. The food was delicious, right prices, great service. The portions were a great size to share with one other person. I would definitely come back here.
- Best Thai food Ive had outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/4/2013Best Thai food Ive had outside of Thailand Roti with skirt steak and green curry app is amazingSpecial Features:
- Love this placeJaredDined on 3/1/2013The food here is really delicious, and I like the cocktails as well (lychee martini and things like that).Special Features:
- A delightful find, with aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/18/2013A delightful find, with a great atmosphere and very attentive and warm service!Special Features:
- Unique look & feel with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2013Great place for groups. The brick interior somehow doesn't take way from the Thai food simply makes the experience more unique.Special Features:
- I had actually thought I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/31/2013I had actually thought I had booked Basil's other café on Folsom. When I arrived, the maître d explained that they had the cantina down the street. She kindly called the cantina and had my reservation moved to the café. I have eaten at the café a course of times and have always found the food to be wonderful. Because of the staff's kind gesture, I will be sure to check out the cantina the next time I am in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Not a gourmet place, but verydiner99VIPDined on 1/25/2013Not a gourmet place, but very nice Thai food with enthusiastic service. Prices are right and portions sizes just right. Only caveat is that Happier Hour cocktails have LOTS of ice.
- Very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/18/2013Excellent tasty Thai cuisine and yummy creative cocktails. We enjoyed very attentive servers - and the prices were extremely reasonable.Special Features:
- Great place, but cake cutting fee!SincinDined on 12/28/2012I've been here many times and everything is good. The fried catfish, the minced chicken, the roti, the angus beef, I can name it all! Downstairs is open with a big commune table, like Nopa if you've been there and upstairs is better for groups. Just didn't like that they charged for cake cutting fee! Large groups already has 18% gratuity, so feel I that it should be included because that was an extra $15 on top of the bill after being taxed and tipped on it!Special Features:
- Close, but no cigarIlTenoreVIPDined on 12/10/2012I've been a fan of their sister restaurant, Basil, for years. Basil Canteen seems a more youth-oriented, casual space with some delicious deals at happy hour, which is why we chose to meet friends there on a recent stay in San Francisco. The food, though quite good, is not quite on a par with the original, and the bartender seems slightly less creative as well. Lots of hard surfaces and large, semi-communal tables; the noise can quickly reach shout-over levels. I'd go back for happy hour, but would prefer to dine at the original (not, alas, on OpenTable).Special Features:
- A different ThaiSodalakeDined on 12/6/2012Although you will find a number of standard Thai dishes on the menu (pad thai, satay, etc.), and they are good of the kind, the star selections are their own. I didn't see one dish I would not like to try and those we sampled all met my expectations. The "drunken beef" with flank steak, eggplant, green beans, lemon grass and chili was delicious. Vegetarian dishes, though not abundant, were excellent including the yellow curry with stir fried vegetables and tofu. Try to make happy hour to sample their cocktails and a nice discount on a number of small dishes including the taro fries and crispy vegetable rolls. Basil Canteen is off the beaten path, but the Number 9 bus from Market Street will take you to the front door.Special Features:
- Modern Thai done right!bonedoc97VIPDined on 12/1/2012Great Thai food served in a beautiful modern loft setting. Be sure to try the flank steak and Indian roti fried bread appetizer with green curry. YUM! Their chicken satay just melts in your mouth and they're on special during the week for Happy Hour (before 6 pm). Love the spicy crispy catfish in red curry and their pineapple and green curry braised short ribs are really flavorful.Special Features:
- Great Thai food and atmosphere.cloudyDined on 11/16/2012Great Thai food and atmosphere. We go there when we want to just have good Thai food and no hassle. Nice ambiance too.
- Fun, Creative Thai bar / restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2012This is a great Thai place with most staples and a number of creative dishes. We had the Sakhoo Saimu and Larb Gai for appetizers. The Sakhoo Saimu is a fun dish comprising a sweet, chewy dumpling of tapioca-encased pork. The Larb Gai is a lettuce wrap with a tangy filling of shredded chicken, chili and mint. These appetizers highlighted the meal. For the main courses, we had the Drunken Beef and Kana Mu Grob. The Drunken Beef was good, but ordinary. The Kana Mu Grob, which we had with pork belly, seemed better in theory. The pork belly was not crispy and the broccoli included mostly stems, giving the dish an unfortunate leftover quality. Service was friendly and attentive. We will no doubt return to sample the menu further.Special Features:
- OK...not bad...not great.KnowsGoodDiningDined on 11/10/2012Space is on the "cool / SOMA" looking end. Host was accommodating...didn't fret when we switched from 4 to 8 people. My "constructive feedback" is (1) there was a large window open at the high end of a wall (i.e., near the ceiling) on a cold night, making the restaurant chilly. Half of our crowd of 8 had a sweater or jacket on and were still cold. And (2) I had to get up several times to get somebody's attention -- including to pay the bill -- because the staff were busy making up their napkin-with-utensils set-ups. I was a waiter, so I understand the desire to get that stuff done, but when there are customers on the floor I believe the rule is...pay attention to the customers.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2012Overall not very impressed. It feels like they're cutting some corners to save money when it comes to the food. Nothing was terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. The curries we had were fine, but a little wimpy on the vegetable, tofu, and shrimp content. The spinach leaf appetizer with shrimp and coconut was good — with a welcome spicy tanginess — but the portions were pretty small as things go. The noise level was too high given how sparse the crowd was (it was maybe 30% full when we dined around 7pm on a Friday night).
- i still love thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2012basil canteen was a fun spot. this was the first thai restaurant i went to after having visited thailand. the drinks were great. the bartender was very knowlegable and friendly, and we chatted a bit. the food is very good (although americanized, as is every thai restaurant). very enjoyable. it seems like the popularity of thai food is waning in general, but i am still a fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't miss. One of my favoriteGeorgeVIPDined on 10/12/2012Can't miss. One of my favorite restaurants. Thai with a flair!Special Features:
- Found this one when crusingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2012Found this one when crusing around on folsom street, was quite a discovery. The location is nice and cosy, service is attentive and food very good. The happy hour food and drink specials are recommended, you get a lot for your bucks.Special Features:
- Another excellent pre-symphonyStephenDined on 9/6/2012Another excellent pre-symphony meal at the Basil Canteen. Explored some more of their Thai cocktails this time and was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Staff very friendly, but itOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/4/2012Staff very friendly, but it took a long time to get served. Left waiting a lot. The food was excellent though.
- Very good food. Not the usualOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/1/2012Very good food. Not the usual mushy Thai food. Even the pad thai was not greasy and not sweet. We ordered 4 appetizers and one entree. Too much food, but it all was good. I would go back.Special Features:
- Great place to start out forMulligansVIPDined on 8/18/2012Great place to start out for a night of dancing with DNA and cowboy bar right down the street. Great food.Special Features:
- Healthy offeringsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2012Went here before seeing American Idiot when it was happy hour. The sauce for the chicken satay was very good, had the spring rolls and those were delicious as well. Dinner we had pumpkin curry shrimp, ground chicken with basil & chile, tofu & eggplant, & mango shrimp. All were good. Brown rice was really good. Not huge portions which was great for us. High quality food, & reasonably priced.Special Features: