242 O' Farrell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bartletthallsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 433-4332
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily until 2am
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:30pm-10pm
Late Night Menu: 10pm-1am
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:30am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Emmanuel Eng
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: Catch any sports game on one of our eight TVs.
A word from Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall, located in the heart of San Francisco’s Union Square neighborhood, is a modern saloon and eatery that fuses the city’s historic elements with today’s conveniences. A menu of California-inspired American fare, including a variety of pizzas, small plates and entrees, are served daily for lunch, dinner and late night, with a beverage program that features barrel-aged cocktails, California-focused wines, and local and house-brewed beers. Bartlett Hall is located at 242 O’Farrell Street www.bartletthallsf.com, or call 415-433-4332.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Bartlett Hall - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Bartlett Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (45)good for groups (32)hot spot (27)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (17)late-night find (14)great for lunch (10)special occasion (6)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good BurgersSammiDined on 11/21/2014The burgers and pizza were very good but since they do not show the menu online I did not find out until after we arrived there that this was actually more of a pub and I was expecting more regular meals type on the menu. However, the food they did serve we're very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality dining experienceMaclaneDined on 11/17/2014Went here for my birthday last night. Had an amazing, quality dining experience. Great food and drinks and comforting ambiance. As for service, our server, though efficient and well versed in the menu, seemed impatient with our party as we wanted to take time with the menu each other. Overall our dining experience was very positive, we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014I didn't realize it was a sports bar until I got there. The food was good, and the service was attentive & informed,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottDined on 11/16/2014We were there on a Sunday fun atmosphere to watch football. We had brunch, we got the feeling they wanted to rush through our meal so they could turn the table. Food was ok Very lively bar sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was great for groupoksureDined on 11/10/2014My group was 20+ people and I reserved the place about a week ago. At the time of reservation, I wasn't sure about my group size, so I booked for only 10 people. On the event day, I figured that about 10 more people would come. So, I called them if they can accommodate the unexpected increased number of guests. They did their best and everything went very well. Foods were good, and beer was good. Dish was a bit small, but I guess that's quite standard in the city. Noise level was low enough that conversation was easy. Great and decent place for a group to gather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheBGirlVIPDined on 11/9/2014Excellent bar to watch the 49ers! We had Pizza and Wings.. and both were worthy of a repeat. Note: Not your standard pizza and wings, the chef was very creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eagereaterDined on 11/6/2014We made reservations at Bartlett Hall because this was a threatre night at the A.C.T., and they recommended Bartlett Hall. While some of the food was good, my burger left me quite unimpressed. I chose a burger because the number of entrees was ridiculously limited (3 items). The noise level was almost unbearable. The service, however, was good, and the waiters tried to accomodate us as best they could. I doubt we'll be back.Special Features:
- Bar service wasn't the bestshanshanDined on 11/2/2014Bar service isn't great anywhere really but this service wasn't great even in the face of those low expectations. The bartender managed to squirt a tremendous amount of water in my eye (truly, I'm not even sure where it came from or how he generated enough pressure to do so). A simple, "Oh man, I'm so sorry" would have set things right but he automatically got defensive. "It's just water!" he scolded. Dude, calm down. I wasn't going to freak out on you; accidents happen. But thanks for getting my mascara runny and then being a meanie about it.
