Barrio - Lowertown
235 E 6th St
Saint Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barrio - Lowertown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barriotequila.com/
- Phone: 6512223250x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday-Wednesday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Andy Boyle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout
- Entertainment: DJ's Friday and Saturday nights
A word from Barrio - Lowertown
Barrio boasts the best chef-driven Latin food and the largest Tequila list that the Twin Cities has to offer. Using locally sourced ingredients, our chefs make every last dish on the menu a memorable one. Whether you want a Maragrita, a taco, or some freshly made Guacamole, Barrio has all your bases covered. After dinner, hit the dance floor and take in an eclectic mix of Latin, reggaeton, and all of today's greatest music spun by our in house DJ's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Barrio - Lowertown - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Barrio - Lowertown reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)scenic view (8)special occasion (6)great for lunch (4)romantic (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good find in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The restaurant is beautiful, the food was good, my margarita was strong but good. I enjoyed myself here and could see myself bringing a group of girlfriends out here for a fun Saturday night or coming here with coworkers for happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting decor, great service!JenInMNDined on 8/30/2014Parking was a challenge. We were late for our reservation but they easily accommodated us. They serve tapas style, don't expect traditional portions. Come here to drink, with gourmet style food as a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not great serviceFoodie4Dined on 8/13/2014As always, Barrio does amazing things with their food! However, the service is still not impressive. Not sure if our server was new or what, but it appeared there was a lot of confusion with the staff on who our server was and who did what. We had to ask 3 times for our order of guac which came out way after our small plates. Then...Barrio, shame on you, a small handful of chips? And charge us for more, which we had to ask another 3 times for so we could finish our guac? At $9 there should be adequate chips provided. Love the food, but be in the right mood for the service as it can be inferiorating.Special Features:
- OK...not Great!JDMPDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed sitting outside where the atmosphere was very comfortable and didn't feeling like you were sitting on a city sidewalk. The Barrio Margarita was the best choice of the evening. Found the service to be very slow as it didn't seem like one waiter had been assigned to the table...different people took orders (drinks, food) and then different people brought them to the table as they were ready...not as a total meal. The pork taco filling was very good although the flour taco shell tasted pasty. Went because it was rated an Editors Choice & Best of the Twin Cities by Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine and felt it didn't live up to the accolades.Special Features:
- Decent venueMp6561VIPDined on 8/9/2014I wouldn't consider this a favorite, but the food is decent. Little skimpy on the salsa, which in my opinion isn't all that great anyway. Location is fine for St. Paul, with a decent amount of outdoor seating. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- the foodmspfoodieDined on 7/22/2014Best chicken enchilada ever. The fresh guacamole was also excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourStpaul8769Dined on 7/11/2014The food and prices for the happy hour were great. The carnitas taco was one of the best tacos I have ever eaten, and the margaritas and guacamole went great with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a summer eveningMjomDined on 7/10/2014A group of six arrived for Happy Hour on a Thursday evening. We were seated at a table inside but had a great view of Mears Park and could hear the music playing. Food was great, happy hour prices were fabulous, service was very attentive. The food delivered as it was prepared which meant it was delivered fresh and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequila Lovers- Indulge!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014This was a great place to imbibe a bit before heading to an evening at the Twin Cities Jazz Festival. Our service was friendly and efficient, food was delicious, and the experience was just great. Food is tapas style, and came to the table as prepared, versus standard dinner style. I really enjoyed that the windows were open to the park on a beautiful evening. It created a fun and vibrant environment.Special Features:
- Bus stopNeighbor114Dined on 6/26/2014The bus stop that brought diesel exhaust along with the great food was not appreciated. Why is it there? Move it!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the Barrio - Lowertown reviews archive.
- Girlie Get-Together HeavenWhiteBearWaldDined on 6/17/2014Spent a super fun night out with the gals. Food and beverage were top notch... Our server could have smiled more, but we were so chatty it might have been annoying to wait on us.Special Features:
- Great find!ckmajhDined on 6/15/2014We hadn't been to the Lowertown Barrio before, but thoroughly enjoyed it and will go back soon. I would say the one negative is that they were considerably understaffed on Father's Day which affected the service a bit. The food was fresh and delicious and the atmosphere was fun. With the big front windows open it almost felt like we were dining outside, and the view of the park is very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & drink; no conversationGnbxxDined on 6/14/2014We dined here after riding the Green Line on opening day. The reservation system worked flawlessly. Our waitress was pleasant and knowledgable and made GREAT recommendations regarding tequila flights and menu selection. Food and drink came quickly but out of order. had to ask twice for the dipping veggies that we ordered withy the guacamole, his soup came out before the appetizer (guacamole and veggies) & well before my ahi tuna taco. That being said, the food was terrific. Nice favors, simple but pleasant presentation. The restaurant was about half full at this time on the Saturday we visited but already difficult to hear each other, even at a small high top table. Can't imagine the decibel level once it's full and with the music going.Special Features:
- Friends night out!Weins1Dined on 6/7/2014To celebrate the beginning of summer we went to Barrio where only some of us had been before. We were all very impressed with the food and for my husband and I who eat out frequently, we are hard to impress. The table side guacamole was amazing and fresh, the arugula and beet salad was one of the best yet. Everyone had a taco and I thought the tuna taco was impressive, perfectly seared fish with great sauce on it. All other items we tried were very flavorful. The vibe was cool and chic and sitting by the window would be the thing to do at this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food and great serviceJulieWIDined on 5/24/2014When we goto the Cities, we always have to hit up Barrios! Their food is always very good and service is great and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and margaritasMNJennDined on 5/23/2014I chose this place to meet a friend and my sister for dinner because I had driven past it a few times and was curious. It was a beautiful, warm night so the restaurant had large doors/windows in the front wide open so even though there wasn't any outdoor seating left we were still able to enjoy the fresh air. I ordered a traditional margarita and it was great-not too sweet, not too sour. I also ordered 2 things (one ahi tuna and one tamal) and loved both. The service was also pretty good- my sister originally ordered a drink without reading the description of it closely enough and ended up hating it (It just wasn't something that she personally liked) and the waitress was more than happy to get her a different drink free of charge.Special Features:
- YumCk57Dined on 5/5/2014Great tacos and delicious margaritas!! Also a huge tequila selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Not Worth It...Wheels260Dined on 4/29/2014Small menu; high prices; small portions; chicken quesadillas - cinnamon?? not a good combo; shrimp on skewer - good but small shrimp and/or portions.
- My favorite place to eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014The food is always fantastic! Service can be shaky, but our waiter during this visit was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Loved it!MardiDined on 4/25/2014The food was great and the service was outstanding. I had never been here and really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place. It was a warm day and the sliding doors were open and we felt as though we were dining outside. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gucamole & VegetablesKat1Dined on 4/12/2014The Homemade guacamole was delicious along with the fresh veggies you can add to it. The food overall was good.Special Features:
- Fun bar to go to with friends.lawstudent88Dined on 4/4/2014The food was a little pricey, but very good. Also large tequila list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If the lunch taco bar doesLornaDined on 4/2/2014If the lunch taco bar does not have what you are looking for, it will be available on the menu. Very nice for an adult birthday group! Fun atmosphere and excellent staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible lunch service SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/22/2014I eat at Barrio about once every month and usually it's great (service, food, drinks). This time the service was just AWFUL. Our chips and salsa came before our drinks (1 Margarita and a soda, and the place was not busy)..we weren't asked what we wanted to order when our drinks finally came out. The food was good, but the service totally ruined it for me.Special Features:
- One of the best!DonnaVIPDined on 3/15/2014This place is the best. Beach dish has a unique flavor, outstanding drinks, super fun environment. We have been here a number of times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- We had an enjoyable eveningproudfatherDined on 3/14/2014We had an enjoyable evening in spite of the noise level in the room. For groups more than 4, hearing one another can be challenging. The food and service were of quality; location is attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why would anyone go here?StingFanDined on 2/23/2014Large group of us went here for a pre-concert dinner. It was a terrible mistake. Cold draft coming from a crack in the window. Waitress nowhere to be seen after we were seated. Orders screwed. Some never got theirs. Tacos the size of potato chips. I would give it zero stars if I could.
- Bi-polarRobertDined on 2/23/2014While the ambience and food at the St. Paul Barrieo at quit good, we had a difficult time getting served in a timely manner. I had a group of 8 there before a concert downtown. We felt like we were inconveniencing our waitress to get drinks and add food to our order. The place wasn't very busy. No excuses.Special Features:
- Lowertown FunDeekVIPDined on 2/19/2014We had a group of nine people and our service was fabulous! I love their huge windows overlooking Mears Park. Food and drink all really, really good. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOOOO GOODdrewDined on 2/14/2014Wow it was our first time at Barrio and it was great!!! We went on valentines day requested a romantic table and got a great private spot in a tequila vault..... Great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Valentines date night!sarabean76Dined on 2/14/2014We were able to score a reservation for Valentine's night! We got to Barrio early and were expecting to wait at the bar, but our table was ready! Our server was very knowledgeable and helpful since this was our first experience at Barrio. The drinks (Mama Cita), appetizers (guacamole & chips) and main dishes (chicken quesadila & mahi mahi tacos) were all exceptional! And the window seat next to Mears park was the frosting on the cake-magical! WE WILL BE BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrio was fabulous! BesidesnancyeDined on 2/8/2014Barrio was fabulous! Besides having the BEST guacamole I've ever eaten (literally, I could eat that every day), the steak taco was also delish. We loved the ambience, and the margarita menu was impressive. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My meal was extremely late.lovetoeatDined on 2/1/2014My meal was extremely late. Everyone else was done so I ate alone but the food was good. Small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The greatest manager we haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2014The greatest manager we have ever ran into!! Noticed that we were having slow service and immediately corrected the problem and bought us an appetizer!! Thanks! Cannot wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!FriendlyNeighborDined on 1/25/2014We made a special announcement to our parents here and the restaurant and staff were very accommodating. As always, the food is really good. I like getting a few different small dishes and sharing with the people around me. The drinks are top-knotch, too!Special Features:
- The Brilliant Barrio Experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014A very vibrant decor hand in hand with the smiling and welcoming staff ultimately added to what was the best experience at any Barrio location. We dined like kings and queens and watched as the management and waitstaff both delivered our food and check on us periodically and make sure our dining experience was tailor-made to our each individual needs. The friends that I brought here for the first time absolutely loved it and have subsequently recommended it to many more people! The food is authentic and great tasting and I can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great for a groupKybyDined on 1/18/2014We had a group of 8 and the tapas/small plate option was perfect. The bill was split with ease and no hassle at the end of the meal- love that kind of efficiency from a server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for dinner, drinks or a party!JayJayDined on 1/18/2014The menu was inventive with a variety of flavor combinations. Tables were a little small for a lot of sharing plates but added to the fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointedNomNomDined on 1/16/2014If you want a great margarita this is the place to go. Also, their tacos are so amazing. Had the skirt steak taco and it was magic in my mouth. The ambiance is nice as well. I am going back as soon as possible.Special Features:
- I love Barrio! I could liveNorgeVIPDined on 1/10/2014I love Barrio! I could live off of their chips and guacamole!Special Features: