Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar
630 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://barsacharleston.com/
- Phone: 8435775393x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar
Barsa is a Spanish tapas restaurant on Upper King Street Charleston, South Carolina (Corner of King & Line). Spanish Tapas, Bar, and Lounge serving late night on the weekends! *Vegetarian and vegan friendly using locally-sourced ingredients.*Continued
We are serving same menu whole day - seven days a week!
We are serving same menu whole day - seven days a week!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (14)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (11)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Tapas MenuSJTPatrickDined on 10/18/2014We had a great meal at Barsa Tapas Lounge. We especially loved the warm Olives (never had them served like that before, even when in Spain). And the Shrimp were awesome. Barsa was a great place to meet up with our out of town friends. Everyone enjoyed getting something different & sharing. Service was excellent & our server was quite knowledgable about the wine list. We will definitely be back. Thank you Barsa for a wonderful night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun diningCheeksDined on 10/3/2014Delish paella...tapas were shrimp w/ chile ....spicy , pork stuffed fried empanadas (prefer baked )but these were good and the aioli nicely spiced. Waitress forgot the lamb meatballs but they would have been overkill. Try the chocolate torte...would go back just for that. Well priced bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014Great job and server was very knowledgable about menu and wine list. I will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Headed DownhillNachoMamaVIPDined on 9/21/2014We've been big fans of Barsa for a very long time, but it's slipping quickly. The crowds are gone. The service is pretty awful, and the cooks have started skimping on the Paella which is their signature (and only) entree. Waited over 5 minutes at the door to be seated while the only visible staff was out in the courtyard chatting with friends. On the $30 medium Paella, we got one breast and 3 legs on the last visit. The time before was one breast, a back, a wing, and a leg. In the "good old days" there were at least two breasts and three or four other pieces of chicken which could easily feed a family of four. Not any more. Even after asking this last time for 2 breasts and some legs, we got what we got. Very disappointed.
- Will Go Back!FoodMakesMeHappyDined on 9/20/2014Great experience, will go back, but I think we could have ordered better. The leeks tasted burnt and the paella was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JustaguyDined on 9/20/2014My second visit. All the dishes we tried were excellent. Once during the meal we were interrupted by a loud laugher at a nearby table. No harm done.Special Features:
- One of the best in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014We live in Charleston and have been to Barsa a number of times in the past year. The food is consistently creative and consistently well-prepared. The ingredients are fresh, and the executive chef, Cole, is truly passionate about his craft. And, on top of that, the prices are amazingly good.Special Features:
- Excellent across the board!mleeDined on 9/4/2014We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience. I mentioned that it was my boyfriend's birthday when I made the reservation. I think that every person on the waitstaff came by to wish him a happy birthday! They were very friendly and made a special night night even more special. The food was amazing,we had the vegetarian paella and pan con tomato as an appetizer. Both were fantastic! The live jazz music was a perfect addition, lively talented musicians with the perfect volume for a restaurant. EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy bacheloretteLH86VIPDined on 8/30/2014We chose Barsa because it was one of the only places that could accommodate our size bachelorette party during dinner on Labor Day weekend. I'm so glad we went. Even our pickiest eaters LOVED the food. Everything was delicious and the service was amazing. I highly recommend Barsa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!ElComedorVIPDined on 8/27/2014This place has very great Spanish Tapas with authentic flavors. We ordered a number of different plates, and ended up arguing between us about which dish was the best, as we all had different opinions. I would definitely recommend this place for a couple or a group. We had some nice Chilean wine with dinner too. The staff was very friendly and the service was good, and the chef even came out to say hello. I will definitely hit this place again when Im back in Charleston.Special Features:
- My reviewJustaguyDined on 8/22/2014I would have enjoyed seafood paella more if there had been more seafood in it. It was one of the hottest days of the summer and the air conditioning fell short of keeping the restaurant as cool as I would have liked. We were seated in exactly the location I requested! The small dishes were beautifully presented and delicious.Special Features:
- Good food with excellent serviceMollyConnDined on 8/2/2014We had a nice time sharing small plates. Food was good. Service was excellent! Feel of the place was comfortable - not too loud and not too quiet. Perfect place for groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Food and staff was fantastic! We were running late and had to keep pushing our reservation back, and the staff was very nice about it. Our waitress was helpful on recommendations. Tapas came out quickly and were delicious. Chocolate flourless cake is a necessity.Special Features:
- Amazing tapas!wineoclockDined on 7/3/2014Great food and good atmosphere, when we went there was a really good jazz band!Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar reviews archive.
- Dining with fliesDisappointedlocalDined on 7/1/2014While the cheeses and ham were delicious, everything else we ordered was overcooked (dates and octopus), oversauced (octopus), overspiced (croquettes) or served lukewarm (albondigas). On top of that we were batting flies throughout the entire meal, which really caused me to loose my appetite.
