Barrel House American Bar
252 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barrel House American Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barrelhousebeverly.com/
- Phone: (978) 998-4627
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Shea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: For information on special events please visit our website at www.barrelhousebeverly.com
A word from Barrel House American Bar
Barrel House American Bar, located in historic Ellis Square, in the heart of downtown Beverly, is a neighborhood bistro specializing in American and French regional cuisine. Our Depression era building features a bustling dining room, with an authentic tin ceiling, reclaimed wood floor, period lighting, and tufted banquette, providing a warm and comfortable space for Sunday brunch or an evening out. Casual diners and larger parties may enjoy our spacious family table and the friendly shared experience it provides. Or if you prefer, cozy up to our beautiful cast pewter bar for a classic cocktail or craft beer. At Barrel House American Bar, we believe in serving an outstanding home-made product in a sustainable and responsible way, while helping the local economy by buying from local producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Barrel House American Bar - Best Restaurants in Beverly ›
Barrel House American Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (15)hot spot (15)special occasion (14)notable wine list (10)late-night find (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- The Best Restaurant Beverly/SalemCriticalFoodieDined on 4/17/2014Going to the Barrel House is an event! Make reservations, because others feel the same way. My sister's filet mignon was outstanding; it came with watercress and mashed potatoes, and a red wine reduction. I had the special -- pork sandwich with pickled chicory and a green salad; it was wonderful. My wife had the mustard-seed-encrusted salmon with pickled vegetables, and she loved it. I regretted not getting the day's special "Nose-to-tail," which was a seared pork liver appetizer; and you can't beat their raw bar for quality, either. I don't drink, but everyone enjoyed the signature cocktails. We manage a local vacation rental, and we will be referring our guests -- we're so lucky to have a place like this within walking distance!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/5/2014There is no need to travel to Boston for amazing food. The South End has nothing on our own Barrel House American Bar. Maliave move over for prime house made cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrel house reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Limited menu. We had the Filet mignon cooked perfect. Roasted brussel sprouts could have been cooked a little more. Whipped potatoes were ok and a little on the cold side. Someone had the salmon and loved it. Burger was given a nod.Special Features:
- Great ladies night outHardyDinerDined on 3/29/2014Our group of five had a lovely dinner before a show at the Larcom Theater. I prompted the ladies to order cocktails as Shaun, the most excellent co-owner and bartender was at the bar that night. We were not disappointed - my "Blood from a Stone" was delicious as were the others. Our appetizers of "Egg and Bacon" was amazing - huge hunk of pork belly perfectly cooked and topped by an egg and frissee, and the cheese plate featured some wonderful choices. The entrees were equally well received, the duck breast special was a big hit. We split a decadent brownie for dessert, which was just the right amount to share.Special Features:
- 2nd visit and still delightedjameroDined on 3/29/2014What can I say but "bravo"? From the high back leather banquets and exposed brick to the cave lighting this place is sexy and cozy. the food is a foodie adventure with an ever changing Charcuterie board offering a surprise every time. The honey almond fondue is another highlight and the poutine. ...mmm the poutine. Add a creamy lush beef tartar topped with quail egg and we had enough good for 4 we couldn't finish. Our server Stephanie (who was our server on both visits( but knowledgeable, friendly, cheerful and attentive. We will definitely be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceFriendsDined on 3/22/2014It was too dark. We could not even read the menus with out using our cell phone light. Food was excellent but portions were small. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great svc + food, but some misstepsMetroWesternerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Overall, we had a terrific experience, but there were a few small missteps that detracted from the experience. First, here's the foulups: (1) We had a reservation for 7 pm, but weren't seated until 7:30. There is no place to wait, so we wedged ourselves into the bar, crowding the people eating at the bar as well as the wait staff serving them. (2) The restaurant's Saturday night special is prime rib, but it was sold out. The waiter told us about their special for the night-boulliabaise. Three of us ordered it, only to find out they were out of that, too. Each of us enjoyed the meals we ended up with, but it looks like management can't really manage the logistics of handling reservations and provisioning the kitchen. Still, great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor managementTangerineDined on 3/14/2014Despite the good food, atmosphere and wait staff the management needed a lot more practice in customer service. Rude, poorly spoken and full of themselves management will keep me from recommending this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Great spot!MamaBresDined on 3/7/2014Upbeat vibe, nice menu selections and daily specials. Our server offered nice suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to walk past.ChazDined on 3/7/2014The Barrel House is easily missed nestled amidst several downtown restaurants, don"t miss it. The service is sublime especially the bartenders who make drinks from scratch using home made ingredients. The creative food is all made in house ( sausages, pates,etc ) The small plates are not small at all and can easily shared, and the main courses are huge and very presented and flavorful.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/28/2014This was our first time at the Barrel House. We loved the warm welcoming atmosphere, brick, wood, leather and sparkling lights outside. The hostess's graciousness & our wonderful waiter were impressive. The honey Brie fondue was terrific, and my coq au vin was terrific. My husband's St. Louis ribs, alas were lukewarm & cold at the the bone. Whilst he never complains, did mention it to our server who was terrific. The manager spoke with us, and our bill reflected a very kind adjustment. It was handled beautifully & professionally. The French press coffee served in silver thermal carafes with a crock of sweet cream was fabulous. We will definitely be back, and the Barrel House moved not only into our TopnTen, but into our hearts as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doggie bag for sure!KirasamiVIPDined on 2/27/2014Pleasant experience every time. Fairly priced. Something for everyone. Food is very, very good - especially perfectly cooked vegetables. If Barrel House can be faulted for anything, it's portions that are too oversized. Some revel in it. I can't say I do. But I always leave happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but good. Great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Pricey but good. Great beer and liquor list. Good martinis. Needs more food options like the burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beverly Hidden GemJennDined on 2/21/2014The restaurant itself has a fun, speakeasy kind of vibe. From the tin tiled roof to the exposed brick bar, the atmosphere is just right for sipping on a whiskey drink and enjoying conversation. The staff is always very attentive and friendly, I can't rave enough about the service. It is always packed, which does speak volumes about the quality, but also leads to a slightly higher noise level. The menu changes pretty regularly, aside from a few staples. I enjoyed the last menu better than this one, but the food was fresh and tasty. More of a comfort food place, though. If you're looking for something light, this isn't it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktails, Great MeatkluffsDined on 2/20/2014The food here is great, but especially the cheeses, and meats...do the charcuterie!!! I have tried many cocktails from their list (this was not my first, nor will it be my last visit!) and I have yet to find one I don't like. The serving staff are helpful at making recommendations. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in Beverly!PeterDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I found BHAB on Yelp and were pleasantly surprised. If you like pork and whiskey, this is the place for you. The drink list is great. We had three of the small plates (cheese plate, charcuterie, fondue), which was plenty for the two of us. We sat at the bar because we arrived very early for our reservation, and our table was not ready yet. Instead of waiting, they held two seats at the bar when people got up and left. Great service all around.
- Blizzard BirthdayAbbyDined on 2/15/2014My boyfriend and I dined at Barrel House for his birthday. The food was delicious...everything from silly pickles to stuffed quail and then a special rice krispie treat for dessert. The server also included a candle as a special addition to our dessert for his birthday. I didn't even have to ask! Some times it's the littlest things that make people smile. We were there this past Saturday at 5:00 when the town was expecting a blizzard. The restaurant was cozy! I am sure it can get packed on evening where the weather is not prohibiting travel. Either way I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerSethDined on 2/14/2014They had some special items on the menu which was nice. I got lobster canneloni and the lady got the coco vain -- delicious!Special Features:
- Food & Service Did Not Disappoint!DanielleVIPDined on 2/14/2014Actually made a same day reservation for Valentine's Day. Comfortably cozy setting that lends itself well to an intimate Valentine's dinner or just a great night out with friends. Fabulous service afforded by warm and knowledgable staff. The filet was prepared perfectly and the port (suggested by our server) I had with dessert was amazing. A single long stem rose was given to all the women that night which I thought was a nice touch--speaks to the caliber of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great whiskey, bourbon, scotchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Great whiskey, bourbon, scotch and beer list. Great food options that where both familiar but had a great uniqueness about them. Will def be backSpecial Features:
- Best food in New England.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Best food in New England. Everything is made with perfectly by chef Shea. Service is great and so is the atmosphere. A must trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank TaylorEmandJoelDined on 2/14/2014Great night and great service thanks to Taylor and the bar staff. Had an incredible meal and amazing drinks. Our favorite spot by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeBrodyDined on 2/14/2014The meal from start to finish was amazing. The waitress Taylor was exceptional and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good. We had a greatMaryDined on 2/6/2014Very good. We had a great time celebrating my niece's birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner.JonWDined on 2/6/2014The food and service at the Barrel House are excellent. Everything was cooked perfectly and our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as alwaysamandaamaeVIPDined on 1/31/2014Brie fondue with bacon lardons! cod fish special, steak frites, and meatloaf all fantastic! the almond cookies on the confectioners dessert plate are delicious I could eat a plate of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Beverly VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2014Scrumptious apps (Almond Honey Brie Fondue and the organic beets salad), delicious entrees (Mustard Seed Encrusted Salmon and Skirt Steak) along with an excellent selection of martinis, wines and an outstanding beer list made for a wonderful first impression. The only thing lacking (in our opinion) was the lean selection of desserts. But no doubt, we'll be back! Tip, make a reservation so you won't be turned off by the crowded bar and long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2014Dinner was outstanding and Aileen, our server was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all-aroundfffffdasfDined on 1/25/2014The drinks were fantastic, the bartenders were very quick and efficient and the presentation was great. We ordered the fondue to start and would be very tempted to get it on a return trip because it was just amazing. My croquey sandwich was very good and went well with the truffle fries while my wife enjoyed her steak and broccoli rabe with fries as well. The service was good overall and my only trouble was that there wasn't much standing room to get a drink at the bar. Other than that, we greatly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Locally Sourced FoodTarinDined on 1/25/2014We went here for my birthday. The food was very good, a lot of it was locally sourced. The menu was inventive and different. We were able to order apps and then put our order in, nice to not be rushed. I thought they could have had a few more red wines by the glass. They had a great beer selection, including a lot of great New England brewers (Yay for Baxter's). The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was not thrilled that even though I made a reservation and we had to wait. I'm pretty pretty patient so it was fine, however, date night is rare, the sitter is on the clock and we are trying to make a movie. Subsequently we missed dessert. The ambiance was a little loud, they could use some sound dampeners on the ceiling.Special Features:
- Worth a drive and then some!LimespringDined on 1/25/2014This place shines...in every detail, in every ingredient chosen for each dish..it's a real local gem - and much like an upscale gastro-pub that you'd find in NYC or San Francisco..but - even better - it's right down the street. The servers are extremely friendly and knowledgable (much like No. 9 Park in Boston) - and - even better - unpretentious - it's just dinner folks, not a job interview. The food is thoughtful and fun, and not small - another great thing. Excellent wine, beer, and spirits list... Highly recommended for a date night, special occasion, or just out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectFancypantsDined on 1/24/2014The food was absolutely delicious and creative and our server was excellent, she knew the menu and was open and interactive; she gave the impression that she loves her job and truly an asset for the restaurant. I also liked the way the tables are set up; everyone is right next to each other. We made a reservation so our table was separate which is also nice. we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot in BeverlyKathyVIPDined on 1/24/2014Terrific cocktails and thoughtful, comfort food define this place. Our table was very late in being ready for us but we entertained ourselves at the bar. Great vibe:)Special Features:
- Friday Night DinnerEllieppDined on 1/24/2014We frequent the Barrel House and love it. The cocktail list and food menu are unbelievable and you have an opportunity to try something you never would have before. The service is great and the bartenders are fun, energetic and knowledgeable. The place is always busy, so if you make a reservation plan on being there for a few hours. Overall its a fantastic place to go and you should try it.Special Features:
- Great placesarahdVIPDined on 1/23/2014My husband and I go to Barrel House often - probably 2-3 a month. We love it - the food is always great, the service is wonderful, and the restaurant itself is beautiful. Last time we visited, I was disappointed that the hostess sat us directly next to a table with 2 small, noisy children at it. We had made reservations and the other side of the restaurant was mostly empty - it didn't make much sense to me, but I didn't want to be asked to move and make the woman with the kids feel uncomfortable. The kids were so noisy (or maybe it was just that they were practically on top of us) that we left without the after dinner drink/dessert that we usually get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MeeshDined on 1/18/2014This place is great! I love the drink menu, very unique. The food menu changes slightly every 6-8 weeks so there's anyways something new to try! Also have pig specials on Sundays. My only complaint is that the truffle fries didn't taste like truffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates, great specialsJeepgrrlVIPDined on 1/17/2014The pace of the meal was un-rushed so that each course could be enjoyed. The cheese plate was locally sourced and excellent. Oysters- all from the Cape, fresh, and fantastic. We got one of our appetizers with fresh shaved black truffles - a real splurge, but something I find seldom offered. I got the shrimp and grits as my final dish - also outstanding. The coffee is roasted by the Atomic Cafe - also local and my favorite. This is the perfect place for cocktails and lots of small plates. Lots of interesting choices and usually several specials too tempting to pass up. The service is always good. Only downside, weekends are always busy, so make sure to make a reservation.Special Features:
- I have never had a bad meal hereFoodiewceliacDined on 1/16/2014I should also say I have never had anything but remarkable service. Waiters are friendly and know their stuff. I have been here half a dozen times, half before being diagnosed with celiac and half after. They are accommodating and friendly to my needs. The food is just the best, especially the specials. Fun drink menu that they will help you navigate. Same for the wine and beer. My new favorite restaurant on the North ShoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrel HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/10/2014Great drinks, great service, nice view and good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To there and back againJanetDined on 1/9/2014Usually difficult to impress but was happy to see home cured meats,fabulous drinks, interesting options. They even went out of their way to help a gluten free member of our party! Going back again. Very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.