1457 Lincoln Ave
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barolocalistoga.com/index.php
- Phone: 7079429900x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angelo Chambrone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Let the professionals at Barolo cater your next event. From an intimate dinner for twelve to a wedding feast for one hundred, we"ve been a part of the Napa Valley catering scene for over thirty years.
A word from Barolo
Hearty Italian favorites including perfect thin crust pizzas, handmade pastas, house cured salumis and locally farmed produce, poultry and meats. One of the hidden local gems in Napa valley, located in the historic Mount View Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barolo reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)notable wine list (6)romantic (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Friday diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Waiter was over the top spectacular. Tall dark haired curly. Knows his business and the food. Over and above to accommodate. Will be back.Special Features:
- BaroloTammyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We came with a group of 7 and got seated right away. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious. The dining room was smaller than I imagined and so it was quaint, yet not at all cramped. The atmosphere was easy-going and the server was very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Excellent ValueMurdocDined on 8/30/2014There were three of us in our party and everyone had the same feeling about Barolo. Excellent food at a very fair price. We are already planning a return trip in the very near future to sample other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always perfectKG58Dined on 8/16/2014Found this place last fall after not being able to get into the other restaurant in the hotel. We've dined here multiple times and every time gets better. The chef is outstanding and the wine list fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable prices, good foodMlutz11175Dined on 8/14/2014Quite reasonably priced, especially for the area. Entree and dessert very tasty. Good wine selection.Special Features:
- Hip place for Calistogadamoses21VIPDined on 7/31/2014Cool ambiance and décor. The food was not that impressive. The sausage and polenta appetizer was tasty except the sausage balls were kind of over cooked and too crispy. Then we shared the lasagna which was nothing to write home about the pasta seemed a little too soft, but the nice thing was that I had asked about a shrimp pasta and the chef ended up making a small portion for us but the thing is that I had asked if it was spicy since it named some kind of chile in the description the waiter said no and it was definitely spicy. Probably would try one more time.
- Try the Hazlenut CocktailOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014Although my friend's vegetarian manicotti was very good -- in a serving that was "almost too big" -- I can't recommend the over-salty and burnt-tasting short ribs. We chose Barolo for the Osso Bucco on the online menu -- but it wasn't on the menu in the restaurant. Disappointing. Time to update that site. The hazlenut cocktail (gin & lemon, with aromatic hazlenut oil floating on top) was unique and delicious. I'd go back just for that!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calistoga CharmerJAMsGemsDined on 7/28/2014Delicious meal in friendly, welcoming and casual atmosphere. Be sure to enjoy the cinnamon donuts dipped in chocolate for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnclemomoVIPDined on 7/19/2014While we enjoyed the food and the wine and felt the wine recommendations were excellent, we were not impressed with the service. First, we felt rushed, as thought the table needed to be turned over and we would not be able to enjoy our wine before dining. Secondly, we felt that the restaurant catered to locals/returning patrons and that we, as new customers, were not important. That was exemplified when we stood up to leave and had a small space to get by the nearby table; the bartender (or manager) who was visiting with the people next to us simply did not move to allow me to leave.
- Charming Italian RestaurantVivaItaliaDined on 7/19/2014The food took a little longer than usual to serve but that's because I went with a large group and they wanted to serve everyone's food at the same time. The bread they served for the bread service was fresh and tasty. Our server was extremely politely and helpful.Special Features:
- Dining Excellence!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Thanks to Open Table we discovered Borolo's.. This is an excellent choice for a great dining experience after wine tasting in the Napa Valley! The food is amazing and the staff is very attentive to your table. They have a nice bar and a great wine selection too! Highly recommended and we look forward to returning here again soon.Special Features:
- Long wait, bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014We had a 7pm reservation which we were on time for. The place wasn't too crowded and we were seated immediately. After ordering, it took us over an hour (approximately 80 min) to receive our food. I have never done this before, but I almost left because I was starving! The waitress (who was nice enough) apologized once for the wait, but did not offer any form of compensation. When we finally did get our food it tasted as though it had been sitting under the heater for a half hour - cold and dry. I would not go here again.
- Great FoodMimiDined on 7/16/2014Excellent food. My husband had the chicken cacciatore while I had th sea bass. Both were exceptional. Our server recommended a good wine from a local winery. Perfect first night in Calistoga.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual nite outMangiaDined on 7/6/2014Was recommended by a bartender to come to Barolo. So we went on a Sun eve and there were plenty of tables available. We had 2 appetizers. The 1st were the Arancini which I thought were just ok. They were different because it was filled with a pesto risotto, but even with that it lacked flavor. The 2nd app was the polpetine (meatballs) which I thought were great. Since I cook a lot myself I could say they were great. Sauce was rich with lots of flavor from cooking low and slow. As far as the sole (fish) nothing to talk about, tasteless and sauce was thick and pastey. Our server was great ! Would go back maybe for happy hour and give it a try with just the appsSpecial Features:
- DisappointmentDined on 7/4/2014We were very disappointed because our Fourth of July plans had been ruined due to the restaurant being closed. Barolo should improve their online reservation updates. How can you leave availabilities for your restaurant when you aren't even opened? We made reservations for July 4th, and supposedly Barolo was not even opened.
- Great foodDavidHDined on 6/25/2014Dinner was fabulous. Great food, with an oustanding bottle of Italian wine. Servers were attentive and helpful. Our window table just topped off the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pizzaTouristDined on 6/24/2014Barolo was a good place for pizza, a little more casual than I expected. The pizza crust was thin and the toppings delicious. The corn topping was especially unusual. Overall the service was okay. The pizzas were fairly priced, though the wine seemed little high relatively speaking. We might return in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 64 reviews are from the Barolo reviews archive.
- Good, but not great.diner66Dined on 6/13/2014The best item on the menu was the Burrata, Procuitto, and Flatbread Appetizer, it was a delicious starter! For this reason, I would definitely recommend Barolo for wine or cocktails and appetizers! Dinner was just fair, I had petrale sole with white beans; the beans were undercooked and needed salt. My husband had the shortribs, they were under-seasoned as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteswedeforfoodDined on 5/31/2014I love this place. Everything I have had on their menu has been wonderful, and I keep coming back for more. The team that works there is great, and you feel comfortable and like one of their friends.Special Features:
- Amazeddk1134Dined on 5/17/2014The dinner was a special get together for some foodie friends and every course was a wow!. The house made salumi was outstanding, as was the salads, but the entrees really shined. The pasta and polenta sides were amazing and the meat selections were innovative and packed with flavors. While we were there, there were two large parties, so the place was very loud, so if I was there for an quiet romantic meal it would have been a lost cause. We went on a Saturday night, so maybe the noise level would be more subdued on a weeknight. I rate this restaurant as highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 5/5/2014Forgot to check us in on Open Table. Very snobish!!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/3/2014Eaten at Barolo several times and the food is always wonderful. It was a Sat. night and service was fair. Had to ask for bread 2x. Waiter never checked back between courses. But in the end the waiter gets tipped on the level of service. The food is always great and we'll return.
- Italian from all of Italykoel106Dined on 5/3/2014We arrived early and were seated promptly. The location is smaller than it looks from outside. Great antipasti was risotto balls served with rich sauce and cheese inside. The sole picatta was good and served with canalini. The short rib was melt in your mouth delicious combinded with spinach and risotto. Service was attentive but not overbearing. The waiter was helpful. Glasses never went empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EastersniemiDined on 4/20/2014Dan greeted us with a friendly smile, and promptly seated us. Our server was very attentive throughout our meal. Food was top notch as always. Chef definitely knows his business. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014The food was outstanding; quality style and presentation were of the highest standards. The restuarant staff were very friendly and attentive. Due to terrible traffic driving up from San Francisco we were 45 minutes (we called to delay our arrivle) for our reserved time. However, the staff was very understanding and handled the situation very professionally. I would, and have already recommended this restaurant to others as well as to the hotel staff at the Vintage.Special Features:
- A+ Food and ServicesniemiDined on 4/5/2014We could not have asked for a better place to celebrate our grandmother's 78th birthday! Our party received nothing but outstanding service from start to finish. The antipasti and bruschetta were perfect. My sister who is gluten-free was thrilled to see that as an option on the menu. The fried chicken was awesome, as was the petrale sole. For dessert we shared the best panna cotta ever, along with the house-made donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled asparagus, CaesarKittyDined on 3/26/2014Grilled asparagus, Caesar salad, carbonara, dessert were all perfectly prepared and delicious. Great wine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and servicesniemiDined on 3/22/2014Barolo has become our go to restaurant! Dan the new manager is very knowledgeable when it comes to wine, he helped us make the perfect selection. Chef Angelo Chambrone seasonal menu always makes for something new and exciting to try. We shared the artichoke with asparagus risotto which was the perfect size for the two of us. The roasted beet salad was to die for, and the presentation was stunning. For my main course I had spaghetti carbonara with the best house-made pancetta. The warm donuts and panna cotta made for the perfect ending to our lovely meal. There is no doubt we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent!PumpkinVIPDined on 3/20/2014The beet and blood orange salad was an excellent combination of flavors. We had asparagus that was the first of the season and it was "to die for". The main entrees of swordfish and eggplant with smoked provolone were delightful. Definitely will return there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular find!BobTDined on 3/11/2014Our party was debating about eating at Barolo versus somewhere else, but from the moment we walked into the place and with our first bite of the appetizer we were hooked. Unbelievable food and excellent and engaging service. Highly recommended and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top ShelfRichardDined on 2/21/2014This was one of my best meals ever. The food was prepared with care and thought. The wine list and service where tops. A great experience. A great asset for the city of Calistoga. A must visit when in town.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceClaudieVIPDined on 2/16/2014It was a busy night, we waited 10--15 min for our table when we already had a reservation. It took 20 minutes to get water and I wasn't offered another drink.Special Features:
- Great start to weekend get-away!ManariesDined on 2/15/2014Very good food, awesome wine! Next time We're in town, will definitely visit this restaurant again! We had a great time as we enjoyed the ambience. Started off with great wine. Our food orders came and we quite surprised at the wonderful taste. More wine and more of our food. This made for great start to our weekend get-away to Wine country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why?RjmxVIPDined on 2/14/2014We showed up on time and were seated 20 minutes later. Then Barolo reported to Open Table that we did not show up.
- Best Italian food in CalistogasniemiDined on 2/7/2014Once again, Barolo was spot on! We were immediately greeted and seated by the friendly hostess. Our server promptly took our drink orders, and informed us on the nightly chef specials. We started with the pulled pork and brussel sprout bruschetta - delicious. We were stumped with what to get for our main course, so we decided to share amongst the three of us. The thin crust sausage and funghi pizza was awesome, just how I like it. The short rib was so unbelievably tender, and melt in your mouth good. Our third choice was the pork osso bucco with polenta. The dish was absolutely stellar. We ended the evening with a drink at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef knows his business,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/2/2014The chef knows his business, food was spot on. Service was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calistoga's finestsniemiDined on 1/10/2014My girlfriends and I absolutely loved our meal! Our server was very attentive, and made sure everything was just perfect. For starters we shared the brussel sprouts, and the tuna crudo (which was the best I've ever had). We all enjoyed entree's off the new menu. The cavatelli with butternut squash and sausage was mouthwatering. The swordfish was cooked perfectly, and the blood orange and fennel salad was amazing. My orrechiette with kale pesto was simply delicious. For dessert we shared the light and tasty panna cotta. Bottom line if you're in the Napa Valley you definitely need to check out Barolo. You won't be disappointed. I look forward for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktail culture in CalistogaBayCVIPDined on 1/10/2014Came in for a drink and bite to eat during a long weekend in Calistoga. The bar stands apart from the typical wine country decor, & that for us was a plus. There were obviously a lot of locals and repeat customers enjoying a drink and we too enjoyed a few cocktails and glasses of wine. We shared a salad ("Barbabietole") which was very well constructed, dressed, and tasted delicious. The pizza "(Funghi & house-made sausage") however was a near miss. The dough had an excellent flavor and consistency but the mushrooms were over-cooked and the pizza was a bit dry. Overall, a pleasant surprise, service was excellent and we will give it another go.Special Features:
- service mindedBaroniDined on 1/3/2014The staff went out of their way to accommodate our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misleading AdvertisingWaywardWandererDined on 12/24/2013We ate here because the ads made it seem like a cozy restaurant. We were disappointed upon arriving to discover it's wine bar. Would not have been so bad but it's a small space dominated with a huge glitzy bar. There was nothing cozy about it. However the food and service were great.