104 Fortaleza Street
San Juan, PR 00901Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barrachina.com/
- Phone: (787) 725-7912
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday, Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Luis Miguel De La Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Catering: The entire menu is available for off-site catering.
- Private Party Facilities: for groups of 50 or 75 people
- Private Party Contact: Rafael Ruiz 7877257912
- Entertainment: Flamenco Show on Friday and Saturday evenings from 8pm to 9pm.
- Special Events: Weddings and Rehearsal dinner
A word from Barrachina
Located in Old San Juan, just one block from La Fortaleza (the Governor’s Mansion) Barrachina restaurant has been catering to tourist and locals for over 40 years in the old city. The surrounding beauty of a colonial building over two centuries old with an interior courtyard and magnificent tropical foliage is the birthplace and home of the world famous piña colada, where don Ramon Portas Mingot, first made the famous drink in 1963. A visit to San Juan is not complete without Barrachina. For reservations for the Flamenco show on Friday and Saturday evenings, please contact the restaurant directly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Barrachina - Best Restaurants in San Juan ›
Barrachina reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- ConsistencyGeneKDined on 10/7/2014They are very consistent in the quality of the food and combined with the excellent service made our night very enjoyable. We have been going for several years whern in San juan and can reccomend this place to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant and staff seem to be unprepared for large tables during their flamenco show. It took 45 minutes to get our appetizer, and then the main course 10 minutes later. The food was lukewarm at best, and the service was indifferent. It wasn't even interested in getting me another drink.
- Great ambiance with great foodPweedvsinuyashaDined on 9/21/2014It's my second time visiting Barrachina in old San Juan and it hasn't disappointed me. This time whent with the family so we got to taste a variety of the offering in the menu and gladly I can say that everithing was very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Execelent place1IGBDined on 9/5/2014It was great and the service was amazing!! I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicelove2travel2gtherVIPDined on 9/1/2014My husband and I have had Barrachina on our lust for a long time and decided to dine there for my birthday dinner. Everything was very nice between the food, the service and the ambiance. Save room for dessert thee rum cake is excellent. We will definitely dine there again next time we are in Puerto Rico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time visitorBewar07Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent restaurant it was my first visit to Puerto Rico and I enjoyed the food specially the pina colada. Best restaurant so far I visited in the Island.Special Features:
- Great find in the land of good foodixlr8VIPDined on 8/23/2014Had a party of 8, and found this gem right down the street from where we were staying. They promote their pina colada as a starter - make sure you understand that rum will melt the mix quickly. They also have a flamenco dance show on select nights, reservation recommended - great show! The group ate several different dishes across the board - whole fish (awesome), steaks, pork (awesome), and of course, mofungo. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals, and the service staff was on point. Hard to set an expectation when travelling out of the country, but this place exceed all predispositions! The hostesses were extremely helpful as well! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Good but not greatRonamarkDined on 8/16/2014Piña colata was very good and worth the trip. We loved the garlic shrimp. They were plump, well cooked and delicious. The Paella and flan were good but nothing special. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Very good!!Love2eatVIPDined on 8/15/2014From the moment that we were able to change our reservation on the day of...on a busy night, to the moment that we left with a free tres leches dessert, the service was top notch! Roberto, our server (out of the two that we had), was very accommodating and hospitable. The hostess was very nice and helpful as well. When our 4 year old fell off his chair...she was the first one to come to his aid. The atmosphere was great...we came to see the Flamenco dancers, which were all great! (Fri, Sat 6:30-9pm). The food was great as well (Paella for 2 could have been for 3) and their famous Piña Coladas were very good. I usually tip 18%, I went just over 20% on this trip...that's how good our experience was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flamenco showOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014Great Flamenco show on Friday and Saturday nights. To get a closer table, make a reservation for 7 or 7:15 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedluv2eatDined on 8/1/2014Food was not tasty. I had the chicken manchego which was so dry I could not chew it. Cheese and proscuitto was minimal. It was served with white rice and a bowl of canned red beans to spoon over it. Also very disappointed in the appetizer plate - combo for two. We also saw the Flamenco show. Way too long. There is only a slight difference in the dances which i concluded were simply the difference in the way their shoes make noise on the wooden stage floor. Also, as I was in a wheelchair it was an ordeal to get into this place. They had to pull out ramps to get me up to the table. Floors are all stone tile and very uneven and tight spaces to maneuver through. We won't be returning or recommending this place.
- The following 146 reviews are from the Barrachina reviews archive.
- Great AmbianceEpicurus66Dined on 7/25/2014Barrachina was recommended to us as a place to have an enjoyable evening of local cruise and Spanish dancing show. Food was very good as was the service. Priceswere reasonable just make sure that you make reservations for the show. Try it you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday in Puerto RicoBirthdayDined on 7/13/2014I planned a 40th trip for a friend and we had dinner there. It was great. Red snapper and mofungo were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just plain averageOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/7/2014The food was just average. We ordered the Pina Colladas and were not sure there was any alcohol in them. I ordered the roast pork and it was very dry. The server was pushy and not very friendly. I was very disappointed with this visit, it was our only day in San Juan and we didn't get the opportunity to experience a better restaurant.
- Great EveningPBH1Dined on 6/3/2014We had a great meal at this restaurant. They are famous for there Pina Colada's and I must say they did not disappoint. My wife and I had a grilled snapper and Steak Mofongo. Each dish was delicious and we enjoyed it immensely. Service was excellent and We would recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/26/2014First, the food is amazing. Absolutely worth the visit. Puerto Rican inspired, creatively executed. Our server (sorry, I forgot her name! Longish dark hair, multiple ear piercings and striking eyes) was utterly kind, patient of helpful. Despite a kind of wacky set of customers (me included!), she very kindly walked us through the menu and provided a marvelous selection of options. She was a true delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014Barrachina was an unplanned lunch stop during our trip in Old San Juan. If you're visiting Old San Juan, Barrachina is a MUST! In Old San Juan, this quaint and legendary restaurant aims to please! Try the piña coladas (where this frosty beverage originates) The dishes are served with traditional red beans and rice that complete your entree. The staff couldn't be nicer and more accommodating. If you miss this stop on your San Juan visit you'll be missing out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperiencerestaurantguruDined on 5/6/2014Good food, good prices. A nice place to enjoy a while with your couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excllent Meal!BlueSRTDined on 5/5/2014We had a party of 7 which they accommodated with ease. The server was attentive, the food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable! I will definitely return in the future.Special Features:
- Practical choice in Old San JuanJorgeVIPDined on 4/28/2014Conenuently located in rhe heart of Old San Juan, practical stop to experience tasty and well served PRican foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fairOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2014Long wait for service... The fried grouper is good but the chicken is dried like cardboard...
- Baile! Baile!VacationLover1124VIPDined on 4/12/2014If you have the fortune to visit Old San Juan, you must make a reservation at Barrachina for the Flamenco Dinner Dance Show. I took my 8 yr old daughter there while on Spring Break. The show was captivating and also appropirate for all ages. There was a lot of energy, the dancers had fancy foot work and the music in the background was great. I can't forget to mention the food. It was extremely tasty and the pina colada was super tasty. My daugher loved her virgin pina colada as well. We had a wonderul cultural experience and can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- TouristyAgent412VIPDined on 4/3/2014Plastic menus, overpriced, mediocre food. Many better options in Old San Juan.
- Pina Colada - Where It BeganJerseyDined on 3/21/2014Arrived with a reservation...waited 15 minutes for a table to be cleared. Waiter explained menu, gave us the specials and even made some recommendations. The semi-outdoor patio (roof is open) gives you a feel of outdoor dining. Great pina coladas and dinner menu. Recommend while visiting Old San Juan.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alada Piña coladaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014We were in port and walking around beautiful old town San Juan. This was the cap to a perfect day. The piña coladas are very good and the food was good too. Thanks to "open table" our reservations got us into a little room which worked out well since the outdoor diners were contending with an afternoon shower.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodluvvreDined on 3/18/2014Barrachina 's was recommended as a must do by family members. Hubby and I each had the red snapper with yellow rice and beans -- he loves rice and beans. Portions were huge; had no room for dessert. Can't comment on on the piña coladas since we don't drink. We both agree it was one of our best meals had during our cruise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Find a coupon2TravellerDined on 3/16/2014The claim to fame is the discovery of the piña colada so we had to try it. It was made in a mixer machine and not much to write he about so don't waste your money if you don't have a free coupon for one. The food however was good and plentiful. I had their special- pork chops with root vegetable. My friend the steak fajitas. We also had the Puerto Rican sampler appetizer which was good. Our waiter was so-so. The chairs are enormously heavy in the outside dining area and had to get pulled in or out and make a lot of noise. They need glides or something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pina Colada GaloreJaclynVIPDined on 3/15/2014Be sure to order a piña colada this place invented it! Delicious monfongo and the fish must be ordered fried! Definitely a place to go see if you're in Puerto Rico. Authentic dining. Dinner plates range from $15-20. Drinks are $7 (pina colada) - $10 mixed drinks/margaritas. $3.50 beers. I would recommend getting any of the monfongo combinations. We did try the Spanish sausage which was delicious and very flavorable. I loved my passion fruit margarita, which is a flavor you can't always get in the states. Restaurant is set up in three areas, 2 inside rooms separated by an outdoor "patio," that doesn't feel like a patio. Make a reservation early for the macarena show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceDrAntHillDined on 3/15/2014Food was fine, but service was very poor. We felt rushed. The waitress did not know which wines were available. The wine was simply poured and frankly, was not a quality that I felt the restaurant should have been serving. Food was good otherwise, but service really turned us off. It was our worst dining experience in San Juan.
- Don't miss it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Food was great! But wish we had made our reservations earlier. On Friday and Saturday they have Flamenco Dancers, and we could not get in! Pina Coladas were delis! We will go back on our next trip to San Juan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Is Nothing ExcitingJ451Dined on 3/1/2014We had pina coladas here, which were pretty good, although all the pina coladas I had in Puerto Rico at varying prices were also delicious. I spent more than I would have liked for a very basic fish dish, and it was not worth it. The ingredients were so basic and bland and the fish was too fishy. You could probably make a much better meal at home. My boyfriend had fajitas which weren't cheap, but were less tasty than ones you could get at a cheap Mexican restaurant. I definitely wouldn't eat here again, although I wouldn't be opposed to sitting in their indoor patio bar and getting some drinks.
- This was a birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014This was a birthday celebration for my husband. We were in San Juan for the day on a cruise with three other couples. When I made the reservation I requested a birthday cake which never appeared. I was expecting to pay for it. I tried to find the waitress on the sly to mention it but could not find her in a timely manner. Overall we enjoyed the meal very much,Special Features:
- The shrimp was seasoned moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014The shrimp was seasoned more then I like but the pina colada was the best I ever had. The staff was very nice and the ambiance was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance, Food OKJenninSDDined on 1/31/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate a birthday. Their claim to fame is that they say they invented the pina colada. The ambiance is excellent, but the food was just so-so. We would probably go back, but would order differently, and probably get more local fare.Special Features:
- 2nd time visitSailorsbeweDined on 1/25/2014We had been to Barrachina previously and enjoyed a fantastic meal, flamenco dancers and excellent music. This visit, we were not lucky to have a seat inside the area where the dancers were, but could hear the music. On top of the sound of the music from that section of the restaurant, was music playing in other areas, so it was a combined confusing music sound. The food was tasty and the manager was overly apologetic that it was going to take the kitchen a while to get our order - and to compensate, they gave us complimentary appetizers. (And to be honest, it didn't take the kitchen very long to bring our order anyway!) The BEST Pina Colada's in Old San Juan - by far!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experience for foodiesDesertrosejanyDined on 12/15/2013It was an excellent experience and will definitely come back. Ambience, exquisite food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was nothing special.wellTravelledDinerDined on 11/24/2013Food was nothing special. Pina Colada was very good. The only reason to go here is for a pina colada break from the heat.
- awesome service and great foodmanykidsDined on 11/3/2013We were spending some time in Old San Juan before heading to the airport following a cruise vacation. Took a taxi from the port to the restaurant where they stored our luggage for an optional tip of $10 for 5 bags. After touring the city for a few hours we went back and had lunch. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. We ordered the nachos as an appetizer. They were yummy! My mother and I split an order of beef mofongo (more than enough for us), the others had the hamburger and club sandwich. All meals were tasty and served quickly. Our bill for 4 people including 2 pina colada's and 3 non alcohol drinks was $80 before tip. Will definitely do this again if we cruise out of San Juan again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We won't be backitchin2getawayDined on 10/26/2013Not too much fun - we all said we would never go back. The food was nothing special, the service aweful, the ambiance either too dead or too loud. Great Frozen Mojitos - not so great Pina Coladas. Unless you can sit in the closed off room where they have the Flamingo Dancing Show don't bother with this place or if you want a frozen mojito then just sit at the bar for awhile.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingJohnDined on 10/17/2013We held our wedding rehearsal dinner at the restaurant. We originally set a reservation for 20, but about 3 hours prior to the reservation time, we changed the number to 50. They easily accommodated us and were able to split bills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.