3232 McKinney Ave
Dallas, TX 75204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barteruptown.com/
- Phone: 2149696898
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Dilda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Flavorful dining options, gracious service, and attentiveness to detail are to be expected, no matter how large or small the occasion. Options include the Private Dining Area, the Dining Room, Communal Table, the Bar Area, Patio and Skyline Terrace.
- Private Party Contact: Brooke Williams-Ahlberg 2149537682x
- Cross Street: Hall St
- Public Transit: The McKinney Avenue Trolley stops at the front door. The Cityplace Dart Rail station is 1/2 mile away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available for $5.00, directly in front on McKinney Ave.
Free self-parking in garage (entrance is on Hall Street; validation required.)
A word from Barter
Winner of the 2014 Tastemaker Awards for Best New Restaurant: Barter's executive chef Andrew Dilda and consulting chef Tim Love offer a menu that honors Dallas¹ culinary traditions and flavors, turning to the city and itsContinued
diversity as a muse to inspire a decidedly Dallas take on contemporary
Texan cuisine. Along with an award winning bar program by Rocco Milano.
diversity as a muse to inspire a decidedly Dallas take on contemporary
Texan cuisine. Along with an award winning bar program by Rocco Milano.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barter reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)vibrant bar scene (39)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (28)great for outdoor dining (27)special occasion (21)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (16)romantic (14)notable wine list (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Left us lackinggoodeatsDined on 9/16/2014Went to Barter for a dinner with may wife and daughter, we live in the area and had heard good things about it. We were there on a Tuesday so it was a little slow with one big party who managed to make the entire place noisy but that seems to be the norm these days. Our waiter seemed a little bored and while ordering cocktails (these were very good), I asked about the wines that they had up on the chalkboard, he didn't seem to know much about them. My wife ordered the Chili Crab Fajitas which came out without the tortillas and were only warm. My daughter ordered the Chicken Fried Chicken which she enjoyed although the grilled green beans were very over cooked. My tenderloin sandwich was tasty but over a bit overdressed, good fries.
- AverageTdinesdallasDined on 9/13/2014Food is average, service is average. We wanted to like it more, so with all the restaurant choices in Dallas, we certainly won't go back.Special Features:
- Food was disappointingFoodfiendDined on 9/12/2014The quality on the food was spotty. My salad and crispy artichokes were terrible. Definitely would not return.
- So-SoTriggerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is just an average place. Nothing special about it. I couldn't figure out the theme they are going for. A rope wrapped around a light fixture? The food was ok, but not something that I would go back for. Limited menu, and expensive for what they offer. I won't be back.
- Very nice evening....SkinFlickDined on 9/4/2014Love the decor of the place and the upscale but casual style. Very friendly staff, prompt service, and great food. Had the artichoke and deviled eggs, it was the star of the evening! Until, we got our entrees. Great burger and great sliced beef sandwich. Such great flavors. Very cool place and we will be going back. Dessert was ok, nothing special... but I need to skip dessert anyway. :-)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Great food and drinks. The service was awesome! I brought a small group of girlfriends. We were able to talk and hear each other in the dinning area which was great. The appetizers were yummy and the wine list included a nice selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go For The Cocktails and ServiceTommyDined on 9/2/2014I would go back to Barter again for happy hour and then go next door to Del Friscos Grill to eat. Our server was amazing. The cocktail selection is wonderful and the bartenders know what they are doing. Overall it was just ok and probably not worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathVIPDined on 8/30/2014we went during restaurant week and ate that menu but we will return to try their regular items. it was exceptional!Special Features:
- Wonderful Girls Night Outcj77Dined on 8/23/2014We had a group of 8 during Restaurant Week on Saturday night. We had a wonderful experience and delicious meal. Part of the group ordered from the Restaurant Week menu and others from the standard menu. The server orchestrated the meal beautifully and a wonderful time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerFoodieDined on 8/22/2014It was our first time there. The atmosphere was nice and the restaurant is beautiful. As we entered the restaurant the hostesses greeted us immediately and were very nice. Once we were seated we were given water by the water guy. We remained seated for a good 10-15 and wasn't acknowledged by any waiter or waitress. I used my cell to call the front desk to request a waiter. The manager apologized for the inconvenience, got us a waiter, and we were served quickly. Because of the managers concern and compassion for us it took away most of the sting. She also treated us to free desert, and a bottle of Champagne. The incident was very hurtful to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good locationKristi62Dined on 8/16/2014Food and service were good. We went during resturant week, so the menu was very creative. I had a ceviche appetizer, the Pork chop selection (which was fabulous) and my husband had the venison appetizer (okay) and the steak creation. The highlight of the night was the desert -- a warm pecan pie served al a mode! Deilicious! Great location in the heart of uptown, with great street views.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyed - Restaurant WeekVettyDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for something in the area and thought Barter's restaurant week menu looked good. We were totally satisfied, our food was great and the wine pairings were excellent. Our waiter Doug was attentive and very helpful throughout. We had the pecan tart for dessert served with french press coffee and were not disappointed. We did arrive early just before 6 p.m. and so I'm not sure how crowded it gets at prime dinner time but we thought it was a nice atmosphere and we plan to go back. Loved the crispy brussels! Valet parking just around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all I'd expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Reservations available after 7 on a Friday night (during restaurant week) should have given me a clue. After a 12 minute wait between being seated and the first person to show up at our table to see if we needed anything, I was ready to dismiss the place. Fortunately, it picked up a bit after that. Had it been a packed restaurant, I could almost have cut some slack for the server, but there were several empty tables around. The server mixed up the first course (how? we ordered the same item and two different ones showed up) but service became a little more reliable after a manager/owner type got involved. The food was very good and presentation outstanding. The wine list was almost entirely California (soon to be fixed, I was told)
- Just okTxsingergalDined on 8/14/2014Menu was rather strange and not necessarily appealing. Vegetables were dripping in oil. Service was ok, not great. Cool atmosphere for drinks - I might skip dinner.
- BartercazkdDined on 8/14/2014Was an exceptional dining experience. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening here.Special Features:
- Barter satisfies on all levelsKelstxDined on 8/14/2014Great menu, great drinks & great service. Definitely will return to give more items a taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I came to Dallas to visit my girlfriend while she's here for work and online research (Zagat and DFW Magazine) directed me to BARTER. We were able to take advantage of their restaurant week special which was VERY generous to say the least. Between the two of us, we were able to try almost every dish and they were all delicious. Standouts were the Pork Chop and the Tile Fish entrees, as well as the Butter Lettuce Wedge salad. Impeccable service. We are going to try and come back here for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch placedavidwyrick85VIPDined on 8/3/2014This place is always fun, live music energetic crowd, unlimited mimosas and good timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO NOT GOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014a group of 6 of us went to barter for brunch last sunday ... it was AWFUL. the menu creatively describes their meal choices but when the entree arrives, you will be sorely disappointed. my meal was cold and far too chewy ... especially for an EGG dish. they were out of a few app options b/c of a "crazy saturday night" - who knows what that means. save your $$ and spend it next door at del frisco's grill.
- Good food... Service not so muchLesterDined on 8/2/2014We had a group of 9 people. I appreciated the call to confirm our table in advance and they our table was ready when we arrived. Unfortunately, we had a brand new waitress and a big table was a challenge. We all had empty glasses repeatedly and 2 guests received the wrong food while another person's was 10 minutes later than the rest. It then took 20-25 minutes for the wrong food to be replaced with the steaks that were ordered and another friend sent her undercooked chicken fried chicken back! If I am going to pay that much for a meal, the service should be better and the biggest table should have an experienced waitress.
- Fantastic bartender StephenftdeDined on 8/2/2014The bartender Stephen was fantastic and created custom drinks for me and my friend based on our flavor preferences. The drinks were wonderful and he was very entertaining. The food was also delicious.Special Features:
- First time, great night!BelomorVIPDined on 7/29/2014Wonderful selection of drinks, really good food and great, very attentive and friendly, service! Loved their chicken with carrots. burger, and quail wings. Interesting local beers. We will be back, thanks!Special Features:
- Quite a find.DallasFoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014We don't usually like the trendy places because that inevitably means bad food. And the location had us a bit nervous on the parking situation. But we were pleasantly surprised with valet parking, comfortable chairs, a nice menu, good drinks, attentive service, and generally an interesting atmosphere. It's decorated like a deconstructed Restoration Hardware with a mix of chairs at each table. Overall a good find for the right price. We'll keep it on our list of dining possibilities for the future.Special Features:
- Imaginative- yes, but overpricedCentavoDined on 7/28/2014Four of us met for dinner. I liked the eclectic menu and the food was plated well. I got the blackened bass- 5 oz serving served on a rectangular plate accompanied by a very creative, almost 'pretty' little hill of salad. Bass was done satisfactorily. So they're on the right path. Unfortunately. the dish failed on value: $30. Maybe add another side... it was Spartan. My boyfriend got the pork shank-- while tasty, it was too fatty. All in all a B for effort , but otherwise a C --> They haven't found their groove yet to bring me back-- despite the food or its delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2014The brunch menu had several selections that were a bit off the beaten path. Food was served promptly and very warm. The entertainment was provided by a local musician that we have seen several times, Goga Denisov.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piggly wigglyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Ordered pork ribs sauce too sweet green beans good needed more to the menu. Should include a starch without having to order as an extra. All and all ok but will probably not return or recommend
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2014Pretty decent food. Great unique drink selection and cocktails. Somewhat limited menu items though. Similar to Stampede 66, just without the Stephen Pyles flair. Overall a good pick when they don't run out of certain menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great uptown gemRockymountainfinestdinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Very quiet at 2 pm but loved the decor/ambience menu was as interesting as I have seen in awhile. Fish Tostado a must... Grilled green Beans too.Special Features:
- Very disappointedDFWFoodfanVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had high expectations but were very disappointed. The menu sounded promising, but the food didn't deliver. The noise level was loud enough that we had to yell across the table.Special Features:
- Great local spot. Fun atmosphere.LovegrubVIPDined on 7/17/2014Barter was fun experience. The service was very atentative, but not smothering. The live band was awesome. My wife and I felt compelled to sing along in between conversations. Food options were great, pulling from various geographies...Louisiana to Montreal cuisine. But only a few dishes really "brought it home" for me. The quail legs and the pork shank.... Oh and the awesome French press coffee served with our pecan pie. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And it won't break the bank to enjoy a full 3 course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EAdineVIPDined on 7/17/2014The menu wasn't that significant, it had a couple of interesting choices but nothing really stood out. It's a place you might want to try once. The drink menu was impressive.Special Features:
- Great findSusanVIPDined on 7/17/2014We loved this restaurant! The food was great! We had the Hamberger and crab tacos great! Our waiter Doug was fantastic! We was very personable and assertive. He had great recommendations and always checking on us. Our drinks were always refilled. I really like that. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicyhal52VIPDined on 7/17/2014When the waiter tells you it is spicy trust him. I love spicy and so was pleasantly surprised. If you don't like spicy tell your waiter they will guide you to the milder dishes. It was a spectacular fireworks of taste bud busting meal for me.Special Features:
- Silent but deadly!!kmsimeDined on 7/16/2014This place was AMAZING!!! The food was great, the cocktails were delicious and creative; I would highly recommend it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted to love this place...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014It's on McKinney, cool part of town, lots of people out and about....the food just wasn't great and I love Tom Love. Our server was strange to be honest. Just got a weird vibe from him, like he didn't want us to be in his section or we were annoying him by asking questions. My girlfriend and I both left the restaurant wanting...The drinks were fine but for $100 meal we shouldn't be so disappointed.
- Good Food, but a tad bit expensiveArgonautDined on 7/15/2014Had the Poutine, Crispy Black Bass, and Berry Cobbler for dessert. It had an interesting cocktail menu, the basil cooler was refreshing. Everything was very tasty, well prepared, and cleanly presented. The poutine was enough to share. The Crispy Black Bass was nice and light. This was accompanied with a wild green salad which complimented the fish. Was there on a Tuesday night, which appear to be a slow night for the main dining area. The bar was constantly packed with people and seemed to be lively. The main restaurant has a modern rustic look. Service was spot on, helpful and efficient, but not intrusive. The 4 person tables have a tendancy to tip over, but I understand that issue is being remedied. All in all a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sstnmVIPDined on 7/12/2014On the Saturday night we were there, they were out of several entrees on their menu at 8:00 o'clock (which our server didn't tell us until we were ready to order those items). But in his defense, he was very apologetic. Later the manager came by also to apologize. She comped desserts for all three of us and in addition, gave us each a gift card for a future visit. We will definitely give it a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatMesquitePairDined on 7/12/2014We were there early and very surprised to find that they were "sold out" of several items (only a couple of other tables there when we arrived) the most surprising being the deviled egg appetizer. Seemed kind of early in the evening for things to be "sold out" Lamb shoulder had to be sent back as it was undercooked, once fully cooked was good. BBQ Shrimp and biscuit were good. Desserts were good, generous portions. The most attentive person was the one refilling the water, we had to ask for the waiter a couple of times.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014The experience left me underwhelmed. Service was slow. Our server was adequate, just absent most of the evening. The food was good, but I expected more from Tim Love. I would go back, but with lower expectations.
- Great experience! Plan to return!MayfDined on 7/9/2014Brought my girlfriend and parents to Barter for the gf's birthday and everyone had a great time. First off, the bartenders are fantastic! They are true bartenders who know what they're doing and can make some truly awesome drinks! After a few drinks, we went and sat down. The service was great, the environment was fun and laid back, and the food was very good. The menu is pretty interesting. They have quite a range of dishes to choose from. Whether it's poutine with pork, soft-shell crab fajitas, pork shanks, you name it... they'll have something for you. I'll be returning and recommending this place. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.