Barracuda Japanese Restaurant - SF
2251 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Barracuda Japanese Restaurant - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barracudasushi.com/
- Phone: 4155588567x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am to 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Ruben Giannini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We provide catering - party trays. If you are interested please call the restaurant and ask for Nam Kim (MGR).
- Entertainment: Karaoke Party!
Every Friday & Saturday from 10:00pm to Midnight.
A word from Barracuda Japanese Restaurant - SF
Barracuda Japanese Restaurant on Market is located in the Castro District.Continued
Fun, colorful, and experimental; serving Neo-Japanese Cuisine with a mix of Brazilian and Peruvian flavors to spice things up!
Fun, colorful, and experimental; serving Neo-Japanese Cuisine with a mix of Brazilian and Peruvian flavors to spice things up!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barracuda Japanese Restaurant - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Fresh sashimiPeckDined on 7/11/2014Great foods at reasonable prices! The appetizer platter was well presented and tempura was light & crispy! Sashimi was so fresh and love the warm and friendly service. A little noisy but given that there was a table of guests celebrating a birthday it was understandable. Will highly recommend but I hope they will not become another NOPA which requires 8 weeks advance booking ughhhh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like it!!!!!!!!!!!Acme2Dined on 5/30/2014Their reservation is very confusing, They don't update the open table or yelp so when I did my reservation they didn't have any table available not very good. we had to wait 40 minSpecial Features:
- Not the bestFoodInMouthBullDined on 5/4/2014While food was very good, service was quite slow and not on purpose. My biggest issue is the restaurant's decor, which is literally being kept together with scotch tape. The myriad of christmas lights with undulating lighting along the wall contrasted with a busy booth print is not pleasant. Their front door is always open, regardless of weather. Dropping almost 80 bucks for lunch, I would expect better ambiance than scotch tape all over the place. Also, we were almost at the table closest to the sushi bar and it was still quite cold. Unless there's a planned group event that will be booked outside my involvement, I don't think I'll be back anytime soon. There are much better sushi restaurants in the Castro.
- Perfect place to hang Friday nightJaneCDined on 4/25/2014Hung out here all night with friends. Sushi and cocktails were good. Service was fantastic. Our waiter was fun, friendly, and kept up with us even though we were a bit chaotic in how we ordered food and drink. We sat down at 7:30 and didn't leave until 11. Good party music in the background but still easy to hear each other. Other big groups of friends partying at tables around us. Super friendly vibe--one table bought us all sake bombs to join in with them, another table invited us all out dancing with them. I love San Francisco.Special Features:
- The following 283 reviews are from the Barracuda Japanese Restaurant - SF reviews archive.
- fun for a friday night outTigerVIPDined on 4/11/2014always a good selection of rolls that are creative. The music is top 40 and fun, great for a lively dinner in castro with friends highly recommendSpecial Features:
- The Best Spicy RamenMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 4/11/2014I come to Barracuda now and then for one thing only: their spicy broth pork ramen soup! Trust me, I know my SF Ramen joints, but this particular soup continues to be one of the top 3 on my list: (1) the noodles aren't wimpy, they display a nice bounce, and are cooked perfectly (i.e., not too soft); (2) the broth is a combination of pork base (with milk?) and kimchee! Fantastic!!! Too bad at night night this place is so loud. Must be a Castro thing. Hey, guys, we are no longer in the 1980s! With places like Frances just a few blocks away, catch up with sound level and lowering down the music.Special Features:
- Fun and lively sushi jointTigerVIPDined on 3/28/2014one of castros best sushi places the service could have been a little better the rolls were delicious as always and good atmosphere perfect for a friday night out with friendsSpecial Features:
- InconsistentFiiiiiiiishDined on 2/25/2014Ate here once before; the place was fairly crowded but everything was quite good, from the service to the fish. This time was marked by inconsistencies. The nigiri we ordered was great, although they were out of several fish that we had wanted. The rolls, however, were somewhat disappointing. The spider in the ultimate spider roll was sort of cold and chewy, and the volcano was just kind of "meh." Service was friendly but seemed really slow, which is hard to explain given how uncrowded the restaurant was. I would go back, but I think next time I'd try to sit at the sushi bar, skip the rolls and just order straight up fish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place, Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Went with my boyfriend the sushi was amazing the service was great I see myself returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very fun atmosphereMarieYFVIPDined on 2/8/2014Fun, dance music plaing made the restaurant feel like a party.
- Delicious SushiJordanDined on 2/1/2014All of the fish tasted fresh and delicious. Was able to easily get a reservation for an early dinner no problem. Very nice atmosphere and cocktails. Very good across the board.Special Features:
- One of castros best sushi placesTigerVIPDined on 1/15/2014great for parties or large groups they have fun rolls and a variety of menu items that are interesting the staff is friendly and they have good recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A step above your standard sushijdsfVIPDined on 1/4/2014I was impressed that the 7 piece nigiri tasting was more like a mini omakase rather than your standard salmon, shrip, tuna, etc and was instead fluke, ocean trout, snapper, etc, and was well done with satisfyingly sized slices of fish. Often sushi places either go a bit thin on the fish slices so you can really only manage one bite even if you try for two, or go waaay overboard so they are known as the "giant nigiri" places, which then are hard to handle.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for dinnerDougfromseattleDined on 12/31/2013We came here New Years Eve. The food was very good and the table was nice. It is small so you are fairly close to your neighbor it I could not hear their conversations and I do t think they could hear ours. The waiter was very goodand recommended the appropriate dishes. Highly recommend if you're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinnerSFDinerVIPDined on 12/24/2013We had looked forward to our dinner after reading the positive reviews but we're quite disappointed. The food was just OK, nothing to rave about. The sushi was rather bland, even the items marked on the menu as spicy. The best thing we had was the spicy edamame. Service was lacking and the restaurant was not busy. Would not go back or recommend to friends.
- Good food, Slow serviceDragonladyDined on 12/22/2013The food was excelent, typical sushi fare. Bar was ok but slow, waiter forgot items.
- We drove a long way to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2013We drove a long way to try the Chef's tasting menu, but was disappointed... The restaurant was not busy, yet the waitress hurriedly rambled off the types of sushi on the plate... when we got her attention a little later and asked her about the different types of sushi, she said she couldn't remember what was on our plate. She was not personable at all, and did not take the time to talk to us. The lone sushi roll would have been much better split into three or four different types of rolls (2 pieces each type) afterall, it is a "tasting" menu ... lastly, including a little something sweet would have been nice... I am not going to recommend this to anyone since it was nothing to brag about, and mediocre at best...
- The sushi here is always good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/9/2013The sushi here is always good. Who does not love Sushi on fire! This place is a good, every-day sushi place. It's not a place for a snobby sushi eater. It's not the place where you will get the most exquisite sushi, but it's the place you can go to have a reasonably priced meal and have fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid QualityDeweyDined on 12/8/2013Barracuda has a great location on Market Street that is hard to beat. The food I'd say is definitely better than average, but not remarkable. The service was impecable - they seemed extremely attentive, real team effort by the staff, and never left us anything for want. The restaurant had a great ambience - it is modern, well kept/clean, and even with the place more than half full durning my visit it still did not seem overly loud and tables are not arranged in such a way as to seem very crowded like most SF establishments. I actually came here for a second date, and while I'd say it does not strike me as particularly romantic setting it certainly served it's purpose quite well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freezing Dining RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 12/6/2013The waitress said that she was too busy to address the issue, but that she thinks that the heater was on. Later the bartender came over to let us know that the AC and Heater were off. I polled the people sitting around me and they confirmed that there was definitely an AC running and it was not draft as they claim it was. In any case, the dinner was not enjoyable because I was cold and I was wearing my winter coat! Given that the food was good, this is too bad!
- ExcellentEmilieVIPDined on 12/4/2013Perfect as usual! You should try Japanese Cowboy rolls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Awesome ServiceCALMVIPDined on 12/2/2013Neighborhood notable dining experience. Food is always fresh and service is always good. I highly recommend this establishment for anyone looking for Japanese cuisine in the Castro area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!EmilieVIPDined on 11/23/2013Excellent sushi restaurant to be discovered! You just must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety SushifitndineVIPDined on 11/23/2013Good variety...they take special orders...make your own roll!!! Sushi chef Cesar will create whatever you ask. Have returned many times and sat at the sushi bar. Hit it at non peak hours otherwise forget it.Special Features:
- Friendly wait staff Talented barmanEJGIDined on 11/22/2013I recommend the dragon roll. The food was great. The service was great. The host was super friendly and sweet. I arrived at 8:00 and go a great table. The place was packed at 9:30 with lots of people waiting outside for tables. The crowd was spirited and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although the menu is heavyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/7/2013Although the menu is heavy on sushi, this non-fisher eater was able to find many yummy things to try. The sliders were exceptional.Special Features:
- Nice place for SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2013This is a fun little, energetic sushi restaurant in the castro. Service puts out full effort and the dishes are attractive. This sushi quality is a step below some of the best in the City, but if you are hungry for solid and in the area, this is a good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "F" Train on Market to BarracudaBurtonDined on 10/21/2013Excellent happy hour weekdays 5-7pm. You can have dinner from the happy hour menu since there is plenty to choose from. Not fancy, but casual neighborhood dinning is the scene here.Special Features:
- Service was not goodHstudVIPDined on 10/14/2013We eat here about every six weeks or so. The host grabbed the menus and walked all the way to the other side of the restaurant not looking to see if we followed, he did not bother to say hello. He dropped the menus on the table and walked away long before we got there. We had to chase him down to tell him we had a reservation thru Opentable The waiter had much of the same attitude. At the end(tip time) he actually said thank you which was about all he said except uh huh. Very disappointing especially to a good customer.
- Last Minute Brunch IdeaBrunchkateerDined on 9/29/2013It is almost impossible to dine at a well known (or any known ) brunch location in San francisco. Thanks to OT I was able to reserve a spot in a japanese restaurant that served a "japanese" style brunch. Bottomless mimosas with entree, very delicious and creative items on the menu, and attentive staff. Overall a perfect new experience for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2013We had the tasting menu, generous portions of unctuous sashimi were especially yummy. The service is impeccable, and the kitchen prompt. We keep coming back because of the consistency!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Great ServiceCALMVIPDined on 9/8/2013Conveniently located in Castro, this was a perfect spot for good Japanese sushi and friendly service by locals. Fast speedy service made the meal an excellent experience.Special Features:
- so nice food, too noisyelviraDined on 9/6/2013We love this place. The tasting menu is just fantastic. It was too noisy last Friday, though. Was hard to speak with my friends sharing table with me.Special Features:
- Loved itDsigningwnVIPDined on 8/20/2013Great sushi, ambiance, music, service. Everything was outstanding. I'll be there a LOT in future. Don't know why it took me so LNG to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bloody Mary EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2013The brunch menu is really great for those who want Japanese or traditional brunch items. But what sent our group over the edge were the most delicious Bloody Marys we'd ever tasted. We got spicy and asked them why they tasted so good - yet different. Instead of Tabasco, they use wasabi and Sriracha. Amazing. We had three rounds of them. And we were a group of 10 which is well suited for Barracuda because their walls are covered with continuous benches, so they can comfortably accommodate really large parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese food in the CastroOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013The food was great, the ambience acceptable, but it lacked the feel of a real Japanese restaurant. More American-Japanese than actual Japanese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and restaurant,Anderson123VIPDined on 8/10/2013Great food and restaurant, but very poor service. The waiter had an unprofessional attitude and made us feel rushed. Rude.
- As loud as an airport runwayPacificNDined on 8/10/2013The sushi here is excellent and the fish is fresh. We all habe frequented this restaurant. That being said, we were a party of four seated 25 feet from a party of 12 20-something's. not only was the noise from that party beyond excessive, the restaurant actually turned up their music to drown out the party (or add to it....I'm not sure). In the middle of our dinner, we all just stopped trying to talk to each other because we couldn't scream loud enough.Special Features:
- Big disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2013We really can't make sense of so many glowing reviews after our Saturday night dinner at Barracuda. The maitre d was very nice and welcoming but the rest pf the service rather indifferent and not very efficient (we had to ask for our check twice). And the food... They are trying so hard to make sushi unusual and original but the result is plain ridiculous and unsavoury (my companion didn't even finish his order which has got to be a first). Ambiance is ok although a bit on the vulgar side and music way too loud but that was expected. Why go there when there are so many great sushi places?!
- Excellent service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/9/2013My husband, son and I planned on spending the day in San Francisco. We found the Barracuda on OpenTable for dinner after visiting The California Academy of Science. Our server Chris was very friendly and attentive. We ordered teriyaki beef and chicken, dragon roll, California rolls, sashimi and sake for me. Everything was great. We will definitely be back again soon.Special Features: