241 A St
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://barlowsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 338-2072
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday: 10 am - 3 pm
LUNCH:Monday - Friday: 11am - 3pm
DINNER: Sunday - Wednesday: 3pm-10 pm
Thursday- Saturday: 3pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Barlow's is a great host for your birthdays, holiday events, baby showers, bridal showers and more! Call today
- Entertainment: Barlow's has live Music Thursday thru Saturday Nights
A word from Barlow's Restaurant
Tastefully inspired, Barlow’s Restaurant was created out of a desire to bring a new and exciting neighborhood dining concept to South Boston. Straight-forward dining and service experience, our guests’ comfort is our absolute priority. Our menu features a unique mix of American dishes, both classic and contemporary, and an intriguing wine, craft beer and cocktail list. We are devoted to reinventing familiar comfort foods and a cozy sophistication. Barlow’s offers our guests an unforgettable experience in an energetic atmosphere perfect for special occasions, business affairs, a night on the town or your simple neighborhood haunt.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Barlow's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Barlow's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (15)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (5)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Service better than foodAuntBDined on 1/11/2014Greeted by friendly hostess and waitstaff was efficient and not overbearing/not too chatty. Appetizers (nachos) tasty. Burgers- not cooked to request and all over the board on this one for the four burgers at our table. Ordered medium well but could not even eat 1/2 of the burger because not cooked. Suppose could have sent it back to kitchen but I was afraid to do that. By the time we left, the Patriots game was in full swing and the bar/restaurant was pretty loud- which was definitely fun and OK- the only bad part of noise was having the loud volume on tvs during commercials- probably not possible but would be nice to have full volume on for game when everyone watching but not for the commercials when maybe folks would talk.Special Features:
- Great food bad serviceJoemDined on 1/10/2014My friends and I go out every second Friday of every month we are a large group of six to eight ppl. We had a great time the live music was great, all our meals were delicious. However, I felt the waitress gave us a bad attitude. It was something the whole table felt and made us very uncomfortable. I would go back and probably with a small group to see if the service is better but I was happy with my food and want to try many things in the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a groupSamGDined on 12/27/2013Just found it on Open Table and took a chance with eight people and had a great result. Nice appetizer menu, great atmosphere and the service and food were all good. Moderately priced - a couple of very reasonable special wine selections - and a real plus is the easy and convenient parking.Special Features:
- Much improved!MinXVIPDined on 12/8/2013This was our third visit to Barlow's. We gave it another chance because of the convenient location, and we were pleasantly surprised by the overall improvement since the last time we were there. The food was prepared and presented well. It tasted great. Our waitress was quick to refill our coffees and was present enough and knowledgeable enough to be helpful and address all requests promptly. The atmosphere was cozy and fun; the tvs were showing football, so there was some activity at the bar (during brunch), but it added some excitement to the scene, which was well balanced by the large size of the room, and space between the bar and the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open table on a Saturday night!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2013Walked in at prime time with a group of 5 and we were seated immediately. There were many open tables too. Food and drink were straight-forward, but very good. After enjoying a great evening at Barlows, I don't understand why the place isn't jammed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Saturday brunchA4BostonDined on 11/16/2013Had a group of four adults, four 6-7 year olds. They did not have a kid's b-fast Manu, but were more than happy to make small stacks of pancakes for the kids. It was quiet, the service was good and overall we had a great experience. Would go back with a group anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceBuffMcCloudDined on 11/15/2013The food here was good for lunch but the service was a bit slow. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2013Enjoyed Barlow's experience. Nice restaurant and good food. Have been here a couple times and it's always a solid choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food, Questionable ServiceMattVIPDined on 10/15/2013Went for dinner with a friend on Tuesday night. Caught the end of the Sox game and the place looks good for sports. After being seated by the host and given menus, the waiter immediately asked us if we were ready to order food. We were asked four times in about ten minutes what we wanted to order, without suggestions, or anything else. The orders came out well except for a side that I substituted, I never received. We weren't checked on after our food was delivered until basically finished. I wanted an additional glass of wine but the waiter asked about that after the plates were cleared which was pointless. Overall fine place but due to what I hope was a one-off bad service experience, I won't be returning or recommending.
