Barking Crab Seafood & Bar
151 Swinburne Row
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Barking Crab Seafood & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barkingcrab.com/
- Phone: (401) 846-2722
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30 - 9:00
Friday - Saturday: 11:30- 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We feature seating from 40-400. In-season we accept private parties in the outdoor section of the restaurant for groups of 100+. The inside portion of the restaurant is available for private parties anywhere from a party of 20 to a full buyout which can accommodate 250.
- Private Party Contact: Renee Cortellessa 4018462722x
- Cross Street: Thames
- Public Transit: The Barking Crab is located just two short blocks south of Newport's Gateway Center on America's Cup.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We do validate parking for the lot directly in front of The Barking Crab for your first 2 hours. You will see our sign at the entrance. Additionally, there are multiple metered spots and public lots that can be accessed off of Thames St.
A word from Barking Crab Seafood & Bar
Barkinig Crab Seafood & Bar is the sister restaurant of the legendary Barking Crab in Boston. Opened in July of 2007, Barkinig Crab Seafood & Bar is centrally located on America's Cup blvd. in the Brick Marketplace retail district just one block off the waterfront. At The Barking Crab you will find New England cuisine at its best. We feature crabs including snow, dungeness, and king, as well as whole crabs when in season. We also feature live lobsters of all sizes. The menu also includes traditional favorites including lobster rolls, fried clams and seafood platters, beer-battered fish and chips, and for the land lover, Bone-In Ribeye. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating as well as 2 full-service bars and a raw bar. The main bar has 2 large screen plasma tv's perfect for game day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barking Crab Seafood & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Very DisappointedHooley2014Dined on 11/21/2014Overpriced considering the food and decor. Expected much more from both. Service was very attentive. One person in our large party could not eat seafood and ordered the only steak on the menu. This was a pitiful piece of meat. Stuffed lobster was dry and over cooked. The breading mix was a simple concoction that was actually burned. The Barking Crab was, by far, the worst Newport restaurant we visited during our 4 day stay.Special Features:
- foodVIPDined on 10/13/2014We were hesitant with some of the other reviews but decided to try Barking Crab anyway. Glad we did. The food was excellent! Service was a little slow but we were in no hurry and our waiter was very friendly. We had the clam chowder and it was awesome. Clams on the half shell and the lobster roll with drawn butter were perfect!Special Features:
- MediocreJudyDined on 10/6/2014The food was mediocre at best. Should have known because there were no cars in the parking lot!
- Wanted something different.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Our lunch at the barking crab was great! We wanted a yummy lunch that would hold us over for a later late dinner. We had bairdi crab legs and fish and chips. The crab legs were sweet and fish and chips had a nice light batter that was delicious! The party next to us ordered the seafood platter. It was impressive! So if you looking not your adverage seafood with a great view and great indoor decor this is the place to go. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/11/2014Not my type of place. Urban rustic roes not appeal to me. Picnic benches and plastic utensils at a lobster pound on the coast is ok, not in the middle of the city but that's just me. The place appears to be quite popular.Special Features:
- The following 131 reviews are from the Barking Crab Seafood & Bar reviews archive.
- high prices average foodcwc2241Dined on 5/10/2014The food is just average with high prices. I received a lobster that still had the eggs in the tail. Asked for a new one because it tasted odd and it was refused even though I paid $42 for a 2lb lobster.
- Typical Seafood FarekhelenmackDined on 5/8/2014There were four of us for a noon reservation. We were seated at a table but felt crowded during the meal, a booth would have been more appropriate. Service was excellent. Seafood casserole had a thick dressing burying the seafood, lighter breadcrumbs would have been tastier. Fisher men's platter was good sized and tasty. Special surf and turf sandwich was a burger with lobster on top. Three good sized pieces of lobster. Crabmeat sandwich looked delicious. I had brought visitors from out of town and they enjoyed it. Waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will back.RobertDined on 4/20/2014We went on Easter Day while in the area. I had the clambake, it was just what I had hoped for. My wife had lobster Mac and cheese, a special for the day. It had enough lobster, and good sized pieces that she couldn't finish, so I did. My daughters raved about what they had but I don't recall what it was called, sharing was minimal in their part. Our waitress checked on us frequently and was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for People with AllergiesVirtualmrxDined on 3/30/2014I was very impressed with the care they took in dealing with food allergies. The food was fresh and good and the staff was very nice. The atmosphere is very cheerful and it was a great place to bring teenagers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch experience!!VeronicaVIPDined on 3/22/2014We had a great lunch on our recent mini get away to Newport. The food was delicious. The atmosphere fun. Would love to go back for dinner soon. I would highly recommend this place to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad.SantaDined on 3/7/2014Went with group of 8 gents during a conf over at the Marriot. Folks are very friendly there.. no problem with service what so ever. Was surprised it was so quiet on a Friday night. Plenty of Beer and drinks, wide selection, great bar. I think the general consensous with all the meals was "it was good", nobody really overly impressed other than a great place to grab a couple drinks and then convienent to grab dinner. We all thought the menu was somewhat limited... though it is definitly a seafood place so cant complain too much. Decor was great and as I mentioned service was friendly and very attentive. I would give it a 7 out of 10. I would definitly give it another try during the nice weather, outside seating looked fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of NewportNikeBoSoxDined on 2/27/2014We went to the Barking Crab with friends on a Thursday evening. Their menu was diverse and covered many seafood items expected of a quality restaurant. They also had an abundant wine and drink list, as well as various beers. We all got some form of lobster and it was delicious, rivaling the best that can be had in Maine, lobster capital of the world (IMO). The service was quick and friendly, as was the food. Overall it was a great experience. We will definitely be going back. IF there was ANY negatives, it was that there was ice on the accessible ramp and even though we brought it to their attention, that ice was still untreated when we left making it a safety hazard for those using the ramp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemoriesValentineDinerDined on 2/14/2014I brought my girlfriend back here because this was the place I first took her the day we officially started dating. So it had sentimental value for us. The food was excellent and our waitress was so sweet and nice. The only problem I had was with the hostess. She wasn't very pleasant. Other than that, an overall great experienceSpecial Features:
- Good meal, good service. TookfoodiehubDined on 2/14/2014Good meal, good service. Took advantage of special Valentine menu. Nice variety of options. Food was ok--both of us had steak and lobster tail. My tail was difficult to get out of the shell and steak was just bland.Special Features:
- Great time!LunchLadiesDined on 2/8/2014Food was excellent, service was the best! One of our party has severe allergies and the staff was very concerned in preparing a tasty meal that was suitable. The parking was easy (a plus for Newport) and free. We will definitely make a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood-Comfort FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2014Yummy lobster macaroni & cheese and new approaches with seafood on some traditional dishes. We caught them on a slower night in the winter so I can't testify to what it would be like when it's warmer and much busier. If you like the Boston original, you'll love this too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring your shovelLouInPortsmouthVIPDined on 1/4/2014Parking lot was plowed. Walkway to the entrance was shoveled. -- But you couldn't get from one to the other without having to climb through the piled up snow. I pointed the problem out when I arrived at the reception desk. On the way out, the manager mentioned he went out and salted the walkway again. -- Solving the wrong problem! We had to climb through the snow bank again to get to our car.Special Features:
- Lovely Place - Excellent food!JcoutoDined on 12/8/2013The ambience was gorgeous (it is Christmas time) and the food was great. Menu options were plentiful and wide variety of beer - local and national brands. Overall - terrific and will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood!MoveMe2VIPDined on 12/7/2013Had the Bairdi Crab legs, did not disappoint. Server was pleasant and attentive to our needs. White chowder was very good , not to thick. Will dine here again.Special Features:
- SeafoodDebsDined on 12/7/2013The lobster Mac and cheese was amazing. Very tasty with the toasted bread crumbs on top and big pieces of lobster. On the other hand it was hard to get meat out of the crabs, but what there was was tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the fooddonnaDined on 11/19/2013We were there during the winter season so there were not a lot of people there. That meant we had very individualized attention from our server. He took some time to stop and chat about the area and gave us his favorite picks off the menu. The fried clams were very good. Nice and sweet. Great meal. Also had the clam chowder, was also good. The wedge salad was amazing. There were huge chunks of blue cheese. I found out the dressing is made home made on premises. Desserts were very tempting but didn't have any room to eat any. My husband had a hot apple cider with bourbon and he said it was very good. He had the seafood casserole that he said was also very good. All in all a great meal. Definitely recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, basic food and ServiceBDdinners2VIPDined on 11/9/2013The variety of fish options is great and there is something for everyone, including those who do not like fish. The service was quick and the managers paid close attention to dinners needs. Portions are large so appetizers may not be needed for small eaters. Wonderful friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wasn't the best!amy1977VIPDined on 10/13/2013The food at the Barking Crab in Newport was fair. There are quite a few much better restaurants in the Newport, Rhode Island Area.
- Fish & ChipslaughlicVIPDined on 10/7/2013Every bit eaten. Loved the lighting and the open air space. Very creative. Two hour validated parking was handy.Special Features:
- Overpriced, Mediocre FoodWindyriseDined on 9/7/2013Not worth wasting a meal here when there are so many other choices in NewportSpecial Features:
- great for kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2013TheBarking Crab was great! Food was fantastic, especially if you are looking for fried seafood. The restaurant was not busy so we had great service and they were very accomodating to the young child we had with us. Would definitely visit again for a family lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was great for a family dinner,VISITNPDined on 8/20/2013Was great for a family dinner, but based on the time you go would be fit for all kids of folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic sort of place - wouldn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2013Basic sort of place - wouldn't go for the ambience but would definitely go for excellent crab! My husband and I quietly polished off a 3 lb bucket of red crabs. Nothing left! No need for any starters or dessert. The place delivered excellent crab and that in the end is what makes the place worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in Newport!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013We have dined at the Barking Crab on several occasions...always have great service and wonderful food. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood by the seakhelenmackDined on 5/17/2013Took a group of foreign exchange students for lunch. Great time. Waitress was very patient with questions. Drinks constantly filled. Lots of attention paid to us. Ate outside on a lovely day. Food was plentiful and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced And OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2013The food was way overpriced for what we got. I took my mom out for a post Mothers' Day brunch on 5/16/13 and she and I decided to split the New England Boil Pot which is supposed to feed 1-4 people. It just barely fed two. There was a tiny, pathetic little lobster with hardly any meat in the tail, two halves of a small corn cob, three really small potatoes, one hot dog, and maybe one link of chourico. A handful of clams and most weren't even open. One I couldn't even pry open. It tasted ok, but in no way was worth $50! They should warn folks on their site that they do not take Discover too. Thankfully, I had my Visa debit to back me up! How embarrassing! And the service? Meh.
- Crabs are bestugabooVIPDined on 5/14/2013We come here for crabs! The fried clams are great too but the crab legs are awesome. We ordered a couple pounds of the Bairdi and snow crab legs and there cooked perfectly, and so sweet and tasty. We had the buffalo scallop app and it was out of this world! They were spicy, with a little tang and melt in your mouth delicious!Special Features:
- awful from beginning to end...AiredaleVIPDined on 5/4/2013first awful review, don't know what to say, would not recommend to an enemy...
- Very good seafood!Luv2dineVIPDined on 4/20/2013Lobster flatbread was excellent and so were the lobster rolls. Really good food Great margaritas too!Special Features:
- Lovely restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013It was a great restaurant. Our server was friendly and gave us suggestions for places to go. The food was all really yummy. We went as a group of 4 for a bachelorette and the drinks were also really good! I had the sparkle martini! very good. Also over head were lights and it was a really good ambiance to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great gluten free dinner in NewportOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Needing to eat gluten free, I was so impressed with the knowledge of the staff. The waitress had the manager come over and he let me know I could have the meal I had ordered. Everything was double checked and I had NO reaction or problems from eating there!!! Would highly recommend it to anyone, bug especially if you have celiac or need gf food!! Will be going back next visit to Newport!!!Special Features:
- Excellent service and I'mRuffRonyDined on 4/18/2013Excellent service and I'm sorry I don't remember the waiter's name! He was fabulous!Special Features:
- Barking about this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Great service, excellent food, good menu, all around good place to eat! Excellent outdoor seating area.Special Features:
- Great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2013We liked the location in Newport near the waterfront where we were staying. The server was friendly and efficient, and she offered helpful recommendations. The chowder was thick and flavorful, seafood casserole moist and plentiful, and the grilled mahi mahi with pineapple salsa was cooked to.perfection with the slightly smokey taste of an open fire. We had the almond cake for dessert, and it was light and delicious. Prices were reasonable, and the atmosphere sort of like a seafood shanty. I would definitely return .Special Features:
- The crab basket and crab boilMikeDined on 3/23/2013The crab basket and crab boil were great. One in our party has shellfish allergies, so she ordered the hanger steak. That was the only dish that lacked flavor, but the mashed potatoes that came with the steak was delicious. Rule of thumb...don't go to a crab place for steak!