1101 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barcodedc.com/
- Phone: 2029559001
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00am, Friday: 11:30am - 3:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Giovanni Orellana
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Special Events: Happy Hour Mon-Fri 3-7pm | All Beer, Wines and Rail Drinks %50 Off
Mondays | Happy Hour Extended
Tuesdays | Bottles of Wine %50 OFF
A word from Barcode
'To those of us who work a few blocks away, the opening of Barcode, in the former Fourth Estate Grille space near 17th and L streets NW, qualifies as big, huge, stop-the-presses news (at least as far as our happy hour options are concerned). Gone is the casual bar-and-grill vibe of the old place; in its place comes LED lighting, brushed steel surfaces, dark-wood paneling, lounge seating and communal banquettes. A set of turntables stand by the front door, as if waiting for a passing DJ to set them in motion. It makes sense to see them, because the bar is run by the DC Hospitality Group, which also oversees Lima and UltraBar.' - Washington Post. Come enjoy an after work drink, stay for dinner and enjoy the scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barcode reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (26)great for lunch (24)vibrant bar scene (21)great for outdoor dining (17)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (13)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)special occasion (9)notable wine list (6)romantic (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Amazing Appetizers!KendraDined on 10/29/2014After having lunch - and traditional lunch entrees - here a number of times, two of us decided to split 3 appetizers. Fantastic decision, may never order an entree again! Loved the beets, squid and chicken wing appetizers, will be returning for more again soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKK2014Dined on 10/17/2014I made reservations for dinner at 9:30p. My friend had come in from out of town to celebrate our birthdays and Barcöde had been recommended. I'll be fair and say that there were a ton of homecomings that weekend so I'm sure that accounted for the smaller crowd. Due to terrible traffic we knew we would be late so my friend called to inform them. A woman told her it was fine and hung up the phone. When we arrived, the bouncer wasn't rude but he wasn't polite either. Perhaps my favorite part of the evening was when we found the woman in charge of seating AND explained our situation she said " oh you're super early" (we got there 10:20)! Keep your sarcasm to yourself and be professional!! Other than that food was good and server was nice.
- great happy hourKarolynDined on 10/2/2014We went for happy hour (half priced wine & beer) and then sat for dinner. Dinner service was slow but the food was good. Pizza is half off on Thurs nights - got one, it was big enough for 2. Also had 2 delicious sides - prosciutto mac n cheese and brussel sprouts.Special Features:
- Hookah Fight Night!MarvinDined on 9/26/2014The spot was cool until.......A fight broke out between some guys and it spilled into the street. Hookahs were hard to get for non "regulars". The food was delicious and the portions were good. I'd give it another shot. Maybe I just picked the wrong night to stop through.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedPhillycritic215Dined on 9/25/2014I was here this past Thursday and went online and read great reviews about this place...I order the lamb chops and risotto my boyfriend order the filet and the lobster macaroni and cheese....well let me just first say the lobster macaroni and cheese was terrible...it tasted like box macaroni and cheese, it was so bad actually we had to send it back( something I hate to do). So as far as my food goes, my lamb chops were pretty good( had better) and my boyfriend'so steak was okay as well. Overall, our experience was only okay and I felt bad because it was his birthday and I could of definetly picked a better spot.Special Features:
- Good lunch optionAaronDined on 9/22/2014nice variety of pizzas, sandwiches and salads. Wait staff has always been attentive and friendly every time I have been there.Special Features:
- The food was greataarroyo103Dined on 9/19/2014I had made reservations for 9:00. Upon arriving at 9:10, I was greeted with doorman explaining the dress code for the establishment after 9:00. We were almost turned away because my boyfriend had sneakers. I wish this was explained to me before I chose that time to come. After that minor hick up, the rest of our experience went smoothly. Our waitress was well mannered and prompt with everything. But most of all, the food was delish! I had the Blackened Chicken with potatoes and Cole slaw, while my boyfriend had their Salmon with asparagus. Everything was cooked to perfection and the display was very nice. I will recommend this establishment to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014Food was surprisingly good for a more bar than restaurant. Noise level way to high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoroDined on 9/17/2014Barcode continues to be a great lunchtime venue. Food is very good and not too expensive. Service is terrific! The only comment I would have is that because they have a very active nighttime business as a bar, some of the furnishings are really looking worn. My seat cushion in the booth had stuffing coming out of it. I'm glad this place is always hopping at night (it always is!) but they need to really make sure they don't allow the place to become worn looking or the hip nightlife will go away and the business lunch crowd will too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SpotMattyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Went for lunch. Food was good, restaurant is trendy and modern. I would expect dinner to be very good. Service was just ok, would have expected more since it was so slow while we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KendraDined on 9/5/2014Always fabulous. Yummy food, friendly service, great place for a Friday lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!SnackChaserDined on 8/16/2014Had an early birthday celebration & made a last minute restaurant change. Best dining decision I've ever made! I'd been here before for drinks and appetizers but never for dinner until Restaurant Week. Hands down this was the best deal ever. I had tge civeche, lobster & tiramisu. My friends had the swordfish appetizer & lamb chops. We were all very happy. I will definitely be back. Oh did I mention the drinks were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014tenderheartDined on 8/16/2014Some friends and I dined here for the first time during Restaurant Week on Aug 16, 2014. I ordered the braised short ribs as my entrée and it was divine! So very good! The flavors were perfect! I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRestaurantFanDined on 8/15/2014I stopped by here an did a reservation for DC Restaurant Week and the cuisine was to die for. Me and my girlfriends got something different and all the specality items and normal items on the menu were delicious. My friend was so stuff but she tried to make room to finish her fabulous lamb. The atmosphere was chic and layed back at the same time. Also a big plus that the normal menu prices were reasonably price for everyday eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabFoodieDined on 8/11/2014Enjoyed the restaurant week menu, Australian lamb was to die for.
- Very good food and selection.Dcb700Dined on 8/9/2014Barcode has a somewhat small but very different menu selections. All three dishes my party had we very tasty and fresh. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive. The down side was the decor. Very worn. We has reservations and were still given a booth with torn fabric on the seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrettygurlDined on 8/2/2014I enjoyed myself. The food was the best and I enjoyed the outside area as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchMikeVIPDined on 7/29/2014Great small plates and service. Nice job, since we had limited time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthday happy hour was great!MDZetaDined on 7/25/2014The foods and drinks were great and there was plenty of seating! Great spot for a group happy hour event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for lunch apptsNedaVIPDined on 7/16/2014It was pretty good. I do not think it is necessary to write a long review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 356 reviews are from the Barcode reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/30/2014Food was uninspired, at best, although the service was accommodating.
- Great but loudKDittyDined on 6/25/2014Love the place, but too loud. We had to take our food to go as it was impossible to talk or be heard. I understand the energy and loudness for Happy Hour and After Hours-- but downtown at lunchtime, it makes sense to have a spot where business lunches can happen. Other than that, I love the place! Great service, great food, great location!
- LunchguestDined on 6/19/2014The service and food was very good. Lunch time, the level of noise is too loud. I highly recommend to turn off the music sound, it is too loud for business conversation the only thing you can hear is the background of conversations.Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere, Poor ServiceCaitDined on 6/17/2014Good food and environment, but it took 20 minutes after we were seated just for someone to come ask our drink order, then another 20 minutes just for our food order. We had just been outside all day sightseeing and we were very impatient. However, the atmosphere was AMAZING and a fun place to be at. Ideal for bar hopping/drinking and bar foods. The cheeseburger was great!Special Features:
- Awesome Elegant Sports BarFSUDiningOutDined on 6/14/2014We had a long day at the zoo but went for dinner and view the world cup match. The food was amazing! I love the Happy Hour between 5-7 as we were able to enjoy good wine and drinks. I recommend Bar-Code to anyone for great sports viewing as the have several large HD monitors spread across the venue.Special Features:
- Fun in DCICEMaidenVIPDined on 6/13/2014A very fun ace in DC for lunch. Near Farragut North metro. Many great lunch selections and great service with an upbeat atmosphere. The World Cup on televisionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyBizLunchDined on 6/6/2014Tasty burgers; very attentive server. My ice tea glass was never emptySpecial Features:
- Left before the dancing startedFormerFedVIPDined on 5/28/2014My girlfriend and I tried Barcode for a light supper after a tour at the National Geographic Society a block north. We ate quickly, since we weren't interesting in the Latino music and dancing that was supposed to start about 10 PM. The staff was busy removing tables throughout our meal, but we still received friendly and attentive service. I had the beets and spicy shrimp and she the spinach-artichoke dip and grilled artichoke. All were very tasty, with the habanero butter from the shrimp almost too hot to eat. We'll try to get to Barcode earlier on our next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014I made a reservation for 12:30 p.m., that was not honored. The place was packed after waiting 20 minutes to be seated, so my party of three left to eat elsewhere before our lunch hour was over.
- Great environment not so great foodAshleyDined on 5/13/2014The location is perfect. The waiters kept on asking us if we were ready for the order as if they were trying to get us out of there sooner. Every 1-2 minutes a new waiter would show up asking for the order. And even as we were finishing up they would keep asking us if we wanted them to take our plates away. Food wasn't amazing but wasn't terrible either. Great environment, fun place to be with lunch when catching up with old friends.Special Features:
- Lunch with colleagueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014We had the typical one-hour burger lunch. Jasmine provided great service, the food was delicious and we were out of there and back to the office in plenty of time. It was surprisingly not crowded, very clean and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jgronerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Decent bar food, good service, not a whole lot more at lunchtime.
- wizernowDined on 5/7/2014The food is lovely over many visits. However, the wait staff is unpredictable. Just be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good until we got the billluvgoodfoodDined on 4/26/2014I like Barcode. I've been several times before and enjoyed it. This time was fun and food and drinks were good but Iididn't understand why our waiter gave our table of 5 individual checks and automatically added a TWENTY PERCENT tip to each. We sent them back and had him 're run the checks. We were not happy that he assumed he should get top billing for the tip. This is unacceptable and management should retrain their staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for lunchsusuDined on 4/21/2014Lunch started with delicious olives instead of bread which is a nice touch. You can opt for an excellent side salad instead of fries with your sandwich. Food came out fast and we were not rushed out after finishing. I'll come here again.Special Features:
- Open Table?joeyDined on 4/17/2014Why doesn't Open Table Provide points for dining here?Special Features:
- Good place for a business lunchXXXXDined on 4/16/2014The atmosphere is relatively quiet at lunch (not after work, when it becomes a pick-up spot). The food was quite good, although the recommendation of one ``personal pizza'' per customer meant far too much food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DC RestaurantModishlyyoursDined on 4/5/2014I love this place! The waitress was awesome and the food was incredible! Only con: not all of the alcoholic beverages were available on the menu other than that 5 stars! Will come again :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay service, Great FoodjanetDined on 3/22/2014I made a reservation and I told the waitress that when I stepped in with 2 of my other friends. She told us to go to the table, it's shared with another group, which was closest to the door and where people walk in and out and I didn't prefer that. Clearly, there were tables down the line where we could sit and so I said again, I made a reservation, could we please sit there instead? and she said she'd check. She came back and didn't give us the seat and said that only 6 ppl could sit there. then I hesitated and said okay, although I made a reservation and clearly there would have been no problem. Five minutes later, I saw that it didn't matter again because there were 3 men who sat in the table I wanted to be seated in. Awful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014It was a great place to go out on a Friday night. The food was tasty and the music was great.Special Features: