1500 South Lamar
Austin, TX 78704Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barlataaustin.com/
- Phone: 5124732211x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Daniel Olivella
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Barlata Tapas
Husband and wife team chef Daniel Olivella and Vanessa Jerez bring northern Spain to South Lamar. Specializing in tapas, or shared appetizers, Barlata celebrates a culture that’s reflected in its cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Barlata Tapas - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Barlata Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (130)good for groups (73)hot spot (69)special occasion (56)neighborhood gem (53)vibrant bar scene (49)notable wine list (47)great for brunch (27)romantic (23)late-night find (14)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Dinner with friendsOutwithFriendsDined on 9/12/2014We joined friends for dinner and drinks at Barlata and weren't disappointed. The atmosphere is fun, but can be a little loud. The drinks a festive and the kitchen is very quick at turning out the plates. It's a great place to try different things. Our waiter (Eric) remembered us from our last visit and had excellent suggestions to try off the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningGatodaveDined on 9/11/2014From the moment we entered till we left, it was a great experience. Even te couples surrounding us were great. We loved our dishes and the staff. It just wasn't Spain. Who could help that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine restaurantmerlotgirlDined on 9/7/2014I've had consistently great experiences here. Attentive service, ample space at the bar, and very high quality food (read: the best). I only wish the tables were a bit bigger to accommodate all of our food choices but that's a wonderful problem to have.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceAJATXDined on 9/6/2014We decided to go there as a group & were very impressed by the courteousness of staff & they way they guided us through the menu.We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Tapas and great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014My wife and I have now been every week for the last month because it is our new favorite restaurant. The menu has a wide variety of options. We are making our way through it all. The ceviche is unbelievable with the most tender octopus I have ever had. Many people don't like octopus but give it a try, you won't be disappointed. The Gambas Ajillo is great (ask for extra bread to soak up the "Juice"). I could go on and on but you will have to try things for yourself. Be a little daring - ask for items you might not normally try - that's what you do in a tapas restaurant. I guarantee you that you will find something that you enjoyed that you wouldn't have tried otherwise. The wine list is great - ask for recommendations. Daniel & Vanessa rock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmh1VIPDined on 9/5/2014Great server and service, v mediocre food. Disappointing paella.
- good food, needs larger portionsjlynnDined on 9/5/2014Hi. The service was great and i thought the food was good. However, its pretty expensive for how much you get. I paid 11 dollars for 4 meat balls. It should be at least 8 to 10. Especially, if its a big group of people. Everything should be at least twice thw amount in portions. I know that its tapas, but i dont feel i got my money's worth. I will only recommend for VERY specials occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austin's Top TapasthoughtforfoodDined on 9/3/2014Barlata Tapas is a great addition to Austin's restaurant scene. The food is adventurous (tripe), well-prepared, authentic and most important tasty - I've yet try anything that I'd call a dud. The wine list is decent but the wait staff doesn't seem to know the list except for the by-the-glass stuff so unless you're up on Spanish wines, you're kind of on your own. Also a plus is that they have a small but well-selected sherry list, so you can sip a fino with your tapas. The room is a bit of a barn; it's not an intimate space. the sense is that a good chef set up the kitchen and the menu and left town, as they don't offer specials as far as I could tell, but he or she trained the kitchen staff well, as the food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Accommodating and DeliciousCarolynVIPDined on 9/2/2014We always enjoy the food at Barlata. This time, we were impressed with Barlata's ability to seat our party of six comfortably, and how efficiently they dealt with the birthday cake we'd brought. There WAS a cutting fee...but the server kept it in the back for us, cut and served it, and packaged up the leftovers, all with a great and helpful attitude.Special Features:
- Delicious tapas & paella!NeenzDined on 8/30/2014This was one of my most memorable meals in Austin! A friend of a friend had recommended this joint, and everything we ordered was delicious. The notables were the squid ink paella, garlic shrimp, the brisket with some kind of pasta/cheese, and definitely the service. I also loved the decor and layout of the restaurant. Very beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarlataQwik40Dined on 8/28/2014Tapas (small plates) very tasty. Paella (main reason I was there) was not so good. Got the Barlata Paella which had 2 whole shrimp (great for presentation - hard to eat), 3 clams, 2 mussels and no other seafood. The rice was scorched and stuck to bottom of hot serving dish. Would not recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JennJenninibblesDined on 8/26/2014Fabulous experience! Will return soon...very delicious and the place is just plain cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing TapasGCHMSHVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I dined here prior to going to a show at the Zach Theater recently. Food & service were both top notch. Thomas was our server and he was attentive without being intrusive, he had execellent selections for both food & wine. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Do not book with Open tableXOPENTABLEDined on 8/20/2014I recently booked a reservation with Barlata on line and they use open table. I received confirmation for my reservation. I showed up on time but the hostess could not find my reservation. She showed me her screen and my name was not on it. We took a seat at one of the communal tables and had dinner, which met my expectations. I have dined here before. After I arrived back home I received a NO-Show message from open table !! This problem is going to cost Barlata business. Open table sent me a message about some kind of dining credit and thanked me for letting them know I had dined at Barlata. I will not be using open table again. Just wanted a reservation, simple. I will contact Barlata directly next time.Special Features:
- Excellent Times 2CraigDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed Barlata so much the first time we tried it again and we were blown away a second time. Excellent food, service and a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurantBethDined on 8/16/2014Our group of 4 enjoyed a great dinner at B44 in San Francisco a couple of years ago. We were excited to hear that the chef had moved to Austin and opened Barlata. And it lived up to our expectations! The wine and beer lists contain several fabulous selections. We had a hard time deciding on dishes, eventually choosing the evening's special (tomatoes and figs with balsamic), the smoked salmon, fabada, brandada de bacalao, and mussels for our tapas. Every one of them was outstanding, but my favorite was the special. We couldn't resisit the lobster paella and it was delish. The rice was infused with a beautiful seafood stock (even though we think a bit more rice in the paella would have been welcome). The Torta Santiago was the only miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish food tourBudsboyDined on 8/12/2014Really good dining experience with excellent and informed server. Well-prepared tapas provided a fun evening of sampling things that the less adventerous cook would not attempt at home (at least not all at once). Certainly recommended and a great addition to Austin food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereLdiningoutDined on 8/9/2014We usually go out looking for a unique dining experience and Barlata is exactly that. Tastefully appointed, international music, fun and delicious menue and great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops in TapasluvsavoryVIPDined on 8/8/2014There were 6 of us and we had a great time. We tried 12 Tapas and 2 Paellas. All were excellent. This restaurant has gone to the top of my "go to" list. The waitress, Bethany was outstanding. She helped us through the menu and helped us select a white wine - the wine list consists of all Spanish wines - I was good with the reds, but had no clue with respect to the whites. I described what we were looking for and she hit a home run. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & feast for the eyesgreatfoodinaustinDined on 8/8/2014Everything here is tasty, well prepared and beautifully presented. Service is exceptional and the minute you have an empty plate, it is whisked away. Wait staff are very helpful in making recommendations. Love the tapas; have not yet tried the paella, which I hear is very good. Great place for vegetarians as as many options. This place is not inexpensive but well worth it given the high quality. Expect that 2 will spend close to $100 if you add adult beverages. Recommend the dark chocolate ice cream made on site for desert. Only downside is that the restaurant is a bit noisy and you sit very close to other diners. Otherwise, perfection!Special Features:
- Great tapasgininVIPDined on 8/3/2014Just returned to one of my favorite new spots. I wanted to try the brunch and was not disappointed. The mimosa was great as well as the poached egg and beet salad. Just a lovely preparation and plenty of food without too much.Special Features:
- Noisy and busyHumanfoodeaterDined on 8/2/2014We waited for about 20 minutes for our table, despite having a reservation. The place was certainly bustling!
- ServiceBethesp2Dined on 7/31/2014The service was great, and the server was very helpful and knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service, excellent foodcdiamandDined on 7/26/2014Our waitress Linda was superb. Charming, knowledgeable and attentive without ever being intrusive. She (and her two-man support team) provided one of the best wait-staff experiences we've ever had in Austin - and we've lived here for two years, and eat out at least 3x/week. Every dish was unique and tasty and the portions are very generous for a "tapas" format. This was our fifth time to go to Barlata, and we'll be back again.Special Features:
- Tops in tapasAustinlarryVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was great....innovative tapas. Service by our wait person Linda was outstanding. Our party of four really enjoyed everything. Overall economical as well.Special Features:
- PerfectNdlepterDined on 7/23/2014We were a party of seven and our waitress was awesome. We ordered 27 different items and everything was fantastic. The chef came out thinking we were a table of food critics.Very nice man and was so pleasant. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squid Paella is Divine!1PitaPicksDined on 7/22/2014Parking has never been a problem. That's a plus for any restaurant in Austin. Love being able to make reservations too. Our table was ready on time. The service was plentiful and accommodating. Our waiter made a suggestion of wine based on our description of what we liked. It was a great choice. We went back specifically for the squid paella. It is divine. Next time I will order it without the butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousCarolynVIPDined on 7/21/2014Barlata offers a selection of traditional and inventive spanish style tapas. Servers are always prompt and courteous; food never disappoints.Special Features:
- deekayVIPDined on 7/21/2014Came here for a late dinner with colleagues. Nice menu selection. The food was good. The service was OK, but sensed a feeling that we were somehow hassling the server. Perhaps it was because it was past 8:15, only two tables were filled, and the server wanted to go home early? All the food came out at once - even the paella. Even if the food is good, these kinds of things put a damper on the overall experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingAudreyDined on 7/20/2014We sat in the bar section. It was a quiet Sunday afternoon. We ordered from the Happy Hour menu. Everything was delish! A great spot to enjoy a casual meal and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and busy atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food here is really good. You can tell they have great chefs working in the kitchen. The place got a little noisy, but it was a Saturday night in an open area restaurant. I would recommend this place for a nice date night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/19/2014Made me feel like being in Barcelona again. Absolutely excellent food and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDinerDined on 7/17/2014The service was excellent. Our waiter knew the menu and made good recommendations for the food and wine. Highly recommend! This was the second time we had introduced a couple to this restaurant and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapashomechef61Dined on 7/12/2014The food was quite good, the menu was very diverse. Nice wine list, although since this is a Spanish style tapas place an affordable jarra of red table wine would not have been out of place. The calamares could have used a little less heat but they were perfectly cooked and the aoli cut the heat nicely. The oxtails were excellent and my husband raved about the lamb brochette. My only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:
- Great place, again and again...WorldFoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Always great!! Real good Spanish food, in a great modern setting with a great vibe and city feel. Love the place, the friendly service and the cosmo feeling in Austin. Definitively recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapa'sFoodieDined on 7/11/2014Loved this place. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and make point on recommendations. We had grilled octopus, ceviche, the smoked quail, and the ox tail plates. All was memorable but the ox tail was off the hook. The flan for dessert was tabbed as "the best I've ever had". Can't go wrong here. Prices are a bit high but the quality of the food makes it well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticleeleeDined on 7/8/2014Great service! Mussels in escabeche: sweetness from the caramelized onions complimented the escabeche sauce. Bacalao: Vinegary and salty, beats the heat. Octopus: tender, great flavor Boquerones: If you like white anchovies you'll love this Seared Iberico tenderloin: Wow. best thing we had Morcilla sausage: Best blood sausage I've ever had. Period Quail: cooked to perfection. Arroz Negre: fantastic. Rich and delicious. If you don't like squid ink, try it again Dark Chocolate icecream: we paired this with the a port. YUMZ Crema Catalana: it's like a creme brûlée, but better. We paired this with the Lustau. OMG MeilyMato: goat cheese cheese cake. paired this with an oloroso, made the dessert taste a little like pecan pie.Special Features:
- Tapas brunch? Yes!lonestarDined on 7/6/2014We enjoyed a leisurely brunch sampling several dishes. The bravas and pulpo are fab!The restaurant wasn't very crowded, but I bet that will change as word of this unique brunch gets around. A wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True tapas vs. look-alikeShellyJKDined on 7/5/2014Food seemed authentic Spanish with a twist. I was surprised at the items that were my favorites! Salmon crudo a must! Goat cheese mousse dessert also a favorite. Loud, but cheery and cool modern vibe. Waitress was great. Appreciated the attempt to keep it all regional to Spain and Portugal instead of varying too much...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Tapas and WinegreatfirstdateDined on 6/29/2014Barlata on South Lamar is a wonderful place! The wide selection and types of tapas are wonderful and the waitress was super helpful. Not being too familiar with Spanish wines she also guided us to an fantastic selection. Overall our variety of tapas and wine were fantastic. We topped off the night with some amazing desserts and enjoyed every bite! Looking forward to visiting again. This could become a regular location for us!Special Features: