Barrel House American Bar
252 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barrel House American Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barrelhousebeverly.com/
- Phone: 9789984627x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Shea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: For information on special events please visit our website at www.barrelhousebeverly.com
A word from Barrel House American Bar
Barrel House American Bar, located in historic Ellis Square, in the heart of downtown Beverly, is a neighborhood bistro specializing in American and French regional cuisine. Our Depression era building features a bustling dining room, with an authentic tin ceiling, reclaimed wood floor, period lighting, and tufted banquette, providing a warm and comfortable space for Sunday brunch or an evening out. Casual diners and larger parties may enjoy our spacious family table and the friendly shared experience it provides. Or if you prefer, cozy up to our beautiful cast pewter bar for a classic cocktail or craft beer. At Barrel House American Bar, we believe in serving an outstanding home-made product in a sustainable and responsible way, while helping the local economy by buying from local producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Barrel House American Bar - Best Restaurants in Beverly ›
Barrel House American Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (13)notable wine list (12)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)romantic (8)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food and drink listOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The food and drink list were top notch, highly recommend the steak. We would come back because the food, drink, and decor were excellent but the dark lighting over the tables and loud music take away from the experience that one would anticipate from such an establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food experiencesawsuDined on 9/3/2014I was expecting to be blown away by the food based on the prior reviews. The menu held high hopes and service was great, everyone was friendly and professional. The food however was fine, average, nothing to rave about. Beverage menu is outstanding!
- Awesome service!CheriDined on 8/24/2014While enjoying our wonderful dinner for three, we were surprised when approx 12 friends showed up for a surprise engagement celebration for my daughter & fiancé. The restaurant quickly found accommodations for all and our waitress was extremely helpful with appetizer and dessert choices for the entire party, checking back throughout the evening to make sure all were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We cannot wait to return!HBREVIPDined on 8/16/2014The tuna was so deliciously prepared - tender and cooked to perfection. The short ribs were the best we have ever tasted. The chef icreates each dish as a masterpiece.Special Features:
- Still Tops in BeverlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014Still one of the best bets in Beverly, and they consistently deliver a very good dining experience. Great service. Excellent drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoy BHABHBREVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is my third visit and I cannot wait to come again! Such interesting choices and preparations. The gazpacho was so different and worth trying!Special Features:
- Just get startersNailTech20Dined on 7/26/2014Having been here a few times, we've come to the conclusion that the starters and drinks are the way to go. The entrees all look great on the menu, but are pretty disappointing when you get them.Special Features:
- Not wowedMartyDined on 7/25/2014Service was great, but the menu was extremely limited and VERY pricey for what you got.
- Great Small Plates!AlexMDined on 7/18/2014We really like this plate for a quick night out. Great menu of old fashioned and contemporary cocktails. Huge selection of Bourbon's, Ryes, and malt whiskies. The small plates/starters are fantastic and they rotate menu items frequently. Lots of locally sourced ingredients which I like. Do not miss the "eggs and bacon".Special Features:
- Different than last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014The last couple of times I've been to Barrel House, the menu was extensive and interesting. This time it seemed like the menu has been compressed and there were only about 7-8 entrees. Not sure I'd hurry back because it's kind of pricey, but the scallops are to die for.Special Features:
- Great food!JeepgrrlDined on 6/27/2014This place can sell out - it always best to make reservations. The staff are all very friendly and professional. I've been here multiple times and it has been consistently good. I got the duck special, perhaps just slightly underdone (but that beats the alternative!) It was served with a puréed beet sauce that was,Rich and sweet - nice complement to the duck. It was all over a bed of local greens- they try to source locally, which is always nice. The coffee is also roasted local - Atomic Cafe, hands down best around. If you can sit at the bar. The bartenders make some interesting and great drinks.Special Features:
- Great atmospherelocalfoodieDined on 6/26/2014This spot has great atmosphere, a limited but varied menu, attentive wait staff and a fun vibe. Good old brick mill type decor. Wish they had a second option for vegetarians but other than that, great food.Special Features:
- 2nd time - can't wait to returnHBREVIPDined on 6/13/2014The halibut was done perfectly and the short ribs were yummy! So delicious! Loved sitting at the high top table.Special Features:
- Great drinks and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/13/2014I had been here many times for drinks after productions at the north Shore Music Theater for the outstanding cocktail menu. The other night I came with 3 co-workers and I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of good. Interesting appetizers and entrees.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/10/2014We loved our dinner--and starters. And service is gracious, professional, friendly. Our kids visiting from California commented it was the best meal they'd had on the North Shore this trip. Bravo! Love the honey brie fondue.Special Features:
- A Place for Drinks (& Food)DridoDined on 6/7/2014This is a Bar with a limited food menu. But, the food is good and the craft beer selection is great. They also have an extensive selection of Bourbons, American whiskeys, and Scotch whiskeys. Our Hanger Stake was barely warm and had to go back, but it was fantastic when heated up. We had three appetizers and the Almond Honey Brie Fondu was the major hit. The service was excellent and the bartenders knowledge of Bourbons made the evening. We will happily go back and can easily recommend the Barrel House American Bar.Special Features:
- The following 125 reviews are from the Barrel House American Bar reviews archive.
- slippingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/8/2014non appealing menu. represented a tenerloin as a filet no rush to returnSpecial Features:
- Fun night in BeverlyKeithfromMVDined on 5/1/2014I really enjoyed our groups recent dinner at the Barrel House in Beverly. Excellent food, from Katama oysters and escargot for appetizers to burgers and swordfish for main courses. We were visiting students at Endicott College. Everyone in our group, from ages 19 to 76, enjoyed their dinner. Good beer selection, too. Very conscientious waitress and manager.Special Features:
- Good Eats + Good Drinks = Good TimegastognomeDined on 4/27/2014I went a little out of my way to eat here based on positive reviews. It was a Sunday evening, so I supposed the crowd would be thinner than normal, and it was, so I had an easy time getting a seat at the bar. Service was tight and professional, but it seemed the staff was weary, and on a Sunday night, that's pretty understandable. The menu format was kind of a bear to deal with, but the choices were great and the food was, too. I figured that by this late in the week, the BBQ pork would be good and tender, so I had it on a bun. Eating it as a sandwich was untenable, so I gleefully dug in with knife and fork and loved it. The bartender was happy to taste me on a few different wines before I found "the one", and I appreciated his patience.Special Features:
- fantasic food and drinksDanimalDined on 4/27/2014I come to the barrel house after work for late night menu and cocktails atleast once a week. I brought four of my my friends in for brunch on Sunday. What a treat. Everything was was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good- ticks all the boxesCinnaDined on 4/25/2014We love going to the Barrel House. Whether it's their charcuterie board, their steak frites or the special of the day, we never leave disappointed. Drinks are to die for, service always cheerful and professional. Also fantastic ambiance - as true Europeans we miss our trendy places without TVs all over the place and the Barrel House delivers there as well.Special Features:
- fun!waldobmpVIPDined on 4/23/2014I like the relaxed atmosphere at Barrel House -it feels like a late night spot even at 6pm. Lighting is low. Really have enjoyed their salads -always perfectly dressed. Great rich and meaty selections as well. The 'bacon and eggs' w/great big slab pork belly is wonderful. Also, steak frites. Love the whiskey drinks and wines by the glass are both new and old world. The drink list is short story length.Special Features:
- Great night out with friends!katrina18Dined on 4/19/2014Barrell House was wonderful. Had a 6PM reservation with a few other friends, they were ready for us when we got there. Drink list is extensive, but our waitress was knowledgeable about ALL the drinks. Very knowledgeable about the menu as well. Service was friendly, efficient. Food was so tasty. I'd go back in a heartbeat and would recommend to others.Special Features:
- The Best Restaurant Beverly/SalemCriticalFoodieDined on 4/17/2014Going to the Barrel House is an event! Make reservations, because others feel the same way. My sister's filet mignon was outstanding; it came with watercress and mashed potatoes, and a red wine reduction. I had the special -- pork sandwich with pickled chicory and a green salad; it was wonderful. My wife had the mustard-seed-encrusted salmon with pickled vegetables, and she loved it. I regretted not getting the day's special "Nose-to-tail," which was a seared pork liver appetizer; and you can't beat their raw bar for quality, either. I don't drink, but everyone enjoyed the signature cocktails. We manage a local vacation rental, and we will be referring our guests -- we're so lucky to have a place like this within walking distance!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/5/2014There is no need to travel to Boston for amazing food. The South End has nothing on our own Barrel House American Bar. Maliave move over for prime house made cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrel house reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Limited menu. We had the Filet mignon cooked perfect. Roasted brussel sprouts could have been cooked a little more. Whipped potatoes were ok and a little on the cold side. Someone had the salmon and loved it. Burger was given a nod.Special Features:
- Great ladies night outHardyDinerDined on 3/29/2014Our group of five had a lovely dinner before a show at the Larcom Theater. I prompted the ladies to order cocktails as Shaun, the most excellent co-owner and bartender was at the bar that night. We were not disappointed - my "Blood from a Stone" was delicious as were the others. Our appetizers of "Egg and Bacon" was amazing - huge hunk of pork belly perfectly cooked and topped by an egg and frissee, and the cheese plate featured some wonderful choices. The entrees were equally well received, the duck breast special was a big hit. We split a decadent brownie for dessert, which was just the right amount to share.Special Features:
- 2nd visit and still delightedjameroDined on 3/29/2014What can I say but "bravo"? From the high back leather banquets and exposed brick to the cave lighting this place is sexy and cozy. the food is a foodie adventure with an ever changing Charcuterie board offering a surprise every time. The honey almond fondue is another highlight and the poutine. ...mmm the poutine. Add a creamy lush beef tartar topped with quail egg and we had enough good for 4 we couldn't finish. Our server Stephanie (who was our server on both visits( but knowledgeable, friendly, cheerful and attentive. We will definitely be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceFriendsDined on 3/22/2014It was too dark. We could not even read the menus with out using our cell phone light. Food was excellent but portions were small. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great svc + food, but some misstepsMetroWesternerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Overall, we had a terrific experience, but there were a few small missteps that detracted from the experience. First, here's the foulups: (1) We had a reservation for 7 pm, but weren't seated until 7:30. There is no place to wait, so we wedged ourselves into the bar, crowding the people eating at the bar as well as the wait staff serving them. (2) The restaurant's Saturday night special is prime rib, but it was sold out. The waiter told us about their special for the night-boulliabaise. Three of us ordered it, only to find out they were out of that, too. Each of us enjoyed the meals we ended up with, but it looks like management can't really manage the logistics of handling reservations and provisioning the kitchen. Still, great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor managementTangerineDined on 3/14/2014Despite the good food, atmosphere and wait staff the management needed a lot more practice in customer service. Rude, poorly spoken and full of themselves management will keep me from recommending this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Great spot!MamaBresDined on 3/7/2014Upbeat vibe, nice menu selections and daily specials. Our server offered nice suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to walk past.ChazDined on 3/7/2014The Barrel House is easily missed nestled amidst several downtown restaurants, don"t miss it. The service is sublime especially the bartenders who make drinks from scratch using home made ingredients. The creative food is all made in house ( sausages, pates,etc ) The small plates are not small at all and can easily shared, and the main courses are huge and very presented and flavorful.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/28/2014This was our first time at the Barrel House. We loved the warm welcoming atmosphere, brick, wood, leather and sparkling lights outside. The hostess's graciousness & our wonderful waiter were impressive. The honey Brie fondue was terrific, and my coq au vin was terrific. My husband's St. Louis ribs, alas were lukewarm & cold at the the bone. Whilst he never complains, did mention it to our server who was terrific. The manager spoke with us, and our bill reflected a very kind adjustment. It was handled beautifully & professionally. The French press coffee served in silver thermal carafes with a crock of sweet cream was fabulous. We will definitely be back, and the Barrel House moved not only into our TopnTen, but into our hearts as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doggie bag for sure!KirasamiVIPDined on 2/27/2014Pleasant experience every time. Fairly priced. Something for everyone. Food is very, very good - especially perfectly cooked vegetables. If Barrel House can be faulted for anything, it's portions that are too oversized. Some revel in it. I can't say I do. But I always leave happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but good. Great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Pricey but good. Great beer and liquor list. Good martinis. Needs more food options like the burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beverly Hidden GemJennDined on 2/21/2014The restaurant itself has a fun, speakeasy kind of vibe. From the tin tiled roof to the exposed brick bar, the atmosphere is just right for sipping on a whiskey drink and enjoying conversation. The staff is always very attentive and friendly, I can't rave enough about the service. It is always packed, which does speak volumes about the quality, but also leads to a slightly higher noise level. The menu changes pretty regularly, aside from a few staples. I enjoyed the last menu better than this one, but the food was fresh and tasty. More of a comfort food place, though. If you're looking for something light, this isn't it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktails, Great MeatkluffsDined on 2/20/2014The food here is great, but especially the cheeses, and meats...do the charcuterie!!! I have tried many cocktails from their list (this was not my first, nor will it be my last visit!) and I have yet to find one I don't like. The serving staff are helpful at making recommendations. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in Beverly!PeterDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I found BHAB on Yelp and were pleasantly surprised. If you like pork and whiskey, this is the place for you. The drink list is great. We had three of the small plates (cheese plate, charcuterie, fondue), which was plenty for the two of us. We sat at the bar because we arrived very early for our reservation, and our table was not ready yet. Instead of waiting, they held two seats at the bar when people got up and left. Great service all around.
- Blizzard BirthdayAbbyDined on 2/15/2014My boyfriend and I dined at Barrel House for his birthday. The food was delicious...everything from silly pickles to stuffed quail and then a special rice krispie treat for dessert. The server also included a candle as a special addition to our dessert for his birthday. I didn't even have to ask! Some times it's the littlest things that make people smile. We were there this past Saturday at 5:00 when the town was expecting a blizzard. The restaurant was cozy! I am sure it can get packed on evening where the weather is not prohibiting travel. Either way I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.