BARMASA - Aria
3730 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89109Neighborhood:
Aria Hotel & Casino
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
BARMASA - Aria
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.arialasvegas.com/dining/barmasa.aspx
- Phone: 8772302742
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Tuesday 5:00pm - 10:30pm Close Wednesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from BARMASA - Aria
Experience modern Japanese cuisine, sushi and sake at Michelin Three-Star Chef Masa Takayama’s first Las Vegas venue. Continuing the tradition that has made his New York restaurant legendary, Chef Masa allows the inherent flavors of each ingredient to emerge undisguised. Key ingredients are flown in directly from Japan. Wide selections of sakes and wine have been handpicked to perfectly complement the seasonal menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BARMASA - Aria reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)special occasion (22)good for groups (14)notable wine list (12)hot spot (9)romantic (9)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Just okTrysomethingnewDined on 8/19/2014Pricey for what you get. All of the cooked items were delish. The sushi (tuna) was plain tiny and a bit fishy. Don't know that I would go again.Special Features:
- MJC808VIPDined on 8/18/2014Our server, Steve, was well versed in the menu and friendly and helpful helping to make our dining experience here great. I've had many uni pasta dishes but the one we had here was the best I've ever had. The fresh topped uni and addition of white and black summer truffle shavings elevated this dish to be an exquisite masterpiece! We ordered the fish cheeks and it turned out to be what I normally see on menus as hamachi kama (yellowtail collar). It was such a huge piece and delicious. We opted to have the "spicy" sauce preparation but it wasn't spicy at all, but was nicely flavored. The miso creme brulee didn't have a strong miso flavor but the bit of savoriness balanced out the usually too sweet dessert. A bit pricey overall but great!Special Features:
- Our Second VisitSweetDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Even better than our first visit, team BarMasa took great care to make our experience excellent. The food was absolutely delicious and I the creamy miso tofu is by far my favourite dish; the simplicity of these delicate rolls is the beauty of it. Don't let the price level intimidate you, the service is down to earth and friendly while it is absolutely possible to enjoy a meal here without breaking the bank, try the pre-theater meal to get a taste of a few of the chef's goodies or go during restaurant week (Aug 22-28th) and help out 3-square while dining at this wonderful restaurant!Special Features:
- Excellent StaffKarlDined on 8/9/2014Steve was our waiter and the guy was great. Excellent choices made by him across the board. Both drinks and dinner.Special Features:
- waste of money and timepickyshopperDined on 8/9/2014You shouldn't go!!! Too be priced at a premium and didn't taste as good as I thought.
- Asian tapas diningdine4funDined on 8/8/2014Food was spectacular. It was more like Asian tapas so we ordered several dishes and shared them all. Our waiter, Michael was delightful. He made wonderful recommendations and was quite attentive. We had beef sukiyaki rice with poached egg which was delicious as well as several rolls. We would definitely dine here again the next time we are in Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Rated, Over PricedLeavingVegasVIPDined on 8/5/2014The first table we were seated at had small ants (several) on the table. We asked and were re-seated, but there shouldn't have been ants in the first place. The food was good, but not unusual, especially for the price. Dinner for 3 with cocktails but no wine was over $400. Wouldn't recommend or go back.Special Features:
- Attentive staff and delicious foodLuvgr8tfoodDined on 8/1/2014The staff was attentive without being intrusive and the sushi was melt-in-your-mouth delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!Fun2EatOutDined on 7/31/2014Been to BarMasa multiple times and it's always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Pre-Theatre MenuSweetDinerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Go for the pre-theatre menu, but don't limit yourself to it. My bf and I decided to try the $59 prix-fix, ordering just one, then sharing a few different a la carte items. The creamy miso marinated tofu roll was freakin' amazing, the uni risotto was delicious and the uni flavour was very present, we had the kanpachi spicy roll which we both loved, the duck and foie gras tacos and fried calamari were probably the only two items that didn't get raves, but they were good not-the-less. The bento dinner included a serving of shrimp tempura, some veggie tempura, a small sea salad, 4 rolls (2 tuna, 2 salmon), sashimi and something with asparagus. All pretty good and definitely worth the 59$ price tag in such a high-end spot. Overall, Very good!Special Features:
- birthday dinnerChrisDined on 7/14/2014The menu was different than I expected - small plates, big prices. Most of the selection was very good, especially the duck in the moo shoo wrappers! Too many servers - wine, water, food, etc. I announced that we were celebrating a birthday and was disappointed that barMasa didn't present a token gesture for dessert to recognize my dinner companion's special occasion. Décor a bit more "minimal" and a bit cold, but a truly unique experience, which I'm glad we had.Special Features:
- Not Nobu Or YellowtailMelonieODined on 7/14/2014We went there hoping have top notch food and found that everything was less than stellar. The service was great, but great service can not make up for mediocre food. The rolls were sloppy not tightly rolled so they fell apart, and the flavors were simply nothing special. The miso cod was a pitiful knock off of a nobu dish. If you want great sushi and great main dishes I suggest Nobu or Yellowtail, which this restaurant seems to be trying to copy but the kitchen doesn't have the chops or the vision to pull it off. Both are superior by far and worth the price. This isn't cheap and not worth 1/2 the price.
- Good, not greatLeahADined on 7/11/2014Maybe it was because I had high expectations but i wasn't overly impressed. I would go back, because the food was good, but the ambiance had a little left to be desired and in general the whole experience was good. Just not great.Special Features:
- Masa?texas39Dined on 7/10/2014For a guy who founded the best sushi restaurant in Los Angeles by attention to detail this is a pathetic drift below mediocracy. Has Masa actually ever eaten the food here? It's an embarassment for someone of his caliber.
- OmnomnomDined on 6/29/2014Toro carpaccio with caviar is the best thing on the menu. A bit pricey though. Bill for four people was over $600.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's goodBobbyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Not the biggest compliment but I was expecting more. I was hoping Masa would be on par with Nobu, but......nope. Very typical sushi but worth the visit. I'm guessing NY does it better??Special Features:
- Fresh fishWatchkingDined on 6/5/2014I saw a recommendation on Vegas Chatter and decided to try it out with my wife. We travel to Vegas a few times a year and always try new places since there is so many choices when your at Vegas. We arrived at about 6:15PM and had reservations on a Thursday. It was not busy at all which I was kind of worried about it. But the waiter recommended several things and we picked some of his selections and added our own. The fish was so fresh some of it melted in your mouth. The only thing we ordered which we sent back was a noodle dish because it was too spicy. I would recommend this place and go there again. Just remember it is a high end place.$$$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ultimate sushi/Japanese cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014Impeccable service, first class experience. Wonderful, fresh sushi/sashimi, incredible sake and drink selection. The wasabitini and akebono are divine libations. Don't miss out on the Kanpachi jalapeño sotomaki with spicy potato julienne roll. Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014We were excited to dine at barmasa we Kept heading great things. The place was dead ! We're in Vegas we wanted a lively place. NeXT we dar down and they brought us water. 15 minutes passed by and we had no idea who our waistress/ waiter was. So we asked the guy that brought us the water, he ignored us and walked away. It was not a pleasant experience at all !!
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2014Quality of food comes nowhere close to the price. if you want to pay top price for sushi go to nobu you will be much happier.
- A wonderful dinnerJudyDined on 5/27/2014Bar Masa exceeded expectations - in addition to the food, our waiter and the excellent sommelier made the entire dining experience one of the most enjoyable that we have had. We are a group of three women, two nieces and an aunt. We got the pre-theater set dinner, which had several vegetable courses and some tempura, sushi and sashimi, and also ordered the grilled octopus and the hibachi wagyu beef a la carte. The sommelier picked out a custom, Japanese beer flight for us. The 3 beers were very different styles and just wonderful. Then with dessert (we shared the grapefruit granita and a chocolate ice cream with sesame seeds and crumbled cocoa beans) we got a very nice sake which we had hot (instead of coffee or tea!). It was just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy crap!SeanBDined on 5/23/2014BARMASA is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in. Period. The service was perfect and the food was amazing. Some of the best sashimi I have ever had, but go with Chef Masa's creations. The Miso Cod was unlike anything I have ever eaten. The ceviche was incredible. I would recommend this restaurant in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toro tar tarOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014We are in love with the toro tar tar, and we eat here every time we come to Vegas! Haven't had anything here that we disliked! :) our service was a little slower than usual last time, but even so, the service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Great food, pricey but you're paying for excellence. This was my second time there and both times I get blown away but the food and service.Special Features:
- Disappointing?..sgrant2493Dined on 5/2/2014We went with 'great expectations'. The appetizer, beef braised ribs were succulent and tender, probably the best part of the meal. The rolls were average, and whoppingly overpriced, nearly double of prices in NY City. For a restaurant that supposedly uses fish pulled less than 24hrs from the sea, the $8 dollar unagi nigri piece was ridiculously tiny, dry and overdone. The eel/avacado roll was decent (though not worth $28), the yellowtail roll was inedible, the spicy tuna roll was a far cry from what it needed to be. The service was good, though not outstanding. The two of us didnt really mind spending nearly $175, however the quality of the food was a far cry from any decent sushi place we have been to. Eminently missable
- The following 83 reviews are from the BARMASA - Aria reviews archive.
- Bad expirienceTopo14Dined on 5/1/2014The food was ok in general but they took ages to bring it and the beef arrived cold , they took it and brought like half an hour later . The ambience was impersonal and cold, the hostess was nice. We were expecting a lot more due to the name of the chef.
- Foodie1VIPDined on 4/27/2014Wonderful flavors. Food was excellent. Would dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sake CrazyHoosierDined on 4/25/2014I was part of a group of 4. The sushi was excellent as always. Three of us ordered the Duck Fried Rice. The best!Special Features:
- Bar Masa @ AriaBlueRibboninVegasDined on 4/19/2014I was a little surprised with the ambiance at this restaurant. I was expecting something Japanese traditional...but this one was really modern, even eclectic. The food was what you can expect from Masa restaurants...everything was good. And the staff was knowledgable and very helpful. I would definitely put this on my list of restos to go back to next time I'm in Las Vegas.Special Features:
- Good food but lacks ambienceBillDKVIPDined on 4/18/2014Good quality sushi although small portion of fish. The place is huge, high ceiling and no ambience. Not recommend for intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously expensivesurf2goDined on 4/17/2014I thought the music was way too loud. The sushi and tempora veggies were great, but $27 for spicy octopus when you got about 3 mouthfuls!! Really?? The place is just too pretentious. More food and slightly less prices and it could have some merit.
- Great Tuna, poor attitudejbcarronDined on 4/12/2014Wonderful sushi but the servers attitude was less than stellar. If she doesn't want to be a server, she should be one. Her attitude was poor. I rarely tip less than 20% but when service is poor and the server acts bothered or disinterested to work, maybe she should look for a different career. While I would highly recommend the food, I would give warning to anyone that I refer that you may have unfortunate service. We choose BarMasa based on a reference and to celebrate a birthday as a couple....we walked away wondering why the service was so poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BARMASA Great Vegas DinnerFoodieDined on 3/15/2014Group of 8 of us dined at BARMASA for a birthday dinner. The service was timely, knowledgeable, personable and the food was great. Price point was reasonable. I would recommend this restaurant to any foodie looking for a unique experience in Vegas.Special Features:
- Food was good, but...BozeDined on 3/4/2014Joined a friend for dinner. The food was good and service was great but portions are extremely small for the price they charge. There was barely anyone in the restaurant in a week where there was 150,000 people in Vegas for a conference. We waited in line to get in at every restaurant in town this week except this one. Probably 20 people in this restaurant while we were there. That says it all.Special Features:
- Was hoping the reviews were wrongJm09Dined on 1/16/2014I consider myself somewhat of a foodie so I was hoping the bad reviews I read were from people just not wanting to spend a lot of money for small portions of food, but sadly I was wrong. The food wasn't bad, it just wasn't amazing. The worst part of all was the service. When I am spending hundreds of dollars on a meal I expect more than "what would you like to drink" and "are you ready to order?" That was it. No suggestions, no description, nothing. Definitely not the service one expects at that caliber of restaurant. The desert was also very disappointing and I'm not sure I've ever been disappointed by dessert! Maybe the waiter we had was an anomaly, but if not I would not recommend eating here.Special Features:
- Solo at Bar MasaRickDined on 1/14/2014My second visit. Both times were excellent. The seafood is the freshest and prepared so it is the star of the show. Ate at the bar this time as I was in early. The bartenders made great recommendations for food and Saki selections. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor environmentRKimDined on 1/6/2014The food is excellent, also the service, but the restaurant is in an atrium, thus the environment isn't very cosy. I somehow dislike being in an open space, feels cold, uninviting, Food is fusion, if you are more looking for traditional Japanese, you'd be disappointed. Otherwise, the food is excellent, however, skip the beef carpaccio, as it is over sauced and kills the real flavor.Special Features:
- Too Salty Noodle, to Expensive,DKNYDined on 1/6/2014Big surprise for too much Much expensive verse service & quality of food is bad, unclear & insane food list & price.... So mad after business meeting with salty food, poor services, too much expensive everything.... due to Japanese food??? how about wines? also Very expensive with limited selections for CA, its not from Japan, why so expensive?? comparing other good restaurant?? Too bad!
- Expensive & small portions but goodRawDogDined on 1/4/2014We ate here on New Years Eve weekend, and had a nice meal. All of the food was very good, but quite pricey. The sushi was good, but small, with high quality fish and nice presentations. The grilled octopus was in a delicious sauce, but if it had 1oz of octopus total, it was a lot. The oysters were small, but presented nicely and quite fresh. The sake Semolier was excellent and made an outstanding recommendation to complement our food. All in all, a nice place with great food, but don't come hungry and don't expect a bargain.Special Features:
- OverratedMARVELOUSVIPDined on 12/29/2013This is such a waste of money . I am from New York and I have dined at some of the best sushi restaurants in my town. This place here over charges for tiny portions of food . The food here is average. Service was very slow also.