Barrel 44 - Short North
1120 N. High St.
Columbus, OH 43215Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barrel 44 - Short North
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barrel44.com/
- Phone: (614) 294-2277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Barrel 44 - Short North
With locations in both historic Bexley & The Short North Barrel 44 Whiskey Bar & Restaurant brings you and your friends into an atmosphere of fun, relaxation and amazing food, not to mention over 200 different whiskies, craft beer and a full bar. Stop by for our legendary happy hour, lunch, dinner or for a whiskey tasting. Check out our brunch on Sun in Bexley EVENT SPACE AVAILABLE 1120 N High St. 2232 E. Main St. BexleyContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barrel 44 - Short North reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (1)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Quaint Neigborhood FindOutofTownerDined on 10/17/2014As a person who enjoys their whiskey bourbon, I found Barrel 44 are very quaint neighborhood find with a good selection of top shelf whiskey, bourbons and scotches. Good food, friendly staff, and nice environment.Special Features:
- Great drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/17/2014Great drinks, food was ok, some good, ,some bad. Service was awfu and SLOW
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was Hot and we waited over 10 minutes before being approached by a server. Service was poor at best with drinks comimg out incorrect after a long wait. Dinner followed a similar pattern. Would not recommend.
- Good place to go with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We went for dinner with friends and this was a good spot. The good was delicious and drinks too!! Our waitress kinda sucked but we were enjoying ourselves so that didn't really matter!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!CbusfoodieDined on 8/1/2014My fiancé and I decided to try Barrel 44 for our weekly date night. The service was great, drinks were sensational. Our waiter gave us excellent recommendations from the Menus. Barrel has outstanding selections of Whiskey. I would recommend this place to anyone for their date nights or friendly gatherings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 27 reviews are from the Barrel 44 - Short North reviews archive.
- 1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch and 1 BeerJoelDined on 5/31/2014We did not eat here, so please disregard food rating. We visited to try different bourbons, whiskeys and scotches. Nothing really rare, but a pretty extensive list of around 200 options, probably largest selection in Columbus. They offer flights (1 oz shots) or glasses (i think they were 2 oz servings). The 1 oz servings were typically $3-6 each with a few lower costing ones and a few more expensive ones. Nice decor and comfortable setting. Did not get overly crowded on a Saturday night. We enjoyed our evening, but it can get a little pricey. Our tab for the two of us totaled about $70. That included Six 1 oz tastings, One 2 oz tasting, a Beer, and two cocktails. Not something we'd normally do, but fun on a special occasion.Special Features:
- less than expectedpizzaDined on 5/17/2014The pizza I ordered didn't come out, I received something else. It tasted like a kids microwavable pizza, and I only ate it because I was hungry and there were 7 of us in the party. Our waiter was excellent, but only changed the price of the pizza that I got instead of should havr gotten. I feel I should have gotten more of a discount. The others in the party were extremely pleased with their foodSpecial Features:
- Whiskey makes my baby, feel a littlOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Great flights and great food. I was a little nervous about the exterior, but don't be fooled. They know what they are doing here. I will return soon.Special Features:
- Not What we HopedNifRVIPDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I tried Barrel 44 on the recommendation of friends. The food was okay, the drinks were so-so and our waitress completely lacked personality. We like to try different places but service can kill an otherwise decent situation.
- Barrell 44OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014Great Happy Hour specials. Food was very good, especially the small plate appetizers. Restaurant is a bit too dark which makes it difficult to read the menu. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Average at BestJoeTonyDDined on 3/28/2014I would only recommend this place if you need a quick bite and you have limited options at the given time. The wait staff was very good and attentive. The food & drinks however were average... My burger was very rare when I had asked for it to be medium rare. My wife's Sazerac was the smallest pour I had ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food amazing drinksBethDined on 3/8/2014We had dinner on Saturday night. The restaurant was crowded but not overwhelming and had a good energy. The food was good and seemed to be a very good value. We first ordered off the specialty cocktail menu and absolutely loved our drinks. Generous pours and very creative. My husband then had a few burbons and felt that there was a great selection. The service was good.Special Features:
- Barrel 44 is a really funAlexaDined on 2/28/2014Barrel 44 is a really fun place to grab a drink, and the food is pretty good for bar food -- their best offerings, in my opinion, are their burgers, which are hearty and have some pretty awesome toppings. I also appreciate that they always have at least one cider on tap, as I have to watch my gluten intake. The restaurant is almost always understaffed, so if you go here, be ready to wait a lot. As long as you come with that mindset, you're golden. Sitting at the bar also helps. Pro tip: order your burger more rare than usual -- they overcook them otherwise.Special Features:
- Review:Barrell 444girlsDined on 2/22/2014Food & atmosphere was very good, however the service was extremely slow for the entire duration of the meal. This needs improved to be recommended.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014If you're expecting an upscale whiskey bar and restaurant, you'll be disappointed. Not greeted by a host, flooded floor, inattentive wait staff. Very good whiskey. Didn't order food from a menu that seemed overpriced for it's surroundings. Given that we had reservations, we were expecting a nice dinner with entrées. Entree selection was very limited, so we decided to go elsewhere. Sandwiches and burgers looked good on the menu and plates passing by. Probably our fault for not doing enough research, but might be respresented as more classy than it is online. Would visit again as a bar/ for bar food. Would recommend sitting at the bar. Bar staff as much friendlier than wait staff.Special Features:
- Great even for non whiskey fansBivvieDined on 2/7/2014The food was great, even though they had run out of oysters by the time we go there for a late dinner. My family was pleased with the whiskey, but I'm not a fan so I got a mixed drink called Pink Feather. It was good, but I probably wouldn't order it again. (mostly because I'm also not a huge gin fan-just wanted to give it another try for good measure). The service was timely, even though the place was crowded. Overall, I'l definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad service, slow kitchen, ok goodadljDined on 2/1/2014My gf and I went for a late night dinner around 8 on Saturday. We weren't in a rush at all. We had a few cocktails and ordered quickly. She was suppossed to get a salad first and that took over 30 minutes and want made without cheese. In addition, the server was very difficult to get a hold of to check with or order another drink. Meals took almost an hour to come out. Server did say a cook had quit the night before. Crab cake was very good. Everything else was average. Spent over 80 bucks and it definately wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseChair50Dined on 2/1/2014Grabbed an early dinner before a hockey game & was pleasantly surprised! Parking could be a concern but we found a spot on the street. Food was tasty, hot & plentiful!Special Features:
- Good FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014We went here for a date night. The experience was a good one. Our server was nice but busy which made the service a little slow. The food was good and the atmosphere was great. We will be going back again soon for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laidback atmosphere unique menu.mikeDined on 1/21/2014First, it was a Tuesday at 5:30 pm so no one was there. Dive bar atmosphere with an intriguing menu of burgers, sandwiches and flatbreads. Great whiskey list, but could stand more beer options for the non whiskey drinkers. The menu goes great with a pint or whiskey.Special Features:
- OK PlaceMArnoldVIPDined on 1/17/2014Been meaning to try this place for a while. Menu had a good variety and of course, the spirits list was great. I think our server had too many tables and the food was a bit overpriced. My friends each ordered a salad with steak. It was a large plate of greens, some hearts of palm, and a few strips of steak. When we got the bill, the salad was $19.99. A bit disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What you don't wantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013You don't want to be moved to a different table after seated for 15 minutes without a drink. You don't want to be moved to a table by the door when it's December 31 and snowing out. You don't want the server to forget your drink order and come back. You don't want your food to taste like it was micro-waved. You don't want the manager to tell you "they shouldn't let me do this (to which he is referring to work the door and seat people. Or maybe his job in general). You don't want the interior to look like they didn't have the time to fix the holes in the wall or patch the ceiling. You definitely don't want the bathroom to look like it does.
- It's open...really!LizEatsALotVIPDined on 12/29/2013This is the second time we've dined at barrel 44... the outside really looks like it could be closed or even condemned....but once you open the doors, it's warm and inviting. The wait staff know their stuff and if you are a novice burbon/whiskey drinker they know just what to suggest. The food is awesome - seafood themed. I had the fried catfish sandwich and fresh fries - DELISH and the hubby had the flatbread (pep and sausage). This place is really worth a second glance, stop in for great food, drinks and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but good.SheilaDined on 12/28/2013Good music played durimg our meal amd great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lump of coalFelixDined on 12/24/2013One has to take into consideration that we dined at Barrel 44 on Christmas Eve. It wasn't busy and I'd have to guess that the kitchen wasn't inspired and the wait staff was reduced. Our brucheta was soggy, the chicken in the salad was overcooked and our hamburgers were indistinguishable between the two requests: medium and medium rare. And the waitress had no clue which was supposed to be which when delivered. The service was exceedingly slow...slowest we've had all year. The waitress was very pleasant, however, and I'm guessing she was waiting on the kitchen and the bar. There decor is worn and unimpressive. The bright spot: they make a great Manhattan.Special Features:
- Great FoodNoffyDined on 12/18/2013Met for a late evening meal with friends. Less is more when it comes to their basic decor. Nothing flashy, rustic wood table. Appetizers were OK, entree of flat iron steak was wonderful cooked medium rare. Drinks were good. Service lacked due to forgetting drink orders and not much knowledge when questioned about the options, but our server was new so maybe just a chance occurrence?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/drinks, Service was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2013The food and drinks were amazing. However, our service could have been a bit better. Our waitress wasn't very welcoming and made us feel unworthy of drinking their whiskey. However, I would definitely go back! Food was AWESOME!Special Features:
- Good bar bites but poor whiskeyWillVIPDined on 11/21/2013For a bar that touts a selection of 200 whiskeys, this place fell flat. The majority of their selection could be bought at a costco or your average liquor store. They had two "special" whiskeys, a 21 yr port aged speyside (~$18) and the Jefferson 18 (~ $18). Nothing else remotely rare or interesting. Pricing for their whiskeys was high, the Jefferson 18 is a 100$ bottle and a 2 oz pour was nearly 20$. Disappointing, which is a shame because they had a very fun bar and the apps we ordered were delicious If gentleman jack is your drink, then it's a great spot. But for those looking for exciting or obscure whiskeys, this place doesn't quite add upSpecial Features:
- Food inconsistent, not a great lookRickVIPDined on 9/25/2013My meal was fine, but my friend's was not. He ordered something with rice, and rice was practically raw. Very undercooked, and crunchy. The place wasn't really what I had in mind. Pretty grungy looking. OK for a neighborhood place, I guess, and I'm not saying it wasn't clean. It just wasn't a great looking place. Our server was great, but I'm afraid I can't recommend the restaurant.
- Great food and drink!RickVIPDined on 9/21/2013Food, as always, is great. Service is friendly and wonderful. And, the cocktails are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great drinksGlobalEaterDined on 7/3/2013Was visiting from Washington DC and found Barrel 44 via OT. We had a very tasty and enjoyable meal, with an unexpectedly sophisticated approach to burgers and flatbreads. The range of whiskeys offered is very good as well. Would come back if I lived here!Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2013Had high hopes for this place due to what I'd heard before, however, our server was very rude and condescending. 2 of my 3 drink orders were wrong. Which isn't the end of the world, but you wouldn't expect the server to argue with you on whether or not they brought what was ordered. Food was good.