Barclay's American Grille
1120 Pleasant St
Oak Park, IL 60302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barclay's American Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barclaysamericangrille.com/
- Phone: 7088484250x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Barclay Room is located just off the main dining room and can accommodate up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Huston 7088484250x
A word from Barclay's American Grille
The restaurant serves classic American cuisine "with a twist". Signature burgers, BBQ ribs, fresh seafood and an array of steaks and chops and served with our amazing homemade sauces and creative toppings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Barclay's American Grille - Best Restaurants in Oak Park ›
Barclay's American Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (12)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great Food & Great ServiceKsaliDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I were doing a date night dinner. We found this place through google. We had never been so decided to give it a shot. We are glad we did! Our waitress was amazing and very knowledgeable about everything on the menu! Food was also amazing. There was not one thing i did not like! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Menu was solid - but the appetizers could use a few tweaksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itTeriDined on 9/20/2014Food was excellent and very reasonable, service was wonderful, atmosphere was delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & Attentive serviceMonicaDined on 9/17/2014I like Barclay's for the quiet atmosphere and the non-intrusive buy attentive manner of the servers. There is a good variety on the menu and the food is quite tasty. It would be a good choice if you are headed to the show at the Lake Theater (two blocks away). There is free parking on the surrounding streets after 5pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do NOT get the end cut Prime RibTcoatVIPDined on 8/16/2014Was warned by the waitress that it would be medium/well, but what I received was something that never should have left the kitchen. Everything else was very good and have had the prime rib before and it was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Ribs on the weekend...RedBeardVIPDined on 8/9/2014We started with excellent Caprese and Beet salads and two of use had ribs - very, very tender and a full rack was enough for dinner and a nice lunch follow-up, that reheated very well. Service was impeccable and iced tea and water were always in the glasses for an enjoyable al fresco dining experience. This is the second time we've tried the homemade sorbets - the raspberry and blood orange were standouts.Special Features:
- Loved this placeMaryT62Dined on 8/6/2014This was my first time here. Beautifully decorated - they wait staff was efficiently and our waitresses was very knowledgable about the wine list and food. I was there with 2 friends and we all enjoyed the food - I had the turkey burger on pretzel roll with sweet potato fries delicious. We were there aon a Wedneday andthe house wines were on special - I had the house merlot it was very good looking forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Gene Rocks!timmerDined on 8/5/2014We visit this restaurant often! Our last visit had a lot of hiccups! But Gene stepped in to cover! The prime rib sandwich is great as well as the pounded pork tenderloin!This visit was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but soso servicehelloVIPDined on 7/29/2014It was a quiet/dead tues nite around 7p. It took almost 15 minutes AFTER being seated before one of the servers came over. For a place that had all of 3 diners, I'm not sure why it took so long for one of them to greet us. The food came out fast and hot after that, but I tip based on overall service.Special Features:
- Gene Rocks!timmerDined on 7/22/2014We are semi-regulars at this restaurant! We walked in, with a reservation, and waited at the host stand for a few minutes. The back server saw us and sat us outside. We were very grateful! We sat there for almost 25 minutes. Two other tables were seated after us! The server went to them, and we got nothing! We flagged the server Gene down! Explained that we had been sitting here for 25 minutes and that the two other tables had been approached and gotten drinks! He said we were not his table, but he would find out what was going on! He came back immediately and took care of us very well! He turned what could have been a bad experience into a great one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 110 reviews are from the Barclay's American Grille reviews archive.
- Nice timeMmommaDined on 6/24/2014Always have a good time here- I bring my son and sit in a both w/ a tv so I can actually enjoy dinner (he's 2)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighbor restaurantJrbxiiiDined on 6/12/2014Very accommodating, good service on a busy night, reasonable noise level, both indoor and outdoor sittingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, grilled asparagusWalkerDined on 5/19/2014My boyfriend and I decided to give this place a try because it is within walking distance of the apartment and the menu looked good. I found this place on Groupon, so I had an added incentive to try it. There was no host and a sign to seat ourselves. I guess I didn't really need a reservation. At least I didn't at 6 pm on a Monday. After a few minutes an extremely polite server greeted us. Bf had the beer special. It was a good price. I had a decent but overpriced Zin. Bf had the meatloaf and loved it. I had the Black Pepper Crusted Filet Mignon. It was tastey but I was disappointed that there wasn't any crust on it. Nice cut though. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMikeDined on 5/16/2014Always a good experience at Barclay's. The fish & chips were particularly good and they have a nice selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- unsatisfactoryElaineDined on 5/15/2014M husband ordered a Delmonico steak medium and it was well done and very chewy. The service was very slow even though the restaurant was not busy.
- Great BrunchMmommaDined on 5/11/2014We went with my 19 month old for Mother's Day Brunch. Sounds like a nightmare right? But it wasn't! We didn't have to fight crowds or wait in long lines for food. Service was prompt and the seating wasn't cramped. They actually had kids cups w/ kids and straws which I'm finding to be hard to get at the places i dine. Overall, great brunch spot and we'll definitely do holiday brunch there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchwishmystomachhadmoreroomDined on 5/11/2014A couple times a year this restaurant, connected to the Carleton Hotel, puts out a brunch for special occasions. And.. it's worth it. It's a bit pricey but the food is excellent. This was our second visit back for brunch, too bad they don't do it more often. Everything from breakfast items to salmon and prime rib were all excellent. Wish my stomach had more room. The only thing I would hope would improve is the service. I never received the orange juice I ordered. The service staff worked as a team during brunch but each table was assigned an individual server. Although they were excellent about getting fresh, hot food out immediately, it appeared our table was assigned a newbie when it came to serving.Special Features:
- EmployeesThanksDined on 5/11/2014All the employees that we've had contact with are very personable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre foodChristineDined on 5/10/2014Prime Rib didn't seem fresh; vegetables overcooked - soggy.Special Features:
- Try the Ribs on WeekendsRedBeardVIPDined on 5/3/2014In the Carlton Hotel in Oak Park, this is in a quiet neighborhood and has great service and a wide variety of entree and starter options. Two of us had the ribs - try them on the weekend - and get a full slab and take some home. Excellent ribs. The service was also friendly and top notch.Special Features:
- MangiaDined on 4/17/2014nice ambiance as part of Carlton Hotel, but really IS A SPORTS BAR chicken provenciale ok but not great and neither was lamb burger maybe better to stick with beef burgers good enough overall however to warrant second trySpecial Features:
- Pretty GoodMigsDined on 3/30/2014I would characterize the place as an energetic bar scenic atmosphere. Booths are comfortable and well maintained. Service was moderate due to twice the wait staff brought food to our booth that was not ours. For a first time after the renovation I will pass these mistakes until the next visit.Special Features:
- For a fun evening with great food.JimSparksVIPDined on 3/28/2014Flatbreads are excellent as well as the burger. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GNOCaseyDined on 3/23/2014Went out to a movie with friends and stopped at this local gem. The staff and the food were great definitely going backSpecial Features:
- A nice findKevinDined on 3/22/2014I booked this through the Open Table app and have to say it was a really great surprise. The burgers were fantastic and the service was definitely up to par. I'm already planning on coming back and trying some of the other dishes they served to other tables. You can only eat so much in one visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, comfortable neighborhood spotKitzieDined on 3/9/2014I brought my 2 friends here as a change from the restaurant we usually go to for a special evening out. They both enjoyed it and the service was fabulous (although the restaurant wasn't very busy). We'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep pulling for this placeTcoatVIPDined on 2/28/2014Because it's a great space, great bar layout, and right in the heart of Oak Park. The Friday/Saturday Prime Rib special is .... special. Kids menu has chicken strips that are very tasty and ample ... but there continues to be something just "missing" from making this place a must go to destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienc, but not for groupsSFCStaffDined on 2/28/2014Having been here a couple of times before, but with one or two more friends, I had great experiences. Therefore, I knew this would be a great spot for my colleagues and I to enjoy happy hour. About eight of us showed up and not only were we asked to leave at 7:30 due to another group needing the area we were seated in, but the drinks were watered down and the "service charge" that was added to our individual charge was a turn off. I will come here again, but not in a group.Special Features:
- A Refreshing ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014I like Barclays' menu selection and the different "take" on common restaurant dishes; for example lamb burgers or fish and chips with a craft-beer batter. The service was good. We all enjoyed what we ordered. I had prime rib and found it excellent. It was a bit noisy the night we were there, making conversation a little challenging. The hostess was good about trying find a relatively quiet table. We visited with friends for several hours without being pushed to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodGrhandweDined on 2/14/2014Always good food, great drinks and great spot! Whether it be a special occasion or stopping in for drinks and appetizers, we always have the best time. Try the pomegranite sangria or the flatbreads!!Special Features:
- Poor remodelOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/14/2014This place went from classic decor to modern ugly. The food is not good enough to tolerate the bad atmosphere.
- Barclay's met our expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Barclay's met our expectations of moderately priced, simple American food. We wanted something near by. Looked for times on Open Table. Wanted 6:30. Only available 5:45 or 8:45. Chose 5:45. We were seated in an empty room. Weird mix of attempt of class and large screen T.V.s. By 6:30 still mostly empty. The main room and bar area looked fun and lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Go-to RestaurantLB3416Dined on 1/14/2014Barclay's has become the restaurant we automatically think of when we want a special night out. We just celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary with dinner at Barclay's. We have never been disappointed. My husband had the rockfish special, which he said was outstanding. I had the pork tenderloin (which can sometimes be overdone); the pork was perfectly done. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Spot in OPAmyKDined on 1/4/2014Enjoyed dinner Saturday night. Highlights were the bleu cheese chips and steak bites (ops) and the prime rib, fish-n-chips & BBQ ribs. Our server was fine, but a smile would have been nice. For Oak Park, it seemed expensive, but food was really quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Barclay's American GrillElvisTheCarDined on 1/1/2014In town overnight unexpectedly, stayed at The Carleton Hotel. My wife is handicapped and in a wheel chair, so it was very nice to be able to go from our room to Barclays without battling the 8 inches of snow that fell outside. The appetizer was delicious and quickly devoured. The main meal portions plentiful and the wait staff attentive. Would return again without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAnnaDined on 12/31/2013I've been going here for years, but this is the first time we went one NYE. It was very busy, but our waitress still did a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindThe2ofUsDined on 12/31/2013Great place for special occasions or just looking for a great meal. Excellent food; have choices of eating in a booth, table or at the bar. No complaints about anything. But ... wish they opened before 5 pm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barclay's - Christmas EveJoank1Dined on 12/24/2013Noise level was fairly high. We just had appetizers and drinks. One of us had tummy troubles the next day from both or either the calamari or the blue cheese chip. They tasted pretty good at the time. Also, it was very breezy where we sat from the front door always opening and we were four tables away from the door leading to both the street entrance and the hotel entrance. It was very cold that night.Special Features:
- Great looking sunken bar surroundedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013Great looking sunken bar surrounded by a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehlocalgirl83Dined on 12/7/2013The food was good, but nothing memorable. I don't necessarily regret going, just won't be going ever again. The appetizers (oysters rockefeller and crab cakes were pretty darn good). My husband had some ribs and I had the pork tenderloin. All good but kind of "eh." The reason I wouldn't recommend this to a friend is because it is ridiculously too expensive for the quality of food.