Basho Japanese Brasserie
1338 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Basho Japanese Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bashosushi.com/
- Phone: 6172621338
- Hours of Operation:
Basho temporary new business hours:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 4:30PM-11:30PM
Dinner : Friday-Saturday 4:30PM-12:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offering catering for private and corporate Events. Please call the restaurant for further information and details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining options from 10-50 guests.
18% gratuity is included for parties of six or more people.
- Private Party Contact: Carina Wong 6172621338
A word from Basho Japanese Brasserie
Basho is a Japanese word that is roughly translated as "location" or "a space where activities occur". It could be a family gathering, socializing with friends, or a business event; moreover, it could be the setting for an unforgettable experience. We call this setting "Basho". Basho is a contemporary Izakaya brasserie. Here, dishes are prepared in three separate areas: the principal kitchen, the sushi bar, and the robata grill. Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, Basho serves dishes that are designed for sharing and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal. Your server will be happy to assist you in choosing a menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basho Japanese Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- MADMomDined on 10/3/2014After a very long day at the hospital with a loved one, a quiet delicious meal was delightful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014My first time at Basho. Great experience and I will definitely be back!
- Enjoyed itRickyDVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went using a Travelzoo coupon. My partner likes sushi and I got the coupon basically to make him happy. Going to this place gave me the brownie points I was hoping for PLUS I got a really nice meal as well. My favorite was the cod appetizer and I really liked the lobster tempura sushi roll--but all was good. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like2dineoutVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always good food but menu changed - no more robata grill -- too bad but still ok & would go anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and CocktailsMattVIPDined on 8/23/2014Steamed buns, fresh sushi, an inviting menu, and great cocktails. What more do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyMeghanDined on 8/9/2014The food was great and they took very good care of our group, bumping someone's order up so our friend who showed up late was served at the same time.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food is very good and service is fine.. However their charge of $25 for 14 yr old Oban seems excessive.Special Features:
- Good Food, Confusing MenutecrunnerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Basho serves up a nice variety of very tasty traditional Japanese dishes (sushi, sashimi, a variety of hand rolls) as well as larger portions as meal entrees. The challenge is trying to put together a meal that is either enough, or way too much food. Most often, we observe people ordering way too much. With a couple of repeat visits, you can get the hang of it for portioning. Regardless, its a great pre-game spot for a Sox game, but give yourself more lead time than you would expect to make first pitch. Achilles heel here is the service: all very friendly, accommodating, but not very efficient from kitchen to table; long wait times for orders, and again for check out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Based on the reviews, I expected it to be the best sushi I ever had. It wasn't. It was good, that's it. Mediocre rolls, ok fish, nothing spectacular. Nothing special about the special rolls Our server was very attentive and nice, but sometimes borderline annoying. She asked my husband if he knew how to make a sake bomb and he replied "yes", she said "I love that about you, most people don't know" ... seriously? ;)) come on! The decor was very nice. there's seating outside which I normally prefer, but construction and very busy traffic on the street deterred me from that option.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Friendly staff that the manager stopped by as well. The decor was nice and modern. There were limited outdoor seating that faced the busy Bolyston street with limited view of Fenway park. Show yr day of game day ticket for 15% off. The food was good; although sushi pieces were a little on small side. Steamed buns and the katsu chic sandwich was well done and tasty. Would go back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphereSalemRainbowDined on 7/13/2014This is not your typical Japanese restaurant, but has a much more modern vibe to it. The food is very good, and the service is decent. Our server was not well-supported by her assistant, it seemed, and we had to ask for things the assistant should have been automatically providing more than once. The food was solid, but not nearly as interesting a menu as it used to be the last time we were there, which may have been a couple of years ago. We live a 45 minute drive from here, and it used to be worth the trip. Now I feel that we would not make that long trip to get "just" what they had. That doesn't mean it is not worth eating here, just not worth a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing excitingrheesterDined on 7/6/2014pretty much your standard fare japanese food. considering the other options for japanese food in boston, no real reason to try here. I tried the ramen and was underwhelmed. the pork was cooked well, but the noodles were nothing notable.
- Reliably good sushiBostonGurlVIPDined on 7/4/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood, so we regularly visit Basho and have never had a bad experience. The food is always reliably very good!Special Features:
- delicious food - moody serverlookingoutforothersDined on 6/27/2014I dined at Basho with four girlfriends, one of whom recommended this spot as her favorite sushi restaurant in Boston. The food was excellent. Unfortunately, our server, upon hearing that only one of us would be drinking alcohol, and perhaps thinking that our initial food order was too meager to generate a substantial gratuity, was rude to us. His demeanor was off-putting. He appeared annoyed by some of our clarifying questions regarding the menu and responded in a patronizing tone. He seemed to come around over the course of the evening, as we essentially doubled our food order and decided to "kill him with kindness" just in case he was having a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Going BackFeedMeVIPDined on 6/26/2014Good sushi, but service was ATROCIOUS. 25 minutes for drinks, 45 for edamame (!!) and nearly an hour for sushi. Tried discussing situation with manager who became very defensive and unapologetic. Sinks in women's bathroom did not work so patrons (employees!?!) could not wash their hands.
- Excellent!Liz044Dined on 6/25/2014Great for hosting as its not too crowded, and food and service impress! Very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- The following 391 reviews are from the Basho Japanese Brasserie reviews archive.
- Great environment!MalloryVIPDined on 6/17/2014We had a great date night at Basho, to use our Groupon. I really liked the vibe and space, as it was not too crowded, and was pretty spacious in terms of seating. the food and drinks were delicious, but everything seemed to take quite a while. The place was empty, and our waiter kept coming over to tell us the "bartender is really backed up." I can't really imagine being there when it's crowded! I would go back though, it was nice ambience, and we were able to have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014The waitress we had was very polite and friendly. Always checking up on us at the right time. Never had to seek her out. The food was good. Sushi boat for 2 was very filling although we did add 2 sushi maki rolls to the boat. Drinks were superb. Right amount of mixture. First time and we've been exploring different sushi places in Boston and this one was a good find for us. Good for a date night. Not overcrowded and the parking validation was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushitjjeVIPDined on 6/13/2014As always - great sushi and the friendliest service around. We have never had a bad experience here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014The sushi was prepared and presented beautifully. The menu selection has all the choices you would expect to see and others that will blow you away. Just awesome dining experience in a fun place.Special Features:
- Still tastes great but missing markMaAbDined on 5/25/2014I am a basho regular. It has been my husband An my favorite reatauraunt for the past 3 years. First the renovated which we were unsure about. Sure it's pretty now, but we loved the look before. Now they've changed te menu. DONT MESS WITH A GOOD THING! We Used to love their scallop kiwi rolls .... Those are no longer available. Additionally, we used to love the tempura sweet potato rolls, made with chunks of tempurad sweet potato. Now it's not on the menu and if you ask for it it's not made with a chunk, but rather soggy sweet potato fries. If you don't know what you're missing, the food is still good. However, as regulars, now that two of our three favorite rolls are gone, we will stop going. Basho lost two of its best customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lynnlynnVIPDined on 5/21/2014takes a very long time to get food either from the kitchen or sushi. If you are going to a Red Sox game give yourself plenty of time.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Went here before red sox and should have been tipped off by the fact that every other restaurant around was hopping. Took a long time to get water on the table and drink orders filled. Food is fine but nothing too special delivered at a snail's pace. Mixed drinks were mediocre. Lesson learned - make reservations far in advance for red sox games and don't bother with Basho.
- Best Fenway food ever!MomoVIPDined on 5/17/2014Four of us had a wonderful pregame dinner at basho's. A little odd to have Japanese food before a baseball game, but a nice complement to Uehara.Our waitress Khanh was great: sense of humor, very attentive, knew the menu and put up with my husband's and our friend's bad jokes. A rare combination. Sat out side, had a ginger margarita.... Easy T ride to Fenway stop and 5 min from park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's the best!!!!!!!SteveVIPDined on 5/10/2014They have the best food in Boston. It's a must tryI would recommend this to a friend.
- almost there...adamVIPDined on 5/9/2014I keep wanting this place to be a little better. It is a great space and they redesigned it last year, but they can't seem to get the lighting or design quite right. There is something about the lighting which doesn't create any warmth to the space. They also have it very divided into 3 separate spaces which I am not sure works. The food is very good and reasonably priced, but I find their maki rolls to be very, very small for the price as compared with other sushi places that I like. Good quality food, but just not memorable. I like the udon, seaweed salad and some of the other non-sushi options as well.
- Consistently good.....FoodieDined on 5/5/2014Basho always has great food and service. Without reservation I would recommend it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014The server was amazing and very accommodating of my girlfriends gluten free status.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennVIPDined on 5/3/2014Terrific Sushi! It does not get too much better for quality sushi and sashimi. I am not in love with the modern style of the restaurant but that is personal taste, likely resulting from my ever advancing age.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovejuicyqueenDined on 5/3/2014My daughter and I get cravings and it's for more than sushi.. its for Basho!! Now I have my cousin hooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner before the showbeckroseDined on 5/3/2014Our table was ready when we arrived having made a reservation. The drink orders took too long and when they did arrive, they were disappointingly small and incorrectly prepared . The food was excellent. Everyone in the party of 7 enjoyed their meals. We did have two 20 year old young men with us and they were disappointed about the small portions of the appetizers! Overall it was a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceSteveVIPDined on 4/30/2014The food is awesome and the service is great. They have the best sushi in Boston. Also the other food they have is great too.
- Noisy RamenmarisakalDined on 4/26/2014The ramen was solid - the broth was flavorful, but the meat inside it was fatty. The same beat kept playing the entire meal and got pretty annoying.
- Good Sushi Near Fenway Parkedgy39Dined on 4/20/2014Basho offers a welcome haven from the beer-and-burger scene that prevails in the shadow of Fenway. Decent portions of sushi and sashimi standards, quiet dining space and reasonably priced wines, and just-right service make for a fine pregame or postseason experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Very good meal, nice ambiance, and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good servicelovesSushiDined on 4/18/2014There were 6 of us and the restaurant put us at a long table where we could all chat. The food was excellent and between me and one other girl we ordered 3 apps, and 5 rolls (we over ordered for sure and should have only ordered 3 or 4 rolls most likely). The food was excellent quality. Service was good but I wish the girl came around a bit more. Overall, I WILL BE BACK FOR MORE :)Special Features:
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/18/2014Our friends and I are huge sushi fans and to find this place directly behind Fenway Park was awesome since we are Season ticket holders and frequent quite a few games during the Season. The prices are very good considering it's in Boston but most importantly the quality of the food is very fresh which is extremely important when ordering sushi. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and recommended some great items for the table. If attending a Sox game this is the place to go. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- very good as usualstevegVIPDined on 4/10/2014We have been to Basho many times….believe it along with Duozo ( same owners ) are best sushi restaurants in Boston. Food is consistently very good as is the service. Steamed buns on new menu are excellentSpecial Features:
- The sushi was very good, andDougSabbagDined on 4/5/2014The sushi was very good, and because they give you a parking validation and a 15% discount if you show your ticket(s) to a Red Sox game, this is a perfect place to eat before the game!!! It is right at the end of Yawkey Way, so you are well located for Fenway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacho is BesttjjeVIPDined on 4/3/2014This sushi restaurant continues to deliver excellent food. It was a little busy due to the Red Sox game, but still handled our reservation on time and with the usual friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.