Barrio Tacos & Tequila
203 Hamilton Row
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Barrio Tacos & Tequila
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barriomi.com/
- Phone: 2485936060
- Hours of Operation:
Serving Lunch, Dinner & Late Night: Monday-Wednesday: 11:00am-11:00pm, Thursday: 11:00am-12:00am, Friday: 11:00am-2:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm-2:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Ryan Porter
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact Tracy Wilson(248) 593-6060
- Entertainment: Please contact us for more information.
- Special Events: Contact Tracy Wilson (248) 593-6060
A word from Barrio Tacos & Tequila
Barrio brings a distinctively festive approach to casual dining to Birmingham. Completely redesigned dining room with a modern, chic, lively, neighborhood feel. Complete with wood floors, graffiti art by Acamonchi, unique decor and a semi-private dining room. Menu features modern Mexican cuisine with the majority of items priced at $15 or less. Several varieties of guacamole and salsas are made to order. Hip, funky full service bar features over 75 tequilas and mescals served by the glass, carafe or bottle, as well as several signature cocktails prepared using fresh fruits and house-made ingredients. Kids menu available. Serving Lunch, Dinner & Late Night. Bienvenido al Vecindario! (Welcome to the Neighborhood!)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barrio Tacos & Tequila reviews from OpenTable diners
- When I asked the waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/23/2013When I asked the waitress for her non-meat recommendations (in other words fish/seafood/vegetarian), she proceeded to pint out all the options. I knew what they were - I wanted her opinion. She seemed a little suprised.flustered by that request. In the end, I went with something she hadn't mentioned, swordfish tacos - delicious! we also tried the curried sweet potato and pomegranate guacamole (I think that's what it was); also very good. Haven't had a bad meal here yet. Love the margaritas. :-)Special Features:
- Food was great. alcohol drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2013Food was great. alcohol drinks made with generous portions of alcohol. service was excellent. Prices were a bit high but expected for downtown birmingham.
- Great food and especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Great food and especially loved their twist on guacamole!Special Features:
- Fun and wortha try. GreatJimboDined on 2/16/2013Fun and wortha try. Great decor,with the old bikes hanging from the ceiling. Server was attentive.guacamole was more thenenough for two people.don"t think I would go back without a groupon, as I didn't"t find the taco special worth the price.Special Features:
- upscale taco bell. fresh2particularVIPDined on 2/16/2013upscale taco bell. fresh and creative mexican food.Special Features:
- Great and innovative menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Great and innovative menu, shame about the wait staff. Two trips, below average servers both times. Maturity or training?Special Features:
- For Friday- happy hour inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013For Friday- happy hour in Birmingham- this place was dead. More family's than money spending patrons. I sent them an email about my poor experience, it's been 9 days and not a word. Last summer I had a great time eating great food there, but I think the party's over.
- Great food!! It's great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Great food!! It's great food and the perfect portion size. Not too big not too small!Special Features:
- All four of us dining at BarriosOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013All four of us dining at Barrios and Tacos enjoyed our meals. As a vegan I find it very hard to eat out and so the menu was what prompted me to try the restaurant, lots of vegetarian/vegan choices. My husband described it as "gourmet Mexican food" Will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- This is the 2nd time I dineddomer93Dined on 2/7/2013This is the 2nd time I dined at Barrio. The first time was a much better experience and the food tasted much better the 1st time. I do not plan on returning to this restuarant - it was just "ok" at best.
- We went during Bham restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2013We went during Bham restaurant week specifically because they were not participating, thus it was pretty quiet. Food was good and margaritas were excellent.
- I made the reservation dayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/28/2013I made the reservation day of planned dinner for a party of 5. My requested time of 6:30 was not available so I made a reservation for 6 with a note we would be arriving early. When we arrived there was no one else in the entire restaurant, as a matter of fact, we were there until about 8:30 and were the only customers. Obviously Mondays are not a busy night. We had drinks and an app--we asked about happy hour drink and app prices and were told that was only available at the bar :-( Drinks were good, food was tasty, good spice level and interesting menu. Guac was excellent, interesting decor.Special Features:
- The food is tasty and eclectic,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2013The food is tasty and eclectic, but a bit pricey. They do have a well-priced happy hour and I would recommend starting there. Excellent guacamole...made to order. Had some issues with slow service (even though it was not busy and we were sitting at the bar). I would like to try this restaurant, again. Hopefully, the service will improve and, for their sake, they are busier.Special Features:
- Just average. Food was soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013Just average. Food was so so. Service was okay & average. Would not recommend to my friends.Special Features:
- Food has declined!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2013I have been to Barrio several times. I previously wrote a raving review on Yelp. However, this time was different. My friend and I were talked into getting the beef and pork enchilladas and splitting the dish. My husband also got the beef enchilladas. Normally I would have gotten the fish tacos, fried and my husband the brisket tacos. Our dishes were much too spicy, making them difficult to take a bite. The waitress blamed it on "the Mexicans" in the kitchen several times, stating sometimes they make food too spicy. Our receipt says Melissa was our waitress. It was disappointing to see the waitress talking to another worker and both glancing in our direction. Unfortunately it will be a long time if and when we return.
- We dined on a Monday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/14/2013We dined on a Monday night at 6pm and it was quite dead which was surprising because it is so nicely decorated, in a great location, with awesome food and drinks. Weird. I truly hope it begins to build it's customer base because there seems to be no reason why it wouldn't succeed. I ordered both tacos and tequila via chicken tacos and an original margarita. Please forgive me, I am don't write restaurant reviews often, okay...never, so I apologize for not diving into the specifics. Having said that, the food was great, the server was friendly, the drinks were good and it is a really cute restuarant. I hope it does well.Special Features:
- A great alternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/12/2013One of my favorite restaurants when I want "Mexican" food. I put "Mexican" in quotes because the menu and preparation is so much different than all lower-priced Mexican restaurants. This is where you go when you want a higher-quality and tastier meal while still wanting the flavors of Mexican cuisine.
- Food was very good but portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Food was very good but portions were small and it was pricey!Special Features:
- Gourmet Mexican food at reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/18/2012Gourmet Mexican food at reasonable prices. A nice menu selection including 3 kinds of guacamole. The noise level was low onthe early evening weekday.
- The guacamole is very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2012The guacamole is very good, fresh, made to order. The carne asada tacos are great. Their house salsa is served warm, which I'm not totally crazy about, but the salsa itself is good.Special Features:
- Our food was very good, notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/29/2012Our food was very good, not your traditional Mexican but rather elevated to a gourmet level that was unexpected. Presentation was that of a high end restaurant Our server, Samantha was attentive and outstanding in every way. We will be back.
- The fresh guacomole was theseafordinerVIPDined on 11/27/2012The fresh guacomole was the highlight of the meal. The waiter recommended the enchiladas carne and said it was the chef's signature dish. Our table all ordered it and all of us were underwhelmed. The meat was dry and at the end of the meal it felt like you just ate a pile of lead. It was quite heavy and did not sit well. Not sure I would try it again, maybe I would try another dish.
- Food is good - drinks areOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/23/2012Food is good - drinks are overpriced and full of ice so you barely get anything more than a few sips.
- The food was surprisinglyfundineVIPDined on 11/19/2012The food was surprisingly good though portions were pretty small, margaritas delicious. We had a nice quick dinner before going to a movie next door.Special Features:
- This was a disappointing visitopentablefanVIPDined on 11/19/2012This was a disappointing visit to Barrios. The guacamole was subpar. When we told the server she explained that they had a new chef. Huh? How about an apology? Still tacos were good as were margaritas.
- Delicious Margaritas & Great LocalndarkDined on 11/18/2012I met up with friends here before a movie on a Sunday evening. It was quiet at that time but I can imagine the place rages Thursday - Saturday. I loved the giant booth we sat in and I can imagine that helps when the noise level goes up. We had very good service; attentive but not intrusive. The margaritas were delicious; I was really grateful for the "skinny" version on the menu in order to avoid sugar shock. We loved the traditional guacamole and the queso fundido. We all ordered the carne asada tacos and the opinions ranged from "good" to "I wish I had picked something else." I would definitely go back. It's a great place to meet up with friends and share a few drinks and laughs over appetizers and small plates.Special Features:
- The waitress rarely checkedmich260Dined on 11/11/2012The waitress rarely checked on our table to see how we were doing, forgot to respond to requests, when we ordered it drinks - it took 20 minutes to bring them although the restaurant was dead. We arrived at 5:30 pm and didn't even receive our food until 6:45 pm. I will never go back.
- In-town B'ham Barrio!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Great, fun place for dinner and drinks. We prefer the bar, but restaurant side is great too. Fish tacos At Barrio are my favorite in town. Service is always great.Special Features:
- Special guacamole was averageOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/7/2012Special guacamole was average at best, no heat, no real taste. Margaritas were ok, too sweet. My side dish came 5 minutes after I finished my meal. Would not return.
- High end Mexican. Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/6/2012High end Mexican. Wait staff was able to accommodate a group with complex dynamicsSpecial Features:
- The food was horrible. EverythingsuziemDined on 11/3/2012The food was horrible. Everything was pre-made so no changes were allowed. Would never go there again.
- The guacamole was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012The guacamole was very good. The food was very spicy. Salsas OK not great. The did not have frozen margaritas but the regular margarita was good. We had a great waiter was attentive without being overbearing and he just had a nice and pleasant personality and he gave us great service. Entrees good. The tacos were small in size. Had burrito w/ pork which was good.Special Features:
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2012The food was excellent but the drinks could be dangerous if you don't like tequila. Personally I love tequila and I can handle the stronger presence of agave - turns out my boyfriend can't.
- The Mexican Gourmet!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012We enjoyed our entire dining experience. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The service and ambience is excellent, only to be outdone by the fine, homemade, interesting upscale Mexican cuisine. The swordfish tacos and fresh guacamole were outstanding. They also have an extensive selection of tequilas! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Our waiter was really cool, as well as the rest of the staff. I liked that you could get half orders of the guacamole because it allowed us to try two kinds for the price of a large one. I enjoyed my food. The only thing I didn't like is the prices, even though we had a discount. I thought it was a bit too expensive for what it was, but overall we all enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Great Service - Below Average FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2012Even with a large crowd and a large wedding party, the service was great. It's too bad the food doesn't match the service. We shared our dishes, so I'm not basing my comments on just one entre. I'm a fan of the "hipster taco" scence, but this place needs to become more imaginative and get more flavor into the food.Special Features:
- The quac we started with waskellydeleoDined on 10/6/2012The quac we started with was good, but after that we were underwhelmed by the food. I am pregnant and sensitive to spice. I was told the chicken tacos were NOT spicy at all and they had quite a bit of spice, everyone at the table tried them and agreed. I was not a fan of whatever they were marinated in either. The place has a good ambiance and a vibrant bar scene, which I would go back for before the food.Special Features:
- Complete disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2012I really had high expectations for this place - mostly due to the high prices but against my better judgment I tried it anyway. The good? Our waiter was nice, attentive and knowledgeable about the tequila. The salsa was OK - it was creamy which was a bit different. The bad? The food. The portions was tiny, the rice was undercooked as well as the black beans that came with the meal. I ordered the steak tacos - they were dry and the soft corn shell wasn’t tasty at all. My date ordered the chicken enchiladas which were also dry and had no flavor. He took one bite and tossed the rest. Also, none of the dishes had cheese on it - which is unheard of for Mexican. For the amount of money spent it was certainly not worth the drive, time or money.
- Every time we go to BarrioOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2012Every time we go to Barrio we get seated quickly and then I inevitably have to go search down a hostess or manager to find out why we haven't been greeted and we've been there for 10 minutes. No one comes with water and you aren't even sure if your server knows they got sat. I've complained every time. The food, however, is so fresh and delicious that we keep going back. If it wasn't so good, we definitely wouldn't not go again.
- Only Mexican restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Only Mexican restaurant with alcohol in Birmingham.