BARSAVONA at Savona Restaurant
100 Old Gulph Road
Gulph Mills, PA 19428Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
BARSAVONA at Savona Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barsavona.com/
- Phone: (610) 520-1200
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Andrew Masciangelo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy BARSAVONA at home. Our Director of Private Dining is prepared to tailor an event considering every detail. Contact Whitney Dallot at 610 520 1200.
- Private Party Facilities: Plan a casual private dining event at BARSAVONA! Our private dining menus include options from the casual BARSAVONA menu as well as from our formal dining room. Wireless internet connection and all audio/visual equipment are available for multimedia presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Whitney Dallot 6105201200
A word from BARSAVONA at Savona Restaurant
Consistent, creative, high quality dining, and seamlessly orchestrated service has been the hallmark of Savona's success for over 12 years…..it's time to evolve!!!!! Savona is proud to announce, BARSAVONA. A marble bar, sexy outdoor patio and upstairs wine lounge will set the stage for a new spirit of relaxation and conviviality. Executive Chef, Drew Masciangelo will continue to employ his "farm to table" approach with a soulful regional Italian menu inspired by his Abruzesse heritage. The casual menu will feature hand cut pasta, perfectly blistered Pizza Napoletana, natural creamy risotto and "farrotto", and wood grilled meats, fish and poultry. All selections will all be prepared with the same simplicity, consistency and attention to detail Savona has provided for over a decade. So... sit back...relax...swirl a glass of vino from the largest wine cellar in PA and enjoy the new BARSAVONA!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BARSAVONA at Savona Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Main Line ›
BARSAVONA at Savona Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (18)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014very good food great service ambiance was excellent nice bar areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningMjsmdVIPDined on 9/28/2014It was my second time at Bar Savona, and the experience was outstanding. We chose to eat inside, upstairs rather than on the porch, and we were the only people there so no noise, and we could talk without screaming. Our waiter was extremely helpful and attentive. The food came without delay and was delicious. I shared the honeycrisp salad with a guest, and the waiter had it split in the kitchen. Two at our table had the pasta bolognese and loved it. I had the farro of the day, and it was fantastic. We were very full and passed on dessert, but the selections looked great. This is a special restaurant with excellent food, and the price point at Bar Savona is extremely reasonable compared to the very pricey Savona. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came for the Pizza!LeLeGirlDined on 9/21/2014Put an egg on it? Yes, two please!!! The Polpettini Pizze with smoked tomatoes, veal ricotta meatballs, and mozzarella, added two eggs.. served with chili oil and fresh dried oregano, yum! The Salumi slew me!!! Served with local pickled cauliflower, pickles and micro greens, outstanding. Dinner... Buccatini with lobster mushrooms and other assorted fungi, so savory. Baby brick chicken, served with roasted potatoes, and zucchini... moist and delish! Veal Milanese, a HUGE portion by any standards, gorgeous presentation, served with fresh veggies and baby arugula...delightful. The perfect ending to this meal..., butter cake with strawberries, warm, gooey and scrumptious! Try the inventive cocktails. $22/glass champagne, treat yourself! Go Now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningMcdocVIPDined on 9/16/2014We sat outside on the small patio area by the bar. Wonderful food and a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Needed a nice nightLindaVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was a hectic week and I was looking forward to a lovely meal. BarSavona fits the bill for great food, good service and place to relax. Everything was great, the fried artichokes were perfect, my trout was great, the wine was just what I needed. However, the table next to us was INCREDIBLY LOUD and obnoxious. I really didn't care to relive their fathers time in hospice, funeral, sitting shiva, and their family plans to go to either Cabo or LA. I'm sorry their parent passed away, I just didn't want to be a part of it. AND THEY WERE LOUD.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Dined at Barsavona for Hubbys birthday. What an experience!!!! Every part of the service was perfect! The people were great, from the valet guys, to the hosts, to the servers, to the chef... Wonderful!!! I saw other reviewers complain of the pricey menu. It's upscale so the prices reflect just that. You know what you can afford so choose from the menu accordingly:-) (I have to put a lil "sidebar" in for my brothas & sistas.. they treated us perfectly, not bias at all..)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The porchNickDined on 8/18/2014At the last minute, got the last 2-seater on the porch, a high table with stools (which would be better with backs). Staff were slightly formal, friendly, and competent. A martini was perfectly delicious and reasonably priced. We both had salmon over white beans with pancetta and greens, likewise beautifully done and perfectly delicious. The menu is not particularly exotic, but authentic, with the subtleties in the seasonings. If they do everything as well as they did these things, it is well worth the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Item To NoteaasjrVIPDined on 8/16/2014The table sitting up stairs are much too close together. Not only aren't conversations private but access and egress are an issue. Lot of kitchen noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened to this place???JudeDined on 8/14/2014The evening started with the manager telling us that our 5:30 dinner reservation would require us to leave by 7:30!What restaurant tells you how long you can stay?!! Our drink order seemed to disappear with the waiter -- yet two other servers came to the table to ask us for our drink order (?) It still took 15 minutes to get them. We wanted to split a salad, the waiter told us it was too small to split, and suggested an app as well. We chose to split the salad anyway and although it was tasty we couldn't finish it because it was so big! Hmmm ... 2 apps - larger check? My pasta was supposed to have lobster in it but there was none. The taste? Meh. The other pasta looked & tasted like it had been left over. This restaurant has gone downhill.
- Very Main LineFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Even the casual Bar Savona looks quiet upscale and uptight. Interesting cocktails, though pricey. The food is good, not outstanding or worth a special trip. The acoustic is terrible, very noisy. Also tables are too close to each other. Not the best value in Philadelphia area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodEdwardVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a good meal. The service was initially poor but we changed waiters and it was huge upgrade. They could not find our reservation but "found" us a table upstairs. Would have preferred eating in the bar area or outside. I talked it up with my wide a lot but it was just ok.Special Features:
- Bad serviceGolfnutDined on 8/2/2014Over-all, just ok. Been there before. Went more for the convenience for all of us coming from different locations. From beginning service was bad. A lot of people moving around but not enough result. Slow to take our order originally. When the food finally came the "servers" were clueless about who got what and stood there waiting for help. There were five of us and two got the same entree. The kicker was the glass of wine that I asked for twice and never got. I was pleasantly shocked when it didn't show up on the bill. The worst part was they kept delivering drinks to a diner nearby who appeared considerably over served.
- a casual fine-dining alternativeCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 7/31/2014Every time we've set out for BarSavona since its designation as a separate entity, we've ended up at a table in the main restaurant. We decided it was time to eat at the bar, & we're glad we did. We never considered it to be a separate restaurant, but it is. Despite the availability of either menu on either "side" of the house, the experience in the bar is quite different - livelier and more vibrant, with a lighter feel to the room. The bar menu is quite fine, with nice salads (great mozzarella di bufala!), a good choice of pastas & better-than-average pizza. Savona's outstanding wine list always has something new for us, like a Brazilian sparkler from a traditional grape combo (chard / pinot). BarSavona's the child that's got its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceladiegrayVIPDined on 7/31/2014Really lovely eating on the patio. Service and food were excellent and max suggested a super wine.Special Features:
- A nice mealBetsyVIPDined on 7/27/2014The meal/experience was nice. Not outstanding, but....nice. I enjoyed the outside area, and the wine list was nice. Dessert was good.Special Features:
- The following 228 reviews are from the BARSAVONA at Savona Restaurant reviews archive.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014Fun, delicious, the IT spot of the Main Line Love it and will be back , soonSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experienceladiegrayVIPDined on 7/21/2014We usually eat in the dining room but wanted to eat outside which has the bar me u though you can still order from the dining room menu. Service was impeccable. Drinks were excellent and the food as good as in the dining room. We enjoyed the prawns and the pasta dishes especially.Special Features:
- Great summer lunch spotFoodfanVIPDined on 7/18/2014Birthday lunch for a small group of friends was perfectly celebrated at an outside table. Excellent service, friendly staff and good food, albeit not inexpensive. Neighbouring table ordered fried artichokes which looked and smelled delicious. For next time......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageFoodieDined on 7/17/2014Expensive for quality of food. Service was very good.
- JoanDined on 7/1/2014Have been to BarSavona many times, but it was the first time for lunch. Found the menu on the heavy side, and very over-priced. Service was slow, considering the place was almost empty. It was a disappointing experience, and I wouldn't go back for lunch.
- Perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We had a lovely meal outside on their covered deck. The food was perfect, light and delicate. The service was wonderful - there when it needed to but not overwhelming. Happy to return again.Special Features:
- Good food, loud customerScubasamVIPDined on 6/24/2014Had dinner with my wife and daughter on a Tuesday night. Valet parking was good; table was ready as reserved; food served was good. However, the noise level in the second floor dining room was unbearable. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a customer who, apparently in an attempt to impress his two females dining companions, took it upon himself to tell them, and the entire restaurant, what a great boss he was. Although it isn't the fault of the restaurant that a certain customer is loud, it really spoiled what could have been a pleasant evening. At least the two women he was with appeared unimpressed. I would give the restaurant another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieGirlDined on 6/16/2014My husband and I were recently introduced to BarSavona by friends after years of enjoying the more formal dining room. What a great alternative! Fun and casual yet with the same high quality food and service that we had always experienced at the more formal Savona. One of the only places on the Main Line that offers well executed casual food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014The pizza was the best I have ever had in my life! Also, the salmon was perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, recent poor servicesylviusDined on 5/11/2014We have eaten at Savona/Barsavona several times and the food is always very, very good (bordering on great) and service usually quite good. The most recent time the service was really very slow and inattentive despite their not being that crowded. Took a long time to put in a drink order, water glass kept sitting empty, we were done eating a good 10-15 minutes before our plates were cleared. Finally got fed up and just got the check instead of dessert. There's a big difference between a slow, nicely paced dining experience and inattentive service; this was the latter. We may give them another chance at some point, but for the price we were quite disappointed with the experience.
- Not the sameBar01VIPDined on 4/23/2014Always loved everything about Bar Savona, however, the menu was somewhat changed due to a new chef and was very disappointed with the food. The Caesar salad which was always great had no taste. The brick chicken which always was great was tiny and dry.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceAnonymousDined on 4/4/2014We ate here on a Friday evening at 8 pm. The staff was completely rude and completely in the weeds. The wait oft drinks was unacceptable as the bartender was so overwhelmed with the restaurant he paid no attention to the bar guests. We were sent to table that was not set. Once we were seated we waited for awhile again to get a drink refill. The waitress was completely in attentive. The clientele was very rude as well. The words "excuse me" don't seem to exist to the clientele. The food was just ok. I will not go again.Special Features:
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014We were a difficult group. We didn't mean to be. We were interested in the Bar menu, and seated upstairs. While we do understand that it was a weekday and fairly early in the evening, the upstairs was silent and dark. We asked to be moved. The staff quickly accomodated us. We went to a better table downstairs, but the atmosphere was still not what we were hoping for. Our waiter suggested a table outside. We were very pleased. The heatlamps and enclosed deck were perfect. The food was excellent. We are in the area fairly often and will certainly return. We have not had such great food or service outside of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusyTuesdayLoyolaboyDined on 3/11/2014We went for a casual bistro dinner with friends who had not been there on what we thought would be a night to sit and relax. They got very busy. One bartender couldn't keep up to get glasses of wine for dinner. Presumably they wanted to turn our table, as when check came, so did the request for valet claim checks. We had been seated for just under 2 hours. Noise level upstairs was quite high. Food still good. 2 weeks before we had no issues.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dining is STILL fine!bsbpurificosDined on 3/4/2014When booking, there are two choices -- formal or casual. Because we were going to be out in Philadelphia all day, dressed casually, I booked "casual" for our early dinner. EXCELLENT! and FINE! We were seated upstairs in a comfortable and quiet space, next to a wine cellar. Servers in suits were still the dress upstairs, and service was attentive and professional. "Formal" booking, downstairs, looked beautiful! A table by the window would be a choice for us to enjoy alone or with friends. The bar setting was also comfortable and includes high-top tables for dining. Looked like a great place to meet friends after work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every wayEpiceneVIPDined on 2/27/2014From out of town, got lost getting here and were almost half an hour late. The host couldn't have been more gracious, and there was no hint at all of being put out, but they must have been because they were fully booked. The meal was spectacular; one of the few restaurants where I have ordered a Negroni and not had to explain what's in one. We are a family of four and all had outstanding food that everyone enjoyed, and there is an extensive and impressive wine list, including a large selection of wines by the glass, and a reasonable selection of half bottles. One of the best meals we've had on the east coast; worth a trip if you are near the Main Line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I heard greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014My husband and I heard great things about Savona we decided it would be the perfect place for a romantic saturday night dinner. The building is beautiful. The service was outstanding and we were never without drink, bread, etc. However the food was just ok. If it wasn't an expensive I would say it was good. We had the fried artichokes as an appetizer which were good but not great. Needed some type of dipping sauce. I had the fetticine with clams while my hubby had the spaghetti with veal meatballs. My meal lacked flavor and was luke warm. I will say there was a lot of clams in the dish. My husband's meal was very good and is the chefs speciality. Overall the outing was ok. But with the prices was expecting excellent.
- Pleasant setting for lunch--pleasanluvgooditalianVIPDined on 2/12/2014Pleasant setting for lunch--pleasant, somewhat elegant and easy to talk. There is no other place in the Main Line which fits that bill. However the food and service were disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out with friendsAnonymousDined on 1/20/2014I went to Barsavona on a Monday night with two friends for drinks, salads and appetizers/entrees. The food was extremely disappointing. The kale salad I had was terrible, although the beet salad one friend had was acceptable. The special entree with shrimp and mussels was just so-so. This was probably the poorest meal I have had at a restaurant for quite some time, although the service was satisfactory and drinks were good.
- Great Place, Love it There!!JSHLFDined on 1/14/2014Food and service were fabulous! I often forget about this place, but it is a gem! The food is always good, and the atmosphere is great! Savona (the main restaurant downstairs) has a reputation for being very fancy and expensive, but BarSavona (upstairs + outside) is much more relaxed and not quite as expensive, I would compare it to any number of high end restaurants in the area. Overall I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve TraditionLindaVIPDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I have seemed to settled into a New Years Eve tradition of going to a movie and then late dinner at Bar Savona. Each year we order too much to eat so late, but their food is so well prepared and served it is hard not to over indulge on such an occasion. I started with the fried artichoke hearts and my husband with the steamed clams. We each had the veal for our entrees. Our downfall came with ordering dessert. I had the chocolate torte and my husband the apple brown betty. We shared a wonderful bottle of LaRoche 2009. Service was impeccable. The people at the table next to ours were lovely and celebrated with us when the new year arrived. All in all a wonderful tradition we hope to keep in 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an awesome formalRichDined on 12/28/2013This is an awesome formal (Savona) or informal (Bar Savona) place for romantic dinner or as in our case for a birthday celebration in a private space. We enjoyed a number of pizzas, artichokes and salads, followed by a variety of entrees. I personally enjoy the Salmon or the veal chop with haystack fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a lovely experienceDaleVIPDined on 12/24/2013Overall a lovely experience - only problem with service is they kept delivering the wrong dish to the 7 people in our party. Also the lack of handicap access to the 2nd floor where Bar Savona is located is very problematic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious without the payoffCMcMWDined on 12/15/2013Snow never cleared at the entrance was the first annoyance & dangerous. Not enough light to read the menu & dark dark steps down to the ladies room. AND in an empty restaurant--they seat a family with 2 children RIGHT NEXT TO US. Had the farro entre--insipid is the word that comes to mind. Arugula salad was competent but nothing special. Desserts were the bright spot--but I often don't order dessert and a place where that is the best you can say--just sad. Hideously expensive for a crummy experience, dangerous entrance and so-so food.Special Features:
- Solidaj19087Dined on 12/12/2013I reserve "outstanding" ratings for places like Babbo; Savona is not in that league but is still superb. The Dover sole on the dinner menu is as good as any.Special Features: