3459 N Verdugo Rd
Glendale, CA 91208Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bashanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8185411532x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday:5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Bashan
Bashan Restaurant is a casual fine dining neighborhood restaurant. Constantly searching for the best ingredients, our menus are farmer’s market driven and change seasonally. We incorporate classic French technique in all of our preparations infusing California, Mediterranean and Asian practices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bashan - Best Restaurants in Glendale ›
Bashan reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (94)special occasion (77)romantic (50)notable wine list (15)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- oh, what a nightLynnVIPDined on 10/16/2014After the jack o' lanterns at Descanso we headed to Montrose to Bashan's for dinner. We had read lots of good reviews when they opened some time ago and friends had recommended them, so we were looking forward to a nice dinner. The food still blew us away. The pork belly appetizer is divine so don't miss it. The scallops were outstanding and accompanied by small, interesting veggies. The Buttermilk Panna Cotta with pomegranate granita, kalamata olive caramel and puff pastry biscuits was a taste sensation. The three course menu offered last night was a good value as well. We will be back.Special Features:
- Buzz and Jason ate hereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/12/2014Food is always impressive and this was gourmet hamburger night - fantastic!! Noise level is always on the high side so not really a romantic spot but it's good food and great service in the 'hood.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemGLiquorAmericanDined on 10/11/2014If you live in the area you have no excuse not to go. If you live in the west side of of town you have no excuse not to go. Whether you're walking distance or have to brave the 10 to the 101 to the 5 to the 2 - no matter, Bashan is worth the effort. This place is truly a gem and is guaranteed to introduce you to some phenomenal food. I highly recommend the 5 course tasting menu.Special Features:
- Great Date Spot!GuiltyPleasureDined on 10/10/2014I was in town visiting from San Francisco, to take a lovely lady out for a first date. It was a set-up by my sister, and even though I am from Pasadena, I wasn't sure a restaurant of this quality existed in Glendale. I was SUPER impressed and Bryce - our server - was spot-on and made me look like a stud. If all goes well with this, I'd love to come back to celebrate at Bashan. My date loved the place, and didn't know it existed either. Come to think of it, regardless of outcome [with said date], I will come back to Bashan! A great place for a date for sure!Special Features:
- Amazing!LovetoeatDined on 10/10/2014Wonderful place, incredible food. I have been here many times and I love it everytime. It's foodie heaven but not pretentious at all. If you are adventurous, let the chef pick. It's the best place in the area by far.Special Features:
- FanfreakingtasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Had not been for a few years and was very excited to go. Tasting menu was perfect combination of flavors, portions, and timing. Service was on point, attentive, and knowledgeable. Only drawback was I wanted everything on the menu.Special Features:
- Bashan 4th visitJohnLCFDined on 9/27/2014We like it so much a week ago that we came back. This time we had sashimi and pork loin roast (with apple kim-chi!!) Everything was excellent once again. We highly recommend Bishan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TennyBearDined on 9/24/2014What an amazing dinner! The food was definitely the highlight of this restaurant. I had the lobster risotto and scallops. Everything was cooked perfectly and seasoned just right. It was so good I plan to go back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiinerHankVIPDined on 9/24/2014The best food in Los Angeles county. Every dish we had was as good as it gets. The flavors were outstanding. You can spend a lot more in LA but the food will not be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014I had the five course chef tasting. Each course was presented and explained and each course was very flavorful. I couldn't have been happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMaddogDined on 9/21/2014This has to be my favorite restaurant right now. It's great to have such a high-end restaurant without having to go to Beverly Hills and pay 2 to 3 times as much. Every time I go the menu is different, and I love the creativity chef brings to the table. The portions are not huge, but the food is meant to be savored not devoured. Please don't insult chef by ordering the meat medium or well done, he does it a perfect medium rare, and there's no sense in messing with perfection. Everything I've ever ordered is simply fabulous; you can really tell that chef puts great care into the food, and I really appreciate it.Special Features:
- Bashan 4th visitJohnLCFDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant NEVER disappoints. It's tiny, elegant, and has interesting things on its menu. Must get reservations for a Saturday night visit. Best dish (all were excellent…) was brazed pork belly. Sous-chef graciously advised us how he'd made it. Wine selection, like menu, is small, but very well suited. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food and wine was outstanding and we hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peace RestoredjmatandemDined on 9/7/2014Last time I was here, just a few weeks ago, it was so noisy I wasn't sure I'd ever return. However, they lured me back with a Groupon, so we went with some friends (in fact, it was the friends that first introduced us to bash an), and all was well. The noise level was nothing like it had been - perhaps they turned down the volume on the music, and the guests no longer needed to shout to be heard - and we had a wonderful evening once again. The food, like always, was wonderful!Special Features:
- Nice unique little restaurantDinedOutDined on 9/4/2014I enjoyed my food at Bashan. My friend and I shared a green salad, the Duck Breast and the steak. The food was good. Interesting little one-bite mystery appetizer (free) that included mashed mango and salmon roe. Interesting that there was no bread or anything like that brought to the table. It was *very* noisy, so not great for talking. Not a kid-friendly place because it's very small and the tables are quite close together. It's more a date night place. Huge favorite was the Buttermilk Panna cotta with frozen or chilled Pomegranate crushed on top. Absolutely creamy, heavenly, wonderful dessert. Parking is bad. There are one or two other restaurants right on that block, no parking lot for the restaurant. We parked on the next street over.Special Features:
- Decent placeslmtVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food here is pretty good; standard for LA, but I think the food is a bit overpriced with the small portions.Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Although this is only my second time, friends (foodies) who were with me both times go often and said they have never been disappointed. Three in our party were first timers we all agreed that Bashan should become a habit. Food quality and presentation were terrific.Special Features:
- Nice option for locals.LeontineDined on 8/26/2014But not worth the 10 mile drive from Los Feliz. Spartan decor with little warmth & polish, in contrast to a menu which seems carefully orchestrated for impact. We sat next to a family with 2 young children who played video games the entire meal. Center tables close together with rigid, thin dividers. We saw the menu online and were expecting a different restaurant experience. Our starters and entrees was indeed quite good. Both roll offerings were dry, something they should work on. Panda cotta for dessert was a nice light touch. Pretty stemware, nice wines by the glass.Special Features:
- A very good fineluv2eatDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is a little hard to find the first time, as it is a small place. The décor is light and modern and the tables are efficiently placed for a small space, you don't feel cramped. The food is amazing and the presentation of each dish is done really well. The wine pairing was not as good and not a good value for the pour. We ordered the 3 course meal and really enjoyed it. We plan on going back on a Wednesday when we can bring our own wine and there is no corkage fee.Special Features:
- like being homeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014we love this tiny little place and the personal, attentive service we've always gotten here. i've taken my mom here for on two separate special occasions and it's the perfect, charming experience that allows you to relax, enjoy great food, and connect with your dining partners. the servers and hosts are personable and friendly. my mom wanted some wine but is a lightweight so the server offered to split a glass of wine into two glasses. it's the little things that matter. the food is excellent but the experience is such a far stretch from the expensive, trendy, hollywood dining scene that this is always going to be a go-to for me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Excellent food in our neighborhood - don't have to go to the westside. Was presented with a lovely amuse bouche. Portions were substantial, and food was delicious. Very nice seasonal and creative menu. My only complaint would be if one is going to have a Prix -fixe 3-course menu is to just have the prix- fixe without the "supplement" on a few menu items. Sunday burgers are amazing!!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014The food at Bashan was exceptional. The Scottish Salmon was perfectly cooked and the Hamachi appetizer just melted in your mouth. My wife had the Wild Halibut and it was delicious. As an aside, we appreciated the chef's flexibility in serving the squid ink on the side as my wife was not sure she would like the taste. The service was also good but the wine selection was a bit bare. I suggest bringing your own wine. We will be back when we return to LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost to noisy to enjoyjmatandemDined on 8/17/2014This was a return visit to what I remembered as a very pleasant dining experience about a year ago (I live a fair distance from Bashan). I chose the restaurant for a dinner for us and two other couples that had never been. The food was as I remembered - very good and very interesting; not your usual fare. However, I did not remember it being so noisy. We could hardly hear the person next to us, let alone the ones at the other end of the table. I suppose I'll return, but only as a couple, four people at the most. It was simply too noisy to enjoy with others.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!DrVfromGlendaleDined on 8/16/2014We have never been disappointed at Bashan! The food is exceptional! We brought some West LA friends who pride themselves on knowing the best places to eat and they were impressed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Always great food!!! Our waitress was attentive. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Other than being a little slow in the delivery of the food, dinner was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$$$$$BandJVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is the Glendale areas best restaurant. Perfectly prepared dishes, great service and a sophisticated ambiance. We come here often and recommend it whenever someone asks for a gourmet place in town. It is a bit pricy though. The scallops are large and cut in half but $32.00 for two is a bit much.Special Features:
- Glendale GemCampbell3SoupVIPDined on 8/8/2014Quiet and exquisite, this east side surprise offers romantic dining for a date or with friends. Chef Bashan creates a menu of delicious offerings paired with beer or wine. The scallops were the best I have tasted. My husband and I celebrated our fifth anniversary there and were very glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Ribbon BashanLeeBabi1Dined on 7/31/2014Intoxicating aromas eminanting from small kitchen space greeted our party of four as we entered Bashan's sophisticated and understated dining space (love the lamps). Our party ordered the chef's tasting menu of five courses with accompanying wine and were presented immeiately with two amuse bouche presentation. It was a prelude to the culinary expedition in which we were about to embark. Four savory courses, roasted halibut, seared scallops, a pork dish followed by a combo: NY and skirt steak. All presentations were culinary works of art. Flavors were sublime and all elements prepared properly and paired perfectly with selected wines. Pastry chef presented four scrumtuous desserts (we shared). Service was professional and friendly.Special Features:
- OTM *Loves* BashanjeffDined on 7/29/2014We're a small production house in LA and we wanted to take our crew out to a special evening / experience to thank them for their hard work. A friend recommended Bashan and I will be indebted to them for the excellent recommendation. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating of our party (10 strong) and the 5 course recommendation was a perfect progression leading to the main course (which I won't reveal .. although it was excellent). Finished by a desert selection where the house mixed up our deserts so that we could all share .. which we did and had great fun sharing.\ I recommend the wine-pairings .. The servers and host of Bashan were superb. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDudeVIPDined on 7/27/2014Small space with great food. Good variety on the menu, with everything prepared well. Best duck I have ever had, and I have had it here a lot. Could improve on the waitstaff. Not much to do about the small space. But the food makes it more than worthwhile.Special Features:
- OutstandingDavidDined on 7/26/2014I cannot wait to go back. We tried the chef's menu. Every course was excellent. The service was equally excellent. We need more restaurants like this one. One member of my party has a food allergy. No problem for Bashan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time there, and planning a 3rdAgga11Dined on 7/26/2014The first time at Bashan we did the sample menu with wine pairing. So this time around we were with another couple and we all agreed to get something different and share. It worked out perfectly. We started off with a Lobster Risotto, this was very rich (I only could do one bite, but it was tasty). We also enjoyed the Oysters. Entrees: New Bedford Scallops, Wild Alaskan Halibut Fennel, Roasted Duck Breast, and the Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin “Asian Style” . All four dishes were very good, full of flavor and presented beautiful. Desserts: I didn't care for the Tiramisu but my friend LOVED it and finished it off by himself. The Bread pudding was great! Make reservations, bring your own wine for $15 corkage, and enjoy!Special Features:
- Hidden Foodie Gem!BobfoodieDined on 7/26/2014Small hidden restaurant that deserves a larger venue. Put this chef on a major watch list! My wife and I had the 5 course chef tasting menu and I did the wine pairing. The following is a perfect testament: my wife is a light eater and not much of a foodie and was going get the 3 course menu. She said she would go ahead and order the 5 course (as the menu states everybody at the table must participate) and she would share what she couldn't eat with me. At the end of the meal she had eaten everything on her plate. And it was plenty for me and I'm a big eater.Special Features:
- Celebrating an 89th birthdaymomsadocDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant lives up to the best of its reviews. It is small with about 30 seats, tables of two and four with one large table for six in the center. the decor is contemporary, but simple and refined. Our server was was friendly and attentive. The food was excellent. Two of us thoroughly enjoyed the cold red pepper bisque, duck, and butterscotch panna cotta (and one with a candle for the his 89th birthday dinner). The other two had the scallops and beef cheeks respectively. Food was well prepared with a wonderful melange of flavors. The bottle of French cabernet franc nicely complemented everyone's dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally UnderratedPennonDined on 7/25/2014Found several reviews of this place saying it was one of the most underrated restuarants in LA. Totally lived up to that billing. Great food while being totally unpretentious.Special Features:
- Perfect Dinner ExperienceKrisA7Dined on 7/18/2014I had researched online about a location in Montrose and this place called Bashan was among 20 of the most underrated restaurants in Los Angeles. After our experience I can see why that is the case. According to our waitress' Elizabeth the restaurant has been in existence since 2007. We got great service but the food just stood out. Few of the items in our menu that stood out were steak,aragula salad with crispy pecans, eel, and the Belgian beer called St Bernardus Wit. Will definitely come back for another special occasion. Here is the link for the that we tried at Bashan: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/7879/ BevMo website does not carry it at the time I inquired.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014I visited few MIchelin star restaurants is US and was quite impressed with the Bashan. Great presentation, creative menu, food tastes as good as it looks (but it comes at price of course). We went for LA restaurant week, and ordered wine pairings which I absolutely loved. Bashan is a great choice for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great food, but poor service.savorerVIPDined on 7/16/2014All of the entrees were outstanding: Scottish Salmon, Duck Breast, Scallops and aged New York Steak. The Arugula salad and Pork Belly appetizer were amazing, and the chocolate bread pudding with vanilla ice cream was to die for. But we were uncomfortable during the entire meal because we were sitting under a vent with a cold draft blowing on us. We asked two of the staff members to adjust the temperature and they said they did, but we noticed no difference. In addition, the wait staff seemed very inexperienced. Our waiter could not explain the preparations, or the wine list. we were not properly checked on or asked if we needed anything. The Chef at Bashan is excellent, but the wait staff needs training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely deliciousmohadohaDined on 7/16/2014Generous portions, an intimate atmosphere, a handful of tables: everything you want to feel like this is your neighborhood place - but you're from out of town. Be sure to make a reservation as it gets crowded from 7-8. Lots of fish and meat options but vegetarians may want to stay away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.