3459 N Verdugo Rd
Glendale, CA 91208Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bashanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (818) 541-1532
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday:5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Bashan
Bashan Restaurant is a casual fine dining neighborhood restaurant. Constantly searching for the best ingredients, our menus are farmer’s market driven and change seasonally. We incorporate classic French technique in all of our preparations infusing California, Mediterranean and Asian practices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bashan - Best Restaurants in Glendale ›
Bashan reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (75)special occasion (63)romantic (44)notable wine list (13)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- BashanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014What a great place, a real gem. Beautiful décor and the food is outstanding. From entering and being greeted by Ku and then our server Lizzie, it was a wonderful experience. Lizzie was knowledgeable about the menu and the wines, we did the wine pairing dinner, from appetizer to coffee just fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve66VIPDined on 11/14/2014This is food every bit as good as you'd find at the Michelin-starred restaurants of LA or SF. And at a fraction of the cost, in a casual, neighborhood setting. We've been a number of times, and every time, I wonder why we don't visit more often. Only drawbacks on this last visit...we had the 5-course tasting menu, and the lag time between certain dishes was pretty long. Also, the wine pairings, while thoughtfully chosen, were RIDICULOUSLY TINY pours. To make matters worse, our tasting of cabernet arrived a full 10 minutes before the accompanying beef dish. Kinda hard to enjoy the two together that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishPurduefordDined on 11/1/2014We did not opt for the tasting menu, although it was recommended by our server. Instead we ordered four appetizers and four entrees for our group of four and did the fork swap. The pork belly app is a must, very vibrant Asian flavors. The others were decent. The skirt steak was out of this world, very African in its spice. The braised beef cheeks were also spot on, with Italian ragu flavors. The deconstructed "cheescake" dessert was special. Very well staffed for a small restaurant, and wait times for food were minimal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014The amuse-bouche was perfection as always, our two servings of oysters were incredibly wonderful.
- Saturday Dinner DateAdventurousVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was our first time dining at this restaurant and I really don't know what to expect. The place is quaint. Since it was our first time we don't know what to order and our server recommended pork belly for appetizer and that was hit. The scallops for my entree dish was so-so. I had better. We had cheesecake for desert and I highly recommend it. I t is a must when you go to this restaurant. Overall, my dining experience was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING gem to visit!!zoegDined on 10/30/2014Referred by friends, and enjoyed an anniversary dinner that was special for the cuisine (wonderful), service (warm), and environment (welcoming). We will go back - many times!Special Features:
- not much value for the price.ElaineDined on 10/28/2014The place is small giving it the appeal of a vibrant restaurant. The staff was friendly but not well versed in food or wine presentation. The main scallops were OK. The halibut was mouth watering. As well as the octopus app. The sashimi was really good too! We also had the oysters but they were tiny. The bread pudding dessert and pana cotta were not memorable.Special Features:
- 5 stars, as usual!DrVfromGlendaleDined on 10/25/2014We have introduced some of our West LA friends to Bashan, and they loved it so much they wanted to go back again! We enjoyed everything immensely!Special Features:
- A Gem in Glendale!EatrOutrsDined on 10/25/2014Lovely Restaraunt with a superb eye for every detail. Well thought out menu with points and counterpoints in every dish. Subtle use of all flavors. Yet the service was neighbor hoodie and so friendly and welcoming. Just a lovely dining experience. Highly highly recommend. If you are looking for Beverly Hills trendy, go to Beverly Hills. This is intimate dining at its finest in Glendale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichieRichDined on 10/24/2014Very Special resturant. Food was fantastic, wait staff were friendly and very well rehearsed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oh, what a nightLynnVIPDined on 10/16/2014After the jack o' lanterns at Descanso we headed to Montrose to Bashan's for dinner. We had read lots of good reviews when they opened some time ago and friends had recommended them, so we were looking forward to a nice dinner. The food still blew us away. The pork belly appetizer is divine so don't miss it. The scallops were outstanding and accompanied by small, interesting veggies. The Buttermilk Panna Cotta with pomegranate granita, kalamata olive caramel and puff pastry biscuits was a taste sensation. The three course menu offered last night was a good value as well. We will be back.Special Features:
- Buzz and Jason ate hereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/12/2014Food is always impressive and this was gourmet hamburger night - fantastic!! Noise level is always on the high side so not really a romantic spot but it's good food and great service in the 'hood.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemGLiquorAmericanDined on 10/11/2014If you live in the area you have no excuse not to go. If you live in the west side of of town you have no excuse not to go. Whether you're walking distance or have to brave the 10 to the 101 to the 5 to the 2 - no matter, Bashan is worth the effort. This place is truly a gem and is guaranteed to introduce you to some phenomenal food. I highly recommend the 5 course tasting menu.Special Features:
- Great Date Spot!GuiltyPleasureDined on 10/10/2014I was in town visiting from San Francisco, to take a lovely lady out for a first date. It was a set-up by my sister, and even though I am from Pasadena, I wasn't sure a restaurant of this quality existed in Glendale. I was SUPER impressed and Bryce - our server - was spot-on and made me look like a stud. If all goes well with this, I'd love to come back to celebrate at Bashan. My date loved the place, and didn't know it existed either. Come to think of it, regardless of outcome [with said date], I will come back to Bashan! A great place for a date for sure!Special Features:
- Amazing!LovetoeatDined on 10/10/2014Wonderful place, incredible food. I have been here many times and I love it everytime. It's foodie heaven but not pretentious at all. If you are adventurous, let the chef pick. It's the best place in the area by far.Special Features:
- FanfreakingtasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Had not been for a few years and was very excited to go. Tasting menu was perfect combination of flavors, portions, and timing. Service was on point, attentive, and knowledgeable. Only drawback was I wanted everything on the menu.Special Features:
- Bashan 4th visitJohnLCFDined on 9/27/2014We like it so much a week ago that we came back. This time we had sashimi and pork loin roast (with apple kim-chi!!) Everything was excellent once again. We highly recommend Bishan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TennyBearVIPDined on 9/24/2014What an amazing dinner! The food was definitely the highlight of this restaurant. I had the lobster risotto and scallops. Everything was cooked perfectly and seasoned just right. It was so good I plan to go back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiinerHankVIPDined on 9/24/2014The best food in Los Angeles county. Every dish we had was as good as it gets. The flavors were outstanding. You can spend a lot more in LA but the food will not be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014I had the five course chef tasting. Each course was presented and explained and each course was very flavorful. I couldn't have been happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMaddogDined on 9/21/2014This has to be my favorite restaurant right now. It's great to have such a high-end restaurant without having to go to Beverly Hills and pay 2 to 3 times as much. Every time I go the menu is different, and I love the creativity chef brings to the table. The portions are not huge, but the food is meant to be savored not devoured. Please don't insult chef by ordering the meat medium or well done, he does it a perfect medium rare, and there's no sense in messing with perfection. Everything I've ever ordered is simply fabulous; you can really tell that chef puts great care into the food, and I really appreciate it.Special Features:
- Bashan 4th visitJohnLCFDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant NEVER disappoints. It's tiny, elegant, and has interesting things on its menu. Must get reservations for a Saturday night visit. Best dish (all were excellent…) was brazed pork belly. Sous-chef graciously advised us how he'd made it. Wine selection, like menu, is small, but very well suited. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food and wine was outstanding and we hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peace RestoredjmatandemDined on 9/7/2014Last time I was here, just a few weeks ago, it was so noisy I wasn't sure I'd ever return. However, they lured me back with a Groupon, so we went with some friends (in fact, it was the friends that first introduced us to bash an), and all was well. The noise level was nothing like it had been - perhaps they turned down the volume on the music, and the guests no longer needed to shout to be heard - and we had a wonderful evening once again. The food, like always, was wonderful!Special Features:
- Nice unique little restaurantDinedOutDined on 9/4/2014I enjoyed my food at Bashan. My friend and I shared a green salad, the Duck Breast and the steak. The food was good. Interesting little one-bite mystery appetizer (free) that included mashed mango and salmon roe. Interesting that there was no bread or anything like that brought to the table. It was *very* noisy, so not great for talking. Not a kid-friendly place because it's very small and the tables are quite close together. It's more a date night place. Huge favorite was the Buttermilk Panna cotta with frozen or chilled Pomegranate crushed on top. Absolutely creamy, heavenly, wonderful dessert. Parking is bad. There are one or two other restaurants right on that block, no parking lot for the restaurant. We parked on the next street over.Special Features:
- Decent placeslmtVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food here is pretty good; standard for LA, but I think the food is a bit overpriced with the small portions.Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Although this is only my second time, friends (foodies) who were with me both times go often and said they have never been disappointed. Three in our party were first timers we all agreed that Bashan should become a habit. Food quality and presentation were terrific.Special Features:
- Nice option for locals.LeontineDined on 8/26/2014But not worth the 10 mile drive from Los Feliz. Spartan decor with little warmth & polish, in contrast to a menu which seems carefully orchestrated for impact. We sat next to a family with 2 young children who played video games the entire meal. Center tables close together with rigid, thin dividers. We saw the menu online and were expecting a different restaurant experience. Our starters and entrees was indeed quite good. Both roll offerings were dry, something they should work on. Panda cotta for dessert was a nice light touch. Pretty stemware, nice wines by the glass.Special Features:
- A very good fineluv2eatDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is a little hard to find the first time, as it is a small place. The décor is light and modern and the tables are efficiently placed for a small space, you don't feel cramped. The food is amazing and the presentation of each dish is done really well. The wine pairing was not as good and not a good value for the pour. We ordered the 3 course meal and really enjoyed it. We plan on going back on a Wednesday when we can bring our own wine and there is no corkage fee.Special Features:
- like being homeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014we love this tiny little place and the personal, attentive service we've always gotten here. i've taken my mom here for on two separate special occasions and it's the perfect, charming experience that allows you to relax, enjoy great food, and connect with your dining partners. the servers and hosts are personable and friendly. my mom wanted some wine but is a lightweight so the server offered to split a glass of wine into two glasses. it's the little things that matter. the food is excellent but the experience is such a far stretch from the expensive, trendy, hollywood dining scene that this is always going to be a go-to for me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Excellent food in our neighborhood - don't have to go to the westside. Was presented with a lovely amuse bouche. Portions were substantial, and food was delicious. Very nice seasonal and creative menu. My only complaint would be if one is going to have a Prix -fixe 3-course menu is to just have the prix- fixe without the "supplement" on a few menu items. Sunday burgers are amazing!!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014The food at Bashan was exceptional. The Scottish Salmon was perfectly cooked and the Hamachi appetizer just melted in your mouth. My wife had the Wild Halibut and it was delicious. As an aside, we appreciated the chef's flexibility in serving the squid ink on the side as my wife was not sure she would like the taste. The service was also good but the wine selection was a bit bare. I suggest bringing your own wine. We will be back when we return to LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost to noisy to enjoyjmatandemDined on 8/17/2014This was a return visit to what I remembered as a very pleasant dining experience about a year ago (I live a fair distance from Bashan). I chose the restaurant for a dinner for us and two other couples that had never been. The food was as I remembered - very good and very interesting; not your usual fare. However, I did not remember it being so noisy. We could hardly hear the person next to us, let alone the ones at the other end of the table. I suppose I'll return, but only as a couple, four people at the most. It was simply too noisy to enjoy with others.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!DrVfromGlendaleDined on 8/16/2014We have never been disappointed at Bashan! The food is exceptional! We brought some West LA friends who pride themselves on knowing the best places to eat and they were impressed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Always great food!!! Our waitress was attentive. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Other than being a little slow in the delivery of the food, dinner was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$$$$$BandJVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is the Glendale areas best restaurant. Perfectly prepared dishes, great service and a sophisticated ambiance. We come here often and recommend it whenever someone asks for a gourmet place in town. It is a bit pricy though. The scallops are large and cut in half but $32.00 for two is a bit much.Special Features:
- Glendale GemCampbell3SoupVIPDined on 8/8/2014Quiet and exquisite, this east side surprise offers romantic dining for a date or with friends. Chef Bashan creates a menu of delicious offerings paired with beer or wine. The scallops were the best I have tasted. My husband and I celebrated our fifth anniversary there and were very glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Ribbon BashanLeeBabi1Dined on 7/31/2014Intoxicating aromas eminanting from small kitchen space greeted our party of four as we entered Bashan's sophisticated and understated dining space (love the lamps). Our party ordered the chef's tasting menu of five courses with accompanying wine and were presented immeiately with two amuse bouche presentation. It was a prelude to the culinary expedition in which we were about to embark. Four savory courses, roasted halibut, seared scallops, a pork dish followed by a combo: NY and skirt steak. All presentations were culinary works of art. Flavors were sublime and all elements prepared properly and paired perfectly with selected wines. Pastry chef presented four scrumtuous desserts (we shared). Service was professional and friendly.Special Features:
- OTM *Loves* BashanjeffDined on 7/29/2014We're a small production house in LA and we wanted to take our crew out to a special evening / experience to thank them for their hard work. A friend recommended Bashan and I will be indebted to them for the excellent recommendation. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating of our party (10 strong) and the 5 course recommendation was a perfect progression leading to the main course (which I won't reveal .. although it was excellent). Finished by a desert selection where the house mixed up our deserts so that we could all share .. which we did and had great fun sharing.\ I recommend the wine-pairings .. The servers and host of Bashan were superb. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 54 reviews are from the Bashan reviews archive.