Barclay's American Grille
1120 Pleasant St
Oak Park, IL 60302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barclay's American Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barclaysamericangrille.com/
- Phone: 7088484250x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Barclay Room is located just off the main dining room and can accommodate up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Huston 7088484250x
A word from Barclay's American Grille
The restaurant serves classic American cuisine "with a twist". Signature burgers, BBQ ribs, fresh seafood and an array of steaks and chops and served with our amazing homemade sauces and creative toppings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Barclay's American Grille - Best Restaurants in Oak Park ›
Barclay's American Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (3)romantic (3)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Do NOT get the end cut Prime RibTcoatVIPDined on 8/16/2014Was warned by the waitress that it would be medium/well, but what I received was something that never should have left the kitchen. Everything else was very good and have had the prime rib before and it was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placeMaryT62Dined on 8/6/2014This was my first time here. Beautifully decorated - they wait staff was efficiently and our waitresses was very knowledgable about the wine list and food. I was there with 2 friends and we all enjoyed the food - I had the turkey burger on pretzel roll with sweet potato fries delicious. We were there aon a Wedneday andthe house wines were on special - I had the house merlot it was very good looking forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Gene Rocks!timmerDined on 8/5/2014We visit this restaurant often! Our last visit had a lot of hiccups! But Gene stepped in to cover! The prime rib sandwich is great as well as the pounded pork tenderloin!This visit was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but soso servicehelloVIPDined on 7/29/2014It was a quiet/dead tues nite around 7p. It took almost 15 minutes AFTER being seated before one of the servers came over. For a place that had all of 3 diners, I'm not sure why it took so long for one of them to greet us. The food came out fast and hot after that, but I tip based on overall service.Special Features:
- Gene Rocks!timmerDined on 7/22/2014We are semi-regulars at this restaurant! We walked in, with a reservation, and waited at the host stand for a few minutes. The back server saw us and sat us outside. We were very grateful! We sat there for almost 25 minutes. Two other tables were seated after us! The server went to them, and we got nothing! We flagged the server Gene down! Explained that we had been sitting here for 25 minutes and that the two other tables had been approached and gotten drinks! He said we were not his table, but he would find out what was going on! He came back immediately and took care of us very well! He turned what could have been a bad experience into a great one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeMmommaDined on 6/24/2014Always have a good time here- I bring my son and sit in a both w/ a tv so I can actually enjoy dinner (he's 2)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighbor restaurantJrbxiiiDined on 6/12/2014Very accommodating, good service on a busy night, reasonable noise level, both indoor and outdoor sittingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 106 reviews are from the Barclay's American Grille reviews archive.
- Yum, grilled asparagusWalkerDined on 5/19/2014My boyfriend and I decided to give this place a try because it is within walking distance of the apartment and the menu looked good. I found this place on Groupon, so I had an added incentive to try it. There was no host and a sign to seat ourselves. I guess I didn't really need a reservation. At least I didn't at 6 pm on a Monday. After a few minutes an extremely polite server greeted us. Bf had the beer special. It was a good price. I had a decent but overpriced Zin. Bf had the meatloaf and loved it. I had the Black Pepper Crusted Filet Mignon. It was tastey but I was disappointed that there wasn't any crust on it. Nice cut though. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMikeDined on 5/16/2014Always a good experience at Barclay's. The fish & chips were particularly good and they have a nice selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- unsatisfactoryElaineDined on 5/15/2014M husband ordered a Delmonico steak medium and it was well done and very chewy. The service was very slow even though the restaurant was not busy.
- Great BrunchMmommaDined on 5/11/2014We went with my 19 month old for Mother's Day Brunch. Sounds like a nightmare right? But it wasn't! We didn't have to fight crowds or wait in long lines for food. Service was prompt and the seating wasn't cramped. They actually had kids cups w/ kids and straws which I'm finding to be hard to get at the places i dine. Overall, great brunch spot and we'll definitely do holiday brunch there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchwishmystomachhadmoreroomDined on 5/11/2014A couple times a year this restaurant, connected to the Carleton Hotel, puts out a brunch for special occasions. And.. it's worth it. It's a bit pricey but the food is excellent. This was our second visit back for brunch, too bad they don't do it more often. Everything from breakfast items to salmon and prime rib were all excellent. Wish my stomach had more room. The only thing I would hope would improve is the service. I never received the orange juice I ordered. The service staff worked as a team during brunch but each table was assigned an individual server. Although they were excellent about getting fresh, hot food out immediately, it appeared our table was assigned a newbie when it came to serving.Special Features:
- EmployeesThanksDined on 5/11/2014All the employees that we've had contact with are very personable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre foodChristineDined on 5/10/2014Prime Rib didn't seem fresh; vegetables overcooked - soggy.Special Features:
- Try the Ribs on WeekendsRedBeardVIPDined on 5/3/2014In the Carlton Hotel in Oak Park, this is in a quiet neighborhood and has great service and a wide variety of entree and starter options. Two of us had the ribs - try them on the weekend - and get a full slab and take some home. Excellent ribs. The service was also friendly and top notch.Special Features:
- MangiaDined on 4/17/2014nice ambiance as part of Carlton Hotel, but really IS A SPORTS BAR chicken provenciale ok but not great and neither was lamb burger maybe better to stick with beef burgers good enough overall however to warrant second trySpecial Features:
- Pretty GoodMigsDined on 3/30/2014I would characterize the place as an energetic bar scenic atmosphere. Booths are comfortable and well maintained. Service was moderate due to twice the wait staff brought food to our booth that was not ours. For a first time after the renovation I will pass these mistakes until the next visit.Special Features:
- For a fun evening with great food.JimSparksVIPDined on 3/28/2014Flatbreads are excellent as well as the burger. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GNOCaseyDined on 3/23/2014Went out to a movie with friends and stopped at this local gem. The staff and the food were great definitely going backSpecial Features:
- A nice findKevinDined on 3/22/2014I booked this through the Open Table app and have to say it was a really great surprise. The burgers were fantastic and the service was definitely up to par. I'm already planning on coming back and trying some of the other dishes they served to other tables. You can only eat so much in one visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, comfortable neighborhood spotKitzieDined on 3/9/2014I brought my 2 friends here as a change from the restaurant we usually go to for a special evening out. They both enjoyed it and the service was fabulous (although the restaurant wasn't very busy). We'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep pulling for this placeTcoatVIPDined on 2/28/2014Because it's a great space, great bar layout, and right in the heart of Oak Park. The Friday/Saturday Prime Rib special is .... special. Kids menu has chicken strips that are very tasty and ample ... but there continues to be something just "missing" from making this place a must go to destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienc, but not for groupsSFCStaffDined on 2/28/2014Having been here a couple of times before, but with one or two more friends, I had great experiences. Therefore, I knew this would be a great spot for my colleagues and I to enjoy happy hour. About eight of us showed up and not only were we asked to leave at 7:30 due to another group needing the area we were seated in, but the drinks were watered down and the "service charge" that was added to our individual charge was a turn off. I will come here again, but not in a group.Special Features:
- A Refreshing ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014I like Barclays' menu selection and the different "take" on common restaurant dishes; for example lamb burgers or fish and chips with a craft-beer batter. The service was good. We all enjoyed what we ordered. I had prime rib and found it excellent. It was a bit noisy the night we were there, making conversation a little challenging. The hostess was good about trying find a relatively quiet table. We visited with friends for several hours without being pushed to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barclay's met our expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Barclay's met our expectations of moderately priced, simple American food. We wanted something near by. Looked for times on Open Table. Wanted 6:30. Only available 5:45 or 8:45. Chose 5:45. We were seated in an empty room. Weird mix of attempt of class and large screen T.V.s. By 6:30 still mostly empty. The main room and bar area looked fun and lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Go-to RestaurantLB3416Dined on 1/14/2014Barclay's has become the restaurant we automatically think of when we want a special night out. We just celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary with dinner at Barclay's. We have never been disappointed. My husband had the rockfish special, which he said was outstanding. I had the pork tenderloin (which can sometimes be overdone); the pork was perfectly done. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Spot in OPAmyKDined on 1/4/2014Enjoyed dinner Saturday night. Highlights were the bleu cheese chips and steak bites (ops) and the prime rib, fish-n-chips & BBQ ribs. Our server was fine, but a smile would have been nice. For Oak Park, it seemed expensive, but food was really quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Barclay's American GrillElvisTheCarDined on 1/1/2014In town overnight unexpectedly, stayed at The Carleton Hotel. My wife is handicapped and in a wheel chair, so it was very nice to be able to go from our room to Barclays without battling the 8 inches of snow that fell outside. The appetizer was delicious and quickly devoured. The main meal portions plentiful and the wait staff attentive. Would return again without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAnnaDined on 12/31/2013I've been going here for years, but this is the first time we went one NYE. It was very busy, but our waitress still did a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindThe2ofUsDined on 12/31/2013Great place for special occasions or just looking for a great meal. Excellent food; have choices of eating in a booth, table or at the bar. No complaints about anything. But ... wish they opened before 5 pm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barclay's - Christmas EveJoank1Dined on 12/24/2013Noise level was fairly high. We just had appetizers and drinks. One of us had tummy troubles the next day from both or either the calamari or the blue cheese chip. They tasted pretty good at the time. Also, it was very breezy where we sat from the front door always opening and we were four tables away from the door leading to both the street entrance and the hotel entrance. It was very cold that night.Special Features:
- Great looking sunken bar surroundedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013Great looking sunken bar surrounded by a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehlocalgirl83Dined on 12/7/2013The food was good, but nothing memorable. I don't necessarily regret going, just won't be going ever again. The appetizers (oysters rockefeller and crab cakes were pretty darn good). My husband had some ribs and I had the pork tenderloin. All good but kind of "eh." The reason I wouldn't recommend this to a friend is because it is ridiculously too expensive for the quality of food.
- Go Barclays! Outstanding food,JassDined on 11/28/2013Go Barclays! Outstanding food, service and staff -Nothing disappoints. Barclays is the place for an elegant or casual evening.Special Features:
- ThanksgivingScarlettDined on 11/28/2013I had six guests this year as well. We were crammed into a booth. No one told us when to head to the buffet or where to start, our guests missed out on the salads and shrimps. When I went for a piece of Ham there was only one piece left so the carver just dropped that on my plate. The rest of the food was okay, nothing special, but afterwards it seemed like there may have been a sprinkle of MSG which I am very sensitive to. I don't think I will be booking there again. Our server also refused to apply a gift card with was going to be her extra tip aside from what was mandatory on the bill...don't know why I couldn't use the gift card? There was nothing on it except to say safeguard it like cash...no instruction not to use on certain days.Special Features:
- Barclay's is a gem in Oak ParkLB3416Dined on 11/22/2013We really like Barclay's American Grille. It's become our "go to" restaurant when we want something a little special, but not terribly expensive. The menu is extensive, offering everything from sandwiches to entrees. Depending on your mood (and your pocketbook), there is something for just about everybody. The service has always been dependable. I asked for a booth in a quiet area, and I was accommodated. Friday nights can be noisy. The bar is full and there are lots of larger groups. There is a quiet space that is off to the side of the restaurant that has a half wall separating it from the rest of the place. A nice space. Our server was friendly, but not overly so. The wait for the food was reasonable, considering how busy they were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood spotJoeBDined on 11/16/2013Good neighborhood spot with hit or miss offerings. The Chopped Salad is good and reasonably priced. Build-A-Burger is a reliable choice, as is the BBQ Pulled Pork and Mini Sandwiches. The Strip Steak sandwich on french bread was okay, but the melted chees toppings overpowered the steak. Seafood choices include Pretzel Crusted Rainbow Trout (too much pretzel, not enough trout), Micro Brew Battered Pacific Cod 'N' Chips (uninspired and probably frozen) and a good Pan Seared Tilapia. Slow roasted Prime Rib is a Friday/Saturday special, and is usually good, but with limited availability. Get their early, or you may have to settle for a well-done end cut - or nothing at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and tastytouspringDined on 11/15/2013This restaurant is consistent. We didn't order anything super-fancy and it was all very tasty. The apple crisp for dessert was made to order and fantastic. The service wasn't overly attentive but it was a busy night. Overall I enjoy this restaurant every time and like the casual atmosphere and lively ambience.Special Features:
- good foodziggyDined on 10/19/2013location good food moderate pricing outstanding service by servers and bus boys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not sure at this pointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2013I got the "earliest" time at 6:45pm on Father's Day; however, we arrived, the person said wait a min, then waited over 5 min to get seated. Over 75% of the restaurant was empty. They let us choose a booth but not in the best spot considering how empty it was. Our server was prompt for the 1st 5min for a before dinner drink & kept bugging every 2 min for when to put our order in. Brought our food before our appetizer was fully finished. Our server disappeared from before entrees were served till we were sitting w/ empty plates. What bugged me; She kept bugging us rather than "how are you doing", when the place was VERY empty on a Father's Day evening & then disappeared for a long time, then all of a sudden entrees were shoved on the table.