Barrel House American Bar
252 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barrel House American Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barrelhousebeverly.com/
- Phone: (978) 998-4627
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Shea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: For information on special events please visit our website at www.barrelhousebeverly.com
A word from Barrel House American Bar
Barrel House American Bar, located in historic Ellis Square, in the heart of downtown Beverly, is a neighborhood bistro specializing in American and French regional cuisine. Our Depression era building features a bustling dining room, with an authentic tin ceiling, reclaimed wood floor, period lighting, and tufted banquette, providing a warm and comfortable space for Sunday brunch or an evening out. Casual diners and larger parties may enjoy our spacious family table and the friendly shared experience it provides. Or if you prefer, cozy up to our beautiful cast pewter bar for a classic cocktail or craft beer. At Barrel House American Bar, we believe in serving an outstanding home-made product in a sustainable and responsible way, while helping the local economy by buying from local producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Barrel House American Bar - Best Restaurants in Beverly ›
Barrel House American Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (15)hot spot (15)special occasion (14)notable wine list (10)late-night find (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- it's been a whileamandaamaeVIPDined on 11/15/2014first visit with the new chef...there are definately some changes with the food...there seemed to be less entrees to choose from..I think my biggest disappointment was the steak frites--the frites were not the same..they tasted more like truffle frites instead of duck fat frites (honestly my favorite part of the dish)...as I am not a fan of truffle I would appreciate a heads up on the menu! also the steak was not cooked medium as I ordered it..and it wasn't as flavorful as the last time..instead it was covered in a flavorless gravy/sauce the drinks were awesome and service from Taylor was spot on! still one of our favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuInfrequentDinerDined on 11/13/2014The entree choices were limited and the only selection I could choose was a burger. I am not a picky eater, however, I like more traditional dishes. I was not interested in the special - chicken pot pie with wild boar.The burger and the fries were great! The drink menu showed a large selection of beers and wines. Our server was attentive, helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!GaryTDined on 11/12/2014Love this restaurant. Ate here in August for my birthday and loved everything. Brought some family back a couple nights ago and again everything was great from the cocktails through dessert. My favorite restaurant in the North ShoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it could be a gem with a new chefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Great location and atmosphere. Good drinks but way overpriced. Food is overpriced and mediocre at best. With such a small menu, I expected that everything would be perfect...unfortunately we will not be back until something changes.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerdinnerat7Dined on 11/8/20144 of the 5 of us had been here before, so we knew it would be a bit noisy. That said, this is one of our favorite places to eat. The eggs and bacon (a must-have whenever we eat here), brie fondue, and poutine were all big hits. Our main dishes were also delicious. The steak and frites and burgers are fabulous; perfectly cooked and delicious. Everyone loves the truffle fries! Great beer list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Outing...ThebeDined on 11/4/2014The Barrel House American Bar was the personal request of the Birthday Honoree. Having never been before we were deeply surprised and pleased at the ambience and homey feel. I was at ease immediately. Service was brilliant and the sprit list extremely impressive! The jazz music playing was just right and totally relaxing. We will be back to be sure!Special Features:
- Way above averageDrinkEatRepeatDined on 11/1/2014There are a variety of good restaurants in Beverly these days, and while we wait for the Wild Horse to rejoin that list, the Barrel House has an outstanding combination of good food, great and very knowledgeable servers, a very good selection of cocktails and the ingredients to make them along with a very good wine list. Not the cheapest place in town for sure but you get what you pay for. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to ForkToferDined on 10/26/2014We went in for a Sunday night dinner and sampled some of the super fresh, Farm to Fork fare. I had roasted spiced pumpkin over root vegetables, red cabbage, and a tomato cream sauce--it was divine. My wife had an equally delicious butternut squash steak, over faro. The food has only gotten better since we started going last spring. What a meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find, with a gripeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Really a breath of fresh air for Beverly dining scene and our server, Ali, was server extraordinaire. Drinks are well thought and creative using exotic ingredients with deft combinations. Food is well procured and, for the most part, prepared with precision and care for a memorable evening. Our swordfish, however, was overcooked - like well done overcooked. For the price and fresh fish quality, not to mention quick grilling time for fish, this was the only poor mark for the evening. Keep up the great business and we'll be back :) Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise!MarfaDined on 10/24/2014We had gone here during their 1st week of opening and, honestly, weren't that impressed. But two nights ago was a different story. Great food, fun (albeit somewhat noisy) atmosphere and terrific service. Two thumbs up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Food and drinks are always great. The blood from a stone is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were in the North Shore for a weekend convention and picked this based on their website. The food and drinks were outstanding. It was my first time in Beverly and was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food MissesAlecBaldtwinDined on 10/11/2014Let's start with the server and runners- just fantastic! Fondue was the star for the food. My steak of the steak frites was incredibly tough and grossly under seasoned. The poached pear salad was nice, but the beet salad was cold as was the soft cheese with it. Soft cheese should be tempered a bit. The special short rib was plentiful, but lacked flavor- it needed some earthy complexity, like mushrooms or rosemary, but otherwise a tender short rib. My friends from Portland, OR had the steak special and were happy, but not wowed. We chose BH because of local friend's food recs, but it did not quite meet the hype for a Saturday night at the beginning of service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outAWJ15Dined on 10/8/2014Always good, decadent food and fun cocktails - and reliable service - you can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Didn't compare to last visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014I'm sad to say that Barrel House was at the top of my list for restaurants in the area until our last visit. Our server was a little too intrusive. He was trying to be friendly and part of the discussion, but he kept coming over and interrupting our conversation which was annoying. The brie fondue was AMAZING and I loved the pork belly that was served with it. I had the ribeye which was just okay. I thought it would be very tender and decadent, but it fell flat. BF had the pork shank and he literally needed my steak knife to cut the pork. It was as-if it was a pork chop on the bone rather than tender fall off the bone meat like he expected. Drinks were fantastic as usual. Disappointed overall, though I will probably give it one more chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth time a bustKirasamiVIPDined on 9/26/2014Success has gone to their heads. Totally disappointing 4th experience here. Nothing was right. Details would only be painful.
- Excellent meal!Esh1Dined on 9/20/2014I had a wonderful time - the food was well-prepared and the selection of beers and cocktails was impressive. I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drink listOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The food and drink list were top notch, highly recommend the steak. We would come back because the food, drink, and decor were excellent but the dark lighting over the tables and loud music take away from the experience that one would anticipate from such an establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food experiencesawsuDined on 9/3/2014I was expecting to be blown away by the food based on the prior reviews. The menu held high hopes and service was great, everyone was friendly and professional. The food however was fine, average, nothing to rave about. Beverage menu is outstanding!
- Awesome service!CheriDined on 8/24/2014While enjoying our wonderful dinner for three, we were surprised when approx 12 friends showed up for a surprise engagement celebration for my daughter & fiancé. The restaurant quickly found accommodations for all and our waitress was extremely helpful with appetizer and dessert choices for the entire party, checking back throughout the evening to make sure all were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We cannot wait to return!HBREVIPDined on 8/16/2014The tuna was so deliciously prepared - tender and cooked to perfection. The short ribs were the best we have ever tasted. The chef icreates each dish as a masterpiece.Special Features:
- Still Tops in BeverlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014Still one of the best bets in Beverly, and they consistently deliver a very good dining experience. Great service. Excellent drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Barrel House American Bar reviews archive.
- Always Enjoy BHABHBREVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is my third visit and I cannot wait to come again! Such interesting choices and preparations. The gazpacho was so different and worth trying!Special Features:
- Just get startersNailTech20Dined on 7/26/2014Having been here a few times, we've come to the conclusion that the starters and drinks are the way to go. The entrees all look great on the menu, but are pretty disappointing when you get them.Special Features:
- Not wowedMartyDined on 7/25/2014Service was great, but the menu was extremely limited and VERY pricey for what you got.
