Barolo - New Canaan
136 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Barolo - New Canaan
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barolonewcanaan.com/
- Phone: (203) 920-1515
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am-11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Barolo - New Canaan
Barolo Wine Bar & Trattoria is located on Main St. in New Canaan. We offer authentic Italian cuisine with a menu that celebrates the Piedmontese tradition. Our pizzas and pastas are made from scratch, in-house every day and our salumi, hand selected directly from Italy. Our dining room offers a full menu from 5pm and our bar area, open late, serves up thin crust pizzas, fresh shellfish, and other bar bites all night long. At Barolo Trattoria & Wine Bar, a glass half full just means it's time for one more. Come enjoy one with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barolo - New Canaan reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (25)notable wine list (24)special occasion (18)romantic (16)good for groups (16)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Stick to the pastasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/22/2014Second time we have eaten here and again the main "second" dishes disappointed. Pastas are very good. Pizza was unevenly cooked. Great potential at this place but need to get rid of uneven food and service Service was very so-so - nice waitress but took a long time to take our order and then the meals took a very long time to get dishes on the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JonnyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Barolo is a terrific addition -- the food was excellent as was the service--highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/12/2014Very good food and an interesting menu - I will definitely be going back. Excellent wine list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food was as good as I've ever eaten. The tuna tartare was incredible with the apples. The smell that hit my senses as I walked in was that of a kitchen that makes fresh pasta, and the gnocchi confirmed this. The waitstaff and hostess were very accommodating and ever present. It was also refreshing to be allowed to set the pace of the meal so that we did not feel rushed, even though we were not drinking.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner DisappointmentArthurVIPDined on 11/3/2014I went to Barolo for my birthday dinner with my wife and daughter. Cheese and meat appetizer was good. Dinner was a huge disappointment. Pasta was chewy and tough not light like it was on previous visits. Sauces were thick and over reduced. We started with a lovely waitress and then she disappeared; we were then handed off to someone else who seemed to be unaware that they had been assigned our table. We will not be going back!
- Great Italian Bistro and restaurantMDEDODined on 11/2/2014Excellent addition to the New Canaan restaurant scene. Very pleasant and relaxing experience. We had several children with us it and they enjoyed very muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding all the way around!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014My friend and I decided to go for a quick bite to eat and wanted to try out Barolo. The staff was super accommodating. I am fresh off of having surgery and still have a very hard time getting around, but the staff did everything they could to make sure I was as comfortable as possible. Offering us multiple places to sit and different chairs. As the hostess said "Whatever makes you comfortable and able to enjoy your time with us, we will do". So for me that spoke volumes. Our food was impeccable. I had a charcuterie (sp?) plate and my friend had the spaghetti. She also had the mocha crunch cake that was to die for. I have also recommended it to our Executive team at the office for work functions. PERFECT VENUE!Special Features:
- Bad steak experience.DandRVIPDined on 10/25/2014I ordered the filet mignon, cooked medium. It came out raw. I sent it back and it came out beyond well done to the point where it was barely edible. They should have taken it off my bill but they didn't even offer. I suppose I should know better than to order steak at a place known for pasta. The pasta my guest had was quite good.
- Fair, at besttcordsDined on 10/11/2014Entrees for our party of two were somewhat bland and uninspired. Server did not bother to review the chef's specials with us. The only reason we knew there were specials is when he reviewed them with the family of four who were seated right next to us! Which brings up another issue... Seating for two was "New York City style", which means the small table was crammed in between two other tables that were only about a foot away. No privacy whatsoever, in other words. I felt like I was dinning with the stranger at the next table (who happened to be very LOUD) more than my guest.Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodTommossiningDined on 10/4/2014This was our second visit to this restaurant the first being a wine and food pairing diner which was excellent. Service was excellent with no rushing to turn the table. Food was also very good with excellent selection. Enjoyed the night special, a spicy seafood pasta, while other members of our party had the seared tuna and the pork chop dish. Would highly recommand any of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurant!Grateful1Dined on 9/27/2014If you are looking for delicious food, an intimate dining atmosphere where you could have quiet conversation and sit comfortably, Barolo is that place! Fabulous food, attentive waiters and staff. This wonderful restaurant is not to be missed. The osso bucco and lamb shank were excellent. Extensive wine list, delicious appetizers (artichoke dish and meatballs (manzo) with ricotta were so good!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RalphRalphDined on 9/27/2014First visit was a good one. Food was very good but grilled calamari was poorly done. Remainder of the meal was much better. Wonderful knowledgeable wine service, choices and accommodation - went the extra mile and was much appreciated. Good place to try and return. Really thoughtful renovation.Special Features:
- Delightful Dining ExperienceSuziekVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food was amazing! Delicious and interesting. We were celebrating a birthday and they could not have been more accommodating. The service was wonderful. I look forward to going back and trying something else. This restaurant is the whole package. Loved it.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteKSBNYDined on 9/20/2014We've been to Barolo about 5 times now and have always had a fabulous meal. One of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but inconsistentUboatDined on 9/12/2014A little on the expensive side, but its New Canaan location probably allows that. Tables are nicely spaced so that you can actually have a real conversation during dinner or even during drinks at the bar. Very nice ambiance - very attentive staff once seated. Bartender and hostess were hard to find. Food was good but overpriced for what it was. Pasta served from the cheese wheel was an interesting presentation, but the taste lacked something. We ordered 2 desserts - unfortunately, the chocolate flourless cake was really dry - even our waiter admitted it after we left half of it on the plate. Service was excellent - attentive and not pushy. We will go back for another try - there is room for improvement but overall very nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, but...BooWhoDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, with good choices in seafood, pastas, salads. Very nice space, with tables set far enough apart to permit conversation at normal voice levels (a rarity in New Canaan). Although we sat in the main restaurant space, the bar area looked inviting and will be a good "drop in" standby. Now for the bad news: the service. Our waiter was not an effective communicator of the specials, and the staff did not keep water and bread filled throughout the meal. The waiter did stop by our table for literally five seconds, asked how we were doing, and then sped away before we could respond!! Again, the food and ambiance were excellent, and a more professional and attentive wait staff would elevate the overall experience.Special Features:
- A must try!foodie72Dined on 8/23/2014Thoughtful service which can seem slow but indicates that each dish is made to order and is worth the wait! Excellent pastas all made on the premises with orders for half portions available so one can try them all eventually which is my aim. The menu is just the right size containing standards as well as unusual offerings supplemented by creative specials. All together a very welcome addition not only to New Canaan but also to the Fairfield County restaurant scene.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014One of my student's gave me a gift certificate to Barolo. I had never been there before and was happy with my experience. Our waitress was friendly and sweet and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!CyndeDined on 8/16/2014Barolo was terrific. The food was great and our server, Steven, was outstanding! We cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- DeliciousFeedMeDined on 8/13/2014A friend and I had a delightful experience at Barolo in New Canaan. The food was delicious, the service was attentive but not invasive. The cost was on par with the food, location and overall experience. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Pleasure!marciaVIPDined on 8/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and can't wait to return, again. New Canaan has some wonderful restaurants and this is one of the BEST! MarciaSpecial Features:
- Splendid!WiltonFanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Always looking for a new trendy place for great food and fun. Found it all here. The staff was very helpful without being over the top which added to the experience. Recommendations were very helpful and perfect! We'll be back (and soon)!Special Features:
- Great Service, Average food, PriceyFoodfocusDined on 8/1/2014We were so looking forward to having nice and quite dinner at Barolo. My brother recommended to me and I had high expectations. Our waitress Lindsey was terrific and I can't say enough about her great attention to detail and follow through. The food was very mixed. I had the Filet and it was cooked great and tasted terrific I would recommend that dish to any meat lovers. The seafood was less than acceptable and none of the other 3 people in my party enjoyed the food and they left their plates mostly uneaten. The bread pudding was good.
- GoodToughCookieDined on 7/31/2014Very nice food & service very good. If they have the Sea Food Rizzotto with saffron on the menu try it very nicely done.Special Features:
- AwfulGlobetrotterVIPDined on 7/31/2014Staff is undertrained. We were told at the door to pick a table by a waiter. Never told specials, ordered Kamut under "pastas made in house" only to be told by manager when I complained it tasted like boxed pasta, that my waiter was suppose to tell me that is the one pasta under "made in house" that is packaged! Ordered a side of grilled chicken breast to go with my pasta and that was so dried out I could not eat it and sent that back too! Totally overrated!
- The following 64 reviews are from the Barolo - New Canaan reviews archive.
- Never disappointed!Luv2DineDined on 7/29/2014The good here is by far the best Italian food in the area. While I have been several times with friends, I finally brought my husband and smother couple. They all LOVED it and can't wait to go back! My only negative....we had a waitress who was not the most attentive. The rest of the wait staff made up for her lack of attention.Special Features:
- Nothing specialluv2dineDined on 7/26/2014There has been lots of hype so I was expecting big things at Barolo. The service was very good but the food was not. I had the Octopus to start. It was 3 small tentacles that were terrible dry and over cooked. The plate at Cava in New Canaan was 10 times better. For the main course I had tuna which was blah! My husband had the filet and he did not like it either. Very plain and not tasty. We left very disappointed.Special Features:
- First of many visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The name alone hints at fine Italian food & wine. The featured cabernet was excellent right from the aroma when Jorge opened the bottle. The service was impeccable, knowledgeable and helpful. The difficult part was to choose an item on the menu or try a special - hence, we have to come back and try something on the menu - the specials were great. The fried calamari appetizer was a keeper, but the pasta and lobster tail special was very tasty - the meat tender, not chewy and the pasta had flavor from the lobster and was not over cooked - a perfect al dente! An enjoyable night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at Barolo's MANGIARE!LouBVIPDined on 7/18/2014We recently had dinner with some family and friends and found ourselves immerse in Barolo's Italian atmosphere. From the appetizers (very fresh clams and oysters...cheeses and cured meats) and great wine ...we were suddenly talking with our hands. Great dishes and must try are the Risotto, Filetto,Agnello (lamb Shank) and the Vitello along with some very good wine (follow their recommendation) made our day. Top it off with some gelato. Mangiare del buon cibo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OK nothing specialjgp555Dined on 7/18/2014Food was OK not special. Service was awful. It was as if the waitress hadgone home. Had to ask another waiter to tell our waitress, we wanted serviceSpecial Features:
- great foodfoodlover50Dined on 7/18/2014Lovely restaurant, very attentive staff and the food was great - my husband loved the agnolotti and rest of us enjoyed the appetizers and entrees that were specials that night. Our occasion (anniversary) was acknowledged nicely by all staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MunchVIPDined on 7/16/2014This was my first visit and I was impressed with Barolo - it's an inviting space, the service was very good and the food was delicious! My friend and I lingered and caught up, not having seen each other in a while, and we never felt that our server was impatient with us to go, which we very much appreciated! I would certainly recommend (and already have done just that!) Barolo to others!Special Features:
- mellendkDined on 7/6/2014Barolo's was delicious. Expert, non-intrusive but well-timed service, quiet (we were eating very early).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MothermagDined on 7/1/2014Excellent addition to restaurant scene in the area.....have dined multiple times and not been disappointed. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely new spot on Main, New CanaanFoodloverDined on 6/28/2014This was our 3rd visit & we were not disappointed. Lovely contemporary & comfortable setting.We already knew that the calamari is terrific as is the eggplant parm, both appetizers. We would love to have the eggplant parm as an entrée choice. The lamb shank here is amazing & I highly recommend it!! OMG!! Large & cooked to perfection...so tender & delicious. Our new "go to" place for it!! In the past, I have had 2 different fish dishes..halibut [a special] & tuna..both great. Next time I want to try the ravioli. Nice martini list as well as lovely wines. The cappuccino is a bit too foamy in my opinion. Service was very nice & efficient the last 2 visits & we were welcomed back by our other server, manager, & owner. We did not feel rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth planning ahead!EvanLVIPDined on 6/20/2014We have been dying to go to Barolo, but never plan far enough ahead to get a table. Finally went and it was worth the wait. Spaghetti tossed in a wedge if cheese was tasty and fun. Kale salad was amazing. Entres were delicious as raw bar seafood lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar and serviceJohnnyDined on 6/19/2014Had a client dinner at Barolo on a Thurs night. The place has been remodeled and love the wine bar theme, particularly the 2 bars when you walk in. Really well done. Would have been happy to eat at the bar. Given 2 bars that mirror one another, no problem getting a seat altho I was surprised not more crowded. It will be in the future, I have no doubt. Food was variable. Didn't really like the seafood but the cheeses and artichoke were great apps. The pasta was solid too. We really appreciated the fine service. Place has great potential. Will be back...Special Features:
- MaychipDined on 6/16/2014Eric, the maître d’ is friendly and knowledgeable – go on a quiet night and pick his brain about the food or wine. The artichoke appetizer is different and maybe the best I’ve had anywhere. Our table shared a house made, meat ravioli that stood out, even after the artichoke. There is a nice choice of entries and the fish of the day was outstanding – light and flavorful without swimming in a sauce or butter as so many are today. The wine list had many names new to me - I asked for suggestions and tried a new one - glad I did, it was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- AlmostPickyDined on 6/16/2014I dined at the new Barolo on a Monday evening with two others. Overall, I found the service and dcor great. Food was fairly well prepared except my Tuna. athick tuna steak is tricky to prepare. I was asked how I liked it cooked and I said medium. The tuna was overcooked, sticky to the teeth and slightly chewy which indicates it being well done. Special occasion meal,otherwise I would have sent it back at $32. All else above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation confirmed-Barolo closed1007OhNoDined on 6/15/2014First, please note, Barolo is a terrific restaurant! Recently, in a spur of the moment Father's Day-Brunch 'call', I went straight to Open Table and found a time and table that was perfect for my party of 3 [at Barolo]. Yes! With reservation confirmed by email (all standard protocol for Open Table, etc.), we headed out for the short walk to Downtown New Canaan and Barolo. Upon arrival, the restaurant was closed. What? @@Open Table, "how does this happen"?I would recommend this to a friend.