242 O' Farrell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bartletthallsf.com/
- Phone: 4154334332x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-Su 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Emmanuel Eng
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Yerba Buena Room sits apart from the rest of the dining hall, offering an ideal space for an alternative to the standard office meeting, a great room for birthdays and all celebrations. The room features state of the art audio visual equipment and can be expanded for larger groups of up to 50 guests. We are also available for full and partial buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 4154334332x
- Special Events: Catch any sports game on one of our eight TVs.
A word from Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall, a new eating, drinking and gathering place in San Francisco’s Union Square neighborhood, is set to open its doors this spring at 242 O’Farrell Street, making it one of the latest additions to the area’s bustling dining and retail scene. Named after the first Alcalde (mayor) of American-era San Francisco who changed the name of the city to San Francisco from Yerba Buena, this urban meeting space fuses the city’s historic elements with its present day lively personality—serving as a place where quality, comfort and craft reign supreme. An eating and drinking establishment like no other, Bartlett Hall captures the essence of San Francisco in the form of food, drink and good times, where guests can sip barrel-aged cocktails, house-brewed beers and enjoy uniquely crafted bites from lunch to late night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Bartlett Hall - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Bartlett Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (40)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (21)hot spot (17)late-night find (13)great for lunch (9)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (5)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Only for casual diningDavyVIPDined on 8/23/2014This should be positioned as an after-shopping or pre-party burger type of place. Food is overall good, and the service very good.
- Bartlett HallLLEEBDined on 8/23/2014Overall I was very disappointed. For appetizers we had the spicy nuts which were stale & needed seasoning, the smokey olives which were bland, the spicy romano beans which were way too spicy-it was the only thing you could taste (althought they were cooked perfectly) & the fried green tomatoes which were okay but not great. My daughter's pizza was average. The waiter let her know that is was very spicy so she was able to alter the spice level. The fried chicken was exceptional, especially the thigh. Our dessert, the chocolate banna pie, was inedible. It began with a crust that was hard as a rock and so thick you couldn't cut it. The filling was mostly whipped cream. It was hard to find a banana & the chocolate didn't have any flavor.
- Very limited MenuTony123VIPDined on 8/22/2014Went before a show and disappointed in the very limited menu. Burger was ok, nothing exceptional. The prosciutto pizza was too spicy to taste anything but hot, and it wasn't real prosciutto. Service was fast, friendly and good. The bar was crowded with a happy hour crowd of way under 30.Special Features:
- littleDined on 8/18/2014Food was great! Menu was well round buy small. Waiter may have been new he was not familiar with preparations on the menu. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smart little placeMeriVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent. Healthy choices for the most part. Really enjoyed the kobe beef burger. The service was slower than expected considering it was lunch and half full, but in the end worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Union Square AreaCWannerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Pleasantly surprised by the new Bartlett Hall. Very spacious, good decor and nice vibe. Good Beer and Wine selection, and cocktails weren't bad either. Just enough on the menu to satisfy a group, and much better than most other Union Square options. Their own house-made beer was the only turn-off. I'm sure it will get better though...they just started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014Union Square needed a place like this badly. I was skeptical, being a local and usually avoiding touristy joints like the plauge. I was pleasantly surprised. The drinks were inventive and although complicated, managed to get to my table quickly. The food...OMG get the burger! Holy smokes. Just do it, don't ask why. The heirloom tomato salad was good, tartare was strange but in a positive way. And the bread pudding was beyond fantastic.Special Features:
- Upscale grub in Union SquarescolesDined on 7/26/2014I was so pleased to find a great new spot in an area not known for many good food options. It was casual, fun and delish! We had: * Maverick's infamous butter burger - kobe butter burger, cheddar & stout rarebit, crispy onions, kennebec fries - ok, seriously, amazing - top ever that I can remember; fries great too * Fried green tomatoes, Pickled ramp ranch, pea shoot and radish salad - soo good - great flavors * Pizza with Potato, eggplant, roasted garlic, calabrian chili, burrata - very tasty * Yerba Buena tequila, lime, ginger, pinch of mint, soda water - excellent refreshing drinkSpecial Features:
- Good Food Union SquaremysteryfoodDined on 7/12/2014I was at Bartlett Hall for an early dinner, but could see that the bar was getting lively and the food is down home. I had lamb shank which was delicious, falling off the bone. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/10/2014Found that food quality was very good, ordered the spicy octopus but was left looking for said octopus, which is the only downside as it was very good overall. Desserts were really good!!!
- Unimpressive.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/10/2014Food and service extremely lackluster. No flavor. Service slow and disjointed.
- Mixed reviewTbirdDined on 7/9/2014Qualifier: we had lunch on the day of the World Cup consolation game so the place was packed. That being said, our service was inattentive (at best) and extremely slow. Our food was excellent....farro risotto (very interesting and tasty), smoked olives (amazing), lamb (excellent). I will definitely try the restaurant again as the location is great, the ambience fun....we'll just hope for better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!sfgirlDined on 7/5/2014We went here to celebrate a friend's birthday and had a great experience. The food was phenomenal, the ambiance was fun, and the servicxe was great!Special Features:
- Trying too hardOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014While the burger and brownie are excellent, other dishes fell short. It seemed like the kitchen was trying too hard to be inventive, and not all the flavor combinations were successful. Still, there's a nice vibe inside, good cocktails and beer, and friendly (if slow) service.
- Still needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/3/2014The menu is interesting and the food was very good. We shared small plates and pizzas. Reasonable price/performance. Good cocktails and house-made beer. The waiter had a bit of an attitude (not clear why) and when I handed over an OpenTable dining check, he ran the credit card for the full amount anyway, seemingly hoping I would forget about the dining check. Fixed it when I called him on it, but REALLY not cool.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014The maverick, aka butter burger, was fantastic! We are visiting from va or this would be a regular spot for us.Special Features:
- Cocktails and beerOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/28/2014Fancy sports/theme bar. Good effort on cocktails. Better selection of beer than most places in the neighborhood.
- Terrific FoodLynnVIPDined on 6/24/2014The food was delicious! Amazing in fact! The noise level is very loud!!! There was a party going on in the back and the noise level was extremely HIGH! Would not dissuade me from coming back though.... DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Bartlett Hall - worth going to.Anthony56554Dined on 6/23/2014Great food, well presented and well balanced (not over seasoned like some others around).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/19/2014This place was a bit weird: can't quite decide if it's a bar or a restaurant. The menu is pretty limited, and has a lot of pork and garlic. In our group of 3, one of us is not big on pork, and another is allergic to garlic. Also, pretty noisy unless you can get a table in the back. Not feeling like I need to rush back there.
- interesting menuMLSFDined on 6/18/2014Liked the limited menu and everything was tasty. The salmon dish was unusual and good and they split it for us. Soon they will be serving their own beer, for now there's already a big selection. Nice informal atmosphere. The music combined with the crowd made it very loud for us. Good addition to the pre-theater dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in Union Square!JudeVIPDined on 6/16/2014We read about Bartlett Hall on the SF Eater and thought it sounded different and interesting. It was both! It just opened in the past month and is not that busy yet, but our server Courtney was a doll and aimed to please! We had great duck confit pizza and fried green tomatoes to start. We then shared the chicken and the burger. Everything was terrific! They are trying to elevate the idea of bar food with local, recognizable ingredients created in a creative- but not too weird fashion. SF is filled with tons of wonderful restaurants that are cutting edge and challenging. Sometimes we just want to eat simple food that is well prepared. BH fills the bill on that score! We would return if we were in the area!I would recommend this to a friend.
- limited menu but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/15/2014The menu is extremely limited but why expand if what you have is good. We ordered a beet and avocado salad that was extremely flavorful. The fried green tomatoes did disappoint though...seemed premade and just not good enough. We each had a pizza (prosciutto and spicy sausage) and both were amazing. Dessert also appeared to be premade and ready for service...which didn't do anything for me...we could have skipped that one. Either way, service and the salad and two pizzas were pretty darn good. Will definitely come again and try some more items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected but great foodfussyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Food wa delicious but atmosphere felt more like a pub than fine dining. Really is a sports bar atmosphere. Lots of TVsSpecial Features:
- New Gem in Theater DistrictJASeatsDined on 6/8/2014Went there for early dinner before theater. Food was great and the service/host was exceptional. The decor is gorgeous, think upscale brew pub. We especially enjoyed the willingness of our server to actually serve us, she knew her dishes, was attentive and got us out by showtime...we will return!! Thank you Bartlett HallSpecial Features:
- World Cup Stomping GroundsAgentLotusVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our first time here on a Friday night and my boyfriend and I were greeted by the hostess promptly. We had no idea that Bartlett Hall was a sports bar and we immediately lost our way to the table, mesmerized by the last few seconds of the NBA Western Conference finals. The hostess was great and was able to find us a seat facing the 4 screens running the length of the bar. This will surely be my go-to spot to watch the World Cup! We had the asparagus and buratta salad which was slamming, as well as the risotto which had a great balance of flavors. The duck pizza was a little disappointing but the other two items and our cocktails were great. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Square winnerSpecialKVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great Union Square restaurant that locals would appreciate too. Lots of tvs to watch the games, and a very large beautiful space. Farro risotto was excellent- a nice balance of flavors and textures. Buttermilk panna cotta dessert was a dream and we would go back just for that. The caramelized strawberries and churros were the perfect additions. Nice, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enticing new breweryFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014This place has only just opened and there are a few kinks to work out but overall we liked it. We were seated right next to a tap room but there were no home brews on the menu, in fact one of the beers that was on the menu was out as well. The Maverick burger was good, they even put a fried egg on top per our special request. I had the fried chicken which I thought was good although I'm not a fan of greasy fare. We also had the panna cotta, which was very nice. The decor is dark and elegant, I liked it. They have lots of TV screens at the bar which is good if you want to watch a game but beware that the bar is close to the main door which was kept open and therefore it was freezing cold. We'll be back once they start brewing their own beer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sports barIeatSFDined on 5/21/2014looks like this would make for a great spot to catch a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BurgersTrishVIPDined on 5/21/2014Brand new, great decor, fun setting. Good price points, however $5.00 for a small cereal size bowl of popcorn is a bit over kill. Waitress service was a bit slow which is kind of strange because the restaurant was not busy but bus person constantly refilled our water glasses. Took a long time to get our drinks and once the food arrived the waitress was slow to check in, she forgot to bring the popcorn but promptly did so once I mentioned it and took it off our bill. We both ordered the Butter Burger, very good, could definitely done with out the over abundance of mayo like sauce and gooey cheese. If I go back will order it plain. I know they are still working the kinks out so will not hold it against them for the slow service.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Bartlett Hall reviews archive.