811 Highland St.
Columbus, OH 43215Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.basi-italia.com/
- Phone: 6142947383
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Dornback
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Catering list at Smith Brothers Building. Party trays available for take out.
- Private Party Facilities: THE VENUE @ Smith Brothers Building
Displacement charges available for dinning room rental.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Warrick/ Trish Gentile 6142947383
A word from Basi Italia
Nestled in the heart of Victorian Village, Basi Italia is a small, casual, feel-good restaurant featuring clean, simple Italian fare with innovative twists. Basi focuses on being an approachable relaxed dining experience with a strong commitment to true hospitality. Chef John Dornback and wife Trish Gentile bring the importance of food, friends and fellowship that they embrace in their personal lives to the restaurant setting of Basi Italia. Imagine steaming plates of sumptuous food on intimate tables; friends and neighbors eating, drinking good wine and sharing their experiences with one another. Weather permitting, dining is available on the courtyard terrace where wine specialists and tastings are often an option. On chilly evenings, enjoy our heated outdoor bar area. Full service dining, carry out and delivery are all available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Basi Italia - Best Restaurants in Victorian Village ›
Basi Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (129)great for outdoor dining (118)romantic (100)fit for foodies (95)special occasion (89)notable wine list (48)hot spot (27)scenic view (13)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- 6 out of 10DiningCbusDined on 8/30/2014The Parmesan Creme Brulee was exactly as described. It was perfect with the Sav Blanc the server recommended. The sear on the pork belly was non-existent and the texture was like eating a mushy ball of fat. The white bean concoction underneath the pork belly was full of flavor and well prepared. Prosciutto scallops were prepared well, but the strawberry, pea and parsnip mixture was TERRIBLE. Peas undercooked, parsnip was bitter and annoying and the strawberry was too random to bring all of that together. Mustard trout was AWFUL! All breading and couldn't even taste the fish. The veggies were amazing though. It felt like the chef was a contestant on Top Chef that made it to the 5th or 6th round. Great ideas with bad execution.Special Features:
- Basi is a gem!PowellfoodieDined on 8/30/2014We love Basi Italia and went there for our anniversary and a birthday of a great friend. We always enjoy this place and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves an intimate and very cool little gem of a restaurant! It holds a special place in our heart for the Columbus dining scene!Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerSarahSRigsDined on 8/27/2014My boyfriend took me here for a nice birthday dinner- we wanted to try a new place we'd never been before. Everything was lovely, from the savory shortbread they brought out to start. The parmesan creme brulee was different and delicious, and the mustard crusted trout was superb. I was skeptical that there wasn't a starch served with it, but it was a big portion of perfectly crisped fish over some incredibly tasty peppers. All in all exactly what I'd wanted for a special birthday meal.Special Features:
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014The appetizer of pistachio flatbread was delicious, as was the eggplant pram. The risotto, however, was undercooked and still crunchy with bland flavor. Therefore, the food is just better than mediocre. The place does have excellent service and a beautiful ambiance both inside and outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeKevinBDined on 8/22/2014Took my girlfriend there for her birthday. Food was outstanding, good service ; very quaint and romantic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Perfect little neighborhood spot to sit, relax and enjoy unique delicious food and drinks!! Service as GREAT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLuv2dineDined on 8/12/2014Food was amazing. My fork didn't leave my hand till I was finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic settingJeffreyDined on 8/9/2014One of the best outdoor patios in Columbus, Barcelona's and Lindey's come to mind. Make a reservation between 5 and 5:30 to snag an outdoor table. The food was nicely seasoned, somewhat creative Italian. The waitress did a nice job pairing the wine with our meals and tastes. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real hidden gem of a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014Ambiance on the patio is totally exceptional. Food is fantastic. Service is competent and gracious.Special Features:
- Basi is the bestUAlocavoreDined on 8/6/2014You can't order wrong here. Everything is high quality, lovingly prepared and delicious. Fresh ingredients, appealing but not overly pretentious presentation, and always delivered with above par service. A restaurant worth returning to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!anne522Dined on 8/5/2014Love this restaurant. The food is absolutely delicious. I had the butter poached cod, which not only tastes great, but is also beautifully presented. Asparagus spears, fingerling potatoes, orange colored grape tomatoes and a generous piece of cod. Yum yum!! I also had the Mediterranean tomato salad, which was exquisite. My husband had the Caesar salad, which he liked very much and then the Shrimp dish, which was awesome. Definitely recommend this restaurant - a quiet little spot with unbelievable food and service!Special Features:
- Great local find!ToddDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I were in from out of twon celebrating our 10th anniversary, and we were lucky enough to have found Basi Italia. The food is incredible, and the ambiance is great. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Delicious food great wine listMCBfoodieDined on 7/29/2014Treat yourself and your favorite person to a night out at Basi. The food is delicious and prepared perfectly. And the wine list is fantastic! Ask Lisa for her favorite red - you cannot go wrong.Special Features:
- Excellentpartyo5Dined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed a fabulous evening at Basi, food was excellent, it was a perfect evening. Tried their Eggplant Parmesan it was delicious.Special Features:
- outstandingwashburnDined on 7/26/2014we celebrated our 9 anniversary - it was outstanding - great food, great environment, great staff. Definitely is one of our top spotsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returned to our favorite mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We moved away from Columbus to Cleveland 3 years ago and we have sorely missed Basi. The eggplant is to die for, tender and crispy with a sause you want to pick your plate up and lick off. Service and staff are great and make for a wonderful evening. What a gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianDined on 7/26/2014We took the waiters advice and we were very pleased with our apps and dinners. Terrific evening at a cozy restaraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- libraDined on 7/25/2014Had the prefix $30 meal dinner at Basi Italia during restaurant week Columbus. Each course was perfection -- so delicious and innovative! The menu was a perfect example of the type of creativity that can only be found with this Chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RamseyRamseyDined on 7/24/2014Was a little disappointed in the food this visit, but we will still come back. We love the outdoor patio, and it was a beautiful evening. The service staff seemed a bit over extended but did their best.Special Features:
- great placegumbyDined on 7/23/2014I'd wanted to try Basi for some time, so Restaurant Week was the perfect opportunity. The food was so good - layers of flavor that completely complemented each other. And the service was great too. We had Lisa, who I would ask for again. Attentive and friendly without being intrusive. I definitely hope to go back soon.Special Features:
- littoangelVIPDined on 7/22/2014I really want to like this place after hearing so many people rave about it, but the food is just so poorly done that I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why this is the "go to date place" for some people. While the zucchini appetizer and flatbreads were decent, the entrée and desserts were so plain that it is hard to believe I actually paid almost $100 for the meal. The BBQ short ribs was ok but the sauce tasted just like any BBQ sauce you buy in the giant eagle clearance section. The veal my husband ordered tasted so bland that he didn't even want to take the left overs home.
- LovelyMB722Dined on 7/18/2014The panchetta left me wondering if the old time religious powers knew pork could taste that good and didn't want their peoples being tempted by it. I may steal from a baby for the chance to have the panchetta and risotto on a regular basis, or work hard, whichever seems easiest in terms of ability and ethics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable ExperiencetenmanDined on 7/18/2014This was a first visit that came highly recommended. We were seated promptly (with a reservation) and service started immediately with a pleasant waiter. The restaurant is small and comfortable and nicely appointed. The food was excellent with adequate portions. The menu included many interesting items that we wish we could have enjoyed. All in all it was a very relaxing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatout2muchEatout2muchDined on 7/16/2014Perfect evening with friends! Ate outside and had wonderful appetizer of salmon tartare, good choices of wines. Short ribs were exceptional as was the shrimp pomodoro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectations!italian03Dined on 7/12/2014We were very pleased with our dining experience at Basi Italia on Saturday night. The attentive, personable, but not overbearing service, absolutely wonderful appetizers and entrees and overall atmosphere make it worth many more trips. This would be a fun place to go anytime, but especially nice to take guests from out of town due to the food, service and unique neighborhood it is in. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basi Italia never disappointsBeardiesRuleVIPDined on 7/12/2014Made our reservation for 5:45 pm hoping to dine on the patio, which is so lovely in the summer. Got the last 4 top table... yay! Food was excellent as always and our server was delightful. Two people enjoyed the eggplant parmigiana, which is our favorite dish there. The other two had linguini with shrimp, tomatoes & cucumber which was light and fresh tasting. The Caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella & fresh basil (grown in pots all around the patio) was also wonderful. Don't miss a visit to their patio before the summer slips away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basi July 2014 - GreatAndyDined on 7/12/2014Great food. I real find. Highly recommend the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable and Intense flavorsBonBonDined on 7/11/2014Basi Italia has always been one of my favorite restaurants in Columbus, but after this past week's dining experience - it may be my very FAVORITE! We dined with friends who travel and dine worldwide - they, too, were impressed! Some favorites were the flatbread; zucchini; and smoked salmon tartar appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor patioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014This was my first time to Basi and I was very delighted by the food and atmosphere. We had to wait a few minutes to get a spot on the patio as that is first come/first serve, so we sat at the bar for a drink. My negroni was delicious and a great way to settle in for a tasty meal. We were seated at a table next to lovely trees and plants which make you forget that you are downtown. Our server promptly greeted us, mentioned the specials and took our wine order. The wine arrived as we still had half of our drinks left from the bar, but not a big deal. We chose the smoked salmon tartar, I had the linguine with mussels and my date had the prosciutto wrapped scallops. Nothing disappointed except for that they didn't serve espresso.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Went here on a double date. Never heard of the place. Was happy with everything about it. Patio was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the True Gems of ColumbusColumbusRestaurantReviewsDined on 7/3/2014Columbus has a very vibrant and diverse food scene, so it's saying something when I say that Basi is right there at the top with the best restaurants in the city. Whether it's a romantic evening out with someone special, or you just have a passion for great food, Basi delivers on all fronts. The staff is friendly, and are quite knowledgeable of the menu, wine list, and the history of the restaurant. It's tucked away on a quiet street, and the little outdoor patio is quaint and romantic. Most importantly, the food is fantastic! The menu changes regularly, and the food is not only beautiful to look at, but tastes great (and is reasonably priced). Overall, Basi is an authentic, exceptional food experience that will have you coming back.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysgmamax2Dined on 7/1/2014We had a fabulous dinner and a lovely time on the patio which we feel is one of the best outside dining venues in Columbus. It is a special place and you can always count on excellent food and great service.Special Features:
- excellent dinner exclusive locaitonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014Basi is always our choice for anniversary, birthday dinners in Columbus. The food, atmosphere and service cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendLuv2EatDined on 7/1/2014Basi Italia has a great patio with a nice canopy of trees. Get there early to get a table under the umbrella. While the menu is limited, the food was very good and served very quickly after ordering. The service was great. They were attentive without being annoying. This was my 1st time there and will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Special OccasionGoodDined on 6/26/2014We love to celebrate my birthday on the patio. The patio is a amazing. It was actually pretty cool compared to how hot it was outside. The food was amazing. We enjoyed the soups of the day and each got a pasta dish. We really enjoy Basi.Special Features:
- Basi was beautiful! we recommend itWonderphilDined on 6/25/2014This neighborhood restaurant has a good menu. Every item our group of five choose was done to perfection. This included appetizers, main dishes and desserts. Service was informative, friendly and wanting us to have a great experience. We did! We recommend this great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in ColumbusOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014We wanted to be seated on the patio, and we made the right choice! Immediately noticed basil growing everywhere and were impressed that they actually use the basil they grow... in their dishes. We couldn't pass up the featured Caprese salad, and the manager told us that the basil we had seen was the same basil that they use in the salad! We don't know a lot about wine, but we wanted something special, so our server suggested a perfect one that complimented our meal. And, we were fortunate enough to be seated at a table near some flowers and ivy that made for a really great picture. The food and service was incredible. So in love with this place!Special Features:
- blandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Friends had given great reviews of this place. We were excited to try it for date night. We both agreed that we would never go again and we wish we went somewhere else. Food had absolutely no taste. Maybe we ordered wrong but I will not be returning.
- WonderfullovefoodDined on 6/18/2014The food was outstanding. I found a bottle of wine from Napa Valley that is in very few restaurants in the country. The front of the house staff were so helpful and knowledgeable. And of course I have to give my accolades to the chef and his crew. The food was perfect.Special Features:
- Wow!anne522Dined on 6/18/2014I can't believe we've lived in Columbus for years and are just finding Basi. It's a great spot for dinner, friendly service and outstanding food.Special Features: