104 Fortaleza Street
San Juan, PR 00901Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barrachina.com/
- Phone: (787) 725-7912
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday, Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Luis Miguel De La Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Catering: The entire menu is available for off-site catering.
- Private Party Facilities: for groups of 50 or 75 people
- Private Party Contact: Rafael Ruiz 7877257912
- Entertainment: Flamenco Show on Friday and Saturday evenings from 8pm to 9pm.
- Special Events: Weddings and Rehearsal dinner
A word from Barrachina
Located in Old San Juan, just one block from La Fortaleza (the Governor’s Mansion) Barrachina restaurant has been catering to tourist and locals for over 40 years in the old city. The surrounding beauty of a colonial building over two centuries old with an interior courtyard and magnificent tropical foliage is the birthplace and home of the world famous piña colada, where don Ramon Portas Mingot, first made the famous drink in 1963. A visit to San Juan is not complete without Barrachina. For reservations for the Flamenco show on Friday and Saturday evenings, please contact the restaurant directly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Barrachina - Best Restaurants in San Juan ›
Barrachina reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Charming setting -- interiorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2012Charming setting -- interior cobblestone courtyard with umbrella tables. Service was good. Very comfortable place to eat in Old San Juan. However, the food was pretty bad. We went there specifically for paella. Four of us had the seafood paella ($49 for 2 people). The dish was totally bland, seemed to have no spices whatsoever, and the seafood was overcooked and mushy. The other things we ordered were also pretty bad. Our 15-year-old was happy enough with his steak. We were surprised, because we had chosen this restaurant specifically because of good-food reviews -- perhaps we didn't look for enough reviews.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was great forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/12/2012The atmosphere was great for both kids and adults alike. The kids were able to draw on the paper table cloths. The food was delicious...large portions, almost too much food. We did not have to wait for our reservation time, we were taken in early...thank you! Service was good and our waiter was friendly. Price was very reasonable as well.Special Features:
- The food here was just okay,benneDined on 3/11/2012The food here was just okay, but our waiter was great fun and the pina coladas were great!Special Features:
- A wonderful dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2012A wonderful dining experience. Are large group was well taken care of and our server Miller was gracious, prompt and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Post-Cruise EventOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2012My friends are more into the Spanish fare than I am, but I did enjoy a "surf and turf" dish of shrimp and steak. The waiters were helpful with suggestions, and appropriately attentive without being overly obsequious. Jose's final words of gratitude for serving us, when presenting the bill was also a nice touch, and the tip we added to the bill was well-deserved. We booked this restaurant as a place to have lunch and store our luggage after a great 7-day cruise. We were able to relax, play cards after lunch and shopping, and then enjoy a walk to "El Morro" as well as enjoy the views and ambience of Old San Juan. Great location, and only a 25 minute (and $20) ride to the airport.Special Features:
- This restaurant is known forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012This restaurant is known for its Pina Colada...which was not the best I had while in PR. We sat inside and it was unbearably hot (to the point we were all sweating excessively)and once our order was taken the waiter vanished so when one of our dishes was served VERY under cooked, my husband had to go and find the waiter for assistance.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2012Great restaurant.. They were waiting for me due to a traffic issue. They greeted me at the front. I had requested an outdoor terrace table and it was reserved for me! Gabriel was our waiter, he was very helpful and gave many recommendations. The food was very good. I had the pork tenderloin, it was good. Pina Coladas were great as well. I would reccommend this restaurant if your in the Old San Juan area..Special Features:
- Food was excellent, pricesCyberbondDined on 2/18/2012Food was excellent, prices are resonable and service is great. It is the birthplace of the Piña Colada and still the best!Special Features:
- This is where you want to eat!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012Actually ate here twice during our most recent visit to PR, Feb, 2012. First was 9:00pm dinner reservation (four of us); We enjoyed it so much we came back; Second time was walk-in lunch a few days later with a larger group (nine of us). EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR GROUP LOVED IT! We loved the drinks (yes, the pina coladas are special here!) We all loved the food, and each had something different and it was each meal equally as plentiful and flavorful. Service is excellent, staff very friendly, I was so glad to find a really great place among some others I did not enjoy in the downtown (Old San Juan) area. LOVED everything about it.Special Features:
- Fantastic drinks...mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/13/2012Fantastic drinks...mediocre foods. Time to stop living off their reputation of creating the pina colada and start looking at their less than stellar food.Special Features:
- Go for the piña coladasdavidcooperbergVIPDined on 2/9/2012The piña colada was invented here in 1963, and they are great. The shrimp is pretty good, but not outstanding. Sitting on the patio is recommended, so specify when you reserve. On a Thursday night, we closed the place at 9:15 PM, which was a bit surprising.
- Outstandinglexi2VIPDined on 2/4/2012Outstanding ! We found this place on-line and were so glad we did. Had a few days in San Juan before a cruise and decided to check this place out on a Sat nite for dinner. We had made reservations ahead of time and the four of us loved it ! Would definitely go back next time we are in Old San Juan !Special Features:
- It was a good experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012It was a good experience, I was looking for a place to visit with Spanish Colonial look and Barracina has it. I look forward to seee it at day time. I like this colonial Arquitecture.Special Features:
- Beautiful open air courtyard,goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2012Beautiful open air courtyard,good fish.and pina coladas! Would return on next visit.Special Features:
- Hmm, well the service wasStratguyDined on 1/6/2012Hmm, well the service was awful. Food was good but nothing special. Flamingo show was horrific. Apparently they were having trouble with the sound system and the turned it up to compensate. Not good. It took 30 minutes to get someone's attention to get the check and finally I had to track down the manager. NOT Recommeded.
- Food was tasteless, flamingoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/6/2012Food was tasteless, flamingo dancers Friday night were interesting, though, And service was very good, friendly waiter
- Overall, I think that theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/3/2012Overall, I think that the place is overrated and without the cruise travelers, it would probably not have survived this long. As the originator of the Pina Colada, I guess that I expected a whole lot more from their version. Next time we visit San Juan, we'll try something different.
- Poor service throughout evening.BobalooDined on 12/29/2011Poor service throughout evening. We came to the bar before dinner...took a half hour to get our order and another 20 minutes before the drinks were prepared. Food service was rushed on the order taking side and very slow on the delivery side. Getting the a doggy bag and the check required more patience than I have. I would not return.
- Great Service and Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2011Our vacation to Puerto Rico would not be complete without a trip to Barrachina. We enjoyed Christmas Eve dinner with our two children (age 9 & 11). The atmosphere was very relaxing and comfortable. The food was excellent. The fish was cooked to perfection. My son wanted fish tacos which were not on the menu and they were happy to accommodate him.Special Features:
- juicy steaks!! best mofongoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2011juicy steaks!! best mofongo i've had. awesome pina coladas.Special Features:
- The whole team are extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/18/2011The whole team are extremely helpful, attentive and the food is excellentSpecial Features:
- Food was ok nothing special.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/12/2011Food was ok nothing special. Beers were warm, the fish I ordered couldn't be grilled since the grill wasn't working but he menu didn't say that. The water refill took a while. Best thing that place has going for it is the ambiance, very nice colonial architecture in old san JuanSpecial Features:
- Do not waste your time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2011The hostess sat us at our reservation time. No one came to our table for at least 10 minutes. I had to get water for the table myself while we waited. Another couple was seated after us and had their water drinks before anyone came to our table. The manager came to apologize and subsequently did nothing to improve our experience from there. The food was poor and we could not get out of there fast enough. I would not recommend going there.
- We were looking forward toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011We were looking forward to dining here due to the good reviews, and we were very disappointed. We tried the Pina Colada' and it tasted no different than any other I have had. The food wasn't good either. It was a tourist trap...save your money.
- Excellent-Authentic PR FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/3/2011Excellent, authentic Puerto Rican food. During our time in PR we dined at at least 6 or 7 different restaurants and overal this restaurant had the Best tasting authenitic Puerto Rican food of all of the diffrent spots!! Loved It!!! Our waitress was wonderful and the drinks were great!!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING FOOD & ENTERTAINMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2011The service was impecable, the food was delicious and the Flamenco dancers made the evening PERFECTSpecial Features:
- My overall experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2011My overall experience was excellent. The staff was wonderful.The hostess was very friendly and was very helpful with getting us seated promptly. Our waiter was also friendly and very professional. I was most impressed with the manager who went above and beyond to please my wife, infant son and I with the promptness of service and restaurant experience. I would definitely come again when visiting. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- I like the food a lot butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2011I like the food a lot but the service need to be improved. After waiting for the entree for 40 mins. the waiter never apologized and never checked back on us to see how we are doing.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the ethnicRitzVIPDined on 9/26/2011Really enjoyed the ethnic beauty of this restaurant. Old San Juan is a charming city, beautifully structured. I would definately go back and dine at this charming & warm rest.Special Features:
- We loved our dinner. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2011We loved our dinner. Food and service were both outstanding. And we loved the pina coladas!! Would definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Had a large group the nightPhoenicianDined on 7/30/2011Had a large group the night before our cruise, decent food, nice ambiance and excellent service.
- Worth the time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011Good food. Enjoyed the Flamenco dancers. Pinocoladas are awesome!Special Features:
- Great experience! A mustQueeniroseVIPDined on 4/21/2011Great experience! A must stop for any visitor to Old San Juan!
- Great Restaurant in Old SanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/2/2011Great Restaurant in Old San Juan. Long history in the area serving locals and tourists alike. The home of the Pina Colata!Special Features:
- combo mofongo was the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/1/2011combo mofongo was the best I had all vacation. Would have liked to see the flamenco show in the other dining room but the hostess didn't even mention that there was a show at 8 when she sat us at 7:30.Special Features:
- Hospitable. Great setting.DonaldVIPDined on 3/29/2011Hospitable. Great setting. Very good food. Would go back.
- They claim to have inventedMetroWesternerVIPDined on 3/24/2011They claim to have invented the piña colada, and I believe it. All four of us had at least one (I had two -- plain and Blue) and they were fantastic. The food was quite good. Service was delightfully friendly and perfectly attentive. The only downside was that they didn't quite know how to process my OpenTable credit check. I guess I was the first one, so they should have that sorted out by now.Special Features:
- A major bonus for us was thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2011A major bonus for us was that they will store your luggage if you are an arriving or departing cruise ship passenger. That was a real plus because there was no place else to store our luggage until we could get on the ship. A lot of people took advantage of this. We left our bags there and walked around El Morro and Old San Juan for a few hours and then went back and retreived the bags and went to the ship.Special Features:
- We had a large group includingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2011We had a large group including kids. The kids enjoyed fajitas and burgers while the adults were able to be more adventurous. Some had salads, others local sandwiches. My wife and I shared the house paella which was very good with lots of meat and seafood. Not formal or romantic, at least for lunch but fine for our purposes.Special Features:
- Since we were utilizing theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/13/2011Since we were utilizing the luggage storage that they offer for cruise passengers, we decided to eat lunch here. The food was just ok, we both had fajitas. I wanted to try the Paella but it was over forty dollars for two people and they didn't have single servings. The service was really, really slow on the day we were here.Special Features: