188 Bedford Street
Stamford, CT 06901Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barriquestamford.com/
- Phone: 2033579526
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Lou Barresi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Barrique Bistro
CUISINE: Southern East Coastal French, "le Midi." FEATURES: Small plates, Salads, Artisan Sandwiches, House-made Soups, Seafood, Poultry, Meat, Fresh House-made pastas, Charcuterie and Cheeses. WINE BAR: 46 wine labels by the glass, 120 labels by bottle, 12 sparking wine labels. large and small format wine. hand-crafted beer and cocktail list. full bar ATMOSPHERE NOTES: shabby chic, french country, sophisticated & elegant, casualContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barrique Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A real disappointment for the priceJDiningVIPDined on 9/20/2014Would never go back. Food was generally tasteless and the service was barely competent. Also, be aware that the menu on the website is not the menu in the restaurant. In addition, we went on a Saturday night and were absolutely stunned to be told how many dishes and how many different wines were unavailable or out of stock. How is that possible? The prices were high, but the food quality, presentation, and the service, were very low. The staff do not seem to know how a restaurant should be run. Really a huge disappointment.
- Mediocrie at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014At least prices were fair menu looked great but the chefs need better recipes and traiining
- anniezDined on 8/24/2014The name is French sounding but the cuisine is not French. It has a current menu with a twist. You can eat light or have a full meal. I ate a kale salad and a small plate of sliders and was happy with that. Great casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and locationScottVIPDined on 7/31/2014Chose this place for a dinner with family from out of town. Diverse group of people. Everyone found something they loved and we were so pleased with the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedAshotDined on 7/29/2014Food was excellent. Try the Endive Salad - so refreshing great for summer . Eggplant Provençal and Organic Chicken delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolDined on 7/23/2014Best we've had in a long time. Tuna tartar, rissotto, and short ribs were outstanding.Special Features:
- Barrique Bountiful in flavors!Sarita19thDined on 7/18/2014This small restaurant is a true gem in the busy downtown scene of Stamford. Every item we ordered was made with great flavors and great care. The experience is one to be considered a special experience because it is on the pricey side. Knowing this, it is worth every penny!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceloukVIPDined on 7/12/2014Finally got to try this place. Even though had to wait for a bit for the order to be taken and for the bottle of wine delivered to the table, the overall experience was great. The appetizers were well cooked. Although, chicken (entree) was a bit dry. Otherwise, everything was great and will be back again.Special Features:
- Small plate findDiggerDined on 7/2/2014We often eat here when going to the Avon. We keep going back because the food is so good. The service was also accommodating in getting us out in time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in Stamford!NessaleeDined on 6/27/2014The food was delicious and not expensive at all. The decor was upscale, but comfortable. Drinks were yummy too! I decided to try their version of a Caipirinha. The portions were just right. I would definitely recommend it and go back again.Special Features:
- Decent food and locationAnonymousVIPDined on 6/23/2014If you want to eat on Bedford Street, it's nice to be able to do so semi-outdoors in the front room of Barrique. The food was good and we were glad for the delicious muscles. Nothing terribly imaginative, but a good menu.Special Features:
- French small plates in StamfordEricDined on 6/20/2014If you want tapas or small plates in Stamford, there are plenyy of options. Barrique is on bedford street and if you are dinig outdoors (like I did) you will feel like part of the "scene". The food was delicous, we had a charcuterie plate, bistro burgers, escargots, and muscles moutarde. I have to say the muscles were the highlight of the meal evenhough the waiter forgot to put it in so they came out late ( we were compensated with wine). I even asked for the recipe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little FindBirkyDined on 6/17/2014Very nice small quaint restaurant in downtown Stamford. Great outdoor dining so you can people watch. Limited menu but great seafood. Service was wonderful we were very well looked after.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Barrique Bistro reviews archive.
- An off night?SuzCTDined on 5/23/2014We have enjoyed several meals here but last week something was off in the kitchen. Dishes we had eaten before were under seasoned and undercooked. It also seemed much louder than in past visits. Our server was very accommodating and brought us a replacement meal but overall it was a disappointing experience. I hope they can get back on track.
- Not freshOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014Service was great, food not so much. Chef needs to work on menu and fresh ingredients. Server told us they were out of items because they were old. Um, ok.
- Delicious!jmomDined on 5/2/2014A great corner restaurant for people watching and delicious food! My husband and I enjoyed an evening out at your restaurant. East parking right next door and we requested a table outside. We were late for our reservation, but the hostess didn't mind and we sat right outside by the fire lamp. amazing tomato soup and arugula salads! We both had arugula salads and steak frites - there wasn't a piece of food left on our plates. My medium rare was a little overcooked, but the delicious taste made up for it!Special Features:
- Not the old Chez Jean PierrePatienceVIPDined on 5/1/2014I was hoping that Barrique would have maintained some of the charm and character of its predecessor, Chez Jean Pierre. Not even close. After seeing all the other places jammed nearby, Barrique was empty. The ambience is totally off-putting, the service spotty, and the food delivered lukewarm.Needless to say I will not be going back and will advise my friends to avoid it altogether. There are just too many other nicer places han to waste your time and money.
- Very Good French/ItalianBigBlueReviewVIPDined on 4/25/2014The food was very good, and well-priced. My short ribs were great, as was my companion's pappardelle. The endive salad is just the right. Deserts were also excellent. The wine list is adequate and reasonably priced. As other reviewers note, the brick walls make it a bit noisy - but that's really the only knock I have. Also as others have noted, a large portion if the menu is Italian-ish though their website says they are a French ("midi") restaurant. But hey: it all tasted great and the service was friendly and attentive. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went on the wrong nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/26/2014I went to Barrique with 6 other women to celebrate a friend's birthday. Unfortunately there was also a private party in the room off the bar. After the waitress took our order, we never saw her again. We were given a bottle of wine to taste that had been opened probably the day before and was warm. 3 Orders were placed for soup, 2 were cold, one was acceptable. At the end of the meal, they cleared the table and took a glass of wine my friend was still drinking. To make up for it, they poured her a random glass of wine as opposed to replacing the actual one she had been drinking. I have been to this restaurant before and had a completely different experience, hence, "went on the wrong night"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice little surpriseAttentionPleaseVIPDined on 3/8/2014After reading the reviews on other sites I was a little concerned about eating here but was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Jean PierreJPFanDined on 3/7/2014We had been big fans of the prior restaurant in this space, Chez Jean Pierre, for many years because of the food, comfort and welcoming atmosphere, so we decided to give Barrique Bistro a try. The service was spotty, the food was just ok, nothing special and the creme brûlée was served in a tinfoil cup. Hopefully time will help solve some of these issues and the open doors to the outside seating will bring in the crowds. They have a long way to go to come close to what we came to expect from JP's.
- Not so hotCourtneyDined on 3/7/2014Sadly disappointing. Terribly average. There were hardly any diners and the noise level was absurd. Food was bland.
- Consistently pleasant and vice versESquaredDined on 3/6/2014My wife and I first visited Barrique for Valentines Day and we have been back twice since. We both hold our food experiences to high standards and Barrique did not disappoint. The French Onion soup is divine. The Steak Fritte is one of the best I've had (the truffle butter does something spectacular). If you're a fan of grilled octopus, it is not to be missed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a quiet dinnerSuzCTDined on 2/28/2014This place has really improved since they opened last summer. Thank goodness as it is in a key spot in downtown Stamford. We went for restaurant week and enjoyed it so much we returned the following week. The service was attentive and the food delicious. The onion soup which was perfectly seasoned without being salty. We also got the flash fried eggplant which was so tasty . Our entrees were equally as good although the regular price is a little high. But for a quiet place to dine without excessive noise, I am willing to pay a premium. Looking forward to dining al fresco in the summer. Loved the $5 glass of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not an enjoyable experiencefoodloverVIPDined on 2/22/2014Granted, it was Saturday night during restaurant week. We were seated at a high table in the bar area even though we did have reservations. The service was very slow - even for the initial drink order. They literally threw the bread basket onto the table. When our appetizers arrived, the soup came without the spoon. My companion was half way through his salad before I received my spoon! Then before we were finished, the main courses were put onto the table to get cold while we finished! Really? How absurd! The noise level got incredibly loud when two 10-person tables were filled. We did not stay for dessert. We wanted to pay with a credit card, but no one came to collect, so we put cash down and got out.
- Welcomed addition to Bedford StreetStamfordisthenewbrooklynVIPDined on 2/22/2014A nice surprise awaits you once you locate the door on Spring Street! The food, decor and service are all excellent. The menu is filled wth interesting options leaveing you wanting to come back again. Wine list is full of great choices both by the glass and bottle. A hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had hoped for bettertymelyronVIPDined on 2/21/2014Dined here Friday night for restaurant week menu, which looked good online; however, actual menu on arrival was missing many of the dishes online; for appetizers, onion soup and mussels with fries were good, but mac and cheese was bland and ordinary; entree of skirt steak was also bland; pasta and risotto dishes were better; tiramisu for dessert (only choice) was excellent; mistake on bill at end too. Although always hard to judge a restaurant during a restaurant week, nothing here seemed compelling.
- Excellent dinner outfbbtDined on 2/20/2014We've had an excellent experience. Food was beyond and above our expectations. Service was excellent, friendly and right on time. Barrique is the joint, look no further!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time at this restaurant.H2277VIPDined on 2/19/2014My first time at this restaurant. Used to go there when it was Chez Jean Pierre. Still French food but not impressed with service. They have a sitting area that has a lot of space to have hooks for customers to hang their coats in the winter but no such option. We habg our coats behind our chairs and the tables are so close to each other. Wasnt comfortable.Special Features:
- went there last weekend. CanmattmDined on 2/14/2014went there last weekend. Can not say enough about the place. Great good, service, atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotPhilDDined on 2/14/2014The food was great and the service was attentive although it was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisey - ok serviceJanskiVIPDined on 2/14/2014Third time I've eaten here - this time we sat in the bar area and it was relatively quieter although the owner came over to greet us and said it's usually noisier than the dinning area which the last two times we did eat was horrible - couldn't even have a conversation. Tables to close to one another - our waitress was great - the bus staff was horrible asked two different ones can we have more bread and butter and never got it - even though I made eye contact twice to see if that would spark a memory for them. Food good not super great - it's nice enough -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingctcathybVIPDined on 2/2/2014Made reservations based on location and menu. Sadly disappointed by bad service and mediocre food.
- Expensive and under staffedGaryVIPDined on 2/1/2014I was there with three friends on a Saturday night at 9:30. It appeared that there was only one waiter for the diniing room although there were two servers. So service was slow. We all had small plates which were good but wine by the glass was quite expensive.
- Nice remake but service not goodPamPVIPDined on 2/1/2014Recently redone space. The decor is nice and has a funky vibe (although the bar area seems a little disjointed from the dining room). French bistro food with an updated twist. Food was good. Party of 6 we had a variety of items off of the menu. Everything was tasty although did not blow our socks off. The biggest issue was the service which was spotty. Asked for drink refills and had long wait. Appetizers came out in waves so it was uncomfortable for half the table to be served while the rest waited. Main courses were nice. Only 3 dessert items. Very average at best... the chocolate cake was straight off the boat from Costco, teramisu was average and the creme brulee left everyone unsated. Overall ok but I'm not rushing back!Special Features:
- 2nd time aroundJanskiVIPDined on 2/1/2014I love the food - way too noisey for an intimate dinner Group ok since everyone was screaming - would absolutely go back again - outside dinning might be the trick - affordableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The octopus small plate wasMarciaVIPDined on 1/25/2014The octopus small plate was delicious and the crab squid ink capellini special was great. Best of luck to this newly renovated space with great chef and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely love ithelenms178Dined on 1/4/2014We've had lunch & dinner and the food is always excellent and on top of that reasonably priced!Special Features:
- Great Find!BabsDined on 12/30/2013The food was yummy and the service was great. None of the four of us had been there before and we'd all go back. The lunch prix fixe is a great deal -- glass of wine/beer, appi and entree for $20.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French BistroctmomDined on 12/28/2013The menu selection was not what we expected - while some very typical French dishes, there were a lot of pasta dishes as well. Everything we ordered was enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.