Barking Crab Boston
88 Sleeper Street
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Barking Crab Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barkingcrab.com/
- Phone: 6174262722x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jose Escueda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org/617-426-0872 for details
- Private Party Facilities: We feature seating from 40-155. In-season we accept private parties in the outdoor section of the restaurant for groups of 100+. The inside portion of the restaurant is available for private parties of 40-55 people. Please contact email@example.com/617-426-0872 for details
- Private Party Contact: Matt White 617-426-0872x
- Entertainment: . The "Wicked Hanging Chads" check our website for show times.
- Special Events: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org/617-426-0872 for details
A word from Barking Crab Boston
Barking Crab is a landmark Boston seafood restaurant celebrating our 20th season. Located on the Fort Point Channel in Boston's Seaport District, The Barking Crab features fresh crabs, lobsters, and day-boat fish brought in each morning. We feature traditional New England fare served in a funky urban clam-shack setting. We have a full bar including over 15 regional micro brews, cocktails, and an approachable value-priced wine list. We are family friendly and a short 2 minute walk from the Boston Children's Museum. Other area attractions include the Institute of Contemporary Art, Harpoon Brewery, the Harbor-walk, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, and Boston's Financial District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Barking Crab Boston - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Barking Crab Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (67)good for groups (51)scenic view (51)kid-friendly (45)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (19)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (12)late-night find (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good but not Great.ImNOFoodieDined on 9/28/2014When there was an hour and a half wait on Saturday we decided to come back Sunday night because it must be "that good". It was just good, not great. After missing my "text message" letting me know that our table was ready I was frustrated. W were right next to the hostess stand and she never 1) told me she would be sending us a text, she told us she would come find us and 2) she seem annoyed when I told her I missed the text. Then we were sat at the kiddy table, or what seemed like one anyway. I was not blown away by any of the selections we had. I can say that I went there but would probably not go back.Special Features:
- Fun, Fun, Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/28/2014This place was recommended to me by someone I met on the way to Boston and I'm so glad we made the time to go! I love how friendly everyone was from the wait staff to the customers. One big party!!Special Features:
- OVERRATEDTravelingForl14Dined on 9/27/2014Food is OVERPRICED and UNDERWHELMING .... NICE VIEW #TravelingFork14Special Features:
- Terrible serviceJeszDined on 9/27/2014Afte attempts to call the restaurant in the afternoon were met with an audio recording, we had made "reservations" for 8 PM on open table. When we arrived, we were informed that the restaurant did not take reservations (although the website stated differently) and told our wait could be up to 2.5 hours. After finally being seated, the service was absolutely terrible. They seemed severely understaffed. Once we finally got our food, it was decent but did not make up for the rest of the experience. Definitely a lackluster meal.Special Features:
- Lobster and Crab lover paradiseLauloDined on 9/27/2014We really love the food and the ambiance. We had a lot of fun. I would only suggest to include some side dish in the price of the plate because it's a bit frustrating to pay 50$ and only have the lobster without anything else. It's the first time of my life that I eat Lobster that doesn't come with side dish. But except this little detail! WE LOVE IT :)Special Features:
- WineandDineDined on 9/26/2014Service could of been much better. Waitress took our order and we didn't see her again until check time. Had to ask a different waiter for drink refills. Food was ok was much better my first time there. Atmosphere was good and the guy that greets you was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just RightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014The crab dip and stuffies make a great appetizer. A very good bear list with including a local Belgian White, IPA, and, of course, Sam Adams Lager and seasonal. The lobster mac and cheese special was terrific. Wait staff was attentive, yet with no sense that we were rushed. Sitting outside in the tent next to the water capped off a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barking Up the Wrong TreeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014There is something about Boston and Lobstah, you just HAVE to have it. However, on a recent trip to the Barking Crab it just didn't hold up to the true Boston Seafood experience. First, let's talk about the "communal" seating on the patio. Picnic tables are large, uncomfortable and only sit about 6 people though they take the space of a large table that could fit 8 or 9. Also, there is nothing fun about making a reservation for four and sharing your lobster mess with a couple that is trying to have a date night. Awkward. The food is okay at best. A favorite for me would be the crab cakes but the lobster was overcooked and small for the price, the coleslaw needs work. The decor is promising but service was terrible 10 minutes for water?Special Features:
- Had a great lunch breakMikiVIPDined on 9/17/2014Met with a group of friends working in town for lunch and enjoyed the lobster roll and had a great break from work. Great food. Great service.Special Features:
- seating was tightbostoncommuterDined on 9/16/2014Made a reservation for 9, but they sat us at a table for "8" and stuck a chair on the end. With all the tall men we had, that was not fun. The service was under par. This is a usual spot for me at lunch time, but I didn't like the dinner service or being squeezed in. I also thought the food quality wasn't as good. For as much as I paid for that lobster, I would have expected better. Fish and chips were not crispy, kind of soggy. I haven't given up on this place for lunch, but wouldn't do dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotPaulDined on 9/13/2014I've been here many times and as usual had a wonderful time. The food is good and the service wonderful.Special Features:
- Dirty, dirty, dirty!!!PatroncitaDined on 9/12/2014If you like to eat in a place where rats (yes, rats) are running around under tables and in and out if the kitchen (my kids spot them twice, and I felt one running over my foot) this is the perfect place!! We even told about this to one of the staff members and they didn't see very surprised, the worst part is that they didn't do anything, just smile at us!! Will not come back to this place ever!!
