Barking Crab Boston
88 Sleeper Street
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Barking Crab Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barkingcrab.com/
- Phone: (617) 426-2722
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Our Tent is only open on Friday & Saturday evenings through October 31st.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jose Escueda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org/617-426-0872 for details
- Private Party Facilities: We feature seating from 40-155. In-season we accept private parties in the outdoor section of the restaurant for groups of 100+. The inside portion of the restaurant is available for private parties of 40-55 people. Please contact email@example.com/617-426-0872 for details
- Private Party Contact: Matt White 617-426-0872x
- Entertainment: . The "Wicked Hanging Chads" check our website for show times.
- Special Events: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org/617-426-0872 for details
A word from Barking Crab Boston
Barking Crab is a landmark Boston seafood restaurant celebrating our 20th season. Located on the Fort Point Channel in Boston's Seaport District, The Barking Crab features fresh crabs, lobsters, and day-boat fish brought in each morning. We feature traditional New England fare served in a funky urban clam-shack setting. We have a full bar including over 15 regional micro brews, cocktails, and an approachable value-priced wine list. We are family friendly and a short 2 minute walk from the Boston Children's Museum. Other area attractions include the Institute of Contemporary Art, Harpoon Brewery, the Harbor-walk, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, and Boston's Financial District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Barking Crab Boston - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Barking Crab Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (52)scenic view (52)kid-friendly (38)neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (25)hot spot (23)fit for foodies (19)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (14)late-night find (9)romantic (6)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good food and great atmosphere!LynetDined on 11/20/2014The one thing I would change would be to offer side dish options with the crab leg entrees. The crab cakes were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014It was a nice place for dinner, We from México and the meals are fantasticsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual DiningAnonymousDined on 11/14/2014Had the chowder and naked lobster roll, pricey but delicious. Perfect after an afternoon @ Harpoon Brewery. Very casual & relaxed setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small gestures done wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2014The outdoor space was cozy despite the weather being cold and windy It was my husbands birthday and this was the place he requested. He had crab cake appetizer and clam chowder and was happy with both, and drank a delicious Barking Crab beer. I had vegetable of the day, green beans, and fried onion rings. The beans were delicious, perfectly cooked, blanched then sauteed a few minutes I am suspecting with olive oil and good salt on them A lovely green color. Ordering vegetables is my test of a good restaurant with a chef who knows what she/he is doing. Barking Crab passed the test!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuirkyshirlfromOzDined on 10/28/2014I am always on the look out for something different in a dining experience - that is also frequented by locals, not just tourists. Barking Crab fit the bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!RawanmusDined on 10/26/2014This is the place to go if you want to eat fresh lobster and crabs! The atmosphere was great the food was great and we were seated by the window, so we had a nice view of the big city buildings.Special Features:
- FunMielzDined on 10/26/2014Great Guinness, freshest seafood, A bit too rich but wonderful flavors highly recommend it for a calm Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation Highly SuggestedShamoneVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great food selection but just got with crab legs and lobster. Naked lobster really had no flavor and seafood casserole was not great but everything else we ordered was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience n fast serviceMarlinDined on 10/25/2014I loved it good service n fast n good food I would recommend this restaurant to a few of my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!MahjesticsVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food and service! I ordered the lobster and it was boiled perfectly. The French fried was super too. Crispy and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisyJesseDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant was very noisy. Even though a reservation was made we had to wait 40 min. No friendly service.
- fun atmosphere but terrible wastebenjiDined on 10/12/2014Hated all the plastic packaging and waste. This place must be filling up landfill sites across the state. Atmosphere was fun and food ok.Special Features:
- GreatEmilyDined on 10/12/2014The naked lobster roll is always a great choice and my friends really enjoyed the seafood casserole. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor service.lawrunnerDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious, but our service was not so great. My husband had to go to the bar to get our waters after we waited for 20 minutes to get them. Our server only came back once to check on us (he didn't deliver our food, so he literally came to our table one time after taking our order). I would go back for the food - I had crab cake sliders, my husband had stuffed lobster. But, the service leaves a little to be desired.Special Features:
- Good but not Great.ImNOFoodieDined on 9/28/2014When there was an hour and a half wait on Saturday we decided to come back Sunday night because it must be "that good". It was just good, not great. After missing my "text message" letting me know that our table was ready I was frustrated. W were right next to the hostess stand and she never 1) told me she would be sending us a text, she told us she would come find us and 2) she seem annoyed when I told her I missed the text. Then we were sat at the kiddy table, or what seemed like one anyway. I was not blown away by any of the selections we had. I can say that I went there but would probably not go back.Special Features:
- Fun, Fun, Fun!lauriegkcDined on 9/28/2014This place was recommended to me by someone I met on the way to Boston and I'm so glad we made the time to go! I love how friendly everyone was from the wait staff to the customers. One big party!!Special Features:
- OVERRATEDTravelingForl14Dined on 9/27/2014Food is OVERPRICED and UNDERWHELMING .... NICE VIEW #TravelingFork14Special Features:
- Terrible serviceJeszDined on 9/27/2014Afte attempts to call the restaurant in the afternoon were met with an audio recording, we had made "reservations" for 8 PM on open table. When we arrived, we were informed that the restaurant did not take reservations (although the website stated differently) and told our wait could be up to 2.5 hours. After finally being seated, the service was absolutely terrible. They seemed severely understaffed. Once we finally got our food, it was decent but did not make up for the rest of the experience. Definitely a lackluster meal.Special Features:
- Lobster and Crab lover paradiseLauloDined on 9/27/2014We really love the food and the ambiance. We had a lot of fun. I would only suggest to include some side dish in the price of the plate because it's a bit frustrating to pay 50$ and only have the lobster without anything else. It's the first time of my life that I eat Lobster that doesn't come with side dish. But except this little detail! WE LOVE IT :)Special Features:
- WineandDineDined on 9/26/2014Service could of been much better. Waitress took our order and we didn't see her again until check time. Had to ask a different waiter for drink refills. Food was ok was much better my first time there. Atmosphere was good and the guy that greets you was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just RightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014The crab dip and stuffies make a great appetizer. A very good bear list with including a local Belgian White, IPA, and, of course, Sam Adams Lager and seasonal. The lobster mac and cheese special was terrific. Wait staff was attentive, yet with no sense that we were rushed. Sitting outside in the tent next to the water capped off a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barking Up the Wrong TreeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014There is something about Boston and Lobstah, you just HAVE to have it. However, on a recent trip to the Barking Crab it just didn't hold up to the true Boston Seafood experience. First, let's talk about the "communal" seating on the patio. Picnic tables are large, uncomfortable and only sit about 6 people though they take the space of a large table that could fit 8 or 9. Also, there is nothing fun about making a reservation for four and sharing your lobster mess with a couple that is trying to have a date night. Awkward. The food is okay at best. A favorite for me would be the crab cakes but the lobster was overcooked and small for the price, the coleslaw needs work. The decor is promising but service was terrible 10 minutes for water?Special Features:
- Had a great lunch breakMikiVIPDined on 9/17/2014Met with a group of friends working in town for lunch and enjoyed the lobster roll and had a great break from work. Great food. Great service.Special Features:
- seating was tightbostoncommuterDined on 9/16/2014Made a reservation for 9, but they sat us at a table for "8" and stuck a chair on the end. With all the tall men we had, that was not fun. The service was under par. This is a usual spot for me at lunch time, but I didn't like the dinner service or being squeezed in. I also thought the food quality wasn't as good. For as much as I paid for that lobster, I would have expected better. Fish and chips were not crispy, kind of soggy. I haven't given up on this place for lunch, but wouldn't do dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotPaulDined on 9/13/2014I've been here many times and as usual had a wonderful time. The food is good and the service wonderful.Special Features:
- Dirty, dirty, dirty!!!PatroncitaDined on 9/12/2014If you like to eat in a place where rats (yes, rats) are running around under tables and in and out if the kitchen (my kids spot them twice, and I felt one running over my foot) this is the perfect place!! We even told about this to one of the staff members and they didn't see very surprised, the worst part is that they didn't do anything, just smile at us!! Will not come back to this place ever!!
- Not bad but not great eitherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014The very noisy construction going on next door took a lot away from my experience. Obviously not an issue with the restaurant. Sitting outside under the tent was awesome and the location allowed for a nice walk along the harbor after. However, my lobster was over cooked. The sweet potatoe fries were fantastic! The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for seafoodLibarDined on 8/31/2014My daughter and I split the raw bar platter. It had a generous portion of clams, oysters, shrimp, crab and a whole little lobsta! Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for visitors to Bostonlotna44Dined on 8/30/2014Also great to take families..very fun. Wine list great. Bar and restaurant energized and fun..a great place for overseas visitors to get a view and taste of Boston. Plus, not the expected "fried food" menu that one would expect. Lots of choices to have broiled etc. Party of 6 all found something to suit their tastesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just plain fungfdebDined on 8/30/2014Love the Barking Crab for a night with friends, getting messy, eating from a huge shared bowl of crab legs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudSatisfiedMomDined on 8/28/2014Visited w/daughter & friend as visitor 2 Boston. Music was extremely loud but even louder in outside area so moving wouldn't work. Would have left except for daughters wishes. Food was good, especially clam chowder. Daughter had crab legs which were WAY over-priced as compared 2 other items. Clam bellies were also good. No need 2 return 2 that noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhCremDined on 8/27/2014I like barking crab - our waitress was just not friendly. She seemed annoyed like she didn't want to be to the point we didn't either...Special Features:
- Nite at The CrabWalkingmanDined on 8/24/2014The Barking Crab is a great place it's located on the waterfront. The food was very good I had the hot crab dip for an app and fried shrimp as my main. We sat on the outside deck with a nite view of the city very cool, only downside was the service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great--thanks to open tableTryAllDined on 8/24/2014We were visiting Boston from out of town, and someone from Boston recommended we try The Barking Crab. The first night we tried to go there, the line was crazy--and the wait for a table was more than 2 hours. The second day, I realized they take open table reservations, so I booked the table that way. Presto--we arrived on time and were seated immediately, despite the waiting line. So I think that is a win for Open Table. Thanks to that, we were able to enjoy some fresh seafood. Food was good, wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Would recommend for others to try, but definitely make reservations first.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodJohnWDined on 8/23/2014This location is always busy but the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in bostonOlgaDined on 8/23/2014Breathtaking view, the most tasty clam chowder and lobster roll in town. Resonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the Water in BostonCoffeemilkmanDined on 8/22/2014This was our second time at the Barking Crab. It is a wonderful place to spend an evening. I made reservations about a week ahead of time and had to suddenly delay our arrival by an hour due to a flight delay. The restaurant was more than happy to accommodate us. When we arrived our table was ready for us and we were seated right away. The restaurant was very crowded but our service was excellent. My party of 3 ordered 2 seafood platters and 1 Fisherman's platter which were excellent. We had a great view of the Boston skyline as the sun set. While the prices are a bit on the high side the food was worth it! Don't miss an opportunity to stop at the Barking Crab and have dinner. You will be happy you did.Special Features:
- Don't waste your timeBostonJessaDined on 8/22/2014We arrived on time, had reservations, and were seated immediately. Our waiter was doubling as the bartender...not sure why but the Mai Tai we ordered tasted terrible. We all asked for and recieved water but were never offered refills. We placed orders for a couple of appetizers and had our waiter come back to take our order. This took almost a half an hour. The music was turned up so load we could not speak to each other and we asked them to turn the music down. About 45 minutes after our appetizers were finished our dinners arrived. The food was cold. Not sort of warm because it had been waiting under the heat lamp- slimy and cold. We were very dissappointed.
- Fun and delicious!Lauren2076Dined on 8/21/2014We had a great time sitting at a picnic table in the outdoor area. Lively band and bar scene. The food was delicious with really fast service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lobster at the crabOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Good lobster and crab for a proper price (2 clam chouders cups, one 2 lb lobster and 8 crab legs for 90 USD, tax included). Good service and atmosphere. Unfortunately they don't give you rocks for breaking lobster as they used long time agoSpecial Features: