811 Highland St.
Columbus, OH 43215Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.basi-italia.com/
- Phone: (614) 294-7383
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Dornback
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Catering list at Smith Brothers Building. Party trays available for take out.
- Private Party Facilities: THE VENUE @ Smith Brothers Building
Displacement charges available for dinning room rental.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Warrick/ Trish Gentile 6142947383
A word from Basi Italia
Nestled in the heart of Victorian Village, Basi Italia is a small, casual, feel-good restaurant featuring clean, simple Italian fare with innovative twists. Basi focuses on being an approachable relaxed dining experience with a strong commitment to true hospitality. Chef John Dornback and wife Trish Gentile bring the importance of food, friends and fellowship that they embrace in their personal lives to the restaurant setting of Basi Italia. Imagine steaming plates of sumptuous food on intimate tables; friends and neighbors eating, drinking good wine and sharing their experiences with one another. Weather permitting, dining is available on the courtyard terrace where wine specialists and tastings are often an option. On chilly evenings, enjoy our heated outdoor bar area. Full service dining, carry out and delivery are all available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Basi Italia - Best Restaurants in Victorian Village ›
Basi Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (77)great for outdoor dining (73)romantic (61)special occasion (51)notable wine list (34)hot spot (21)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Neighborhood GemPepsterDined on 11/20/2014A little hard to find, but SO worth the effort! Valet parking is a must because street parking is very limited in the general area. But the food is why we went there, and we were not disappointed! The calamari appetizer was outstanding and we completely enjoyed the prosciutto wrapped scallops with a maple glaze on the vegetables (roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts). It was all yummy! We arrived during a rush of people so had to wait a bit to be noticed and served by the waiter after we were seated, but he was very attentive once he got to us. Seating inside is very close to the next tables but provided the opportunity to speak to our neighboring diners. The atmosphere is friendly. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basi Italia First VisitMikeyDined on 11/6/2014This was our first visit to Basi Italia and we most definitely return. The food was outstanding. The Lobster Butternut Squash Bisque was the best that we have ever eaten. The staff were very friendly and provided superb service. Because of its location and the difficulty in finding a parking space, you definitely should use the Valet Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/31/2014Every meal, we have ever had, at Basi has been simply wonderful! Inventive and appealing menu selections are perfectly prepared. Great cocktails and wine, too! The patio, in warm weather, is absolutely charming. The dining room is cozy, especially after dark, in the winter months. One of our favorite restaurants, in Columbus!Special Features:
- RegularseatoutrusDined on 10/30/2014We put Basi's at the top of our favorites with all the competition they have. This last experience was actually just ok, food was not spectacular as it usually is, my husband was still impressed. It will still be on our favorites list.Special Features:
- Always fantastic!trevandcyndiDined on 10/29/2014Get the zucchini pronto. From start to finish, this place never disappoints. Get the zucchini pronto. It's fine dining in a laid back, cool, neighborhood atmosphere. Get the zucchini pronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timersLBDinerDined on 10/25/2014We sat on the patio and the service was very good. They were more than willing to make my requested change to my dish. It was a very pleasant evening!Special Features:
- Great patio fantastic foodAJGLAWDined on 10/25/2014Took my girlfriend here for her b-day dinner. The food was incredible and on par with the best in Columbus; it is also very affordable and the wine selection is excellent. We had the pine nut, honey, and truffle flat bread for an appetizer as well as the beef short ribs over cream corn and the veal special (basically like veal cube steak over veggies). The food was served very hot. It was so tender and flavorful. We will be back, but probably not this winter because the patio will be closed. The inside is way too small and would be too crowded for us. Parking is easy to find off Neil Ave., and there is no need for valet although it is offered. Give it a shot, go the the patio!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014My wife and I recently celebrated her birthday at Basi. We had a wonderful dining experience and plan to get back to Basi very soon. The staff was very attentive, the atmosphere was nice, and the food was impeccably prepared. Our meals were absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Basi ItaliaFluffysFindDined on 10/16/2014Basi is a refreshing find in a charming location. Couldn't decide between the duck ragu and eggplant parm so order both, excellent and flavorful! The Norton Malbec paired nicely. Overall a very soothing dining experience for being in the downtown Columbus area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid B+/A-RobTVIPDined on 10/14/2014Title says it! This was a tasty, friendly, romantic spot. Food was quite tasty, service was so friendly, and drinks were an honest pour. As a group of 4, we hung for a while, and never once felt rushed. It was a very nice experience. I look forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The quality and uniqueness and freshness of the food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for my Foodie MomOutnAboutinCbusDined on 10/11/2014It was my first time at Basi so I was nervous to take my out of town parents here for my Mother's 65th birthday celebration. Although I had gotten the recommendation from a trusted source so I was optimistic. My foodie parents were not disappointed. Food and service were great. Our only complaints where were the bread was concerned. We received one dry biscotti like piece of bread with the salad/soup course and two pieces of bread with the meal. There was no endless basket of delicious breads for dipping in sauces. Otherwise it was fabulous. Will definitely be back and next time on their gorgeous patio.Special Features:
- Basi Italian DelitedaveDined on 10/10/2014The food was excellent and served hot. Timing of service was spot on. We were well taken care of.Special Features:
- CozynofoodieDined on 10/7/2014If you pay attention to the address, you'll easily find Basi Italia. Their menu offers variety. The night special, oven baked chilcken, was delicious; pasta with Italian sausage, and beef short ribs equally so. Table service was prompt and not overbearing. Ten or twelve tables of diners a cozy fit in the inside dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfavoriteplacesDined on 10/4/2014We had heard alot about Basi from friends and it was time for us to try it. Basi did not disappoint. Intimate dinning with excellent food and service. We had really good experience! Thanks Basi!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Charming .Food was excellent so was the service.Little expensive but worth it.w. I will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding findbeckydrouDined on 9/30/2014For over 9 months, I have been wanting to try Basi Italia. So when we needed a special place to celebrate and there was an open table available, it was perfect. Excellent food and service made the evening a great birthday. It is a cozy urban find in Victorian Village. We will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem!Grt2dinDined on 9/27/2014We loved our dinner on the patio, never expected to see a patio so nice tucked away behind the restaurant, very intimate setting-a neighborhood gem! Incredible food! Great service! We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food lovingly preparedfavorflavorDined on 9/24/2014There's enough variety on the menu to satisfy a broad range of tastes. Everything we've had there has been outstanding and beautifully presented. Our server was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningGromitDined on 9/20/2014Late reservations but didn't feel rushed at all. Very friendly, professional staff, and great menu as always. One of the best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanDined on 9/19/2014Our server, Tina, was very knowledgeable and has only been there 4 months food was delicious - only wished we could have dined outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/18/2014Always wonderful, feels like home to me. I have never had a bad meal or service. The ambiance, especially in the spring, summer and fall months out on the patio in the back is unrivaled. I feel like I am in a little Italian town enjoying authentic Italian cuisine. Both the bartenders and service staff are genuinely concerned with making your experience as wonderful as they can!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014WONDERFUL PLACE...GREAT SERVICE.....OUTSTANDING FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date-night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014Intimate (potentially tight) indoor seating in a refashioned living home and a wonderful green back patio and full bar. Service was prompt but not overbearing. Food was excellent and paced just right. I was told it was a gem here in Columbus and not dissapointed. Will be sure to check out again the next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Another great experienceReddDined on 9/11/2014Once again we had a wonderful dinning experience at Basi. The wait staff are very attentive and listen well to our banter as they surprised us with sides that we thought would make our foodie enjoyment even better. The food was excellent as always with the hit of the night being the lobster soup. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud and cramped inside; food fairthorDined on 9/5/2014music and atmosphere too loud; cramped; food not as described
- Great patio - can be quietBear70VIPDined on 9/3/2014Lovely evening here outside on the patio. Food and service excellent, and tasty wines were available under $30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6 out of 10DiningCbusDined on 8/30/2014The Parmesan Creme Brulee was exactly as described. It was perfect with the Sav Blanc the server recommended. The sear on the pork belly was non-existent and the texture was like eating a mushy ball of fat. The white bean concoction underneath the pork belly was full of flavor and well prepared. Prosciutto scallops were prepared well, but the strawberry, pea and parsnip mixture was TERRIBLE. Peas undercooked, parsnip was bitter and annoying and the strawberry was too random to bring all of that together. Mustard trout was AWFUL! All breading and couldn't even taste the fish. The veggies were amazing though. It felt like the chef was a contestant on Top Chef that made it to the 5th or 6th round. Great ideas with bad execution.Special Features:
- Basi is a gem!PowellfoodieDined on 8/30/2014We love Basi Italia and went there for our anniversary and a birthday of a great friend. We always enjoy this place and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves an intimate and very cool little gem of a restaurant! It holds a special place in our heart for the Columbus dining scene!Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerSarahSRigsDined on 8/27/2014My boyfriend took me here for a nice birthday dinner- we wanted to try a new place we'd never been before. Everything was lovely, from the savory shortbread they brought out to start. The parmesan creme brulee was different and delicious, and the mustard crusted trout was superb. I was skeptical that there wasn't a starch served with it, but it was a big portion of perfectly crisped fish over some incredibly tasty peppers. All in all exactly what I'd wanted for a special birthday meal.Special Features:
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014The appetizer of pistachio flatbread was delicious, as was the eggplant pram. The risotto, however, was undercooked and still crunchy with bland flavor. Therefore, the food is just better than mediocre. The place does have excellent service and a beautiful ambiance both inside and outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeKevinBDined on 8/22/2014Took my girlfriend there for her birthday. Food was outstanding, good service ; very quaint and romantic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Perfect little neighborhood spot to sit, relax and enjoy unique delicious food and drinks!! Service as GREAT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLuv2dineDined on 8/12/2014Food was amazing. My fork didn't leave my hand till I was finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic settingJeffreyDined on 8/9/2014One of the best outdoor patios in Columbus, Barcelona's and Lindey's come to mind. Make a reservation between 5 and 5:30 to snag an outdoor table. The food was nicely seasoned, somewhat creative Italian. The waitress did a nice job pairing the wine with our meals and tastes. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real hidden gem of a restaurantTomGVIPDined on 8/8/2014Ambiance on the patio is totally exceptional. Food is fantastic. Service is competent and gracious.Special Features:
- Basi is the bestUAlocavoreDined on 8/6/2014You can't order wrong here. Everything is high quality, lovingly prepared and delicious. Fresh ingredients, appealing but not overly pretentious presentation, and always delivered with above par service. A restaurant worth returning to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!anne522VIPDined on 8/5/2014Love this restaurant. The food is absolutely delicious. I had the butter poached cod, which not only tastes great, but is also beautifully presented. Asparagus spears, fingerling potatoes, orange colored grape tomatoes and a generous piece of cod. Yum yum!! I also had the Mediterranean tomato salad, which was exquisite. My husband had the Caesar salad, which he liked very much and then the Shrimp dish, which was awesome. Definitely recommend this restaurant - a quiet little spot with unbelievable food and service!Special Features:
- Great local find!ToddDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I were in from out of twon celebrating our 10th anniversary, and we were lucky enough to have found Basi Italia. The food is incredible, and the ambiance is great. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- The following 1199 reviews are from the Basi Italia reviews archive.
- Delicious food great wine listMCBfoodieDined on 7/29/2014Treat yourself and your favorite person to a night out at Basi. The food is delicious and prepared perfectly. And the wine list is fantastic! Ask Lisa for her favorite red - you cannot go wrong.Special Features: