Baru Latino Restaurante
2535 Alma St
Vancouver, BC V6R 3R8Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Baru Latino Restaurante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barulatino.com/
- Phone: 6042229171
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week from 5pm-1am. Kitchen is open until late everyday. Starting October 4th Baru will be open for lunch from 11:00am to 3:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Mark Fremont
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Baru an ideal venue for private parties, cocktail receptions, luncheons birthdays. We can do sit down events for up to 50 people and stand up groups up to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Rene Lafleur 604-222-9171
- Entertainment: Dave and Rene doing their thing.
- Cross Street: West Broadway / West 10th Ave
- Public Transit: 99B Line stop, #7 Dunbar,#4, #17, #9
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary underground parking, access from Broadway ave just west of Alma St. There is also plenty of free street parking available on Broadway, west 10th Ave and surrounding side streets.
A word from Baru Latino Restaurante
Baru Latino is a comfortable minimal space where the passion for food and design come together. This is one of those small wonders, designed for appreciative eaters who want to be part of a new South American experience, where flavors from Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Argentina come together in creative ways.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Baru Latino Restaurante - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
Baru Latino Restaurante reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (12)romantic (10)good for groups (9)late-night find (9)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- It all looks so good!TheGlutenFreeActressVIPDined on 9/6/2014Their menu all looks so good! Most options are gluten free and there are many that are vegetarian too. The one draw back is that they use A LOT of cheese, so being vegan here would be pretty tough. All the dishes I had were really yummy, but they were all quite heavy and oily from being topped with mozzarella etc. I would recommend this place, especially if you're not vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifulthrice82Dined on 9/6/2014From all my dining experiences I have had, this is by far the most pleasant and by far the best. The food was amazing and the atmosphere was nice and mellow. I took my date here, and it was the best night I have had. Thank you Baru Latino Restaurante for making my special evening a night to remember.Special Features:
- Wonderful ceviche!annwinterDined on 9/1/2014I really enjoyed the ceviche dishes. They had great flavours and tasted really fresh. The paella was good, but it didn't taste like the traditional dish(the consistency and flavour was different). Nevertheless, everything was really good. I'll definitely go again.Special Features:
- I love Baru Latino!MicheleDined on 8/24/2014This is truly my favourite restaurant in Vancouver. The food is always fantastic - I dream of the empanadas and short ribs. The service is friendly and professional. Everyone I've encouraged to try this place has loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last minute dateDkooDined on 8/23/2014This place has customer service down to a T, more restaurants should hold this place as a standard. I made a last minute reservation for two, and asked if they could put my motorcycle helmets somewhere safe while we were there, and they were more than happy to accommodate me. Also, the food was great.Special Features:
- interesting menu, avg serviceyummVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved the uniqueness of the menu. Most tapa dishes we ordered were good with the exception of the empanadas (they were over fried, and hard as rocks). Service was a little too slow for us. Also when the (hard) empanadas were mentioned, there was no acknowledgement from management that they should not have been little marbles. We ordered mostly wine but noted the drinks menu is quite interesting.
- the gold standard for gen XfitfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014After living in Vancouver for over a decade, Baru Latino delivers on so may fronts that this review and my rating is likely to be understated. Baru Latino is unassuming but has to be one of, if not the hippest spot for cosmopolitan diners who shy away from Vancouver`s normal `supper hour` of 5 to 7 pm.. As a former Montrealer used to dining at 10pm or thereabouts, this place is one of the very few pockets of late night sanity in Kitsilano Point Gray.. Big points all around to hosîtality veterans David and Rene who "get it" .. Solid and sometimes exceptional on all fronts.. these folks know how to do what they do in spades.. Highly recommended. Ps. my rating is probably underestimated.. the steak chimmichurri is the best in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitmaisieluvDined on 8/18/2014Took my visitor from Scotland - we were both delighted with the Tapas and Main choices. Busy for a Monday evening and glad to have made a reservation- will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful expriencegargarDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our 16th year anniversary and had a great time. From the moment we got in the door to the end of our meal, the staff, food and service made it special. Our server made some excellent recommendations and she was very attentive. We ordered braised beef, mussels and some tasty tasty tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best birthday dinner ever!luv2dineDined on 8/4/2014It was my sister's 50th birthday and wanted to take her to a place with really good food. The food was amazing and the service was excellent. I highly recommend this gem of a restaurant. Be sure to order the braised short ribs (costillas de res) and pacific scallops !!!!Special Features:
- mollymollyDined on 7/24/2014Good food, enjoyed halibut tacos, paella, and mango creme brulle.Service was good and we really enjoy the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnakinsDined on 7/19/2014The food was great. We wanted to try something different and we're glad we found this little gem! We were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday. It's a very loud place and pretty small. Fodo was better than the service. Our server spilled a glass of water all over my boyfriend's lap. She tried wiping it up and then she brought us shots to make up for the accident. Other than that, it was good. We'll probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuatroEstrellasDined on 7/11/2014Terrific mojitos, distinct, delightful Latin fusion flavours, friendly service, very pleasant, comfortable venue to spend with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014My girlfriend and I had the best dinner at Baru. Everything we tried was amazing and the staff were friendly and attentive. Will be going again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colombian food with French TwistBritishinBCDined on 7/1/2014Baru Latino is one of the attractions of the Alma and Broadway area. It is a good restaurant with a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 350 reviews are from the Baru Latino Restaurante reviews archive.
- nice placeNadsWDined on 5/16/2014Good food. The empanadas are delish! Would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlacebestliverinvancouverVIPDined on 5/14/2014We have eaten here many times. Always good. Great staff and wonderful food we just keep going back!!Special Features:
- Happy Mothers Day!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014what a great little gem this was! A gift from our daughter and family - loved, loved, loved it.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!WriteOnDined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed sharing tapas and the entres were substantial. Really enjoyed the dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Latin FusionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2014One of the best restaurants in Vancouver. A fantastic blend of south american and spanish cuisine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2014Could not find a complaint if I tried !! Baru ceviche, Latin chips, Paella, Halibut mmmmmm Looking forward to going back so that We can try everything on the menu. What I do know for sure is that I will have the Flan again for dessert <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love BaruOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014The flavours are memorable at Baru. It is a neighbourhood treasure but we would drive or cab to it if it was farther away. We take our out-of-town visitors there and they consistently express envy that there is nothing like Baru where they come from - and these are world travellers who dine out everywhere. We usually order tapas style dishes and possibly one entrée to share and the food comes out piping hot as soon as the next dish is ready. The margueritas and other Latin inspired drinks are great. You feel like you've been out somewhere special when you go to Baru!Special Features:
- Great food & mojito!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2014The food was delicious and the mojito was fabulous. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Great neighbourhood restaurantFoodieDined on 3/25/2014My husband and I love to go there. It's close to our house, the food is delicious and the staff is always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome meal for hatting and nibbblGr8EatsDined on 3/23/2014I eecoomend oederig a few plates and sharing and enjoying some drinks off their coctail menu. I love the food here. Lots of options to sut your taste. I didnt give it 5 starts because there were a few kids. Then again it was a Sunday night. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another successful birthday dinnerSoozDined on 3/15/2014We returned for another birthday celebration after enjoying a wonderful birthday and retirement celebration during Dine-Out Vancouver. Lovely atmosphere, excellent service, very healthy portions, all around very enjoyable experience. We'll be back!! Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our visit to barulocalDined on 3/14/2014we were greeted and seated by a pleasant hostess. our server was friendly and helpful. they make a delicious paella. the wine list is a bit limited, but acceptable. the only problem was the noise level. it was difficult to have a conversation. overall, I would say it was very good. Perhaps come on a week night if you actually want to talk to your dinner date (we were there on a Friday evening) I will recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceDunbarlocalsDined on 3/7/2014Everyone in our group of three ordered something different. And everyone enjoyed their choices. Delicious, good quantity, presentation; it was all there. Would definitely head back for another evening. Wine list provided good options and decently priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baru Latino was a hit andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2014Baru Latino was a hit and miss for us, the staff were welcoming and very tentative, the Paella was awesome, but the Halibut was a little overcooked. That's understandable though, the dining room was full and groups sat down around the same time, it was a 3 person line (BUSY!). Maybe a revisit sometime in the future? Oh, nearly forgot, the Flan was SOOO good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!SoozDined on 1/31/2014We were greeted warmly by Renee (one of the owner's I'm told), seated right away, and received very good and immediate service. Excellent 'dine out Vancouver' experience. Can't believe we had not found this neighbourhood gem before now! We will be back!, excellent food, service, ambiance, and friendly upbeat staff..... Thanks!,Special Features:
- Good Food and atmosphereMilhouseDined on 1/27/2014Food was great, portion size could have been bigger. We mentioned it was our anniversary in the booking notes and no one said or did anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice2catsDined on 1/27/2014Four of us went for the Dine out Vancouver and were very happy indeed with the food and service. Imaginative and tasty offerings which will definitely have us returning! We suspect this is a popular spot since it was hard to get a reservation at a later time and settled for 5pm. All dishes were excellent but my halibut was one of the best cooked and delicious ones I've had in town..some deft, expert hands at work in the kitchen! If you are a spicy wimp like me they will advise you which dishes to avoid but the level of flavours in all the dishes is very good indeed and has everyone saying 'what spice/herb /combination have they used in this dish?!' It was intriguing to experience new flavours.' Excellent'!! was our mutual comment.Special Features:
- With my collegues at work,RosewineDined on 1/26/2014With my collegues at work, tho/ we can only get a 9:30pm for our reservation, they called me when I sent them a message that we would prefer an earlier time if it is possible...they called & suggested that we can come in and sit on the bar and they'll try their best to find a table for the 4 of us asap when one is available..and they did; they kept us updated as well..the experience with the staff, the service and the food is Outstanding!! I am so happy, my colleagues kept on saying how much they love the place, the great service and the food. The dine-out food were all great tasting! Excellent flavour and presentation!! Delicious...We had Baru Paella, and the Crusted Halibut which is cooked right to perfection!! Appies & dessert,excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friends at BaruDggrantDined on 1/26/2014We have been to Baru about 5 times now and have never been disappointed. It has a nice atmosphere, staff, and a very casual vibe to it. When we saw it on the dine-out website, it was a no brainer. We have a 15 yr old daughter as well and it is one of her favorite restaurants to go to. She loves many of the dishes as well as the Virgin Mojitos. We will definitely be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighbourhood DestinationharewoodgirlDined on 1/21/2014Even though Baru has been in the neighbourhood for ages, we'd never been there! Tried it out with the early seating for DineOut Vancouver. Really early: 5 pm. So, it was not full but enough people there to feel we were in good company. Also meant it was relatively quiet. I know it gets busy later on. Very friendly and humourous greeting on arrival--very welcoming. Very good menu. Attentive but not intrusive service. The meal was excellent, although portions were on the small side. Most delicious dessert! Will go back for sure. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Out HighlightwesterngardenerDined on 1/20/2014Decided to try Baru Latino for Dine Out. What a find! If you enjoy food with a bit of spice and that's innovative when combining different ingredients, you've come to the right place. It was a busy night and our group of five had impeccable and attentive service. Kudos to management for fitting in our fifth person at the last might. They aim to please, and with a smile too. Can't wait to check out other menu items. Everyone enjoyed their selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baru Latino is a gemFoodieloverDined on 1/19/2014I loved my evening at Baru Latino. Everything felt great: the atmosphere, the well-timed and friendly service and tasty food. The dishes looked beautiful, were original and excellent.I'll be back to enjoy the other dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!GenaDined on 1/19/2014My friends and I had to drive almost an hour to get there, but we were trying new places for Dine Out Vancouver. The food made every minute of that drive worth it. It was amazing. All of us plan to return again ASAP. Heck, I will make any excuse to drive back up there to eat again. Told everyone at work about the place as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulGinaPDined on 1/19/2014We had a wonderful time, the staff were very helpful. The food was amazing....it was our first time and we are definitely going back!!! Thank you!Special Features:
- Not the greatestjlennDined on 1/19/2014Just to summarized my experienced at Baru, service was OK our server was great at her job but the food on the other hand it's not worth it. We were disappointed at the food and the taste. Won't recommend this place to any of my friends and it'll be our first and last at this place.Special Features: