241 A St
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://barlowsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 338-2072
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday: 10 am - 3 pm
LUNCH:Monday - Friday: 11am - 3pm
DINNER: Sunday - Wednesday: 3pm-10 pm
Thursday- Saturday: 3pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Barlow's is a great host for your birthdays, holiday events, baby showers, bridal showers and more! Call today
- Entertainment: Barlow's has live Music Thursday thru Saturday Nights
A word from Barlow's Restaurant
Tastefully inspired, Barlow’s Restaurant was created out of a desire to bring a new and exciting neighborhood dining concept to South Boston. Straight-forward dining and service experience, our guests’ comfort is our absolute priority. Our menu features a unique mix of American dishes, both classic and contemporary, and an intriguing wine, craft beer and cocktail list. We are devoted to reinventing familiar comfort foods and a cozy sophistication. Barlow’s offers our guests an unforgettable experience in an energetic atmosphere perfect for special occasions, business affairs, a night on the town or your simple neighborhood haunt.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Barlow's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Barlow's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Might be good for drinks but horrible foodJavajunkieVIPDined on 11/15/2014The interior is quite nice and I could see this as a good place for a beer after work but the food was not good at all. I had the salmon with the pancetta/asparagus risotto. The Salmon tasted like it was deep fried (although didn't appear so) and the risotto had way too much pancetta in it making it so salty I couldn't eat it, it also had a slimy consistency. My friends had, chili (could have been frozen), wings (average) and (I'm not even sure what else it was so unmemorable). We would have complained sooner but once the food was dropped off we weren't approached again until it was obvious we had stopped picking. I told our server that mine was too salty to eat but didn't get a response or comment back -- they were not busy at all, this was at 5pm on Saturday so no excuse for lack of attention. There isn't much in that area so I would think they would work harder on the food, I'd rather go down the street and eat at Lucky's -- at least I know the food is good.
- great food, lousy service!BostongalVIPDined on 11/14/2014we were seated for 15 minutes before our server greeted us. we had to flag her down for everything
- Definitely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Such a great spot! Delicious food, perfect ambiance. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waiter! Simple food but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014I came across Barlow's when picking up a package at DHL which is nearby. $3 validated parking in a lot across the street, after 4 pm on weekdays and all day weekends. It's open, warm, clean and welcoming. We were seated right away. Our waiter David was exceptional, friendly and genuine. The chicken dumpling with sesame-ginger slaw was fresh and tasty. We tried the southern fried chicken dinner, and one of the specials baked cod dinner. Chicken was delish as was the mashed potato neither of us are big fans of kale...although it was nicely sauteed. My cod with a delicate lemon butter was wonderful and simple with mashed potato and broccoli. It's a great place for all and I would definitely recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Patriots Game WatchPatsFan67Dined on 10/16/2014Got a table with a group of 6 people and we were treated nicely and had outstanding service.Special Features:
- Great for after work drinks.Kenmore534VIPDined on 10/8/2014Lost of space, pretty big menu and good bar scene!Special Features:
- Nice enough, nothing specialksgshmoopsVIPDined on 9/28/2014Had a fine meal here, but not very likely to go back just because there are so many other more memorable places in the city, even in the area. Had the salmon entrée which was okay but over cooked. The boy had the pea ravioli which was tasty minus the fact they were swimming in a murky soup which seemed unintentional. The outdoor seating was spacious, nice when the weather is warm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will go there again!tastebudDined on 9/21/2014We went there for a birthday-party brunch and everyone enjoyed...everything! :-) Excellent food, great service, pleasant surroundings. I was very impressed when, a few days before, I received a courtesy call from the restaurant warning me that the noise-level would go up at the start of the Patriot-game. This is extremely considerate and was truly appreciated... as was our very gracious waitress whose service was impeccable. We don't live near Barlow's but, despite the hour-drive, would most certainly be happy to go back.Special Features:
