2244 Frankfort Ave
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.basarestaurant.net/
- Phone: 5028961016
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Fusion / Eclectic, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Michael Ton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private room 22 guest capacity
- Private Party Contact: Steven Ton 5028961016
A word from Basa
Nominated as a semifinalist for the James Beard award for best new restaurant, Basa offers modern Vietnamese cuisine with a French infusion. The beverage program has been chosen to complement the cuisine including a well chosen wine list, seasonal cocktails, and beers from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Basa reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (23)romantic (21)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014This was my sixth time at Basa. It has never disappointed me or anyone in our group. I was surprised to find a virtually new menu on this visit and missed the opportunity for some of my old favorites, but the shaking beef was still available.Special Features:
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The cocktails were super yummy-I got a jalapeño-infused gin & cilantro cocktail that is definitely worth trying! The food was also great-fried oyster app was gone in seconds, and we got two specials for dinner that were both very flavorful and well cooked. We would definitely recommend it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Bev tastinessPegEatsOutDined on 10/11/2014Fab cocktails (Bombay Heat and Basa Signature) Great apps...mussels and oysters winners; salad delicious, shaking beef yummy. Skip the chicken. Will definitely return! Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somewhat overpricededdieDined on 9/27/2014The food was good and the general atmosphere was fun. But I generally expect a little more from a $70 dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GdmealDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful meal, as always. Fried oysters! Yum!!! Love the wait staff. So friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificEnjoyDiningOutVIPDined on 9/12/2014We really love Basa. The shaking beef is absolutely delicious. They're always very nice about our 2 yr old too. And great, attentive but not obtrusive, service.Special Features:
- Basa has gone down hill.LouFoodDined on 9/5/2014We always looked forward to the mussels at Basa--no more. Downsized portions, poorer quality shellfish...overall, the entire dining experience has dropped and prices are up.
- Overall Great ExperiencePryrt1Dined on 8/23/2014Made reservations for two as part of a birthday celebration. I could not have picked a better restaurant to ensure a wonderful memory. The food was incredible! The atmosphere was nice and allowed for good conversation despite the full dining room. Our waiter was perfect, never rushing us, but never too far to answer a question or keep our dining experience pleasant. I think this is one of the best restaurant experiences for the price.Special Features:
- Always GreatNedADined on 8/22/2014We do not get to go as often since we moved out of the neighborhood, but we still love it. Calamari was not as good as the last menu but everything else was stellar.Special Features:
- Thank youSandyleeVIPDined on 8/9/2014The service was outstanding Ee had an emergency and had to leave shortly after we were served they boxed our dinner thank you mollie smithSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!LovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014The best food and service I have experienced in a long time. I will go back!Special Features:
- Great find!MarymountVIPDined on 8/2/2014Attending the NSRA show using open table..what a a great place...food and service were wonderful...we will definitely return next year....number one on our list..,Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsCraigDined on 7/19/2014Great food expertly prepared and presented ... wonderful place for a great dinner with your partner and/or favorite friends. I find the Asian influence to offer a more healthy menu and options ... vegetarian, gluten free, etc. Leave feeling nourished and satisfied without feeling like I've overeaten and sluggish and weighed down by heavy, difficult food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basa is a 10.DrihnenDined on 7/19/2014Smaller restaurant, but unbelievable taste. Highly Reccomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and foodlocalfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014Everything we ordered at Basa was very good. Our cocktails were delicious and stood out a little more than the food. The shaking beef entree was very good, but for the portion and the presentation i found it to be a little overpriced. The black rice was delicious though. Everything had great flavorSpecial Features:
- Worth checking outworthcheckingoutVIPDined on 6/26/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Basa -- the soup of the day, caramelized catfish in claypot and salt and pepper prawns were all well prepared and delicious. The Caesar salad and dessert (chocolate macadamia cake with caramel gelato) were also quite good. The waiter was attentive and helpful in describing the dishes. Only downside was that there was a somewhat noisy patron at the bar -- he was on a roll with loud stories and a couple choice swear words thrown in here and there -- who seemed to know the host well but was never asked to please quiet down a bit. Other than that, definitely worth checking out the food. And if you like interesting cocktails, try the Bombay Heat - jalapeno-infused gin, lime, cilantro -- so good!Special Features:
- Excellent Asian fusionBetsyDined on 6/26/2014Basa offers an eclectic menu that is far from typical Vietnamese. The French influence is strong, and the variety is awesome. Had a flavorful, fresh salad. The eggplant was one of the best vegetarian dishes I've ever had. Also tasted -- and loved -- my friends' tacos filled with crisp oysters. Atmosphere is fun without being intrusive. I have to say, I loved the bathroom. It's so inviting. Service was a little slow, but that's my only issue. I would definitely go back to Basa!Special Features:
- The following 146 reviews are from the Basa reviews archive.
- fantastic eveninglvlfoodieDined on 6/23/2014had a wonderful dinner with friends. server was kind of scary looking, and forgot to give us our boxed-up food at the end. but overall they took great care of us. food and wine was great, good cocktails. nicely limited menu--not overwhelming, but select. as ferris bueller would say, it was choice. :)Special Features:
- basa another awesome dinnerscherfcDined on 6/21/2014A must place to go for a evening out with friends or family. Lamb chop and catfish in a clay pot were wonderful, including the great service. Thank you basa!Special Features:
- 2docsDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food and great service! Will certainly be adding this to one of our go to spots in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid week diningzarelDined on 6/17/2014My wife and I had been wanting to try Basa, so, on a Tuesday evening we stopped after work. We will definitely be back again. Good food, good service, and good jazz playing in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mel and friends..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014First time at Basa. VERY good experience! Excellent food, great server ( attentive to our time for the show!), quiet, clean.. Over all.. “ Will Be Back”!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGemini1570Dined on 6/7/2014Excellent food, service and very friendly. Awesome experience as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Ton will wow youJonathanVIPDined on 5/23/2014Amazing flavor palate created by Chef Ton. Try as many things as you can and then go back and try some more. Beef, seafood, vegetarian, something for everyone.Special Features:
- BasadrrnwDined on 5/19/2014Great food. Recently revised the ceiling, and made the noise level much more acceptable for those with hearing loss. A great experience.Special Features:
- Nice eveningCliftonCrewDined on 4/29/2014Great drinks and lots of good food. Everyone liked what they got. need more vegetarian options. Scallops were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local foodieNew2LouisvilleVIPDined on 4/25/2014The food was wonderful. And our server was one of the best that we have had in a very long time. We'll go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerfromLouisvilleVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had an 8:15 PM reservation, and were seated promptly. The food was excellent - the noise level fairly unbearable.Special Features:
- Excellent foodlovefreshfoodDined on 4/19/2014The starters and dinner entrees are beautiful to look at and even more delicious to savor. The service is very good, not pushy, and knowledgeable about the various menu items. It is an amazing dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- swolfe5Dined on 4/18/2014Excellent, creative food presented by a staff that cares. Excellent evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first encounterLocaldiningfanDined on 4/15/2014Wonderful aromas upon entering. Attentive--never intrusive-- service. Delivery of food well-paced, not rushed. All food ordered was excellent. Calamari ranks among best we've had anywhere. Flavorful salt and pepper prawns alone worth a repeat visit. Also enjoyed shaking beef. Tasteful, subdued ambience a welcome relief from most of more recent entries into Louisville's vibrant restaurant scene. We WILL be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BasalouisvilledinerDined on 4/8/2014The menu options were varied and all sounded wonderful, including the specials for the evening. The small plates were delicious including the tuna tartare and curry mussels. As well, the salt and pepper prawns and shaking beef entrees were incredible. Our server was helpful and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My FAVECardsdaddyDined on 3/18/2014Consistently one of the best dining experiences in Louisville, or just about anywhere for that matter. The food is prepared meticulously and with flair. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Cocktails are outstanding, too.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014The food was awesome! Went with a party of seven and everyone left happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet Feature was ExquisiteSarlips03Dined on 3/15/2014I have always wante to dine at Basa and possibly work there. Now I know why, the food was cooked to perfection! Full flavor not over salted, just enough sauces and dressings. My entire party thoroughly enjoyed themselves. You know when food tastes this fresh and comes out perfect that the food is prepared by Chefs that take passion in what they are doing! Thank you for a wonderful experience and I can not wait to come back for another one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Visit, Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Great food! I wanted to experience some different ethnic foods, and Basa did not disappoint! I love some of the comfinations of ingredients that I would never think to put together (scallops with figs ontop of grits with cheese)... Wonderful! I'll be bringing out of town guests in for a visit to show off Louisville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!jarnowDined on 3/13/2014I hadn't been to Basa in a while and decided to take a visiting friend there for dinner. It was the best choice I could have made! The food was sublime, the service wonderful. I'll go back much sooner than last time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the ribeye special andRickDined on 3/8/2014I had the ribeye special and my girlfriend had the Shaking Beef. Both were excellent. Service was very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to Basa severalAshleyDined on 3/8/2014We've been to Basa several times over the last five years and the food has slowly declined each time. The specials used to be "special" , now a Vietnamese restaurant is serving steak and potatoes as a special. I've had everything on the menu and everything is too salty. We really used to love Basa but with all of the great restaurants now open around Louisville it has fallen way behind and I won't be back.Special Features:
- Basa Always DeliversMelOnWheelsVIPDined on 3/4/2014A gem of a place, superior service without being invasive, delicious food, nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.