Bascom's Chop House
3665 Ulmerton RD
Clearwater, FL 33762Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Bascom's Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bascoms.com/
- Phone: (727) 573-3363
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: John Barton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Whether it's a corporate party, wedding or just a friendly get together, Bascom's Chophouse can host your group in our banquet and private dining facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Baquet Coordinator 7275733363
- Special Events: Please check the Bascom's Chophouse company website or call to see our private event facilities which feature multiple rooms accommodating 20-200 guests. Taylored menus, flexible pricing and no room charges.
A word from Bascom's Chop House
When the original Bascom came to Florida at the turn of the last century to help Henry Flagler build the Key West Railroad, he brought with him his love for thick cut chops and juicy steaks. During his travels he also discovered the bounties of fresh native Florida seafood. We have brought all of his favorites together in a true American Chop House that pays tribute to Bascom's hearty appetite and a passion for great steaks, chops and fresh seafood. In his honor, we have made Bascom's Chop House a comfortable, yet elegant, American restaurant. We are proud to offer a superbly crafted wine list and American Mid-Western beef, aged to our own exacting specifications to ensure the most tender and flavorful steaks served anywhere at any price. And, true to our Bascom's Chop House name, we also offer hand-cut veal, pork and lamb chops all prepared to perfection, as well as a great selection of native seafood delivered fresh daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bascom's Chop House - Best Restaurants in Clearwater ›
Bascom's Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)romantic (44)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (39)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (17)great for lunch (16)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- really good foodbigwally11VIPDined on 11/15/2014Food and service are amazing, we tell all our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We try one more time.PalmHarborDined on 11/15/2014Came here to celebrate my wife's birthday. That was noted on open table, but no one recognized the occasion. My wife ordered the petite filet and I ordered the rib eye. Let's just say the steaks were disappointing. The filet was dry and bland, and my rib eye filled with fat and bland as well. The manager tried to make amends, still fell short in my eyes. The only item that expressed the true flavor of a steak house was the featured malbec wine. We did not expect this lack of quality, since we enjoyed Bascom's many times in the past. Based on our past experiences, we will try Bascom's one more time in hopes that it was just a bad day/night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwayspjtpaDined on 11/14/2014Tried the Wagyu NY strip: fantastic! Server was knowledgeable and attentive: Just what we've come to expect from Bascom's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very loud, food not prepared properlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014When going to a steakhouse I would assume it would be cooked/broiled to the temperature specified. It was quite under-cooked, perhaps b/c the table next to me was ordering rare, since mine was to be medium, it would have been over-cooked for rare as well. It was quite busy and as such quite loud. The adornment of the interior did nothing to quiet this down. If I wanted to dine at a loud restaurant, I would have gone to a chain restaurant. At least they seem to be able to prepare the food to the proper temperature. When I returned to the hotel, the concierge asked how my dinner was, since they were the one whom recommended them to me. After I detailed my displeasure, I was told that was the 2nd in as many weeks. The service was good, but being as busy as they were, never felt it was representative of being a "higher-end" restaurant. As such, I would not return or recommend to a friend.
- ExcellentUltracsicVIPDined on 11/11/2014We tried Bascom's based on local & Open Table reviews. Our experience was excellent. I had the filet and was perfectly cooked and delicious. Others in our party had the rib eye and both were very tasty and also perfectly cooked. We ordered side dishes to share, au gratin potatoes and sautéed spinach. Both were good but maybe too much sour cream in the potatoes. We shared the key lime pie. It was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bread COLD otherwise goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014bread COLD otherwise good and prime rib had a lot of fatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommend !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We have visited Bascom's on numerous occassions. First time was for my dad's 90th (suprise) birthday party. There were over 40 guests, 2 bands , open bar, 2 menus , outstanding food, beautiful accomodations and flawless service. Everything went perfectly thanks to Keith and his wonderful staff. All of our quests could not have been happier..... We have been back on several other occassions to celebrate birthdays on a smaller level, to have dinner with extended family and to just have a nice dinner for two or three. We highly recommend Bascom's for their food and service. We request Pam as our server whenever she is available.Special Features:
- This was our 54th anniversary.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The service was excellent. The food portions were good size and the food was very good, our Porterhouse steak was perfection. I personally would like a little brighter, less crowded atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak at Good pricetravel4goodfoodDined on 11/1/2014Weekend steak specials make this a relatively reasonable price for an 8oz Filet Mignon or 12oz Prime Rib. Steaks are aged, cooked in a covered grill to keep in juices. Baked potato was salt rubbed for excellent flavor. Close to HSN so you never know who you might see there. Servers are well trained and most have been there for a few years since I have been going.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodNikkiDined on 10/30/2014We took our boss's out to lunch for a belated Boss's Day and I wasn't overly impressed but it wasn't horrible either. The restaurant itself it stunning in my opinion and the service was outstanding but I have to say I wasn't super crazy about the food. It was mediocre. Everyone at the table I think pretty much had the same opinion. Again, the food wasn't horrible but just a little underwhelming. That being said I will definitely be back to try out a few different dishes and I would like to see what dinner service is like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealBarryDined on 10/25/2014We frequently go to Bascom's because the food and attentive service are always great. We always leave happy and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightJTMONEYDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful ending to a great day. I ordered the Porter House Steak, the steak was great, service was wonderful, we enjoyed everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta Love itbigwally11VIPDined on 10/25/2014They did it again, really great food, wine and service, every time we go it gets better.Special Features:
- DissappointedPennyDined on 10/25/2014The Service by the waiter, George was great! but the "prime" rib was the worst piece of meat in the planet It was so tough, the supplied steak knife could not begin to cut it!! I can't believe you would serve such "meat" I know Bascom's can do better......
