241 A St
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://barlowsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6173382072x
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday: 10 am - 3 pm
LUNCH:Monday - Friday: 11am - 3pm
DINNER: Sunday - Wednesday: 3pm-10 pm
Thursday- Saturday: 3pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Barlow's has live Music Thursday thru Saturday Nights
A word from Barlow's Restaurant
Tastefully inspired, Barlow’s Restaurant was created out of a desire to bring a new and exciting neighborhood dining concept to South Boston. Straight-forward dining and service experience, our guests’ comfort is our absolute priority. Our menu features a unique mix of American dishes, both classic and contemporary, and an intriguing wine, craft beer and cocktail list. We are devoted to reinventing familiar comfort foods and a cozy sophistication. Barlow’s offers our guests an unforgettable experience in an energetic atmosphere perfect for special occasions, business affairs, a night on the town or your simple neighborhood haunt.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barlow's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (13)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (1)romantic (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Slow service, forgetful kitchenMinXVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food and ambience make the Granary a hotspot on any day of the week, but the service has been waning lately, and during this most recent visit, the kitchen "forgot" to prepare one of the entrees for our group...Special Features:
- Great food!foodie4lifeVIPDined on 8/1/2014It was my first time dining here and it was a great experience overall. We shared apps, the calamari, wings and nachos. All were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in the South EndDavePVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great spot to hit up on the way to the airport, if you have a layover or just hanging out in the South End. Great food, big portions and notable beer list with great deals!Special Features:
- Service Attrociouskinger14VIPDined on 7/5/2014Our waitress was too busy watching the World Cup to come and check on our dinner order. My fiancée's fish was massively over cooked and when we brought it to the attention of the waitress (after waiting for 20+ minutes) she just goes "oh" and brought us our check. Horrible service.
- Good food, great service.MinXVIPDined on 6/22/2014I was disappointed to find my favorite brunch item was no longer on the menu, but our very nice waitress had it made for me anyway. All around win. Two thumbs up.Special Features:
- It's ok - decent pub type foodSouthieDinerDined on 6/17/2014Stick to the basics, burgers, flatbread, etc. Some dishes (lamb kabob sandwich) might be a bit too ambitious for this venue. Convenient to Channel Center areaI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch Meeting spotabdubsDined on 6/11/2014WiFi was handy for a lunch meeting/presentation. Food was excellent (fish tacos)!Special Features:
- After WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014This is a great spot for an after work dinner or drinks. Service was quick, the food was good.Special Features:
- Average but nice atmosphereHereToRantDined on 5/24/2014I don't mind bad service, but that combined with average food is a big turn off. I had a reservation for 6 people, and mentioned that we were there to watch a game. They sat us under a TV that had our game on. The waitress came across as unfriendly. Our appetizers were brought out with our main course dishes which everyone agreed was a little strange. Everyone also agreed that their meals were underwhelming. The only reason I would return, is that you can always get a seat here... They never fill up. Atmosphere is pretty good, and we thouroughly enjoyed the live music.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014The meatloaf dinner was the best! Salmon was excellent as well. great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Barlow's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great for brunchabbypbDined on 4/27/2014I love this place, it's never too packed and it's a comfortable crowd. They have a great Bloody Mary bar and a perfect Brunch menu for people like me who don't love breakfast (or eggs).Special Features:
- Terrible service on birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014I went to Barlow for dinner on my birthday a couple nights ago. The server "checked" my ID although I find it hard to believe he actually did since he didn't wish me a happy birthday after looking at the date. I had a phantom gourmet gift card I was going to use toward the bill. I was told the machine was down for that gift card after the server had taken it with our credit card no problems. I worked in a restaurant for 4 years and find it hard to believe there even is a separate machine for this transaction. I asked to speak to the manager who apologized and repeated she wished there was something she could twice before walking away. The food and restaurant itself is great but talk about terrible customer service. So disappointing..
- Just OkayGirlInValpoDined on 4/21/2014Went there, atmosphere was great, service mediocre, and food was okay. If a group of people invited me there, I would join them, but I wouldn't choose to go back on my own. The atmosphere was a lot more with it than their service, and their food selections were upscale, but bland. Our server was bad, had to remind her to bring us our drink orders several times, they were wrong. Had to wave her down to get her attention. Not terrible, not great, just "good enough" to visit once, or if that is your only option in South Boston.
- yumjenjDined on 4/19/2014Went here for the first time after living in the area a few years and was pleasantly surprised. I got the salmon salad and the salmon was cooked perfectly! My 2 friends also got salads and said they were really good as well. I'll definitely go back to try other stuff on the menu! Also, great friendly service.Special Features:
- Perfect for Large PartiesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Accommodated our party of 12 with ease, very friendly and attentive service. Food was delicious, and well cooked -- drinks were amazing. We had a few picky eaters and there was something for everyone. I had the Barlow's Burger which was perfect, and the Crown Maple Drink which was good, but overly sweet. Would definitely eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotBDdrewDined on 4/12/2014Just found this place on opentable- went with a group of 4, sat right down, waitress was there before I even looked up asking us if we needed anything, very attentive all night long, food was down right perfect. We went with a couple pizzas and salads. The pizza was done perfectly, the salad was huge and delicious. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Barlow'sMRoseDined on 4/11/2014Excellent service - would certainly go back. Cool up and coming location in South Boston. Very loud, large bar and live music. Don't got expecting to have easy conversation at your table. But otherwise go for a fun time, good food and cool cocktail selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 13LuvbostonDined on 3/29/2014I was really impressed that our table was ready when we got there. The food was very prompt and when we needed to leave our checks were a priority. I would also go back because the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Loved Barlowsluv2dineVIPDined on 3/24/2014I was staying in the area on business with a co-worker. We were hungry and had many items, all were wonderful, redsox egg rolls, oysters, beet/citrus salad, butternut squash raviloi, seafood special. Every dish was perfect, wish we could have eaten more. Service was top notch as well.
- Great bar scene, food not so good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014We got the chicken BBQ pizza, Korean pork tacos, fried chicken sliders, and fries. The only thing I would recommend we're the fries. The Korean pork tacos were horrible. The pizza and fried chicken were edible at best. The live band playing wax jog great but played enjoyable music. I would not go back for food, but might go back for a couple beers.Special Features:
- Always a great time!MistabouvDined on 3/20/2014I work in Seaport area and sneak over to Barlows every now and then. The atmosphere has a great, young professional vibe. The food is amazing, personally the boneless chipotle chicken wings are some of the best in town. Service has always been above and beyond. Highly recommended place for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteIzzyBDined on 3/14/2014We went to Barlow's years ago and I remembered liking the food so we went again on a Friday night. It was bustling but didn't feel crowded and there was an awesome band playing. The food was out of this world - meatloaf and Fenway egg rolls - and really reasonable for the portions. The beer selection was great and the service friendly despite the slow down at the bar (it was pretty crowded so the table beer orders took a while). We liked it so much we went back the next Friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, wicked noisyx143VIPDined on 3/14/2014Loud Friday night, had to change table to get away from the performer. liked the fried chicken slider app & short rib shepherd's pie. Sent back the bnut squash ravioli as tasteless. Offered another choice but whatever. Liked the accommodating wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butternut Squash Ravioli...dshweezDined on 2/16/2014...do yourself a favor and get them. Great restaurant. Sort of a hidden gem in Southie. Great vibe. Loved the exposed brick interior and woodwork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good American food.newyokohamaDined on 2/14/2014Great place, great location, very nice view of the city. The drinks are some of the strongest you will come across, try the Barlow's Manhattan, insane. The food, while not really adventurous at all as far as spice and cuisine go, was very tasty. We'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time, recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014My first time, recommended by my daughter, I was very impressed and our waitress was awesome. My daughter commented that the wait staff she had before was not as knowledgeable and friendly. I meet my daughter a lot in Boston and I would definitely revisit Barlows. I am looking forward to sitting outside one of favorite things to do so I will add Barlows to my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barlowsabbypbDined on 2/2/2014I love this place, and always have. I went with a party of 9 for my Mom's birthday this past weekend. I know it was a larger party size but the waitress really wasn't attentive and took a long time to take our orders, that being said I would still go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two times a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014I have eaten are Barlow's twice and both times have been great. The first time for brunch and second for dinner. I am GF. They breakfast egg sand which on the GF bread was great. And the maple glaze pork was to die for. But my favorite was the chill! The service was fast. Our waitress was on point. The prices were moderate. It is the perfect date place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service better than foodAuntBDined on 1/11/2014Greeted by friendly hostess and waitstaff was efficient and not overbearing/not too chatty. Appetizers (nachos) tasty. Burgers- not cooked to request and all over the board on this one for the four burgers at our table. Ordered medium well but could not even eat 1/2 of the burger because not cooked. Suppose could have sent it back to kitchen but I was afraid to do that. By the time we left, the Patriots game was in full swing and the bar/restaurant was pretty loud- which was definitely fun and OK- the only bad part of noise was having the loud volume on tvs during commercials- probably not possible but would be nice to have full volume on for game when everyone watching but not for the commercials when maybe folks would talk.Special Features:
- Great food bad serviceJoemDined on 1/10/2014My friends and I go out every second Friday of every month we are a large group of six to eight ppl. We had a great time the live music was great, all our meals were delicious. However, I felt the waitress gave us a bad attitude. It was something the whole table felt and made us very uncomfortable. I would go back and probably with a small group to see if the service is better but I was happy with my food and want to try many things in the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a groupSamGDined on 12/27/2013Just found it on Open Table and took a chance with eight people and had a great result. Nice appetizer menu, great atmosphere and the service and food were all good. Moderately priced - a couple of very reasonable special wine selections - and a real plus is the easy and convenient parking.Special Features:
- Much improved!MinXVIPDined on 12/8/2013This was our third visit to Barlow's. We gave it another chance because of the convenient location, and we were pleasantly surprised by the overall improvement since the last time we were there. The food was prepared and presented well. It tasted great. Our waitress was quick to refill our coffees and was present enough and knowledgeable enough to be helpful and address all requests promptly. The atmosphere was cozy and fun; the tvs were showing football, so there was some activity at the bar (during brunch), but it added some excitement to the scene, which was well balanced by the large size of the room, and space between the bar and the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open table on a Saturday night!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2013Walked in at prime time with a group of 5 and we were seated immediately. There were many open tables too. Food and drink were straight-forward, but very good. After enjoying a great evening at Barlows, I don't understand why the place isn't jammed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Saturday brunchA4BostonDined on 11/16/2013Had a group of four adults, four 6-7 year olds. They did not have a kid's b-fast Manu, but were more than happy to make small stacks of pancakes for the kids. It was quiet, the service was good and overall we had a great experience. Would go back with a group anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceBuffMcCloudDined on 11/15/2013The food here was good for lunch but the service was a bit slow. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2013Enjoyed Barlow's experience. Nice restaurant and good food. Have been here a couple times and it's always a solid choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food, Questionable ServiceMattVIPDined on 10/15/2013Went for dinner with a friend on Tuesday night. Caught the end of the Sox game and the place looks good for sports. After being seated by the host and given menus, the waiter immediately asked us if we were ready to order food. We were asked four times in about ten minutes what we wanted to order, without suggestions, or anything else. The orders came out well except for a side that I substituted, I never received. We weren't checked on after our food was delivered until basically finished. I wanted an additional glass of wine but the waiter asked about that after the plates were cleared which was pointless. Overall fine place but due to what I hope was a one-off bad service experience, I won't be returning or recommending.
- Not what I was looking for.TashaDined on 10/5/2013The hubs and I were looking for a quaint neighborhood spot for a late night nosh and drinks. Walked to this place from our rented apartment in South Boston and were rather disappointed immediately upon entering. (Spoiler Alert: What follows is my own personal opinion based on the one night in attendance.) It has a very open floor plan and a rather fraternity feel to the crowd and vibe. The tables are arranged around a large central bar, as if dining service is an afterthought to the primary purpose of live music and mingling. A rather pretentious crowd in an environment that felt as if it felt quite short of its target ambiance. To each his/her own...Special Features:
- A Charming Spot for BrunchPaulDined on 9/22/2013First time to Barlow's and we were not disappointed. The brunch cocktails were quite good - the wide range of Bloody Mary's were great and the Bloody Mary Condiment Bar was an interesting touch. Omelets were light and fluffy, with vegetables that were sauteed before being placed inside the omelet. The steak tips were awesome - tender with a tangy marinade. The French toast was fantastic - richly battered cinnamon bread sauteed to a golden brown - delicious. Great service - our waiter was attentive but not cloying. A great spot for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was there for 4 hours withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2013Was there for 4 hours with a few friends the other night. Service was great and environment was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.