- Great Small Plates!AlexMDined on 7/18/2014We really like this plate for a quick night out. Great menu of old fashioned and contemporary cocktails. Huge selection of Bourbon's, Ryes, and malt whiskies. The small plates/starters are fantastic and they rotate menu items frequently. Lots of locally sourced ingredients which I like. Do not miss the "eggs and bacon".Special Features:
- Different than last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014The last couple of times I've been to Barrel House, the menu was extensive and interesting. This time it seemed like the menu has been compressed and there were only about 7-8 entrees. Not sure I'd hurry back because it's kind of pricey, but the scallops are to die for.Special Features:
- Great food!JeepgrrlVIPDined on 6/27/2014This place can sell out - it always best to make reservations. The staff are all very friendly and professional. I've been here multiple times and it has been consistently good. I got the duck special, perhaps just slightly underdone (but that beats the alternative!) It was served with a puréed beet sauce that was,Rich and sweet - nice complement to the duck. It was all over a bed of local greens- they try to source locally, which is always nice. The coffee is also roasted local - Atomic Cafe, hands down best around. If you can sit at the bar. The bartenders make some interesting and great drinks.Special Features:
- Great atmospherelocalfoodieDined on 6/26/2014This spot has great atmosphere, a limited but varied menu, attentive wait staff and a fun vibe. Good old brick mill type decor. Wish they had a second option for vegetarians but other than that, great food.Special Features:
- 2nd time - can't wait to returnHBREVIPDined on 6/13/2014The halibut was done perfectly and the short ribs were yummy! So delicious! Loved sitting at the high top table.Special Features:
- Great drinks and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/13/2014I had been here many times for drinks after productions at the north Shore Music Theater for the outstanding cocktail menu. The other night I came with 3 co-workers and I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of good. Interesting appetizers and entrees.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/10/2014We loved our dinner--and starters. And service is gracious, professional, friendly. Our kids visiting from California commented it was the best meal they'd had on the North Shore this trip. Bravo! Love the honey brie fondue.Special Features:
- A Place for Drinks (& Food)DridoDined on 6/7/2014This is a Bar with a limited food menu. But, the food is good and the craft beer selection is great. They also have an extensive selection of Bourbons, American whiskeys, and Scotch whiskeys. Our Hanger Stake was barely warm and had to go back, but it was fantastic when heated up. We had three appetizers and the Almond Honey Brie Fondu was the major hit. The service was excellent and the bartenders knowledge of Bourbons made the evening. We will happily go back and can easily recommend the Barrel House American Bar.Special Features:
- slippingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/8/2014non appealing menu. represented a tenerloin as a filet no rush to returnSpecial Features:
- Fun night in BeverlyKeithfromMVDined on 5/1/2014I really enjoyed our groups recent dinner at the Barrel House in Beverly. Excellent food, from Katama oysters and escargot for appetizers to burgers and swordfish for main courses. We were visiting students at Endicott College. Everyone in our group, from ages 19 to 76, enjoyed their dinner. Good beer selection, too. Very conscientious waitress and manager.Special Features:
- Good Eats + Good Drinks = Good TimegastognomeDined on 4/27/2014I went a little out of my way to eat here based on positive reviews. It was a Sunday evening, so I supposed the crowd would be thinner than normal, and it was, so I had an easy time getting a seat at the bar. Service was tight and professional, but it seemed the staff was weary, and on a Sunday night, that's pretty understandable. The menu format was kind of a bear to deal with, but the choices were great and the food was, too. I figured that by this late in the week, the BBQ pork would be good and tender, so I had it on a bun. Eating it as a sandwich was untenable, so I gleefully dug in with knife and fork and loved it. The bartender was happy to taste me on a few different wines before I found "the one", and I appreciated his patience.Special Features:
- fantasic food and drinksDanimalDined on 4/27/2014I come to the barrel house after work for late night menu and cocktails atleast once a week. I brought four of my my friends in for brunch on Sunday. What a treat. Everything was was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good- ticks all the boxesCinnaDined on 4/25/2014We love going to the Barrel House. Whether it's their charcuterie board, their steak frites or the special of the day, we never leave disappointed. Drinks are to die for, service always cheerful and professional. Also fantastic ambiance - as true Europeans we miss our trendy places without TVs all over the place and the Barrel House delivers there as well.Special Features:
- fun!waldobmpVIPDined on 4/23/2014I like the relaxed atmosphere at Barrel House -it feels like a late night spot even at 6pm. Lighting is low. Really have enjoyed their salads -always perfectly dressed. Great rich and meaty selections as well. The 'bacon and eggs' w/great big slab pork belly is wonderful. Also, steak frites. Love the whiskey drinks and wines by the glass are both new and old world. The drink list is short story length.Special Features:
- Great night out with friends!katrina18Dined on 4/19/2014Barrell House was wonderful. Had a 6PM reservation with a few other friends, they were ready for us when we got there. Drink list is extensive, but our waitress was knowledgeable about ALL the drinks. Very knowledgeable about the menu as well. Service was friendly, efficient. Food was so tasty. I'd go back in a heartbeat and would recommend to others.Special Features: