3232 McKinney Ave
Dallas, TX 75204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barteruptown.com/
- Phone: 2149696898
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Dilda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Flavorful dining options, gracious service, and attentiveness to detail are to be expected, no matter how large or small the occasion. Options include the Private Dining Area, the Dining Room, Communal Table, the Bar Area, Patio and Skyline Terrace.
- Private Party Contact: Brooke Williams-Ahlberg 2149537682x
- Cross Street: Hall St
- Public Transit: The McKinney Avenue Trolley stops at the front door. The Cityplace Dart Rail station is 1/2 mile away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available for $5.00, directly in front on McKinney Ave.
Free self-parking in garage (entrance is on Hall Street; validation required.)
A word from Barter
Winner of the 2014 Tastemaker Awards for Best New Restaurant: Barter's executive chef Andrew Dilda and consulting chef Tim Love offer a menu that honors Dallas¹ culinary traditions and flavors, turning to the city and itsContinued
diversity as a muse to inspire a decidedly Dallas take on contemporary
Texan cuisine. Along with an award winning bar program by Rocco Milano.
diversity as a muse to inspire a decidedly Dallas take on contemporary
Texan cuisine. Along with an award winning bar program by Rocco Milano.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Barter - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Barter reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (29)hot spot (27)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (21)special occasion (18)great for lunch (17)romantic (13)late-night find (8)notable wine list (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Wonderful Girls Night Outcj77Dined on 8/23/2014We had a group of 8 during Restaurant Week on Saturday night. We had a wonderful experience and delicious meal. Part of the group ordered from the Restaurant Week menu and others from the standard menu. The server orchestrated the meal beautifully and a wonderful time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good locationKristi62Dined on 8/16/2014Food and service were good. We went during resturant week, so the menu was very creative. I had a ceviche appetizer, the Pork chop selection (which was fabulous) and my husband had the venison appetizer (okay) and the steak creation. The highlight of the night was the desert -- a warm pecan pie served al a mode! Deilicious! Great location in the heart of uptown, with great street views.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyed - Restaurant WeekVettyDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for something in the area and thought Barter's restaurant week menu looked good. We were totally satisfied, our food was great and the wine pairings were excellent. Our waiter Doug was attentive and very helpful throughout. We had the pecan tart for dessert served with french press coffee and were not disappointed. We did arrive early just before 6 p.m. and so I'm not sure how crowded it gets at prime dinner time but we thought it was a nice atmosphere and we plan to go back. Loved the crispy brussels! Valet parking just around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all I'd expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Reservations available after 7 on a Friday night (during restaurant week) should have given me a clue. After a 12 minute wait between being seated and the first person to show up at our table to see if we needed anything, I was ready to dismiss the place. Fortunately, it picked up a bit after that. Had it been a packed restaurant, I could almost have cut some slack for the server, but there were several empty tables around. The server mixed up the first course (how? we ordered the same item and two different ones showed up) but service became a little more reliable after a manager/owner type got involved. The food was very good and presentation outstanding. The wine list was almost entirely California (soon to be fixed, I was told)
- Just okTxsingergalDined on 8/14/2014Menu was rather strange and not necessarily appealing. Vegetables were dripping in oil. Service was ok, not great. Cool atmosphere for drinks - I might skip dinner.
- BartercazkdDined on 8/14/2014Was an exceptional dining experience. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening here.Special Features:
- Barter satisfies on all levelsKelstxDined on 8/14/2014Great menu, great drinks & great service. Definitely will return to give more items a taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I came to Dallas to visit my girlfriend while she's here for work and online research (Zagat and DFW Magazine) directed me to BARTER. We were able to take advantage of their restaurant week special which was VERY generous to say the least. Between the two of us, we were able to try almost every dish and they were all delicious. Standouts were the Pork Chop and the Tile Fish entrees, as well as the Butter Lettuce Wedge salad. Impeccable service. We are going to try and come back here for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch placedavidwyrick85VIPDined on 8/3/2014This place is always fun, live music energetic crowd, unlimited mimosas and good timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO NOT GOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014a group of 6 of us went to barter for brunch last sunday ... it was AWFUL. the menu creatively describes their meal choices but when the entree arrives, you will be sorely disappointed. my meal was cold and far too chewy ... especially for an EGG dish. they were out of a few app options b/c of a "crazy saturday night" - who knows what that means. save your $$ and spend it next door at del frisco's grill.
- Good food... Service not so muchLesterDined on 8/2/2014We had a group of 9 people. I appreciated the call to confirm our table in advance and they our table was ready when we arrived. Unfortunately, we had a brand new waitress and a big table was a challenge. We all had empty glasses repeatedly and 2 guests received the wrong food while another person's was 10 minutes later than the rest. It then took 20-25 minutes for the wrong food to be replaced with the steaks that were ordered and another friend sent her undercooked chicken fried chicken back! If I am going to pay that much for a meal, the service should be better and the biggest table should have an experienced waitress.
- Fantastic bartender StephenftdeDined on 8/2/2014The bartender Stephen was fantastic and created custom drinks for me and my friend based on our flavor preferences. The drinks were wonderful and he was very entertaining. The food was also delicious.Special Features:
- First time, great night!BelomorVIPDined on 7/29/2014Wonderful selection of drinks, really good food and great, very attentive and friendly, service! Loved their chicken with carrots. burger, and quail wings. Interesting local beers. We will be back, thanks!Special Features:
- Quite a find.DallasFoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014We don't usually like the trendy places because that inevitably means bad food. And the location had us a bit nervous on the parking situation. But we were pleasantly surprised with valet parking, comfortable chairs, a nice menu, good drinks, attentive service, and generally an interesting atmosphere. It's decorated like a deconstructed Restoration Hardware with a mix of chairs at each table. Overall a good find for the right price. We'll keep it on our list of dining possibilities for the future.Special Features:
- Imaginative- yes, but overpricedCentavoDined on 7/28/2014Four of us met for dinner. I liked the eclectic menu and the food was plated well. I got the blackened bass- 5 oz serving served on a rectangular plate accompanied by a very creative, almost 'pretty' little hill of salad. Bass was done satisfactorily. So they're on the right path. Unfortunately. the dish failed on value: $30. Maybe add another side... it was Spartan. My boyfriend got the pork shank-- while tasty, it was too fatty. All in all a B for effort , but otherwise a C --> They haven't found their groove yet to bring me back-- despite the food or its delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2014The brunch menu had several selections that were a bit off the beaten path. Food was served promptly and very warm. The entertainment was provided by a local musician that we have seen several times, Goga Denisov.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piggly wigglyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Ordered pork ribs sauce too sweet green beans good needed more to the menu. Should include a starch without having to order as an extra. All and all ok but will probably not return or recommend
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2014Pretty decent food. Great unique drink selection and cocktails. Somewhat limited menu items though. Similar to Stampede 66, just without the Stephen Pyles flair. Overall a good pick when they don't run out of certain menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great uptown gemRockymountainfinestdinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Very quiet at 2 pm but loved the decor/ambience menu was as interesting as I have seen in awhile. Fish Tostado a must... Grilled green Beans too.Special Features:
- Very disappointedDFWFoodfanVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had high expectations but were very disappointed. The menu sounded promising, but the food didn't deliver. The noise level was loud enough that we had to yell across the table.Special Features:
- Great local spot. Fun atmosphere.LovegrubVIPDined on 7/17/2014Barter was fun experience. The service was very atentative, but not smothering. The live band was awesome. My wife and I felt compelled to sing along in between conversations. Food options were great, pulling from various geographies...Louisiana to Montreal cuisine. But only a few dishes really "brought it home" for me. The quail legs and the pork shank.... Oh and the awesome French press coffee served with our pecan pie. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And it won't break the bank to enjoy a full 3 course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EAdineVIPDined on 7/17/2014The menu wasn't that significant, it had a couple of interesting choices but nothing really stood out. It's a place you might want to try once. The drink menu was impressive.Special Features:
- Great findSusanVIPDined on 7/17/2014We loved this restaurant! The food was great! We had the Hamberger and crab tacos great! Our waiter Doug was fantastic! We was very personable and assertive. He had great recommendations and always checking on us. Our drinks were always refilled. I really like that. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicyhal52VIPDined on 7/17/2014When the waiter tells you it is spicy trust him. I love spicy and so was pleasantly surprised. If you don't like spicy tell your waiter they will guide you to the milder dishes. It was a spectacular fireworks of taste bud busting meal for me.Special Features:
- Silent but deadly!!kmsimeDined on 7/16/2014This place was AMAZING!!! The food was great, the cocktails were delicious and creative; I would highly recommend it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted to love this place...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014It's on McKinney, cool part of town, lots of people out and about....the food just wasn't great and I love Tom Love. Our server was strange to be honest. Just got a weird vibe from him, like he didn't want us to be in his section or we were annoying him by asking questions. My girlfriend and I both left the restaurant wanting...The drinks were fine but for $100 meal we shouldn't be so disappointed.
- Good Food, but a tad bit expensiveArgonautDined on 7/15/2014Had the Poutine, Crispy Black Bass, and Berry Cobbler for dessert. It had an interesting cocktail menu, the basil cooler was refreshing. Everything was very tasty, well prepared, and cleanly presented. The poutine was enough to share. The Crispy Black Bass was nice and light. This was accompanied with a wild green salad which complimented the fish. Was there on a Tuesday night, which appear to be a slow night for the main dining area. The bar was constantly packed with people and seemed to be lively. The main restaurant has a modern rustic look. Service was spot on, helpful and efficient, but not intrusive. The 4 person tables have a tendancy to tip over, but I understand that issue is being remedied. All in all a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sstnmVIPDined on 7/12/2014On the Saturday night we were there, they were out of several entrees on their menu at 8:00 o'clock (which our server didn't tell us until we were ready to order those items). But in his defense, he was very apologetic. Later the manager came by also to apologize. She comped desserts for all three of us and in addition, gave us each a gift card for a future visit. We will definitely give it a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatMesquitePairDined on 7/12/2014We were there early and very surprised to find that they were "sold out" of several items (only a couple of other tables there when we arrived) the most surprising being the deviled egg appetizer. Seemed kind of early in the evening for things to be "sold out" Lamb shoulder had to be sent back as it was undercooked, once fully cooked was good. BBQ Shrimp and biscuit were good. Desserts were good, generous portions. The most attentive person was the one refilling the water, we had to ask for the waiter a couple of times.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014The experience left me underwhelmed. Service was slow. Our server was adequate, just absent most of the evening. The food was good, but I expected more from Tim Love. I would go back, but with lower expectations.
- Great experience! Plan to return!MayfDined on 7/9/2014Brought my girlfriend and parents to Barter for the gf's birthday and everyone had a great time. First off, the bartenders are fantastic! They are true bartenders who know what they're doing and can make some truly awesome drinks! After a few drinks, we went and sat down. The service was great, the environment was fun and laid back, and the food was very good. The menu is pretty interesting. They have quite a range of dishes to choose from. Whether it's poutine with pork, soft-shell crab fajitas, pork shanks, you name it... they'll have something for you. I'll be returning and recommending this place. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can I say...TomSVIPDined on 7/5/2014Loved the Poutine, my Canadian friends said it's one of the best they have had in the states! The drinks were great, loved the bloody Mary's! The brunch items, not so much. All of the brunch items we low on protein, lots of potatoes and rice. My friend ordered a dish with chicken wings and the meaty part of the wings were removed, strange. I will go back, but will stick with the regular menu items.Special Features:
- Limited menu, new, but attractiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/28/2014This was my first dining experience at Barter. The location is great with very nice outdoor seating, minus the initially very loud music. My friend and I moved seats and they eventually turned it down. Our waiter unfortunately greeted us with a frown...perhaps because the lunch crowd was dead at 1p or perhaps he was having a rotten day. I had the wedge salad, which was a large portion. There was far too much dressing, and it wasn't tangy enough for my preference. If you are gluten-sensitive, this is probably not the best place for you. Most menu items included something fired or with bread. The entrees were also quite pricey ($20+) even for lunch. The design of the space is gorgeous, but the food options probably won't entice me to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to work out kinksFoodEDined on 6/27/2014Great ambiance! We enjoyed the food, cocktails and live music as well! Our only complaint is that our waiter was terrible. He was difficult to understand, not familiar with the specials (or couldn't verbalized them), wasn't on top of providing silverware or drinks etc. It was also impossible getting someone on the phone prior to arriving. Other than that, we really thought Barter had a cool vibe and really enjoyed the live music! Hopefully, they will improve the service and bring it up to the standard they are trying to achieve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great live musicdavidwyrick85VIPDined on 6/26/2014Good food, good service, amazing live music = great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ackelbeinVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great vibe, excellent food and service. I'm going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinks and servicesjd111VIPDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I have been here once for dinner and once for breakfast/brunch. Both times we had excellent service (especially the first night...I believe the waiter's name was Aaron) and excellent drinks. The food both times was just average. The atmosphere inside and the outdoor seating space is trendy and fun. We'll be back, but probably just for drinks + apps.Special Features:
- Very LoudRickDined on 6/21/2014The large table of 20 next to us ruined the evening for my 3 dining companions because we were in the backroom and you could not hear anything with this annoying and very loud group. But thankfully the food helped make a bad evening less bad. Server tried his best to provide great service. A suggestion to the restaurant might be to hold groups to no more than 10 in the back room. Its just too small for a loud large group. We enjoyed the food and as soon as we got done we got out and went next door and sat outside at the bar at Del Frisco Grill so we could talk and actually enjoy each others company. I would try it again but never in the back room with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sorry; won't returnBilly525VIPDined on 6/5/2014We chose to eat lunch here today due to the 1000 pt. table offered through OpenTable. We were certainly sorry we did. Horrific traffic and parking conditions. We ordered tenderloin sandwich and pulled pork sandwich, and would rate them both a 5 or 6 out of 10. Server was nice, but certainly forgettable. When asked about what flavor of iced tea the restaurant served, the response was "just Lipton." Hostess was friendly, but not enough to save this bad experience. 1000 pts or not, we won't be back. Sorry.
- Great Service, Food just okdavidwyrick85VIPDined on 6/3/2014For lunch I had BLT and chips, the bread was to greasy and way to much salty bacon. BLT should be light and fresh sandwich not greasy and salty like burger. But manager did resolved the issue and brought me a salad instead because they didn't want me to leave hungry, so I'll give them that. Good job on service but need to step up with a better lunch menu over all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.