- Too loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/2/2014The restaurant was quite noisy, with several large-screen TV's on loud and no sound-absorbing materials in the building. So it was almost impossible to hear anyone talking at the table.Special Features:
- PerfectJamesVIPDined on 11/1/2014I really enjoyed every single thing about this place. This place is my new favorite place in Union Square. The food was brilliantly thought out and executed. The Mavrick Burger melts in your mouth. I hight recommend it for before or after the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME SERVICE!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014The service was AMAZING! I was there to watch Game 6 of the Giants vs. Royals! We made reservations and the host was super accommodating to our asks. She allowed us to switch tables and did not make any facial expressions of negativity! Even when the night went by and it got crowded in there, the hosts always paid attention to our party. I'm sure they paid attention to every customers! I did not have any issues with them. Great time, great food and great folks! Thank you Bartlett Hall for resolving the Open Table issue! Greatly appreciate it! =) Very attentive staff!Special Features:
- Fun for groupsomgirlsvtDined on 10/18/2014We had a group of 7 ladies in town for a race and they had reservations available for a saturday night! We went early, but it was still very happening. This is a great bar, but the food was delicious too. It is loud because there's sports on a TV in every nook and cranny, so don't expect a quiet night here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YesSirVIPDined on 10/15/2014limited menu, not much there. bar food only, skip if looking for dinner mealSpecial Features:
- Cute new placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/15/2014Went for lunch. Good service, great atmosphere and decor Bar scene with TV's to watch the game Limited menu but some great optionsSpecial Features:
- Surprisingly Kid FriendlyGreatVIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was amazing and the service outstanding....And I was surprised at how child friendly this restaurant was. The server gave us great recommendations and the food and beer list were terrific.Special Features:
- Sportssfgiants1Dined on 10/14/2014Great place for sports. TV gallure. Service is a little ba at times. Not so atentive. More food options could be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't BotherOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014We were seated 15 minutes late for our reservation and after waiting 20 minutes for the drinks we ordered when we were finally seated, we left.
- A great new place to eat downtownMAC30RobtCDined on 9/23/2014Picked this place off Open Table because it was new and it was close to the theatre. The menu wasn't all that large, but the things on it were delicious and beautifully presented. The staff was attentive and friendly, and the service as a whole was excellent. There were exciting and innovative menu choices, including the Octopus and watermelon small plate (with friarelli peppers, pepita and california chili relish, sesame oil) which both appealed to my sense of adventure and once I tasted it, made my mouth very very happy. There were many other things I wanted to try, so I will definitely be suggesting this destination for adventures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itKTSFVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our gracious server was really the only bright spot. Terrible cocktails, overpriced beers, and 5 out of 5 burgers we ordered medium came out well done.
- WowzipgracieDined on 9/15/2014We had a very special evening with fabulous food, super service. Great time! Thank you for being a highlight of our SF visit.Special Features:
- Too busy being coolDisapointingDined on 9/14/2014This place makes every effort to be cool and very proud of their menu. After telling us about all the good things they have, he proceeded to tell us about all the items they were out of. It took an hour for us to get our food and the waiter disappeared in between. The $22 personal pizzas seemed a bit over priced and a bit below the skill of their highly touted chef.Special Features:
- happyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Jorge is a wonderful bartender and the hamburger is one of the best. Very fun place I found through Hugo and I thank him for introducing me. Not being a sports fan, I would definitely avoid this place on any game day.Special Features:
- Amazing first experienceYummyDined on 9/7/2014Went for a birthday dinner and the service was great as well as the food. Love this place! Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy & funlwilliaDined on 8/29/2014We were a group of 8 ranging in age from 23 to 60 including a couple vegetarians. We all found something to eat but the menu's limited & on the pricey side for what you get. Noise level kept conversation limited to the person sitting right next to you. Great location near Union Square, but there's a lot of choices for your money in SF & this wasn't stellar. Pleasant & accomodating wait staff, visually appealing decor.Special Features:
- Only for casual diningDavyVIPDined on 8/23/2014This should be positioned as an after-shopping or pre-party burger type of place. Food is overall good, and the service very good.
- Bartlett HallLLEEBDined on 8/23/2014Overall I was very disappointed. For appetizers we had the spicy nuts which were stale & needed seasoning, the smokey olives which were bland, the spicy romano beans which were way too spicy-it was the only thing you could taste (althought they were cooked perfectly) & the fried green tomatoes which were okay but not great. My daughter's pizza was average. The waiter let her know that is was very spicy so she was able to alter the spice level. The fried chicken was exceptional, especially the thigh. Our dessert, the chocolate banna pie, was inedible. It began with a crust that was hard as a rock and so thick you couldn't cut it. The filling was mostly whipped cream. It was hard to find a banana & the chocolate didn't have any flavor.
- Very limited MenuTony123VIPDined on 8/22/2014Went before a show and disappointed in the very limited menu. Burger was ok, nothing exceptional. The prosciutto pizza was too spicy to taste anything but hot, and it wasn't real prosciutto. Service was fast, friendly and good. The bar was crowded with a happy hour crowd of way under 30.Special Features:
- littleDined on 8/18/2014Food was great! Menu was well round buy small. Waiter may have been new he was not familiar with preparations on the menu. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smart little placeMeriVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent. Healthy choices for the most part. Really enjoyed the kobe beef burger. The service was slower than expected considering it was lunch and half full, but in the end worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Union Square AreaCWannerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Pleasantly surprised by the new Bartlett Hall. Very spacious, good decor and nice vibe. Good Beer and Wine selection, and cocktails weren't bad either. Just enough on the menu to satisfy a group, and much better than most other Union Square options. Their own house-made beer was the only turn-off. I'm sure it will get better though...they just started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 24 reviews are from the Bartlett Hall reviews archive.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014Union Square needed a place like this badly. I was skeptical, being a local and usually avoiding touristy joints like the plauge. I was pleasantly surprised. The drinks were inventive and although complicated, managed to get to my table quickly. The food...OMG get the burger! Holy smokes. Just do it, don't ask why. The heirloom tomato salad was good, tartare was strange but in a positive way. And the bread pudding was beyond fantastic.Special Features:
- Upscale grub in Union SquarescolesDined on 7/26/2014I was so pleased to find a great new spot in an area not known for many good food options. It was casual, fun and delish! We had: * Maverick's infamous butter burger - kobe butter burger, cheddar & stout rarebit, crispy onions, kennebec fries - ok, seriously, amazing - top ever that I can remember; fries great too * Fried green tomatoes, Pickled ramp ranch, pea shoot and radish salad - soo good - great flavors * Pizza with Potato, eggplant, roasted garlic, calabrian chili, burrata - very tasty * Yerba Buena tequila, lime, ginger, pinch of mint, soda water - excellent refreshing drinkSpecial Features:
- Good Food Union SquaremysteryfoodDined on 7/12/2014I was at Bartlett Hall for an early dinner, but could see that the bar was getting lively and the food is down home. I had lamb shank which was delicious, falling off the bone. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great but ...IbafVIPDined on 7/10/2014Found that food quality was very good, ordered the spicy octopus but was left looking for said octopus, which is the only downside as it was very good overall. Desserts were really good!!!
- Unimpressive.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/10/2014Food and service extremely lackluster. No flavor. Service slow and disjointed.
- Mixed reviewTbirdDined on 7/9/2014Qualifier: we had lunch on the day of the World Cup consolation game so the place was packed. That being said, our service was inattentive (at best) and extremely slow. Our food was excellent....farro risotto (very interesting and tasty), smoked olives (amazing), lamb (excellent). I will definitely try the restaurant again as the location is great, the ambience fun....we'll just hope for better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!sfgirlDined on 7/5/2014We went here to celebrate a friend's birthday and had a great experience. The food was phenomenal, the ambiance was fun, and the servicxe was great!Special Features:
- Trying too hardOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014While the burger and brownie are excellent, other dishes fell short. It seemed like the kitchen was trying too hard to be inventive, and not all the flavor combinations were successful. Still, there's a nice vibe inside, good cocktails and beer, and friendly (if slow) service.
- Still needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/3/2014The menu is interesting and the food was very good. We shared small plates and pizzas. Reasonable price/performance. Good cocktails and house-made beer. The waiter had a bit of an attitude (not clear why) and when I handed over an OpenTable dining check, he ran the credit card for the full amount anyway, seemingly hoping I would forget about the dining check. Fixed it when I called him on it, but REALLY not cool.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014The maverick, aka butter burger, was fantastic! We are visiting from va or this would be a regular spot for us.Special Features: