Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar
630 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://barsacharleston.com/
- Phone: 8435775393x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar
Barsa is a Spanish tapas restaurant on Upper King Street Charleston, South Carolina (Corner of King & Line). Spanish Tapas, Bar, and Lounge serving late night on the weekends! *Vegetarian and vegan friendly using locally-sourced ingredients.*Continued
We are serving same menu whole day - seven days a week!
We are serving same menu whole day - seven days a week!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (21)special occasion (17)vibrant bar scene (15)romantic (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- My reviewJustaguyDined on 8/22/2014I would have enjoyed seafood paella more if there had been more seafood in it. It was one of the hottest days of the summer and the air conditioning fell short of keeping the restaurant as cool as I would have liked. We were seated in exactly the location I requested! The small dishes were beautifully presented and delicious.Special Features:
- Good food with excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014We had a nice time sharing small plates. Food was good. Service was excellent! Feel of the place was comfortable - not too loud and not too quiet. Perfect place for groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Food and staff was fantastic! We were running late and had to keep pushing our reservation back, and the staff was very nice about it. Our waitress was helpful on recommendations. Tapas came out quickly and were delicious. Chocolate flourless cake is a necessity.Special Features:
- Amazing tapas!wineoclockDined on 7/3/2014Great food and good atmosphere, when we went there was a really good jazz band!Special Features:
- Dining with fliesDisappointedlocalDined on 7/1/2014While the cheeses and ham were delicious, everything else we ordered was overcooked (dates and octopus), oversauced (octopus), overspiced (croquettes) or served lukewarm (albondigas). On top of that we were batting flies throughout the entire meal, which really caused me to loose my appetite.
- Loved BarsaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/24/2014I love tapas and Barsa does not dissapoint. We enjoyed the tapas and the paella. Had a group of 9 and all was yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFoodnWineDined on 6/22/2014Most portions were good for sharing. Staff was nice and knowledgable. Food and wine were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding small plates!LisaleeDined on 6/20/2014We tried the dates with manchego cheese wrapped In Serrano ham and were debating for the last piece the paella is worth the was it--the best I have ever eaten. The waitress on the first night was a gem. So good, we went back for lunch. Second waitress not quite as pleasant but all in all, this is a great choice for folks who like to try lots of excellent, tasty tapas. Don't overlook the broccoli or hanger steak--also great choices! Oh, and the spicy shrimp...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocre foodsouthernbelle33Dined on 6/20/2014The beet salad only had 3 small pieces of beets and the lettuce was old; the other tapas were OK at best, the better ones being the broccoli rabe and the stuffed dates. We did not have the paella which we understand gets great reviews. The service was excellent--friendly and knowledgable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014It was my birthday and I couldn't have asked for a better place to have a pre-going-out dinner. The dessert was amazing!!! Will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LatinfairDined on 6/5/2014Great food, fast service, fun music, will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but ...DrDelDined on 5/25/2014Food gets an "A" grade. Tapas are excellent, good paella, good desserts. Service was slow as waitress got too caught up talking to tables; I also think they were under-staffed. The Country Western live music was good but too loud and totally out of sync with the restaurant theme. They should have had Spanish guitar or other more appropriate music for the Spanish theme.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL .... again!MissBelDined on 5/24/2014always have a terrific dinner at Barsa... it's our go to place... This time, we tried the Flank Steak... yummy... be sure to order bread to accompany the delicious marinade.Special Features:
- CDxxxxxDined on 5/24/2014Was our first time at Barsa Tapas. The food and the ambiance were great. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasCarolDined on 5/24/2014After a few visits without my husband, we went together to Barsa and sat on the patio, drank wine and ordered tapas. it was the perfect start to a downtown date night. I've enjoyed the paella in the past but we ordered more lightly this time. The platter with blue cheese was especially good and the empanadas made me want to try to replicate the recipe. I know we'll go there again together soon.Special Features:
- Great tapas restaurantCccovDined on 5/17/2014We really enjoyed the variety of tapas on the menu ! Also, we loved the seafood paella. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience, but not remarkableTheFox3Dined on 5/14/2014We had high hopes for Barsa, decided to try it with friends for a special evening. While the food was good enough & the staff was pleasant, there was an overall apathy that surrounded our experience. The patio area felt like an afterthought, most of the tables and chairs stacked up broken, only allowing a handful to enjoy the beautiful evening. When I asked about the menu items and recommendations, our waitperson mentioned the dates and the meatballs, very much like reading a grocery list. They were attentive and made sure the wine was poured, water topped off and plates were cleared quickly, but there was a noticeable lack of enthusiasm. No one seemed to care whether we dined there or not, and the staff had an overall unkempt appearance.Special Features:
- Terrible service and ambienceSalmonVIPDined on 5/11/2014The waitress was incoherent, slurred speech, delayed verbal and physical responses, and overall seemed disconnected. The area above our table had 3 out of 5 light bulbs burned out, making the area very dark, even for conversation, much less eating. The food was excellent, but I'd never go back.
- A new favoriteBkmarkhamDined on 5/11/2014My daughter and I ate tapas for our Mother's Day lunch. Each plate was better than the last. The cheese stuffed dates were so tasty and the stuffed roasted red peppers were to die for. The local shrimp was perfectly seasoned and cooked. The homemade ice cream was sinfully delicious. We appreciated our wonderful server who took great care of us. It was not cheap but perfect for our celebration.Special Features:
- Great CelebrationNJofCvilleDined on 5/9/2014We were in town for our daughter's college graduation and wanted a spot to have cocktails and appetizers with roomates and parents. This fit the bill perfectly. We had great drinks (at happy hour prices) and appetizers, then we said goodbye to our friends who had dinner reservations elsewhere and came back in to find our GREAT waitress had reduced our table to three and we had a wonderful Paella for three of us. It could not have been more perfect and exactly what we had in mind.Special Features:
- redfredDined on 5/8/2014We were a party of 8 and we all "Loved" it. The food was fabulous, the music was wonderful - great jazz band, and the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- 2nd time and enjoyabledavidpeckmanVIPDined on 5/8/2014Pleasant space and the tapas are varied. Enjoyed; especially the HAPPY HOUR SPECIALS. Will allow leased dogs in patio area - which is GREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Barsa Tapas Lounge & Bar reviews archive.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/3/2014This was my first time dining at Barsa and I was extremely pleased with the food and the service. You know its a good sign when you cant wait to come back before you have even finished your first meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu, great foodDinnerMavenDined on 5/3/2014I highly recommend Barsa. One of those special dining experiences that are hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014I felt like the food was over salted and just ok. The seafood paella was good but after an hour and 30 minute wait for it, I could have made it myself. The place also looked like it needed a good scrub.
- Best Paella Ever!NachoMamaVIPDined on 4/13/2014Having sampled some of the finest Paella in both Washington, DC and Spain, I've got to say Barsa has them all beat. Run, don't walk, to Barsa. Incredible food. Incredible service. Very reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and EnergeticReneeDined on 4/10/2014I booked a party of 11 for a work event. Unfortunately due to travel complications the party shrunk to a party of 4. No problems! They immediately and graciously accommodated the change of plans. Ambiance is perfect for a group or couple looking for a fun, non pretentious spot in downtown charleston. Though the service is friendly and gracious the food is on par with any of the Charleston hot spots. Lamb meatballs are out of this world, the citrus ribs are a unique twist on a southern classic. The wine list unique and moderately priced. I will be going again soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cozy placeDate4twoDined on 4/6/2014I had been wanting to try Barsa for about a year when I took a girl I had been seeing here for a first date, and it was great. I loved the atmosphere, the food, the wine, and the service. It's a perfect little cozy place. It feels personal,and the wait staff is very personable as well. The food was exceptional, and I loved that I didn't feel rushed at all by the service. The tapas were really good, and so were the cheese and meats. I would highly recommend this place, I was very pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice WorkChefDined on 4/4/2014We were there the night before the bridge run with a table of 11. Nice work handling this large group and making us all feel special. Two large paella's worked out great supported by some yummy small plates. Looking forward to coming back with smaller group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Race dinner with friendstmgbuf8056Dined on 4/4/2014Excellent tapas and paella. Sangria is outstanding too. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Awful serviceCHPCDined on 3/29/2014It was my third time at Barsa. As usual, the food was excellent but the service way too slow. 30 minutes to get drinks and 1 hour and 40 minutes to get a paella! It appears that waiters are not assigned to a specific table but sort of take care of whatever comes up as they walk by..strange and very inefficient. Service has been slow all 3 times I was there but this last time was too much. We will not be going back, too bad because the food is excellent.
- Surprisingly delicious!ChrisDined on 3/28/2014We were very impressed with the excellent tapas! The food is cooked to order and came out perfectly! The chefs highlight the fresh ingredients delicately and impressively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really None of the Food was GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/22/2014I love tapas and was really disappointed in our dinner last night at Barsa. No idea why it can be rated so high. The paella tasted like Uncle Bens (I mean it was some of the worse rice I have ever had). The meat and cheese board was good but it's hard to mess that up. The kale salad was bland. And the octopus was terrible. Our server was nice but made several mistakes on our order. It is a fun energetic place. So maybe go for a drink but skip all the good. BummerSpecial Features:
- Felt Like I Was In a European CafeMartinDined on 3/22/2014No need to spend money on airfare - just grab a group of friends and head to Barsa ; all of the tapas was good; I particularly liked the dates and fried fish crispys; waitress was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful assortment ofPeggyDined on 3/14/2014A wonderful assortment of small plates - all delicious. Our server was helpful and did not rush us. We felt comfortable taking our time and ordering a few plates at a time. Altogether it made for a good evening.Special Features:
- Spanish TreatSkullf16Dined on 3/13/2014Been to Barsa twice and have enjoyed the atmosphere and Paella both times! My wife and I split the chicken and chorizo paella. In a word: awesome. We lived in Spain for a three years and this is just like being in the community restaurants we used to visit in Madrid. Barsa makes dinner on Thursdays a great deal with specials on food and drinks and a live band beginning at 7PM. Even if you can't make it on Thursday you should go, you will be happy you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our dinner at BarsaparkerjechsDined on 3/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Barsa Tapas. We had an early Sunday evening reservation which provided a most enjoyable dinner conversation without having to shout to one another. Good food. Service staff was attentive while not being instrusive. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Done, phenomenal eveningChefLeonardo3Dined on 3/8/2014As a chef, a very busy one! Its not often I get to take my lovely wife out to dinner, much less on a date, even less 7 hours away in another state. I am very particular where we go to spend those few hours together at, they are very important to me, and I don't take them lightly. From the minute we walked in, we where made to feel welcome. Hostess was very nice, prompt and welcoming, took us to our table and promptly got our server. Our server was quick, courteous, prompt, attentive and extremely pleasant. noise level was just right, dining room, open and yet seemed private enough to have a romantic dinner. Food was impeccable, extremely well presented, ample and spot on. To the Chef and the entire staff KUDOS! You are all Charleston GemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/2/2014Really nice setting, leather and wood furnishings. Good variety of tapas ...everyone we had were flavorful and well prepared ( snapper, shrimp, empanadas , stuffed peppers, hanger steak, octopus) although portions were pretty small even for tapas. Meat and cheese tray was good and nice portion for the money. Good drink prices (wine and sangria)at happy hour. Fun spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedandyVIPDined on 3/1/2014Small portions even for tapas. Paella was dry. Too pricey for what they offer