- Saturday brunch / lunchCathygDined on 9/20/2014The menu was somewhat limited in the number of selections, but there was wide variety. I had roasted beet and goat cheese salad with a cup of chili. Both were very tasty. The chili was mild and on the sweet side. The best part was the Bloody Mary bar! There wer all kinds of pickled veggies to make your Bloody Mary into a snack. Pickled asparagus were my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Great price.CraigLVIPDined on 9/17/2014I was in Boston for a conference, so I was watching my budget, and I was pleased to find such a nice restaurant with good food at such a great price. My server Rosemarie was awesome. She ensured everything was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dinning Smile!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We had a wonderful time!!! Thank you! We had the BEST Server EVER (AJ)!!!! She was awesome which made the experience awesome!!! Me and my co-workers will definitely dine again!!Special Features:
- Bloodys and OystersBirdmanDined on 9/6/2014Great Bloody Mary and delicious, fresh oysters. Reasonably priced food, great service, parking street side. This is our to go place on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, forgetful kitchenMinXVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food and ambience make the Granary a hotspot on any day of the week, but the service has been waning lately, and during this most recent visit, the kitchen "forgot" to prepare one of the entrees for our group...Special Features:
- Great food!foodie4lifeVIPDined on 8/1/2014It was my first time dining here and it was a great experience overall. We shared apps, the calamari, wings and nachos. All were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Barlow's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great spot in the South EndDavePVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great spot to hit up on the way to the airport, if you have a layover or just hanging out in the South End. Great food, big portions and notable beer list with great deals!Special Features:
- Service Attrociouskinger14VIPDined on 7/5/2014Our waitress was too busy watching the World Cup to come and check on our dinner order. My fiancée's fish was massively over cooked and when we brought it to the attention of the waitress (after waiting for 20+ minutes) she just goes "oh" and brought us our check. Horrible service.
- Good food, great service.MinXVIPDined on 6/22/2014I was disappointed to find my favorite brunch item was no longer on the menu, but our very nice waitress had it made for me anyway. All around win. Two thumbs up.Special Features:
- It's ok - decent pub type foodSouthieDinerVIPDined on 6/17/2014Stick to the basics, burgers, flatbread, etc. Some dishes (lamb kabob sandwich) might be a bit too ambitious for this venue. Convenient to Channel Center areaI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch Meeting spotabdubsDined on 6/11/2014WiFi was handy for a lunch meeting/presentation. Food was excellent (fish tacos)!Special Features:
- After WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014This is a great spot for an after work dinner or drinks. Service was quick, the food was good.Special Features:
- Average but nice atmosphereHereToRantDined on 5/24/2014I don't mind bad service, but that combined with average food is a big turn off. I had a reservation for 6 people, and mentioned that we were there to watch a game. They sat us under a TV that had our game on. The waitress came across as unfriendly. Our appetizers were brought out with our main course dishes which everyone agreed was a little strange. Everyone also agreed that their meals were underwhelming. The only reason I would return, is that you can always get a seat here... They never fill up. Atmosphere is pretty good, and we thouroughly enjoyed the live music.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014The meatloaf dinner was the best! Salmon was excellent as well. great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchabbypbVIPDined on 4/27/2014I love this place, it's never too packed and it's a comfortable crowd. They have a great Bloody Mary bar and a perfect Brunch menu for people like me who don't love breakfast (or eggs).Special Features:
- Terrible service on birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014I went to Barlow for dinner on my birthday a couple nights ago. The server "checked" my ID although I find it hard to believe he actually did since he didn't wish me a happy birthday after looking at the date. I had a phantom gourmet gift card I was going to use toward the bill. I was told the machine was down for that gift card after the server had taken it with our credit card no problems. I worked in a restaurant for 4 years and find it hard to believe there even is a separate machine for this transaction. I asked to speak to the manager who apologized and repeated she wished there was something she could twice before walking away. The food and restaurant itself is great but talk about terrible customer service. So disappointing..
- Just OkayGirlInValpoDined on 4/21/2014Went there, atmosphere was great, service mediocre, and food was okay. If a group of people invited me there, I would join them, but I wouldn't choose to go back on my own. The atmosphere was a lot more with it than their service, and their food selections were upscale, but bland. Our server was bad, had to remind her to bring us our drink orders several times, they were wrong. Had to wave her down to get her attention. Not terrible, not great, just "good enough" to visit once, or if that is your only option in South Boston.
- yumjenjVIPDined on 4/19/2014Went here for the first time after living in the area a few years and was pleasantly surprised. I got the salmon salad and the salmon was cooked perfectly! My 2 friends also got salads and said they were really good as well. I'll definitely go back to try other stuff on the menu! Also, great friendly service.Special Features:
- Perfect for Large PartiesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Accommodated our party of 12 with ease, very friendly and attentive service. Food was delicious, and well cooked -- drinks were amazing. We had a few picky eaters and there was something for everyone. I had the Barlow's Burger which was perfect, and the Crown Maple Drink which was good, but overly sweet. Would definitely eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotBDdrewDined on 4/12/2014Just found this place on opentable- went with a group of 4, sat right down, waitress was there before I even looked up asking us if we needed anything, very attentive all night long, food was down right perfect. We went with a couple pizzas and salads. The pizza was done perfectly, the salad was huge and delicious. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Barlow'sMRoseDined on 4/11/2014Excellent service - would certainly go back. Cool up and coming location in South Boston. Very loud, large bar and live music. Don't got expecting to have easy conversation at your table. But otherwise go for a fun time, good food and cool cocktail selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 13LuvbostonDined on 3/29/2014I was really impressed that our table was ready when we got there. The food was very prompt and when we needed to leave our checks were a priority. I would also go back because the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Loved Barlowsluv2dineVIPDined on 3/24/2014I was staying in the area on business with a co-worker. We were hungry and had many items, all were wonderful, redsox egg rolls, oysters, beet/citrus salad, butternut squash raviloi, seafood special. Every dish was perfect, wish we could have eaten more. Service was top notch as well.
- Great bar scene, food not so good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014We got the chicken BBQ pizza, Korean pork tacos, fried chicken sliders, and fries. The only thing I would recommend we're the fries. The Korean pork tacos were horrible. The pizza and fried chicken were edible at best. The live band playing wax jog great but played enjoyable music. I would not go back for food, but might go back for a couple beers.Special Features:
- Always a great time!MistabouvDined on 3/20/2014I work in Seaport area and sneak over to Barlows every now and then. The atmosphere has a great, young professional vibe. The food is amazing, personally the boneless chipotle chicken wings are some of the best in town. Service has always been above and beyond. Highly recommended place for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteIzzyBVIPDined on 3/14/2014We went to Barlow's years ago and I remembered liking the food so we went again on a Friday night. It was bustling but didn't feel crowded and there was an awesome band playing. The food was out of this world - meatloaf and Fenway egg rolls - and really reasonable for the portions. The beer selection was great and the service friendly despite the slow down at the bar (it was pretty crowded so the table beer orders took a while). We liked it so much we went back the next Friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, wicked noisyx143VIPDined on 3/14/2014Loud Friday night, had to change table to get away from the performer. liked the fried chicken slider app & short rib shepherd's pie. Sent back the bnut squash ravioli as tasteless. Offered another choice but whatever. Liked the accommodating wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butternut Squash Ravioli...dshweezDined on 2/16/2014...do yourself a favor and get them. Great restaurant. Sort of a hidden gem in Southie. Great vibe. Loved the exposed brick interior and woodwork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good American food.newyokohamaVIPDined on 2/14/2014Great place, great location, very nice view of the city. The drinks are some of the strongest you will come across, try the Barlow's Manhattan, insane. The food, while not really adventurous at all as far as spice and cuisine go, was very tasty. We'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time, recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014My first time, recommended by my daughter, I was very impressed and our waitress was awesome. My daughter commented that the wait staff she had before was not as knowledgeable and friendly. I meet my daughter a lot in Boston and I would definitely revisit Barlows. I am looking forward to sitting outside one of favorite things to do so I will add Barlows to my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barlowsabbypbVIPDined on 2/2/2014I love this place, and always have. I went with a party of 9 for my Mom's birthday this past weekend. I know it was a larger party size but the waitress really wasn't attentive and took a long time to take our orders, that being said I would still go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two times a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014I have eaten are Barlow's twice and both times have been great. The first time for brunch and second for dinner. I am GF. They breakfast egg sand which on the GF bread was great. And the maple glaze pork was to die for. But my favorite was the chill! The service was fast. Our waitress was on point. The prices were moderate. It is the perfect date place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.