- Loved BarsaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/24/2014I love tapas and Barsa does not dissapoint. We enjoyed the tapas and the paella. Had a group of 9 and all was yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFoodnWineDined on 6/22/2014Most portions were good for sharing. Staff was nice and knowledgable. Food and wine were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding small plates!LisaleeDined on 6/20/2014We tried the dates with manchego cheese wrapped In Serrano ham and were debating for the last piece the paella is worth the was it--the best I have ever eaten. The waitress on the first night was a gem. So good, we went back for lunch. Second waitress not quite as pleasant but all in all, this is a great choice for folks who like to try lots of excellent, tasty tapas. Don't overlook the broccoli or hanger steak--also great choices! Oh, and the spicy shrimp...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocre foodsouthernbelle33Dined on 6/20/2014The beet salad only had 3 small pieces of beets and the lettuce was old; the other tapas were OK at best, the better ones being the broccoli rabe and the stuffed dates. We did not have the paella which we understand gets great reviews. The service was excellent--friendly and knowledgable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014It was my birthday and I couldn't have asked for a better place to have a pre-going-out dinner. The dessert was amazing!!! Will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LatinfairDined on 6/5/2014Great food, fast service, fun music, will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but ...DrDelDined on 5/25/2014Food gets an "A" grade. Tapas are excellent, good paella, good desserts. Service was slow as waitress got too caught up talking to tables; I also think they were under-staffed. The Country Western live music was good but too loud and totally out of sync with the restaurant theme. They should have had Spanish guitar or other more appropriate music for the Spanish theme.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL .... again!MissBelVIPDined on 5/24/2014always have a terrific dinner at Barsa... it's our go to place... This time, we tried the Flank Steak... yummy... be sure to order bread to accompany the delicious marinade.Special Features:
- CDxxxxxDined on 5/24/2014Was our first time at Barsa Tapas. The food and the ambiance were great. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasCarolDined on 5/24/2014After a few visits without my husband, we went together to Barsa and sat on the patio, drank wine and ordered tapas. it was the perfect start to a downtown date night. I've enjoyed the paella in the past but we ordered more lightly this time. The platter with blue cheese was especially good and the empanadas made me want to try to replicate the recipe. I know we'll go there again together soon.Special Features:
- Great tapas restaurantCccovDined on 5/17/2014We really enjoyed the variety of tapas on the menu ! Also, we loved the seafood paella. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience, but not remarkableTheFox3Dined on 5/14/2014We had high hopes for Barsa, decided to try it with friends for a special evening. While the food was good enough & the staff was pleasant, there was an overall apathy that surrounded our experience. The patio area felt like an afterthought, most of the tables and chairs stacked up broken, only allowing a handful to enjoy the beautiful evening. When I asked about the menu items and recommendations, our waitperson mentioned the dates and the meatballs, very much like reading a grocery list. They were attentive and made sure the wine was poured, water topped off and plates were cleared quickly, but there was a noticeable lack of enthusiasm. No one seemed to care whether we dined there or not, and the staff had an overall unkempt appearance.Special Features:
- Terrible service and ambienceSalmonVIPDined on 5/11/2014The waitress was incoherent, slurred speech, delayed verbal and physical responses, and overall seemed disconnected. The area above our table had 3 out of 5 light bulbs burned out, making the area very dark, even for conversation, much less eating. The food was excellent, but I'd never go back.
- A new favoriteBkmarkhamDined on 5/11/2014My daughter and I ate tapas for our Mother's Day lunch. Each plate was better than the last. The cheese stuffed dates were so tasty and the stuffed roasted red peppers were to die for. The local shrimp was perfectly seasoned and cooked. The homemade ice cream was sinfully delicious. We appreciated our wonderful server who took great care of us. It was not cheap but perfect for our celebration.Special Features:
- Great CelebrationNJofCvilleDined on 5/9/2014We were in town for our daughter's college graduation and wanted a spot to have cocktails and appetizers with roomates and parents. This fit the bill perfectly. We had great drinks (at happy hour prices) and appetizers, then we said goodbye to our friends who had dinner reservations elsewhere and came back in to find our GREAT waitress had reduced our table to three and we had a wonderful Paella for three of us. It could not have been more perfect and exactly what we had in mind.Special Features:
- redfredDined on 5/8/2014We were a party of 8 and we all "Loved" it. The food was fabulous, the music was wonderful - great jazz band, and the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- 2nd time and enjoyabledavidpeckmanVIPDined on 5/8/2014Pleasant space and the tapas are varied. Enjoyed; especially the HAPPY HOUR SPECIALS. Will allow leased dogs in patio area - which is GREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/3/2014This was my first time dining at Barsa and I was extremely pleased with the food and the service. You know its a good sign when you cant wait to come back before you have even finished your first meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu, great foodDinnerMavenDined on 5/3/2014I highly recommend Barsa. One of those special dining experiences that are hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014I felt like the food was over salted and just ok. The seafood paella was good but after an hour and 30 minute wait for it, I could have made it myself. The place also looked like it needed a good scrub.
- Best Paella Ever!NachoMamaVIPDined on 4/13/2014Having sampled some of the finest Paella in both Washington, DC and Spain, I've got to say Barsa has them all beat. Run, don't walk, to Barsa. Incredible food. Incredible service. Very reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and EnergeticReneeDined on 4/10/2014I booked a party of 11 for a work event. Unfortunately due to travel complications the party shrunk to a party of 4. No problems! They immediately and graciously accommodated the change of plans. Ambiance is perfect for a group or couple looking for a fun, non pretentious spot in downtown charleston. Though the service is friendly and gracious the food is on par with any of the Charleston hot spots. Lamb meatballs are out of this world, the citrus ribs are a unique twist on a southern classic. The wine list unique and moderately priced. I will be going again soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cozy placeDate4twoDined on 4/6/2014I had been wanting to try Barsa for about a year when I took a girl I had been seeing here for a first date, and it was great. I loved the atmosphere, the food, the wine, and the service. It's a perfect little cozy place. It feels personal,and the wait staff is very personable as well. The food was exceptional, and I loved that I didn't feel rushed at all by the service. The tapas were really good, and so were the cheese and meats. I would highly recommend this place, I was very pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice WorkChefDined on 4/4/2014We were there the night before the bridge run with a table of 11. Nice work handling this large group and making us all feel special. Two large paella's worked out great supported by some yummy small plates. Looking forward to coming back with smaller group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Race dinner with friendstmgbuf8056Dined on 4/4/2014Excellent tapas and paella. Sangria is outstanding too. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.