1363 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barrioboston.com/
- Phone: 8577534100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:30a (bar open at 4:00pm)
Saturday/Sunday: 10:00am - 12:30a
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Barrio Cantina
The latest endeavor of Chef Michael Schlow. Barrio Cantina is a neighborhood restaurant that caters to locals, but will also serve as a destination for people looking for something really elusive & so desired; a place that serves delicious, approachable Mexican food, with knowledgeable, affable service & a selection of 100% blue agave tequilas that is unmatched.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barrio Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
- 4th Time and its still a charm...DaveDined on 12/12/2013This was our fourth time to Barrio Cantina - and as always it did not disappoint. In fact, it keeps getting better and better as the staff now knows us and treats us like family. Food was fantastic as always and lots of it! Delicious and inventive cocktails. Even some seasonal surprises that were out standing. Thank you to manager Curtis and all of the staff for another great dining/drinking experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviews are correct regardingDynahVIPDined on 11/7/2013Reviews are correct regarding the service. Our appetizers came first, then our drinks with the entrees, and lastly our chips and salsa. That's really poor service. Food was great, drink was good. I'll be back. Will order one thing at a time!Special Features:
- Love the foodfoodie4lifeVIPDined on 11/2/2013Great place for food. Best Mexican in Boston so far. Service needs work, but it's not best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place! Nice spicyAbcdeVIPDined on 11/1/2013What a great place! Nice spicy food, the turkey meatballs and the Nachos are unbeatable. Shrimp Fajitas were a treat as well… every dish has a little spice kick. Well done, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dear Barrio Cantina,BostonDiner23VIPDined on 10/12/2013Why did I come here in the first place? Did I want to wait 45 minutes to get my complimentary chips and salsa? Was I eager to drink your water instead of my requested drink, since the bar can't make one in under 25 minutes? Did I want to eat something you call "chicken tacos"? Did I expect the chicken to be devoid of flavor and the taco require mountains of help in the form of spoonfuls of guac and salsa to become palatable? Did my date want to eat a mediocre "barrio burger"? Did he want the bun to be firm and stale? Or the patty to be hard and overcooked? Was the service supposed to mimic a foreign country and culture where nothing happens and nobody cares? The salsa is good. The rest is not. Stay away.
- Average food, horrible serviceTexMexVIPDined on 10/12/2013Title says it all. Food was ok. Far from great Mexican. Service was horrendous. The people are nice, but service was soooo slow. Took forever to get drinks, food, anything. Won't go there again.
- Ease up on the salt!!!BabboVIPDined on 10/9/2013This was one of the worst meals I've had in Boston. I don't remember ever having food this salty at a restaurant before. Half my plate was inedible. Plus the menu was all over the place. If you want Mexican food, go to Cactus Club down the street...or even Chipotle down the block. Both would be better options! This was my first and most certainly my last visit to Barrio Cantina!
- Everything pretty mediocrePac1Dined on 10/4/2013Fajitas: good quantity but were super oily, no guac, fresh lettuce, cheese,... only rice and black beans. Red sangria: not good at all Overall, similar quality to mall foodcourt but more expensive
- Great all around meal. ToughMikeVIPDined on 9/29/2013Great all around meal. Tough to find good Mexican food in Boston. My gf and I both has the fajitas (portobella and adobo pork, respectively. We were both very pleased. Started off with chips, guacamole, and pico, which was delicious. All around very happy. Nice to see the group behind Tico making another great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome! Can't wait to go back!foodie4lifeVIPDined on 9/27/2013Loved the food here, would def. go back. Salsa is fresh and hot. Portions were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I were veryAvidDinnerVIPDined on 9/22/2013My friend and I were very disappointed with our choices here. We have been to other Michael Schlow's restaurants (Via Matta, Tico, and Happy's) and were very pleased; Via Matta being one of my favorite places in Boston to eat so I had very high hopes. We got the Guacomole and chips as an app, but wish we were told the meal automatically comes with chips so we ended up with 2 bowls of chips for 2 people, and didn't even put a dent in one of them. We split the Crispy Fish Tacos and they were OK. Then we each had the Taco salad and was not pleased. The lettuce was bad, it said it came with avocado, when in reality it came with a HUGE scoop of guac in the middle which caused the lettuce to be super wet.
- Amazing NachosFoodie814Dined on 9/20/2013We had drinks, calamari, nachos, and fajitas and mostly it was good food. The service was good, not sure why the other reviews said otherwise. The fajitas don't come with the usual stuff, like sour cream, guac, salsa, etc... Which we thought was odd. We paid extra. We would go back if we were in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceLusacDined on 9/15/2013Went to grab dinner before a sox game. Food was very good. Husband got fish tacos excellent but small portions. I had enchiladas which were also good maybe a bit to much sauce. A pitcher of cucumber margaritas for the table very tasty but $44.00. All in all a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst hostessBostonVIPDined on 8/10/2013We made a 6:00 reservation for Sat.night - before the JT/Jayzee concert. I called to check parking and was advised that it would be busy and that it might be a good idea to come in early . Asked to change rez to 5:30 . it was booked but they said that if we came in early they would try to seat us Arrived early and one hostess said there was an empty table but the other said no we were too early and it was company policy not to seat early arrivals but would seat us at 6:00. Stood there and waited -empty table of 6 was open. Other tables opened up and at 6:00 a party came in of 4 came in and they were seated! When I asked when we would be they said there were no empty tables except for the same 6 table. Only then were we seated ...late!
- Not Baddjenx6Dined on 8/3/2013Went on a Saturday night, during a Red Sox game and there were plenty of available tables. Food was good put the prices were a little higher than expected, but given the location, it was priced fairly. Service was good, and quick, manager came to ask how everything was. Came on a living social deal, but I would go again,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good. TheKellysDined on 8/2/2013The food was very good. The service was very slow.Special Features:
- Terrible service, delicious foodKoreanderVIPDined on 8/1/2013When the waiter took our drink orders, he only asked the man in our group and then walked away without asking me or our guest. He then mixed up 2 food orders which we had to send back to the kitchen. When my husband (whose order was correct) tried to find someone because he was missing something, he waited at least 5 minutes but we couldn't spot anyone on the waitstaff. He finally got up and asked the hostess to ask our waiter to come over. The good news is that when the food was finally delivered, it was delicious! I can't recommend the restaurant based on that experience, but I would try it again hoping for a better service.
- great choice for pre fenway eventmariaVIPDined on 7/9/2013very good mexican food and excellent and creative cocktails combined with a 5 minute walk to fenway make this an excellent choice for any event there. we got the flyin' hawaiians which were delicious, the beef fajitas and chicken tacos. all solid. would go again. parking next door, while expensive, is very convenient.Special Features:
- Nice night with the girlsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2013Attentive waitstaff and nice atmosphere. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotekelly5Dined on 6/8/2013Went for a dinner at 7 on a Saturday, wasn't too packed, was worried about Fenway crowds as there was a Sox home game but not too bad. Great drinks, food not outrageous, and some good gluten free options (not a separate menu). Very happy with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD TIME!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2013This is the third time I come to el Barrio and it has been consistently an overall great experience. Food has been good - service always nice and with a smile! And the Margaritas are WONDERFUL!!!!Special Features:
- Just an amazing dining experience.DaveDined on 5/23/2013Just an amazing dining experience. My wife and 12 year old son, and I all came in for a meal of a lifetime! The food was fantastic. The highest quality, authentic Mexican food, that I have found this side of the border. And trust me I have searched far and wide. The creativity that Michael Shlow uses to create a menu that is well balanced, delicious and is so well balanced plates is quite remarkable. Great service, delicious food, and a plethora of Tequila choices make this a place we will go back to time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nacho chips no flavor...SalsaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/20/2013Nacho chips no flavor...Salsa no flavor...enchiladas terrible. This is the food that I imagine is served at Chipotle or Quadoba. Not even a little authentic. Very disappointed.
- OkCmp6VIPDined on 4/20/2013Food was good, but not great. Waitress was nice and knew the menu well, but I miss Happys.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but drinksAudubonEatersVIPDined on 4/14/2013Food was very good, but drinks were unpredictably weak or strong, even when reordering the same one. Even with the good food, I'm not sure why they rebranded from the vibe Happy's had going on because there are other Mexican options in the area. One negative aspect which we had to laugh at was that servers and table busers were aggressive with table clearing, to the point of waiting tableside for you to take your last bite or sip, with hand outstretched to take the plate or glass. One actually said to us, "I just want to keep the table clean," even though the table wasn't cluttered. I've never seen anything like it.
- Food is over-priced for whatBostonGurlVIPDined on 4/7/2013Food is over-priced for what it is: mediocre, un- inspired and deep fried tex-mex-ish stuff. But what bothered me more is the identity crisis that this establishment seem to be going through. The decor is a miss- mosh of old Mexican art and movie posters, and the music is '1950 and 1960 US. Weird. But mostly won't be returning because of the food.
- Gret spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013I was very please coming into Barrio the other night. The staff was accomodating, friendly and knowledgable. Music was cool it wasn't your run of the mill chain mexican restaurant songs but upbeat cool rock and roll. Tacos were out of this world and the steak fajitas were huge and served with lots of fresh vegetables. Chips and salsa were never empty and the drinks well...margaritas and beer whats wrong with that! Our server was alwasy there when we needed her and thats all i can ask. Oh and she informed me of parking validation it's only $3 at night when you eat at Barrio that was awesome!Special Features:
- romantic at heartOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013The food, was yummy, my boyfriend had the steak fajitas, and I had the fish tacos. I enjoyed the atmosphere, after 8:30, they turned down the lights for a romantic setting. I had the magarita corona x2. Which is a must have. The wait staff was very friendly. Will go again. Service was face, even thou we were late fir our 7:00 reservation, they still accomodate us. My only complaint was that after bookung with open table, the barrio cantina should of called and make sure. That my reservation, did go thru, even thou I received a confrmation. I would of like to hear from them also.Special Features:
- Not a Happy Choice for DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/9/2013Just bad all the way around. Nice waitperson totally overwhelmed. Food was mediocre at best. Music too loud. Front of house inattentive.
- Noise intolerableBackBayLoyalVIPDined on 3/7/2013Service was outstanding and food very good. But the noise was AWFUL. Way too loud, we had to shout At each other. Servers were very nice about it, but seemed resigned that the music had to be kept "too loud." Too bad, had been hoping for a new grown up Mexican.Special Features:
- The service was bad. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/1/2013The service was bad. We were ignored with empty drinks multiple long periods of time. The server also got an order drastically wrong. Drinks were ok but overpriced and small. Food was a bit dry.
- Perfect Place for Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2013Upon finding that it was National Margarita Day, we decided to go out to celebrate. Looking through a list of Mexican restaurants, we came across Barrio Cantina and decided to give it a try. I'm glad we did! The food was really good, the drinks delicious, the prices correct but above all, the service was outstanding. It was a very busy Friday night (I can only assume we were not the only ones looking forward to celerating Margarita Day). We had made a reservation for 8PM but our table wasn't ready on time. The staff was so nice handling the delay sending appetizers our way and apologizing for the situation that we didn't even mind the extra wait. Our waiter was also friendly and great. Very enjoyable experience! Will definitely go back!Special Features: