Bard & Banker
1022 Government Street
Victoria, BC V8W 1X7Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: CAN$30 and under
Bard & Banker
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bardandbanker.com/
- Phone: (250) 953-9993
- Hours of Operation:
Daily from 11:00 am to 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Gastro Pub, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Richard Luttman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Brad Skerrett 250-953-9993x
- Entertainment: The Bard & Banker is open seven days a week from 11am to 1am with live music every night.
A word from Bard & Banker
The Bard & Banker offers a friendly, warm atmosphere. Featuring Victoria's best whisky selection and 30 beers and cider on tap, and an enjoyable wine list. The food menu is constantly changing and features local, home made dishes with options to please everyone. The Bard presents live local music 7 nights a week with NO cover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Bard & Banker - Best Restaurants in Victoria ›
Bard & Banker reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (6)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (4)romantic (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely ambiance in historic buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014I and a friend dined at the Bard and Banker for dinner one evening recently. We were seated at a high pub-style table without being given a choice of a normal table. My friend was quite short and had difficulty even getting up on the stool, let alone staying up there without sliding off! The menu was limited, but did offer a selection of pub food. I ordered the chicken, which seemed to be a specialty of the house, being it was listed in it's own boxed off section of the menu. When it arrived, it was a full half chicken, served in what looked like the original roasting pan!!! with gravy boat and mashed potatoes in the pan alongside. Quite disconcerting and very awkward to actually eat. This would be a disastrous first date dish!!! There was no side plate offered on which to place carved pieces of the chicken to further cut in order to eat them. The flavor of chicken I originally ordered was not available but what was available tasted good - when I could actually wrestle off a bite! My friend's fish and chips were tasty, according to her. The service was pleasant, if a little distracted. Eating here was an interesting experience, the decor was breathtaking and historical and we mostly enjoyed it, but don't go with the idea of fine dining in mind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014It was great to be able to reserve a table/snug for our group of 7 to meet over drinks and appies. The snug was private and great for conversation. The service was awesome as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Our family of three enjoyed the atmosphere and happy hour prices for our unconventional Thanksgiving Day meal. Our server was attentive, friendly, and easy-going making for a relaxing meal. Speaking of meal, the food was unexpectedly different, and tasty. Fun plates too - cutting boards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple food, top notch executionAnneDined on 9/19/2014Really friendly, helpful staff, and quality food. We enjoyed fish and chips, smoked salmon, and sticky toffee pudding. The fish was outstanding. Also enjoyed the ambience, which is lively but not overwhelming. And it's in a really attractive building. Had a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okaynauticalDined on 9/5/2014This is a beautiful building and I love the decor. If you've never been here it's a must visit. I had the sweet potato lasagna which is mostly sweet potato. Creative idea but didn't love it. Fish and chips were good. I like that the wine list is sorted by sweetest to dryest but didn't enjoy the wine I had (I'm more at the Moscato end of the wine sweetness which they didn't have).Special Features:
- Change the Menu.....back.EatMe420Dined on 8/30/2014Thrilled we were able to reserve a table at the B & B, looking forward to seeing the band. Excitement waned shortly after arrival as we were led to the back wall of the pub, out of sight of the band. Opted to stay & perused the menu which had been changed in the last month, & quite frankly found it to be bizarre. My g/f who is a vegetarian could not find anything palatable. Ended up ordering the Crab Salad. Arrived looking fresh, but the dressing was tasteless, the crab fishy. Pass the salt. Followed up with calamari which was the most bland dish either of us have ever tasted. More salt. I used to joke "I am craving Scotch food tonite", since Scotch/Brit restaurants are not known for tasty dishes. B & B has digressed to such an eatery.Special Features:
- had a great timeLuvVicBCDined on 8/17/2014Not a foodie or a critic but just a regular Joe that was looking for a good meal, some local music, and a fun night out. We found all of that at Bard & Banker. We read several reviews about this place that were mediocre at best, but we found it just the opposite. The food was very good, nice selection of beers and the live music was outstanding. Will definitely return on our next trip to Victoria. To all those neigh sayers... get over yourselves and learn to relax and enjoy life. Bard & Banker is an excellent establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I chose this location for a 20 yr reunion with some high school chums. It was a great decision. Our waitress was phenomenal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Alway great to have live entertainment when the girls go out. Fantastic building, good sevice and good food. A real hit!Special Features:
- Food is good but not a gastro pubsxmscorpioDined on 8/7/2014Was disappointed; was expecting British pub food but it was just fish and chips....all different kinds of fish but still fish and chips. Service was attentive.
- New menu...BardFanVIPDined on 8/3/2014The new menu is missing a couple of my old favorites; no pizza or bangers and mash. The ham and cheese sandwich I had was 'pork and apple and cheese' and not what I hoped for. Service was slow this visit although place didn't seem too busy - it was a holiday weekend ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Advertised a band but not really set up to see and hear music. Food was comfort food and very good.Special Features:
- Girl's night outlovethebardDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed a terrific meal with a group of friends. Four of us enjoyed the chicken dinner. Succulent chicken and tasty sides. We loved the cauliflower side. Our server was marvellous.Special Features:
- The following 168 reviews are from the Bard & Banker reviews archive.
- Great spot!rlang290Dined on 7/19/2014This is a real gem of a spot. The staff was great, we really liked our food, and it had just the right amount of noise. We'll definitely come back next time we're in Victoria!Special Features:
- Menu ChangeCatFromSaskDined on 6/27/2014Loved this restaurant the first time we visited Victoria last September. Ate there 3 times during our 7 day vacation. Looked forward to eating here again in June. Although the service was wonderful and the music was awesome, my husband and I were very disappointed to see that the menu had changed. No appetizers? No Chicken Pot Pie? The waitress told us it was being changed from a pub to a restaurant. If it wasn't for the music, we probably would not go back again. The pub atmosphere is what makes it special. I hope it doesn't become just another restaurant. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HawaiiDined on 6/5/2014The food was delicious! Especially loved the fish bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicStellaplsDined on 5/31/2014I met some friends visiting from Alberta -it was great to show off the pub!! They loved it got a bit loud to visit once music started but overall great! Kudos to Laura who suggested a great table!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerDrewbertDined on 5/16/2014We had dinner here. Our server was great! She recommended a beer that she thought would meet our taste and didn't dissapoint. The food came quickly and was awesome. The menu has suggested wine and beer pairings and they have a huge selection of scotch if you're in to that. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world charm with new world vibewhiskMEawayDined on 5/7/2014Step into the old bar scene; wooden panels, carving, open loft, wrought-iron, cushy seating, intimate booths and open tables. The lively and helpful servers are in Scot's plaid, the whiskey choices optimal, food interesting, and live music is available nightly. You will be well cared for here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ambience!BrownyDined on 5/2/2014This bar is beautiful inside! We had awesome service and the Greek pizza was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AHmazing Restaurant!Dhxo93Dined on 4/26/2014I've only been to the island a few times, BUT I always make a trip to the Barb & Banker. The friendly staff, amazing food, and good selection of homemade brews and other assorted alcohols, makes it such a neat place to be! The bands that play weekly are great, and I've met some awesome locals and folks from around the world! Definitely a place to check out! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bangers and Mash Bang-On!ToTasteVIPDined on 4/19/2014We loved this place, really great set up and friendly staff. We had the bangers and mash, but asked for a veggie instead of the potatoes, and they happily complied, and gave us asparagus. Though I'm sure the potatoes would have been delightful, the meal was great and we really appreciated the accommodation. Excellent restaurant. Guys outnumbered females about 3 -1 but that might be because the servers have ridiculously low cut shirts and short kilts at this "Breastaurant" LOL.Special Features:
- Love this placeJaseDined on 3/6/2014Great food, great service - I've never been dissapointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulAnnickVIPDined on 3/4/2014. Clam chowder: hardly any soup in there, all corn, bacon and low quality tiny mussels. Pizza with mushrooms: no taste, so many mushrooms that it was ridiculous. When I asked for a doggy bag, the waitress came back with an OPEN BOX and I (the customer paying 15 to 20% as a tip!!) had to put the rest of the pizza in the box myself. Where on earth have you seen this before, Bard and Banker?? You don't just need a nice building and some history, it takes MUCH MORE: cooking is all about making sure the food is cooked properly and having a Chef in the kitchen would definitely help so, for example, your customers won't end up with a pizza buried under a ton of uncooked mushrooms. This place is a total disgrace to food.
- Scottish Experience in VictoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014Dined in Edinburg, Glasgow and other Scottish towns for first time last summer. Was expecting the same but other than servers in plaid skirts was more like a standard North American pub/food location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar SpotFoodsterDined on 2/27/2014Firs time visiting the Bard and Banker, and it was superb. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, but it was the service and the food that made the experience exceptional. Wonderful customer service and absolutely delectable entrees. I absolutely recommend this to anyone looking for a high energy, but similarly relaxing joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pub in the heart ofRickVIPDined on 2/20/2014Great pub in the heart of downtown Victoria, an old converte bank, stately yet casual atmosphere. Great menu, food well prepared and tasty, great service. Great local and import beer selection as well as wine. Have eaten here every time I have come to Victoria for a little rest & relaxation. A great place to share casual conversation over a beer or enjoy their excellent food. Definitely recommend you try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a blast!candyDined on 2/14/2014My husband and our favorite couple spent Valentines Day dinner here. We had the most amazing service, very knowledgeable with the liquor and very attentive. Our food was delicious and the sticky date pudding was to die for!!!Special Features:
- Food was surprisingly good.SaladsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Food was surprisingly good.Salads looked freshly made. Martinis strong- good cocktail drink selection. There was a confusion about tables available and then it was given to others. Great music! Server was nice and friendly. One of the nicest bar in Victoria! I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a slice of VictorianajaneDined on 1/27/2014we especially enjoy taking out-of-towners - and U.S. visitors - to B&B. We have never been disappointed with any aspect of the experience, and the newbies have been impressed. AND we like your connection with Phillips Brewery as well as many other local products.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robbie Burns nightVirginiaDined on 1/25/2014Great fun on Robbie Burns day. We always go for the pipers, drums, haggis, tatties, and neeps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scottish PubHappytravellerVIPDined on 1/15/2014Notable selection of beers and good food, the mussels in Pernod were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice before show spotLynnDined on 1/5/2014As a location to pop into for a meal before an event the Bard worked well for us. On a Sunday 4 of us were well served the meal was good and the noise level was good for us to have a conversation. This might not be the case on another night or if it was busy. but over all we all enjoyed our meals.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bard&BankerSoulsearcherDined on 12/31/2013Pub food was good, drinks were great. Service was top-notch. We had a great time for New Years Eve 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger of my LifeTelanisDined on 12/26/2013I had the greatest lamb burger at Bard & Banker. Simply delicious - quite possibly the best burger I've had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful BrassaintvikDined on 12/26/2013This pub is so beautiful and well maintained. The wine list is extraordinary and extensive. The beers are fabulous. I haven't gotten into the Scotches! Good food at a reasonable price and lovely wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyTheCesspitDined on 12/21/2013The Bard and Banker would be far improved without the live music. It's terrible covers that add nothing to the place, which works very well for a social group, with all the nooks, alcoves and snugs. Having the music so loud we have to shout over it to talk is a downer. When it's not very good music, it puts me off returning. Service was fair, mostly as our server seemed to be pretty run off her feet with the number of tables and people in the bar the night we were in.Special Features:
- Lunch with the ladiesVictoriaGirlieDined on 12/19/2013Great lunch, great atmosphere. Service a little slow considering place wasn't very full but our conversation dealt with it fine.Special Features:
- Team LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013Had a nice lunch with my project team -- good food, nice atmoshere and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my fave'sFinedinerDined on 11/23/2013I have been to the bard and banker many times, for several various occasions and am always very pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.