barmini by José Andrés
501 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Bar / Lounge / Bottle ServicePrice: $31 to $50
barmini by José Andrés
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://minibarbyjoseandres.com/
- Phone: (202) 393-4451
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm- 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Fusion / Eclectic
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from barmini by José Andrés
Cocktails have always been a passion of chef José Andrés. It started over 15 years ago when he created the Salt Air Margarita at Café Atlántico. Today, José pays homage to the golden era of cocktails at barmini by José Andrés, a hub of chef-driven libations that serves as his cocktail lab for all of his restaurants and projects. A pioneer in avant-garde cooking, José's passion is on display at barmini as guests are taken on a whimsical journey of yesteryear via classic cocktails and ingredients. Barmini operates as a true extension of minibar, a learning center where chefs and bartenders collaborate and where heritage meets innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
barmini by José Andrés - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
barmini by José Andrés reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (53)hot spot (50)vibrant bar scene (42)late-night find (22)good for groups (19)romantic (18)neighborhood gem (12)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Unique experienceNovemberGirlDined on 11/22/2014We got the cocktail flight and they were the most delicious and most unique cocktails I've ever tasted. Peanut rum! Highly recommend The Garener and The Highlander. Such a wonderful combination of flavors. Watching the bartenders was like being in a chemistry lab, they were mixing up the most amazing concoctions with the freshest ingredients! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, tasty and creative.HappyDined on 11/20/2014My title says it all. A fun spin on cocktailing. Learning about marrying flavors and how they all come together to create something unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Drinks but an Event!steeletimeDined on 11/15/2014My friends and I had an amazing time. Every drink was brilliantly crafted and the waiter was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be open to suggestions and it'll be great!RoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 11/14/2014If you're visiting barmini, come prepared to try new things. We had a great time just telling our server some of our likes and dislikes. I definitely got steered toward some things that I would not normally drink, and they were delicious. The bar snacks were spectacular, of course, as they come from minibar! Definitely a special occasion even if you're not celebrating a special occasion. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and different.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014Unique cocktail experience. Enjoyed from beginning to end. Review I had read before going summed it up....although the food is just small bites, I have never had such flavor. My favorite cocktail was the whiskey based New York Sour. Bartender helped me decided what drink would be and good follow up to the last one palete-wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestfoodlover219VIPDined on 11/14/2014Barmini has the best drinks, the best food and the best service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Been hearing abouyt thi splace for a while and when I walked in, I was amazed. How beautiful this place is, how friendly the staff, how impressive the cocktails. This is a must do when in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!foodie131Dined on 11/7/2014Hands down one of my favorite bar experiences to date. It is not an inexpensive experience, but is worth every penny. I can't speak highly enough of this bar.Special Features:
- OpentableuserVIPDined on 11/5/2014Interesting experience. Drinks very unique and tasty. Food was okay - a strange bar food take on upscale cuisine. Overall, worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bar in town...ExclusivoDined on 11/4/2014If you like nothing but the best service, food and drinks, look no further than BarMini. Only top bar in DC were you can have a conversation without competing with the cheering crowds of a sportsbar or music from a DJ. Top notch all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly QuirkyTrishDined on 10/31/2014Since my sister and I were last minute in visiting DC from PA and CA, we were glad to get a late-night reservation on Open Table to try this hot spot. It was the perfect quirky place to be on Halloween. We both had the Jose Experience which included many of the more unusual libations using cedar planks, cotton candy and fog. In addition, the small plates bursted with uniqueness - if you go, you must try the fois gras waffle - OMG! Next visit, we will plan ahead and get in the restaurant but for now, we feel extremely satisfied in the barmini.Special Features:
- Not what you expectStargazerVIPDined on 10/31/2014Thought it was strange to get in via opentable. It is just cocktails and bar food. Was expecting the full meal. Why call it barmini? Just confuses with minibar. OK for a drink before dinner or theatre but not much else.Special Features:
- An abundance at BarMiniEastcoastFoodieDined on 10/28/2014After being led inside, the clean white look with whimsical surroundings reminded me of an inclusive Manhattan bar. The coolness of the place gave way to warm smile from our gorgeous server (he's married) and an amazing welcome cocktail (their play on an amusebouche). The food...more "tease" than "nosh," paired beautifully with our handmade libations...the cocktails are truly the star of this show. Diffenitely returning albeit with a little more in my tummy before coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails with a Focus on FuncocobingaVIPDined on 10/23/2014Wow! barmini is one of the most fun food/beverage experiences I've had in recent memory. Order one of the cocktail flights for sure! Snacks are "mini", but are big on flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, great experienceFoodie4everDined on 10/22/2014I am a big fan of molecular gastronomy. minibar is an excellent restaurant. The food was great and the servers are obviously deeply passionate about making and serving it. The only (rather large) disappointment was the wine pairing. We took the standard experience menu and the selection of wines on it was truly awful. Not worth the additional $75 at all. I'd strongly recommend ordering your own glass/bottle off the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for cool drinks specificallydclivingDined on 10/18/2014The coolest thing about the drinks here are the chemical, showy ones prepared by the side of your table. But there are only three of those (surprisingly) out of the many on the full cocktail menu. You should ask your server (ours was excellent) for specific tips about what to order if you're looking for a chemically gastronomic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehF00Dsn0bDined on 10/17/2014The drinks were really not that interesting and the overall vibe was that this place was trying really hard to be cool/hip/ahead of the curve. Overpriced and overhyped - I wouldn't come again.Special Features:
- WowMaxieVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have eaten at e by Jose Andres in Las Vegas and wanted my husband to share the experience while in Washington, DC. What a fantastic time we had! Brody the chef was lovely - warm and friendly - and the food was amazing. One surprise after another with great wine pairings. I don't think I will ever forget the rubber duckie course. Everyone sits at a bar and watches the dishes being plated - this is not the place for a group of 4 or more but for 2 people who love food - this is exciting and to be remembered for a long time. We went to barmini before our 8:30 dinner - another lovely experience. Fantastic cocktails and bar snacks with great bartenders who share recipes and are eager to talk about what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice timeFoodieDined on 10/14/2014Jose was our mixologist. Very nice gentleman, took care of us. One of the apprentices, Ashley, was hospitable and eager to learn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High End Product, Low end serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The reviews are tell tale. Very posh and high class vibe. Well developed and executed cocktails. We did not try any of the food. What was problematic was our server. I think she may have been new, but was lacking knowledge in the cocktails, spirit characteristics or even able to make a good recommendation to the customer. I rarely complain about service, but when the establishment is based on three basic things...1. Very expensive Drinks 2. Ambiance 3. Service/Experiencia, then the service better be on point, and the server better know their stuff. Also, please don't sit people in the corner next to the constant whirl of the cotton candy machine. Thank you.Special Features:
- Swankie with a personal touchLovenewspotsDined on 10/1/2014Unlike other fancy upscale places where the staff acts bougie and generally better than you, barmini has a classy environment with great decor and an amazing staff. I can't emphasize that enough!!! They made us personalized drinks based on our taste preferences and all of the drinks and food were unbelievably good. I'd definitely go back there and will probably do that tomorrow. It may be a bit pricy but it's worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Blondie2846VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great place. I compare it to PX (PX is better), although I think barmini suffers from too many drink options. Each person in our group had 1 drink they didn't like and one they did. The "snack" options are great - foieffel was amazing.Special Features:
- Buyer Beware!!EflatTuningDined on 9/27/2014I made this reservation four months ago THINKING that I was taking my party to the famous MiniBar for an important 50th birthday. The various warnings: "Don't be late, we'll give your table away after 15 minutes," et cetera pumped up my excitement. But I made a mistake that essentially ruined the night. BarMini and MiniBar are two completely different things, despite being only steps apart. What a difference the placement of three letters makes! A sad disapointment of what was to be a landmark evening.
- Awesome as alwaysfoodlover218VIPDined on 9/26/2014Bar mini is one of, if not THE, best bar in DC. They never fail to disappoint and the drinks are always superb. The staff is talented and knowledgeable. Highly recommended for a nice night of cocktails and high-end snacks. I will also note that the prices, while not the cheapest, aren't higher than most other cocktail bars and even restaurants serving mediocre mixed drinks. However, the quality is unmatched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mistake well worth itGWM2Dined on 9/19/2014I didn't realize when I made the reservations that it was only a bar with snacks. Not the restaurant. That's okay the manger helped us find reservations and walked down to other restaurant himself. Note you need to book the restaurant ahead of time via email. I'm a foodie and can't wait to enjoy The delicious bites of food in the restaurant. You can see the restaurant through a window from the bar. The staff here was amazing and very knowledgeable, I highly recommend it even though it is on high side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Barmini!StacbinDCDined on 9/6/2014Seating is very limited so I believe reservations are required. There are many, many drinks to choose from and you get to watch the bartenders craft their works right in front of you. Lots of interesting ingredients and flavors. The food menu is limited, but you go here for the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't pass it upNpcompleteDined on 9/5/2014Absolutely fantastic. I loved the drinks and the spectacleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bar in DCfoodlover219VIPDined on 8/9/2014The drinks at Barmini are the best and so is the service. You must try the avocado toast. The ambiance is really great and the décor is unique, modern and comfortable.Special Features:
- Great and creativeJeevesVIPDined on 8/8/2014awesome service! hope to visit again soon so we can learn more about cocktailsSpecial Features:
- Overall, awesomelindsaysarahVIPDined on 8/7/2014Loved our experience at barmini. The drinks were so unique, and the food even more so. The foiffle is one of the tastiest ways I've ever experienced foi gras. The service was so welcoming and helpful, with the exception of our assigned server; she always seemed rushed, would clear empty glasses multiple times without asking for new orders, etc. but everyone and everything else seemed to make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great places for drinksomg7Dined on 8/5/2014I love coming to barmini. one of my favorite experiences in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 3 reviews are from the barmini by José Andrés reviews archive.
- best drinks in townOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014beautiful decor, great service and inventive menu.Special Features:
- Amazing cocktailsalex3m3ti8VIPDined on 7/26/2014Such a fantastic event, drinking custom created drinks that are interesting, tasty, and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply sophisticatedDCSexyDined on 7/18/2014The understated sophisticated relaxed elegant vibe sets a sexy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.