2706 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.isabelscantina.com/
- Phone: 6195017827x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Isabel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Barrio Star's fresh local food is available for any occasion! Just reach out to us with the details and we'll take if from there.
- Entertainment: Everything from classic rock to the good 'ole 90's! Whatever fits the mood we will play.
A word from Barrio Star
Barrio Star is fresh and creative. We take on traditional mexican food, add our sense of style and create raving fans!Continued
At Barrio Star you'll find generous portions, innovative cocktails and a friendly atmosphere where wholesome ingredients and delicious cocktails are the star.
At Barrio Star you'll find generous portions, innovative cocktails and a friendly atmosphere where wholesome ingredients and delicious cocktails are the star.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Barrio Star - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
Barrio Star reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (51)great for lunch (38)good for groups (36)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (26)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (15)special occasion (8)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Love Barrio Star!MexfoodluvrDined on 9/5/2014I love Barrio Star and have been a guest there for many years now, but I have to say this last time was exceptionally loud, and I could barely hear the person across from me. It was a Friday night and so I shouldn't be surprised, knowing how busy it can get there. The food and service as always was delicious. I highly recommend the tacos. While they appear small when first put in front of you, they are very filling and just seem to hit the spot. It's a healthy Mexican food ( nothing as far as I know is fried) and I always go away with a smile on my face. I knocked off one star because it was so loud, but the food and service were as always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CasperVIPDined on 9/2/2014Went there for a birthday dinner with a group of 5 people. Food was pretty good. Some of us were wowed, others less so with specific dishes. Overall, it was a quality meal. For example, several people, including myself, raved about the cucumber app and the queso fundido. The potato tacos were amazing, but two of use thought our carnitas tacos were way too salty. Margies were great. The restaurant wasn't that busy, which we found odd for a Taco Tuesday, but the service was pretty poor. Our server was nice enough, but he just wasn't attentive at all. I'm hoping he was just having an off night. For example, we waited for 20+ minutes from when we were obviously done with our apps before the server came to take our dinner order.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014We ate brunch here on a holiday Monday. The food was decent and the coffee nice and strong.
- California style Mexican foodonlyfreshwilldoDined on 8/31/2014We loved it all. The location was hip. The décor was interesting. The service was friendly and warm. The wait staff was hot. It was busy without feeling crazy. The coffee was strong and the Food was delicious. We will definitely be back to sample some of the other items on your very interesting menu. I didn't try it, but the Avo-rita sounded fabulous. Looking forward to returning and not being the driver!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, so badLucyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Had a 7:45 reservation. Sat us at a booth in the back room with a party of 20. No other diners, no other tables in this room. The room was stuffy, it was used as a pass thru from kitchen to outside, and the large party was so loud we could not talk ourselves or could have joined their conversation as we could hear every word. Food passable. Large party left, relief, for a few minutes. No other patrons seated nor was the party table cleared. We leave. I realize I left sweater in the booth. Call back within 15 minutes. They say they can't find it. Call back the next morning and they still can't find it but will have manager return my call. BUT she never did! So no sweater! Quite annoying, unprofessional, and will not go back.
- really good tacos on the flyDinerGirlDined on 8/30/2014We love this place for lunch and apparently they finally fixed the A/C so you don't end up sweating into your food......as for dinner, the food is great as usual but the acoustics suck so it's very loud all the time! You practically have to scream to be heard as if you were out dancing in a bar late at night. The service is marginal and randomly good. The bartenders are always very friendly and a sure bet to a drink quick.Special Features:
- Great experience at Barrio Startalulah2Dined on 8/22/2014Service was superb (we had heard it wasn't very good, but that proved false) and the food was excellent especially the carnitas and steak tacos. The guacamole and chips are also amazing. I highly recommend the restaurant! We were there twice in one week after only recently discovering the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I had never been to Barrio Star, but it was recommended by a good friend, who is Mexican, and I trusted her judgement about fine Mexican food! It was great. Service was a little less than attentive for a large group (six), and I had to make efforts to get his attention a few times. The noise level was not excessive, but it's not a place for initimacy in terms of easy communication in a crowded dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrio Star....Bonita!PattDined on 8/16/2014Exceptional old time Mexican cuisine. Service is efficient and delicious. Particularly when patron turns up water glasses shortly after delivery! Sincere apologies and will see you Wednesday😄Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stars Were AlignedLovetoeatDined on 8/16/2014I recently saw an episode of Mystery Diners about Barrio Star. I was meeting my cousin downtown and wanted to take her to lunch for her birthday. This was a good opportunity to try Barrio Star. Three of us had Taco plates - fish, chicken, carnitas. The fourth in our party had a salad. The tacos were delicious! The salad dressing was good, too. For dessert, my cousin was treated to a flourless, chipotle chocolate cake, which was unique in flavor and yummy. The portion sizes were just right. I'm looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and margaritasPDQ619VIPDined on 8/14/2014Such good food it's hard to choose what to have. The friendly staff make it an even better experience.Special Features:
- Mid week respiteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014Service is outstanding! Great food presentation. Delicious & healthy. Food! Ambiance good but can get a little loud. Overall a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodMaryBDined on 8/13/2014I've been her several times and the food has always been delicious, especially the chicken diablo and the steak. The staff was very helpful and efficient when we told them we were going to a play and on a tight time frame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gotttryitDined on 8/9/2014Barrio Star was recommended by a friend and I recently dined there with a large group. We were all wowed by the cuisine. It was amazingly delicious and definitely a new twist on normal Mexican food. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Customer Service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Food is outstanding, but the customer service has always been a nightmare at this place. I really like the food, but the service is so bad, we've had to find a new weekly place to go to. Improve the service and we will go back. Otherwise, not worth it since there are far too many other choices.Special Features:
- Excellent food, atmosphere & moreSanDiegoDined on 8/3/2014Great brunch menu, with both sweet dishes and savory dishes to choose from. Cool decor, nice servers.Special Features:
- Colorful, very fun, tasty MexicanOpentable23VIPDined on 8/2/2014Love this attractive place. Delicious small plates, tacos, bowls, & assorted Barrio themed goodies very close to Balboa Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly bad.legaleaterDined on 8/1/2014It used to offend me when a friend from San Francisco used to say there are few world class restaurants in San Diego because there are few people who know good food. But when I see a poor quality place like this develop a following, I wonder if he was right. I wouldn't go back here if there was a 100k bonus. Food was boring and overcooked. So noisy the only way I would eat here is alone.
- mediocre serviceNrindaniDined on 8/1/2014The food is good but the noise level is TOO loud. That with poor, very slow service are a deterrent from frequenting the restaurant.Special Features:
- Very loudDineNotWineDined on 7/31/2014I quite enjoyed my meal. Very fresh and delicious. Could use some salt which was not on the table. The noise level was very high. I could hardly hear my dinner partner speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but so noisymonmahonDined on 7/30/2014I love the taco's and margaritas here, but the noise level is hard to deal with. There are certain nights where we've walked in and turned around because it's just too loud (and I'm only in my 30's :). Other nights it's just fine so I guess it's hit or miss. Wish they could get some windows or baffling or something going to help. Service is okay. Overall, we still love to come here, because the tacos and margaritas are worth it.Special Features:
- Fun, delicious dinner post ComicConPopcornMammaDined on 7/27/2014Food was delicious. Staff was very accommodating, especially requests on children's orders. Knowledgable about menu, exactly how everything is prepared, level of spicyness, etc. Good variety of vegetarian options, they also were great about vegan changes. The space got quite loud, but has a funky/fun decor, and we didn't mind the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SheilaDined on 7/24/2014Food and service were excellent. Noise level a little loud. Will definitely return, but at a different time of day.
- Great decor and foodCaliforniaCubanDined on 7/19/2014Always fresh food and a unquique menu. The decor is a mix between pastels & Dia de Los MuertosSpecial Features:
- AmbienceTidgeDined on 7/17/2014First let me say that our service was wonderful. Amanda has all the requisites for being a great server. However, when I got there I was terrified by the noise level! Fortunately, we were a party of 8 & they sat us in a (almost) private room. Even there the noise level lapped over a little bit, but was bearable. As we are an older, retired couple, I doubt we would ever go there again.
- dinner with friendsdinnertimeDined on 7/14/2014had a great time at Barrio Star the service was fun and we had great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Waiting and Waiting GameAkddeepdiverVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our party of (4) 7:30 reservations, arrived promptly at 7:30 and were told we would have to wait for our table because the diners occuping the table came late and we would have to wait to they cleared out. Finally seated. Waited for our Server, waited for the order to be taken, waited & waited for our drinks (our appetizers came out before our drinks), waited & waited for our food, all the time our server telling us the bartender and kitchen are backed up. By no means Barrio Star is not a cheap restaurant and the waiting is unexceptable with excuse after excuse. Yes it was nice we were comped 2 items (chips & desert) but was not worth playing the waiting game and not worth a revist.Special Features:
- Taco TuesdayIslandGirlDined on 7/1/2014Best tacos around. We live across the street from a similar dining place in the East Village and for tacos I would prefer to drive to Barrio Star than walk across the street. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErikDined on 6/29/2014Been here 4 or five times, maybe more. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- Favorite Mexican RestaurantMexfoodluvrDined on 6/29/2014As always Barrio Star did not disappoint. This is one of my favorite places to go for healthy Mexican food. My favorite are their tacos which are small but oh so delicious and surprisingly very filling. I also recommend ordering their guacamole and chips as an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Love this restaurant. Great food and atmosphere. Our family comes here often.Special Features:
- Great neigborhood gem!TessaDined on 6/27/2014Barrio Star is tops for comfort food. I love their steak tacos and creative margarita choices!!Special Features:
- Great food, nice environmentieatfoodDined on 6/23/2014This was a great stop for us on our trip to San Diego. The food was really good and the restaurant had a nice ambiance. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Fun dining destinationRobinRDined on 6/18/2014Enjoyed the hip atmosphere and the modern Mexican cuisine. Our server was available when we needed and friendly. Great jalapeño cocktails and good choices for vegetarians. Fresh Mexican food is a delight. We were there early for dinner so it was still quiet enough to enjoy conversation.Special Features:
- Perfect for a business lunchOfficeManagerDined on 6/18/2014We had a group of 9 for a staff meeting and farewell lunch for one of our staff members. Everyone truly liked what they ordered and the ambiance worked well for our meeting. The service was great and everyone there is very friendly and helpful. We've gone before and will again.Special Features:
- Great food!RachelaDined on 6/17/2014Had an awesome time here. Great happy hour deals and amazing food. Only complaint was my order was wrong, but it was still delish!Special Features:
- Delicious Happy Hour!DinerDined on 6/11/2014Very good food, and the roasted jalapeno margarita was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible TacosMarcDined on 6/10/2014The flavors were incredible especially the carnitas and chicken tacosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placearpm1985Dined on 6/10/2014Table was ready, no wait Service was fast and friendly Food was yummy! Will be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BoojumDined on 6/7/2014What a great spot. The food is amazing, but the its the staff that make it special. Took some friends for the first time this past weekend. Molly was our server. She was fantastic, but then, every person who has served us at Barrio Star has been. Molly was super friendly, great recommendations, very attentive, and a great smile. So, for amazing food (the tacos are incredible) and great service, try this place. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.