- Not bad but not great eitherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014The very noisy construction going on next door took a lot away from my experience. Obviously not an issue with the restaurant. Sitting outside under the tent was awesome and the location allowed for a nice walk along the harbor after. However, my lobster was over cooked. The sweet potatoe fries were fantastic! The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for seafoodLibarDined on 8/31/2014My daughter and I split the raw bar platter. It had a generous portion of clams, oysters, shrimp, crab and a whole little lobsta! Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for visitors to Bostonlotna44Dined on 8/30/2014Also great to take families..very fun. Wine list great. Bar and restaurant energized and fun..a great place for overseas visitors to get a view and taste of Boston. Plus, not the expected "fried food" menu that one would expect. Lots of choices to have broiled etc. Party of 6 all found something to suit their tastesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just plain fungfdebDined on 8/30/2014Love the Barking Crab for a night with friends, getting messy, eating from a huge shared bowl of crab legs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudSatisfiedMomDined on 8/28/2014Visited w/daughter & friend as visitor 2 Boston. Music was extremely loud but even louder in outside area so moving wouldn't work. Would have left except for daughters wishes. Food was good, especially clam chowder. Daughter had crab legs which were WAY over-priced as compared 2 other items. Clam bellies were also good. No need 2 return 2 that noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhCremDined on 8/27/2014I like barking crab - our waitress was just not friendly. She seemed annoyed like she didn't want to be to the point we didn't either...Special Features:
- Nite at The CrabWalkingmanDined on 8/24/2014The Barking Crab is a great place it's located on the waterfront. The food was very good I had the hot crab dip for an app and fried shrimp as my main. We sat on the outside deck with a nite view of the city very cool, only downside was the service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great--thanks to open tableTryAllDined on 8/24/2014We were visiting Boston from out of town, and someone from Boston recommended we try The Barking Crab. The first night we tried to go there, the line was crazy--and the wait for a table was more than 2 hours. The second day, I realized they take open table reservations, so I booked the table that way. Presto--we arrived on time and were seated immediately, despite the waiting line. So I think that is a win for Open Table. Thanks to that, we were able to enjoy some fresh seafood. Food was good, wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Would recommend for others to try, but definitely make reservations first.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodJohnWDined on 8/23/2014This location is always busy but the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in bostonOlgaDined on 8/23/2014Breathtaking view, the most tasty clam chowder and lobster roll in town. Resonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the Water in BostonCoffeemilkmanDined on 8/22/2014This was our second time at the Barking Crab. It is a wonderful place to spend an evening. I made reservations about a week ahead of time and had to suddenly delay our arrival by an hour due to a flight delay. The restaurant was more than happy to accommodate us. When we arrived our table was ready for us and we were seated right away. The restaurant was very crowded but our service was excellent. My party of 3 ordered 2 seafood platters and 1 Fisherman's platter which were excellent. We had a great view of the Boston skyline as the sun set. While the prices are a bit on the high side the food was worth it! Don't miss an opportunity to stop at the Barking Crab and have dinner. You will be happy you did.Special Features:
- Don't waste your timeBostonJessaDined on 8/22/2014We arrived on time, had reservations, and were seated immediately. Our waiter was doubling as the bartender...not sure why but the Mai Tai we ordered tasted terrible. We all asked for and recieved water but were never offered refills. We placed orders for a couple of appetizers and had our waiter come back to take our order. This took almost a half an hour. The music was turned up so load we could not speak to each other and we asked them to turn the music down. About 45 minutes after our appetizers were finished our dinners arrived. The food was cold. Not sort of warm because it had been waiting under the heat lamp- slimy and cold. We were very dissappointed.
- Fun and delicious!Lauren2076Dined on 8/21/2014We had a great time sitting at a picnic table in the outdoor area. Lively band and bar scene. The food was delicious with really fast service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lobster at the crabOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Good lobster and crab for a proper price (2 clam chouders cups, one 2 lb lobster and 8 crab legs for 90 USD, tax included). Good service and atmosphere. Unfortunately they don't give you rocks for breaking lobster as they used long time agoSpecial Features:
- Great seafood optionsHollyEDined on 8/20/2014I can highly recommend the lobster roll and the crab Louie salad! I had mine without dressing and it was phenomenal!!! I'm so glad our server recommended it. He was hesitant when I opted for no dressing, but the crab us butter warmed and there is a soft boil egg which made a great sauce.Special Features:
- Awesome seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014If you love seafood straight from the source and the fun ambience of outdoor dining on a pier, this is the place for you. Our family loved it - the food and atmosphere made us feel like we were in Maine.Special Features:
- LobsterEmilyDined on 8/17/2014The crab was fantastic. I saved the lobster portion of my dish for last and that was a poor choice because it was well under cooked. I split a chicken lobster with a friend so eating the claw was one bite. That bite was under cooked and I guess I should have spit it out because the waitress doubted me when I informed her about it. Great ambiance of course. Next time I will stick with the lobster roll which never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Everything about this place was outstanding. From the food to the server it was an all amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table seating confusionmehbostonDined on 8/14/2014Loved the food and music and ambiance. Slight confusion about when I had a reservation, which location to check in. I went inside and didn't know the tent has another check in. So took 30 minutes to get our table. Hostesses were confused. Finally an older waitress came over to help out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceJCY888Dined on 8/12/2014Well-priced, fun place along Boston Harbor. Because of the construction next door, the ambience gets lost a little but it is a great experience for eating seafood in the fresh air. We got a wonderful summer night with a cool breeze. It was our last night in Boston, and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Fun and good'MaineahVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great atmosphere - fun with awesome music - bench communal seats - fast service and great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014The food was great, loved the picnic table ambiance. I had the grilled swordfish and didn't care for what was on top or under it but the fish itself was delicious, I ended up eating just that as I had filled up on appetizers!Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014Need to improve on customer service. We had food allergy and was not accomodated but ignored. They did not let us talk to chef to see what could be done. Instead they let us sit there for 45 minutes and we had to leave. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great crabCharlotteTravelerDined on 8/3/2014Open Table reservation honored right away. Great view, charming, rustic, casual interior. The Alaskan Crab legs were giant and excellent. The Fried Combo Platter started out ok but quickly turned soggy and definitely not so good. Good beer list. Very good service - the waitstaff hustles to serve, help and clean tables. Glad we went for the experience and the crab.Special Features:
- H2OfrDined on 7/30/2014Very nice dinner. Great Atmosphere and service. Great Food too except Oysters less good than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique experiencemhunteDined on 7/27/2014We were looking for a unique restaurant to try while we were down by the harbour. It was almost too perfect as the rain that had taken place almost all day stopped just in time for us to really enjoy this awesome outdoor restaurant. The food was great and very reasonably priced. Although we had heard mixed reviews in terms of noise we are a young couple and enjoy/are used to loud bar type restaurants and that does not deter us from choosing where to eat! In fact I think it added to the ambience and 'fun' feel of the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but better food elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Service was ok, Food ok and lobster roll was disappointing compared to other places we went to. The mussels were delicious but our waiter could not even explain how they were going to be cooked. Would go down the street on our next trip to Boston.Special Features:
- CDubyaDined on 7/9/2014Our family had a great meal and enjoyed our visit. Service and food was fantastic. Worth a stop.Special Features: