Basera Indian Bistro
745 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Basera Indian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://baserany.com/home
- Phone: 2127579787
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: Lunch: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:45pm Saturday - Sunday: Lunch: 2:00pm - 4pm; Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private party options are available.
- Private Party Contact: Raj Kumar 2127579787
A word from Basera Indian Bistro
This gorgeous new Northern Indian Restaurant located in the heart of New York City's Hells Kitchen, also known as Midtown West will provide you with a memorable meal of the most tasty Indian selections."Basera" is a second location for owner and chef Anil Kumer, who also owner Midtown East's "Indigo". Basera has a large dining room that is open for both lunch and dinner. The dining room is open for parties and meetings, as well as people just stopping by for a wonderful meal. The decor and ambiance of the dining room will leave you smiling, just as the service of the waitstaff will. Northern Indian food has wonderful tastes and aromas, Basera is sure they will make you a meal that you will remember as delicious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basera Indian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Indian FoodPhilandTinaDined on 8/30/2014Great service, great food, great price. Will definitely go again when next in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Indian food and serviceOliverTCVIPDined on 8/12/2014I hadn't been to Basera in a while and now am reminded why I liked it: good food, unpretentious courteous service, uncrowded even when full. Four of us enjoyed vegetarian appetizers and a mix of dishes. The saag paneer and lamb vindaloo were especially tasty. Also wine is inexpensive and decent. I highly recommend for a night out with friends.Special Features:
- Great dinner specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/26/2014They had a great dinner special: for $20, you got an appetizer, an entree, rice, and naan. Perfect Indian food feast.Special Features:
- West Side Indian BistroAnnieVIPDined on 7/11/2014We found the food average. We came with a $25 discount voucher which required spending a minimum of $50 which is not hard to do. However when we ordered our mains, we not quite at $50 which was fine, as we still had not ordered dessert, coffe/tea, etc. But the waiter kept coming over with a tab showing us how much more we had to spend to qualify for the discount. It became very annoying.
- quick pre-theatre indianbeachmomVIPDined on 6/4/2014this is good for a quick pre-theatre indian lunch...there aren't many indian places near the theatres so this is the one if that's what you are craving...it's not a trendy or fancy place at all but the lunch special is a good deal with lots of choices and comes with nan and rice... I had chicken tikka masala and it was pretty good - and my friend had a chicken in a spinach sauce which was more tender and better. so if you want to eat quick quick and want indian give basera a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 201 reviews are from the Basera Indian Bistro reviews archive.
- Nice place to enjoy a good mealLeavingVegasVIPDined on 12/27/2013Just a nice place to enjoy a good meal. Menu offers a lot of variety, but we were happily accommodated when we asked about ordering something off the menu. Attentive and friendly servers -- AND the house red by the glass was a real gem, and very affordable. The Indian music videos were a nice touch!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/24/2013Over the Holidays, I was there several times. The food is just excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really very specialMichaelDined on 9/21/2013Had hoped for an elevated experience, but was definitely run of the mill Indian food. Service was personable, but not terribly professional.
- Very Good Food & Attentive ServiceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2013This restaurant is in a great part of town that is full of small restaurants of all types (except the overpriced ones that underperform in NY). The service was very friendly and accommodating, and the food is very good - with generous portions. The fixed price meals make it easy (even if you're sharing). I was delighted to find this place, and I'm looking forward to returning. It's close to my hotel, when I'm in town, which makes it a real plus for me.Special Features:
- Good Indian food for lunchGreenpointerVIPDined on 8/23/2013This is a step above the usual delivery place -- great service and a competitively priced lunch special. Although, I did find that their sauces were not as thick as they are at other places (tikka Masala, the sweet sauce for Pappadam's).
- Great placeDebbVIPDined on 8/9/2013I went to Basera with some friends and we all got the prix fixe menu. My chicken pakora appetizer was a little dry but still tasty. The chicken tikka masala was good but a little sweeter than how I usually like it. The portions were more than enough. Garlic naan was delicious as always. I would DEFINITELY come back and recommend this place to all my friends. The fact that it is 1000 points is just icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and authentic IndianpcrthreeVIPDined on 7/18/2013Delicious and authentic Indian cuisine in a relaxed setting. Not fancy, but not disappointing at all. Great!Special Features:
- A great ethnic restaurantGeorgeVIPDined on 7/13/2013A great ethnic restaurant for pre-theater dinner. Very reasonably priced for good food and accommodating service. We'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013Food was average. Tandoor was overcooked. Service was terrible. Waiter forgot our order details and brought out only an appetizer for my wife. Was close to theatre district and ok if quick Dinner needed before or after a show.Special Features:
- Good Food but not the best.venturegrrlDined on 7/1/2013As far as Indian places go it was pretty good but not the best Indian I've had. The atmosphere was nice and quiet like I like it, but we also went on a Monday night (dead for any restaurant) just before it was closing so I didn't expect the place to be hopping. The food was good and well priced for the pre fixe it was a little spicy for our tastes. Even though we requested the medium spiced lamb curry and chicken tikka masala it was still enough to make me sweat and I can take some spicy foods. the Service was fair our server took our order and the runner corrected a mistake by getting us the proper naan that we ordered but our server never really came to check up on us. Overall pretty good, but not extraordinary.I would recommend this to a friend.
- average indian faredebski22VIPDined on 6/8/2013This place falls in to the kind of a dive, with just average prices. Meal was good, but not great. Service was fair. Place was empty on a saturday night in the middle of hells kitchen (a hopping place). This 1,000 point reservation is to try to drum up business, not a good deal for what you get. Probably won't be back.
- Don't be fooledOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/30/20131000 points tables don't get awarded when using the Open Table app.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013This place has wonderful service and awesome food. I recommend trying the nann bread with coconut flakes inside! It was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2013Great as always. Always quiet. Surprised this place isn't more busy.Special Features:
- good Indian food in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/22/2013Great prix pix deals. Try everything and portions were good.Special Features:
- The food was good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013The food was good but the waiter was a bit robotic and couldn't spare a smile. They charged us automatic 25% tip.
- We have to thank these restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/6/2013We have to thank these restaurant promotional websites for leading us to Basera. We have dined their serveral times and the food always proves to be excellent. It is very rare when one would say that the food could not possibly be any better. In many cases we find such when dining here. The only time I have ever had any disappointment was on this recent visit. Even so it was the most minor issue. At the end of the meal we chose to split an order of pistachio/almond ice cream. Although it was good there was a slight taste of freezer burn with it.Special Features:
- It is always a pleasure diningNSAdocNYCVIPDined on 3/28/2013It is always a pleasure dining at Basera. The staff is very friendly and the food is amazing, not to mention the Prix Fixe menu is good for those dining on a budget. Make sure you try the mango and salt lassi--absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Inexpensive pre-theatre choiceThaiFiendDined on 3/9/2013Standard selection. Food, decor is good but not exceptional. Medium spicy is not very, order a 7 or 8/10, 9 for spicy.
- Convenient to theatersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2013The prix fixe was a good amount of food and tasty. Everyone in our party got it and was happy with the dish they chose. This was a good spot before our Broadway show.
- Great place for a pre theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2013Great place for a pre theatre dinner. Food was excellent, we chose from pri fixe menu which was very reasonable. Very quiet & service was accurate & fast.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013Food was very tasty. I eat a lot of Indian food and I give this an 8. Worth stopping in if you're in the area and in the mood for Indian.Special Features:
- Good standard Indian- cleanbritguyVIPDined on 2/13/2013Good Indian food especially the dishes with in a sauce vs the grilled items. Unusual mix of service, sometimes friendly sometimes distracted. Mixed grill has large but 90% chicken and two small pieces of Sheek Kebab. Asked where the lamb Boti was got a huge plate of more Sheek Kebab. Portions are very big. You can get large bottles of Kingfisher which are great.
- My husband and I eat heremikenspikeVIPDined on 2/13/2013My husband and I eat here often during the theatre season. Food is always very good and service is usually excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are so pleased that theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/5/2013We are so pleased that the dining sites have introduced us to this wonderful Indian restaurant. We love Indian food but have so often chosen to dine where there is a cluster of establishments serving this type of cuisine in the East Village. Basera perhaps is slightly more pricey, but the food is aways top notch and worth the difference. The restaurant is also more conveniently located for us and the restaurant is very clean and comfortable. We are also on a weight reduction regimen and find that we can eat at this restaurant and still keep within our set guidelines. That is a definite plus! Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- As I find with most indianWhateverVIPDined on 1/17/2013As I find with most indian restaurants, they rarely invest in making the ambiance of the restaurant very warm. This place is quite nice, but more with an average twist. The staff is helpful and were very accomodative. The food was prepared well and very tasty. I have no complaints, however, the presentation overall is just lacking that umph to give it a 4 star rating. I would eat here again for any casual setting.Special Features:
- Good for takeout, not for dining inNYCToddVIPDined on 1/9/2013We order from Basera a lot for take out, as it's quite good. But I made the mistake of taking a work colleague there for lunch this week. Our server was terrible, unfamiliar with even the basics of the menu, as well as the basics of good service. When my colleague's food arrived, it was entirely wrong (chickpeas instead of chicken). When language misunderstandings happen, it's best to apologize and fix it. Not our waiter. He decided to argue that we'd ordered what he brought, even going so far as to get the menu to try to find the dish he thought we'd ordered (which he couldn't....). Finally his manager came over, figured it out and put in the right order. 15 minutes later, when I'd finished my lunch, my colleague's lunch arrived.
- This restaurant is pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/4/2013This restaurant is pleasant and comfortable. The food has always been excellent. It's a bit more expensive then Indian restaurants in say the East Village, but the quality of the food is first rate.Special Features:
- 3 of us went there for dinner,LLum83VIPDined on 1/3/20133 of us went there for dinner, we all got the Prix fixe, it was great, good portions, tasted good. The waiter brought the wrong order of Nan breads, but instead of just bringing the corrected order, he insisted that he needed to TAKE away some of the bread that they already served. so he took away some bread and brought the correct version. I thought that since it's the restaurant's mistake, they should provide patrons with corrected orders, the error was on their part, i thought it was extremely CHEAP of them to take away bread from the table after it was already served!Special Features:
- There was a decent prix-fixeToastyDined on 12/28/2012There was a decent prix-fixe menu, which was perfect for pre-theatre. It had enough variety to be interesting and it was served quickly and efficiently. The bhajis and bhel puri were quite good. There were TV's showing Bollywood videos, but the sound was off, so they were not really distracting, just mildly amusing.Special Features:
- We did the prix fixe menuHbgNateDined on 12/28/2012We did the prix fixe menu for dinner which was very nice. You have a lot of options to customize it to your personal taste. The quality of the food and the service was very good. We had multiple people taking care of our table, but that didn't seem to be a problem. They were all quick to check in with us and take care of whatever we needed. They also have a selection of unique cocktails. I had a Chai Tea martini which was OUTSTANDING! If you like Indian food you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good findPennyVIPDined on 12/27/2012This was a good find for us. The location was perfect, and the food was quite good. We will return.Special Features:
- Went here before seeing Wicked.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Went here before seeing Wicked. Great food and a great price!
- Our favorite Indian restaurantmikenspikeVIPDined on 12/8/2012Our favorite Indian restaurant in the theater district.Special Features:
- Food was good, could haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2012Food was good, could have been a little warmer temperature wise.