- Great Steak RestaurantSuechauDined on 10/25/2014The stakes were cooked perfectly. Prices are great not overwhelming expensive as the new steak houses are. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner Meeting PlacePlayer52Dined on 10/22/2014We scheduled a business dinner meeting at Bascom's and everything was wonderful. Three at our table enjoyed the 24oz bone in ribeye special - it was a meal fit for a king. The tuna, shrimp scampy and crab cakes were all delicious! And don't forget to order Jalapeno Mac & Cheese to share - wonderful! Everyone was pleased with their meal. Service was very prompt and efficient. The server was very knowledgable on wine selection, the specials, and dessert selections. We will definitely schedule another dinner there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mdennisDined on 10/11/2014I've eaten here several times through out the years and I'm never disappointed, very good food with excellent service, ask for George, very attentive, a great wait person certainly takes a very good experience and puts it over the top.Special Features:
- SIMPLY SUPERB STEAKBILLDORGANDined on 10/11/2014I haven't been to a steak-house in years. There was a Saturday night special for $23.95: 8oz Filet Mignon, salad, one side. I upgraded to a 12oz Filet Mignon for a few dollars more and I'm glad I did. This was the best steak I can remember ever having. Perfectly cooked medium-rare. Our server, Craig, was accommodating, pleasant and unobtrusively on top of his game. I'll be back.Special Features:
- 10/10/2014BascomsDined on 10/10/2014First time here after driving by many times. Great food and service. Martini with stuffed olives, Quality appetizers, entrée and love the banana fosterer desert. Wife and I enjoyed it very much and is now on our "do again" list when we are in the area.Special Features:
- DeliciousFuneataVIPDined on 10/7/2014ReStuarant served delicious food. The wait staff was great. Pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014After being brought to our table and seeing that is was directly in the traffic area for that room and right near the tray table, we asked for a different location. That done, our server was great and our steaks were exceptionally good that evening and all went well.Special Features:
- DinnerDisgustedDined on 10/4/2014The salad was soggy. I could not believe it. As I had company I did not complain. So soggy it was almost like drinking lettuce. This is inexcusable. It was a first in my life and I am old!. It is a disgrace to do this to patrons. The filet mignon was ordered as medium=rare. It came as well-done for 3/4 of it and only a 1/4 was what I had ordered. I have never had such a bad filet mignon and my $26 was wasted. There are many reports on the Internet of partially cooked or overcooked meat in your restaurant. The French fries were too thick and served in a paper cone which required manual extraction. That's for show surely but it's unhealthy to pick up the food with your hands.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We were having a business dinner so romantic was not required. The service was good and the food outstanding. The tables were however very close. We felt that people were too close and that made noise a small issue too. Lighting was hard. Could have had smoother lighting to give atmosphere... I know I was on business but I would not feel romantic if I came back... Service was good and the food outstanding so we would forgive the other comments... Good value.Special Features:
- Business DinnerBarneyVIPDined on 10/1/2014I took a couple of European clients to Bascom's on a Wednesday night. The bar and the restaurant were surprisingly packed, but the service was still very efficient and timed well. Food was very good with ample choice between surf and turf for European taste. Good fresh sea food really represented Florida well. Only complaint was that it was very loud so a business conversation was next to impossible. Next time I'll ask for a table that might be quieter.Special Features:
- Great first experienceDavidDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I love steak so we tried Bascom's last Sunday. What a great experience and we will definitely go back. The service was fantastic and the food even better. My wife had the Filet Mignon and I had the Prime Rib which are our usual selections and the ones we had compare to any others we've had in the Tampa area. I highly recommend Bascom's Chop House to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigwally11VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food, wine, and service were amazing. These guys get better and better every time we go. Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- Bad seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Love the food but service was a three ring circus. Water in the sprite glass no plates no timing of wine with dinner. Area was cramped and waiters waitresses running into each other. Nice people but not a smooth processSpecial Features:
- Excellent Steaks!!msusaeDined on 9/24/2014Bascom's is a very quaint dining establishment and the decor is simple, but clean. The service was outstanding and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't eat here againtwodinersDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I met some friends at Bascom's for dinner Sunday. We had eaten there before, probably about a year ago. The restaurant was not crowded when we got there and had a nice table in a corner. Three of us ordered beef, supposedly Bascom's claim to fame. All three orders were ordered at different stages of "doneness": well done, medium and medium rare. Each of them were underdone and not very tasty. I ordered fish and that was fine. Another pet peeve was that our main courses were delivered before we were finished our salads and that is bad form.
- Excellent Steakplaces2goVIPDined on 9/20/2014I usually order seafood but this restaurant has the best filet, salad, baked potato, and an amazing wine list. The service was great and we will definitely be back !!Special Features:
- very satified clientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014growing up in iowa most area's of the country have been at least a little disappointing when it comes to steak. I grew up in farm country ordering our beef on the hoof, cut and aged to our specifications. our experience at Bascom's was finding a gem in a pile of rocks. the steaks and the entire meal and dining experience was fantastic. my wife and I would highly recommend this restaurant and intend to make it our go to place. we both look forward to not just the steaks, but trying many of the other offerings from their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThrdChipDined on 9/18/2014Relaxing and enjoyable meal, food was outstanding, service was attentive, but not overbearing. We'll be back.Special Features:
- LUNCH SPECIAL WAS TERRIBLEOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014I ORDERED THE SHISH KA BOBS (WITH FILET) AND IT WAS TOUGH AND HAD MARBLES OF FAT. THE GRAVY WAS WAY TO HEAVY AND ALL OVER THE DISH. I WANTED TO SEND IT BACK BUT WAS CONCERNED MY REPLACEMENT MEAL WOULD HAVE TAKEN TOO LONG. I GOT THROUGH IT BUT WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THAT FOR LUNCH.Special Features:
- Excellent!FloodivaDined on 9/13/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants, especially for a special occasion. The fried lobster appetizer is to die for and the steaks are always perfect. They usually have a special on wines as well which we always enjoy.Special Features:
- So-SodwhiteDined on 9/13/2014It was ok, hyped up alot better then it actually is. mediocre Cocktails, 10 bucks apiece. Guinness beer was warm and only half a glass. Steak was delicious and Marco was a great server. Place was dated. We have ate at every fine steakhouse in the Tampa Bay area, we would rate it as our least favorite. As far as returning, nah, been there, done that. it was ok but not memorable by any stretch of the imagination A bus girl wandering all over the place cleaning tables, kept opening this side door that really looked disgusting, dirty, not painted, lit too well and an eyesore because of the stairwell and general run down condition of it, All in all the food was good, but wont go back or recommend it to anyone. Too many truly nice places around.Special Features:
- certainly meets expectationsmartieVIPDined on 9/12/2014This steak and seafood place provided a welcome experience. It's located along a highway, on the back side of an airport, but through advertising, and I assume word of mouth, it attracts a clientele. I enjoyed the beef, prepared as requested, and served with asparagus and especially good potatoes. The flourless chocolate cake with fruit was superb. The waitress knew what I wanted each time I nodded to her.Special Features:
- Will returnBlackmariaDined on 9/11/2014We (3 of us) celebrated with my wife having a special need (wheelchair accommodation). They were well prepared for us. The food/service was excellent and prices were reasonable. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Good not GreatfloridagirlDined on 9/11/2014Overall we were satisified with our dining experience. The service was excellent and the food good. However, not sure how often we would return. We mentioned to our server that it was my husband's 80th Birthday and there was no acknowledgement of this very special occasion. I'm not expecting much, but when the bill was $300.00 for 4 of us, he could have been offered a dessert or something. Also when you pay $30.00 for a steak a little salad with it would be nice without charging extra for it. I would recommend Bascom's with certain reservations. I would mention that it is pricey and not extraordinary. All in all, we prefer Charley's in Tampa, but gave Bascom's a try. Sorry the review could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014good food but unless you use hand signals, you can't communicate with your tablemates; the noise level is outrageous.
- Picture of Charlie CristOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Politics should not be advertised in restaurant. Hostess should note attire of customers. We were dressed well. Looking for romantic meal. Place in room planned for dinner party of 10. They were dressed in shorts and t=shirts as well as another couple at a third table. The group was loud. Not enjoyable for us.Special Features: