2244 Frankfort Ave
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.basarestaurant.net/
- Phone: (502) 896-1016
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Fusion / Eclectic, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Michael Ton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private room 22 guest capacity
- Private Party Contact: Steven Ton 5028961016
A word from Basa
Nominated as a semifinalist for the James Beard award for best new restaurant, Basa offers modern Vietnamese cuisine with a French infusion. The beverage program has been chosen to complement the cuisine including a well chosen wine list, seasonal cocktails, and beers from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Basa reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (25)romantic (18)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Basa remains one of my top picks in LouisvilleOtisDined on 11/24/2014You will not be disappointed! Stephen and Michael Ton continue to deliver an exceptional experience. This is one of a few restaurants that my 20 year old son actually requests we go to when he is home from school. His tastes are simple -- and he loves the shaking beef and salt & pepper prawns. Personally, the mussels with frites are a dish I dream about! And, ordering from the nightly special offerings is always a great call. The bar creates unique cocktails, and carries a wonderful selection of wines by the glass and bottle. The service is always just right -- not intrusive yet perfectly attentive. I love this restaurant and hope it never runs its course!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Worth your time and money. Excellent food and service. Very Good presentation and a nice atmosphere. The restaurant is on the expensive side, but still worth it! I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014The service and food at BASA is always special. The server was excellent attentive without overbearing and very professional. I certainly hope to see her the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Great service but the food was not as good as it usually is, but we won't give up-maybe they just had a bad day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceYummyDined on 11/19/2014In the heart of the Frankfort food corridor, Basa welcomes with a chic, yet unassuming exterior. The warm, albeit a bit too dark, entrance immediately delivers the host. We were promptly seated, greeted and well attended to all the while there without the waiter hoovering. The extensive cocktail, wine, whisky and beer list, menu's, special list and place settings where all set nicely before we arrived. The poor interior lighting made reading or enjoying any of this very difficult. The waiter was knowledgeable, friendly without being palsy or flirty. The brief menu included meat, seafood and vegetarian dishes - no vegan anything however - without being overwhelming. The specials were fresh and enticing. Again, the waiter helped a bit without being pushy or pretentious at all. Our food arrived quickly, was warm and delicious. The ten percent tip bump came when the waiter saw I wasn't combining the special for full taste and gently instructed me on the proper order and combination for the lettuce, mint, crepe and broth combination. I joked that I thought this place prepared the food for me but really, there is no way to serve the dish that way and keep it fresh and presentable. Overall - a good dining experience made great by wonderful service. Not cheap but worth it every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always perfectMelOnWheelsVIPDined on 11/17/2014as always, great service, delicious food, always tempted by specials but must have the salt and pepper prawns...delicious cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerBillDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I always enjoy stopping in at this neighborhood favorite on Frankfort Avenue. We always have great food and drink and the owner/manager always greets us.Special Features:
- We'll be back!larryvVIPDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I spent a vacation week trying a restaurant each night where we haven't eaten before. We tried 4 and 5 star restaurants all week. This is one of our absolute favorites! To the owners: Great restaurant! Thanks to our waiter for giving us great service! Compliments to the chef(s). The food was awesome.Special Features:
- LuvchocDined on 10/25/2014Excellent service and food. Noise level was high so we asked to be moved and we were promptly accommodated . The chocolate pot dessert was fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes! Make Reservations for BasaKazeVIPDined on 10/24/2014Well worth the visit. A little outside the main downtown area We had the curry grilled shrimp, the petite filet with langostinos and sherry reduction. We also had one of their dinner special salads. Every thing was perfect. They have a good wine list and cocktails and great service. Definitely make reservations if you plan to have dinner between 7 and 8:30PM Thu, Friday or Sat. evenings. We will definitely go back and I confidently recommend this place.Special Features:
- A favorite spotTheDiningCzechDined on 10/20/2014This was my sixth time at Basa. It has never disappointed me or anyone in our group. I was surprised to find a virtually new menu on this visit and missed the opportunity for some of my old favorites, but the shaking beef was still available.Special Features:
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The cocktails were super yummy-I got a jalapeño-infused gin & cilantro cocktail that is definitely worth trying! The food was also great-fried oyster app was gone in seconds, and we got two specials for dinner that were both very flavorful and well cooked. We would definitely recommend it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Bev tastinessPegEatsOutDined on 10/11/2014Fab cocktails (Bombay Heat and Basa Signature) Great apps...mussels and oysters winners; salad delicious, shaking beef yummy. Skip the chicken. Will definitely return! Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somewhat overpricededdieDined on 9/27/2014The food was good and the general atmosphere was fun. But I generally expect a little more from a $70 dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GdmealDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful meal, as always. Fried oysters! Yum!!! Love the wait staff. So friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificEnjoyDiningOutVIPDined on 9/12/2014We really love Basa. The shaking beef is absolutely delicious. They're always very nice about our 2 yr old too. And great, attentive but not obtrusive, service.Special Features:
- Basa has gone down hill.LouFoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014We always looked forward to the mussels at Basa--no more. Downsized portions, poorer quality shellfish...overall, the entire dining experience has dropped and prices are up.
- Overall Great ExperiencePryrt1Dined on 8/23/2014Made reservations for two as part of a birthday celebration. I could not have picked a better restaurant to ensure a wonderful memory. The food was incredible! The atmosphere was nice and allowed for good conversation despite the full dining room. Our waiter was perfect, never rushing us, but never too far to answer a question or keep our dining experience pleasant. I think this is one of the best restaurant experiences for the price.Special Features:
- Always GreatNedADined on 8/22/2014We do not get to go as often since we moved out of the neighborhood, but we still love it. Calamari was not as good as the last menu but everything else was stellar.Special Features:
- Thank youSandyleeVIPDined on 8/9/2014The service was outstanding Ee had an emergency and had to leave shortly after we were served they boxed our dinner thank you mollie smithSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!LovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014The best food and service I have experienced in a long time. I will go back!Special Features:
- Great find!MarymountVIPDined on 8/2/2014Attending the NSRA show using open table..what a a great place...food and service were wonderful...we will definitely return next year....number one on our list..,Special Features:
- The following 151 reviews are from the Basa reviews archive.
- Dinner with friendsCraigDined on 7/19/2014Great food expertly prepared and presented ... wonderful place for a great dinner with your partner and/or favorite friends. I find the Asian influence to offer a more healthy menu and options ... vegetarian, gluten free, etc. Leave feeling nourished and satisfied without feeling like I've overeaten and sluggish and weighed down by heavy, difficult food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basa is a 10.DrihnenDined on 7/19/2014Smaller restaurant, but unbelievable taste. Highly Reccomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and foodlocalfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014Everything we ordered at Basa was very good. Our cocktails were delicious and stood out a little more than the food. The shaking beef entree was very good, but for the portion and the presentation i found it to be a little overpriced. The black rice was delicious though. Everything had great flavorSpecial Features:
- Worth checking outworthcheckingoutVIPDined on 6/26/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Basa -- the soup of the day, caramelized catfish in claypot and salt and pepper prawns were all well prepared and delicious. The Caesar salad and dessert (chocolate macadamia cake with caramel gelato) were also quite good. The waiter was attentive and helpful in describing the dishes. Only downside was that there was a somewhat noisy patron at the bar -- he was on a roll with loud stories and a couple choice swear words thrown in here and there -- who seemed to know the host well but was never asked to please quiet down a bit. Other than that, definitely worth checking out the food. And if you like interesting cocktails, try the Bombay Heat - jalapeno-infused gin, lime, cilantro -- so good!Special Features:
- Excellent Asian fusionBetsyDined on 6/26/2014Basa offers an eclectic menu that is far from typical Vietnamese. The French influence is strong, and the variety is awesome. Had a flavorful, fresh salad. The eggplant was one of the best vegetarian dishes I've ever had. Also tasted -- and loved -- my friends' tacos filled with crisp oysters. Atmosphere is fun without being intrusive. I have to say, I loved the bathroom. It's so inviting. Service was a little slow, but that's my only issue. I would definitely go back to Basa!Special Features:
- fantastic eveninglvlfoodieDined on 6/23/2014had a wonderful dinner with friends. server was kind of scary looking, and forgot to give us our boxed-up food at the end. but overall they took great care of us. food and wine was great, good cocktails. nicely limited menu--not overwhelming, but select. as ferris bueller would say, it was choice. :)Special Features:
- basa another awesome dinnerscherfcDined on 6/21/2014A must place to go for a evening out with friends or family. Lamb chop and catfish in a clay pot were wonderful, including the great service. Thank you basa!Special Features:
- 2docsDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food and great service! Will certainly be adding this to one of our go to spots in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid week diningzarelDined on 6/17/2014My wife and I had been wanting to try Basa, so, on a Tuesday evening we stopped after work. We will definitely be back again. Good food, good service, and good jazz playing in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mel and friends..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014First time at Basa. VERY good experience! Excellent food, great server ( attentive to our time for the show!), quiet, clean.. Over all.. “ Will Be Back”!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGemini1570Dined on 6/7/2014Excellent food, service and very friendly. Awesome experience as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Ton will wow youJonathanVIPDined on 5/23/2014Amazing flavor palate created by Chef Ton. Try as many things as you can and then go back and try some more. Beef, seafood, vegetarian, something for everyone.Special Features:
- BasadrrnwDined on 5/19/2014Great food. Recently revised the ceiling, and made the noise level much more acceptable for those with hearing loss. A great experience.Special Features:
- Nice eveningCliftonCrewDined on 4/29/2014Great drinks and lots of good food. Everyone liked what they got. need more vegetarian options. Scallops were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local foodieNew2LouisvilleVIPDined on 4/25/2014The food was wonderful. And our server was one of the best that we have had in a very long time. We'll go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerfromLouisvilleVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had an 8:15 PM reservation, and were seated promptly. The food was excellent - the noise level fairly unbearable.Special Features:
- Excellent foodlovefreshfoodDined on 4/19/2014The starters and dinner entrees are beautiful to look at and even more delicious to savor. The service is very good, not pushy, and knowledgeable about the various menu items. It is an amazing dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- swolfe5Dined on 4/18/2014Excellent, creative food presented by a staff that cares. Excellent evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.