- Not what I was looking for.TashaDined on 10/5/2013The hubs and I were looking for a quaint neighborhood spot for a late night nosh and drinks. Walked to this place from our rented apartment in South Boston and were rather disappointed immediately upon entering. (Spoiler Alert: What follows is my own personal opinion based on the one night in attendance.) It has a very open floor plan and a rather fraternity feel to the crowd and vibe. The tables are arranged around a large central bar, as if dining service is an afterthought to the primary purpose of live music and mingling. A rather pretentious crowd in an environment that felt as if it felt quite short of its target ambiance. To each his/her own...Special Features:
- A Charming Spot for BrunchPaulDined on 9/22/2013First time to Barlow's and we were not disappointed. The brunch cocktails were quite good - the wide range of Bloody Mary's were great and the Bloody Mary Condiment Bar was an interesting touch. Omelets were light and fluffy, with vegetables that were sauteed before being placed inside the omelet. The steak tips were awesome - tender with a tangy marinade. The French toast was fantastic - richly battered cinnamon bread sauteed to a golden brown - delicious. Great service - our waiter was attentive but not cloying. A great spot for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was there for 4 hours withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2013Was there for 4 hours with a few friends the other night. Service was great and environment was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Groups to MeetNewsgirl01970Dined on 8/15/2013Barlow's has alot of open space for friends to meet up. There is a large outdoor patio and inside has an upscale pub feel. The menu is diverse with everything from delicious individual pizza (shrimp pesto is great) to prime rib on weekend nights. I have yet to be disappointed with any of my food choices. Great spot- try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gone deafdisappointedDined on 7/26/2013forget about having a conversation of any kind here. either eat alone or stay home because you won't be able to hear anything your friends say. Simply awful.
- Superb Southie spotRandPVIPDined on 7/6/2013Had great group meal- typical American bistro choices all done well! Excellent bar & live music too! Check out freeSouthie Shuttle too for no- worry transport. Loved the total friendly ambiance and easy welcoming decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2013This restaurant is awful. My girlfriend is gluten-free, so we tried Barlow's, as they offer gluten-free sandwiches. That was all for not, as her sandwich was burned to a crisp. I ordered the Cesar salad with chicken...terrible. It was the worst chicken I have ever eaten in my life. It must have been cooked three days earlier, because it was so rubbery that after I took one bite I simply put it off to the side, in its entirety. When the waitress asked if there was something wrong, I stated just that...the chicken was awful. She simply said that was too bad and turned heel. No offer to bring something else, no removal of the charge from the bill. Since the addition of chicken was +$5, her tip became -$5. A complete disappointment.
- Mother's Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013I have been to Barlowes a few times to celebrate special occasions, mostly with family that doesn't live in the area. I must say that this past time I was there (Sunday May 12) I was not pleased with the service. It took a very long time to get our meals and when they came out some of the orders were not right. Our waitress did not check on us the entire time we waited and the restaurant was not that busy. The food was good, per usual, but the bread tasted stale. I will go back at some point and give Barlowes another chance, but I must say I was not impressed with this experience there, especially since it was Mother's Day and I was there for a nice dinner with my mom and by boyfriends mom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Good variety of food, well laid out, the kind of place you would want to go back to. My 96 year old mother even liked it.Special Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013A few tables around us were waiting around 20-25 minutes before their meals arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Southie FindOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/12/2013We had brunch here before the Fort Points Art Walk and enjoyed it! Barlow's is located right in the middle of the arts district in South Boston and was the perfect pick. I had the Barlow Burger which was good but couldn't eat it all so told them I wanted to take half of it home. They accidentally threw it out but was so sorry about it ! They immediately took it off the bill which I did not ask for or expect. Great service!Special Features:
- Excellent Mothers Day BrunchMadzDined on 5/12/2013We had a large group and a lot to celebrate, and the service and food at Barlows was flawless. I got the french toast platter - too much food, but it was all excellent, especially the homefries. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud -- don't botherMetroWesternerVIPDined on 5/9/2013The food was good, the service was fine, but it was so loud that I couldn't carry on a conversation with my dinner companion. The reason I went out for dinner in the first place was to enjoy my friend's company. The meal is incidental. In this case, while the food was good, it was so offensively loud in the restaurant that I might as well have been alone.Special Features:
- Awesome ServiceCaliVisitorDined on 5/3/2013We had a rather large party, they were completely accommodating to our needs. We had a wonderful night and loved the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs UpMMBostonDined on 4/28/2013Food and drinks were great! I liked that there was alot of space and they were able to accomodate a big group. Service was good but for a group of 13 we should have had 2 waitresses instead of one. Also, the wait time for the food was a long time as well. I would go back again, and possibly check out the night/weekend ambiance.Special Features:
- Food was great, and so wasJacquiVIPDined on 4/27/2013Food was great, and so was music, but WAY TOO LOUD. We were sitting about as far as possible from the stage but it was completely impossible to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Great food, atmosphere, andJCF13Dined on 4/27/2013Great food, atmosphere, and music. Only suggestion was that the love music was very load and started pretty early for a Saturday night (7:30), making it difficult to carry dinner conversation. I would recommend either turning it down a bit or not starting until 9. Otherwise, great experience!Special Features:
- Great food. Lots of options.yankeegirl2Dined on 4/23/2013Great food. Lots of options. Gluten free friendly restaurant. Service was a little slow and can be very loud inside the restaurant near the bar.Special Features:
- We stopped here for lunchJamesMVIPDined on 4/22/2013We stopped here for lunch while in town for a meeting. The food was good, and this place had a nice atmosphere. I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- It was a bit noisy but theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013It was a bit noisy but the food was excellent and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Third time here and afterRedSoxFanVIPDined on 3/17/2013Third time here and after each time I ask myself why do I go back. Convenience since I live nearby but the service and the inexperienced young staff is really unbearable. Food is OK not great but not bad. Unless you MUST I would say go somewhere else.
- Is it a restaurant or a concert venBroadwayDSRDined on 3/14/2013I was excited to finally get to Barlow's. I live in Southie. Always nice to find another local spot to hang. My waitress, while perfectly nice, was awful at stopping by or even glancing our way to see if we were ready for something/anything. We felt ignored or certainly, over-looked. A duo of guys set up music and played as if the diners with there for a concert. Hello? We were there for a MEAL! They were WAY TOO LOUD. I could no longer hear a thing my dinner partner was saying and we were three booths down the line from the musicians. I could tell everyone around us was annoyed at the volume. And the music start at 8 if not earlier; still well within the I'm-here-to-eat time frame. Too bad as I think I liked the place but
- Just moved to Fort Point,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013Just moved to Fort Point, tried Barlow's for the first time. One of the best burgers that I have had in a long time! Friendly staff. Excellent service, comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. We will be back! A great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- So we were going to a smallthebeornVIPDined on 3/1/2013So we were going to a small theater in the area and didnt want to park twice for obvious reasons. This is not a really active evening area so i we were pleasently surprised by the quality of the food, the interesting decor and the freindly service. No problems recomending this place....a little loud but just get a tabel away from the bar crowd and its no problem.Special Features:
- Drinks and bar area were goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013Drinks and bar area were good and inviting. The server was very friendly but the food was terrible for the price paid. We will not return unless I have already eaten elsewhere.Special Features:
- I hate to see this but ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/18/2013I hate to see this but our waiters poor English skills affected our service greatly. We received 3 wrong items! I would hope that they can remedy this quickly with additional training but it should have been clear to his supervisors that he was not ready to work alone. Our party had mixed reviews on the food from great pasta and salmon burger to dry hamburger and over dressed salad.Special Features:
- As a dining experience, BarlowjoejVIPDined on 2/2/2013As a dining experience, Barlow fell short. It is a large space in a renovated building, very high ceilings. The bar section is larger than the dining section. A band played in the bar section which was very loud, much, much louder than a "bistro" like setting. More like a bar/nightclub noise level. The food was just OK. Service good until check was left, then the waiter never came back. Looked like a very fun, active bar though. But for a dinner spot, I'd eat someplace else first, then hit the bar to watch a game or meet a group.
- I had high hopes for thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013I had high hopes for this restaurant as I heard the bloody mary bar was great, but our server was a bit rude, and made us a bad batch of coffee and offered to pour hot water in it instead of make a fresh pot. The food was mediocre for the price. I wouldn't recommend putting this on your must try list.
- Great Find in South BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/21/2013Food was excellent. Nice find. We'll be back. My friends loved the Bloody Mary bar; and we all enjoyed the berry shortcake.Special Features:
- Though we were thirty minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/12/2013Though we were thirty minutes early for our reservation, the manager greeted us and immediately led us to our booth. Beverage service was prompt. The menu was varied, leaning more towards casual comfort food. Decent wine list with some nice less-expensive options. A singer/guitarist was performing (Sat. night) - it was a bit loud but the bar crowd was having fun. Big screen TVs with football on. When there was a mix-up with our appetizer order, the manager came over to apologize and see if something could be done to correct the matter. In short, he came by several times to make sure everything was to our liking, then stopped by before we left to thank me by name. The extra effort is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- The food was great. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/5/2013The food was great. The service suffered slightly because it was so loud, the waiter had difficulty hearing us and got one of the orders wrong because of it (heard fish and chips instead of fish stew). We were at the table furthest from the band on a Saturday night and still had to yell to one another to be heard. If they figure out how to address the noise level issue, we'll be back.Special Features: