237 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.barclayprime.com/
- Phone: 2157327560
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Luxury and sophistication meet posh and chic at Barclay Prime. A sexy revamp of the traditional steakhouse, Barclay's menu offers subtle twists on steakhouse fare. Reserve the entire restaurant for a corporate event, host a celebration in the private room or hang out with friends in the lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650
- Cross Street: Locust
- Public Transit: The 12 Bus Route runs on Locust Street & curls around Rittenhouse Square. Get off at the intersection of 18th Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available at 18th & Locust Streets for $26/car & $30/SUV's. Public lots are available on South Rittenhouse Square & Chancellor Street. Street parking is also available.
A word from Barclay Prime
Barclay Prime is a luxury boutique steakhouse serving a traditional yet modern menu in a comfortable & contemporary setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Barclay Prime - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Barclay Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)fit for foodies (81)romantic (81)notable wine list (74)good for groups (40)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (31)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014the best steak of my life. service was quick and good. waiter was knowledgeable and helpful. chairs were uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rittenhouse steakhousedrhadVIPDined on 9/13/2014Four blocks west of Broad St. you will an elegant steakhouse where decor is classic and cuisine and service are excellent.Special Features:
- Oh my God loudGovolsDined on 9/12/2014Great food. Great service. So loud I couldn't hear the guy I was interviewing talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good but it can be betterroxieDined on 9/12/20141)For a fine dine restaurant, it was indeed noisy, I had such a hard time hearing my server, 2)I didn't like the fact that the men's and ladies room were together, that was the first I ever encountered, 3) most fine dine does have a complimentary dessert for a birthday occasion but this one doesn't acknowledge itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak EverNikkiB912Dined on 9/12/2014My family (adults only) went for my birthday and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. They answered any questions you might have and the service was great. The decor was a little off that's the only reason I didn't give 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- devineeatingDined on 9/12/2014everything was superb,however, it is a bit pricey. valet parking is also high. it is worth a splurge. the waiter was excellent. the time between courses was perfectly timed. i highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Anniversary Bliss!pilotJDVIPDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic night at Barclay Prime! It was our Anniversary, so we decided to head into Philly to enjoy a fine meal. We made a reservations for a table of four at 5:00pm. The restaurant atmosphere was inviting and comfortable, without being pretentious or cold. That being said however, this may not be the best choice if you are looking for a very private intimate table for two. All in all our meals were fantastic, but I would not order the hundred $100 cheesesteaks again without the assurance that we would taste the truffles. Our waiter Matthew was outstanding and I would definitely return for a repeat experience. All in all, Barclay prime scores five stars! Try it but expect a high price tag. Plan on $200 per person.Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendslgoodmancpaVIPDined on 9/11/2014Been to Barclay Prime over the years and my most recent visits have just been ok, nothing special. The service is always great but the food has not been as stellar as it once was. The prices are at the top of the scale, but the food was average. Not as magical a restaurant as it once was and also very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second to noneArmorer1984Dined on 9/10/2014Barclay Prime had a lot to live up to, as their reputation is what brought us from Nebraska to eat there. We were not disappointed, but impressed. Everything was exquisite in every detail, from the food to the staff to the space itself. Definitely recommend Barclay to everyone we know and maybe they will make the trip too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNotgoodDined on 9/9/2014I heard good things about BP however our experience for the $$ was very disappointing. The dinner started off well but once the restaurant filled up the service slowed as well. Our waiter was great then he got a party of 12 and forgot where our table was (which was right next to the party of 12). The steaks were all undercooked no one from the waiter or management came back to see how our steaks were, we were never offered additional drinks and had to flag down someone to get water. I would definetly think twice before I came back to spend that kind of money. Very disappointing.
- Food and Service Don't Equal PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014The setting is nice however, I felt that the food and service did not match up to the high priced menu.
- Simply the BestsechsgangVIPDined on 9/8/2014In a city where most steak restaurants take a turn for the worst after years of comfortable running...Barclay Prime continues to impress and is without doubt still the best steakhouse in town. The meat is extremely high quality and the preparation is always spectacular. The prices are up there, but the quality and service are right there with it.Special Features:
- Quiet Night, Excellent find.NoleDave904Dined on 9/7/2014We were in town visiting for the Jaguars-Eagles game. Assuming that's why it was so quiet. Place is probably packed otherwise. Excellent Veal and Lamb choices. Server knew her wine. Her name was Amy. I think she might have been the bartender too. She was excellent as well. Will go back if in Philadelphia again. A must for fellow carnivorous diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely dinnerBetsyVIPDined on 9/7/2014This was my first time at Barclay Prime, and I enjoyed it! The food was great, and the service was helpful without being overbearing. I liked the vibe, the music and the decor. I will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentKeithBrooksDined on 9/6/2014Always the same great service, excellent food, attentive management and charming atmosphere. Cannot say enough good things about this place. Special mention to Tara our waitress, she was absolutely fantastic.Special Features:
- Best meal I ever hadBenjDined on 9/6/2014Good was outstanding. Worth every penny. Service was excellent. We'll definetly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion Place!GreatSpotDined on 9/6/2014I took a special lady to Barclay Prime for her birthday and the place exceeded all my expectations. The ambiance very relaxed and elegant and the service was impeccable. I informed the restaurant in advance that my reservation was for a birthday and they immediately greeted us kindly and with a special "Happy Birthday" to my guest, which was extremely cool! We sat down at a table against the wall and were blown away with how comfy the seats were and how elegant the inside was. Our waiter, Curtis, extended another"Happy Birthday" wish to my guest and made us feel right at home. The steaks were delicious and the sides were mouth watering. The dinner ended with a great dessert and a free piece of cake on the house! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGreatfoodDined on 9/6/2014Our food was superb. I had the dry aged NY steak, and my partner had the Chilean sea bass. Both were excellent and superbly prepared. The desert was to die for. Great restaurant for dinner and special occasionsSpecial Features:
- popovers alone are worth the tripge8moodVIPDined on 9/5/2014I dream about those popovers. Yum. We had an incredibly tasty and romantic meal with superb service. Our waiter recommended the yellow tail crudo to start which proved to be an excellent as stated. Wedge salad was great. Steak was cooked to perfection, as promised. All side dishes were just delightful. The wine, prosecco, cocktails, and scotch all completed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!Flagirl3Dined on 9/2/2014Everything about our evening here was great! Glenn, our waiter, never rushed us and made wonderful suggestions. The food was very good-our steak was cooked perfectly with a lovely grilled crust, and the banana cake -divine! We split everything-no problem here.The room is "Mad Men" cool, but comfortable. I like that the table are not too close together. Glenn even sent us home with a little cake present for our anniversary. Oh-they called early to see if we'd like a candle on our cake, too. You cannot go wrong-wonderful food, service, ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Very inventive mexican food and great guacamole. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good but not specialFlowersDined on 8/30/2014Although this was not my first dining experience at Barclay Prime, I do not remember it being so pricey. I did not order the steak I wanted because it was too expensive. If that is not a factor for you, enjoy your meal. The food is good and the ambiance lovely.
- Top of the ListleeneyDined on 8/29/2014We had a great time. Our waiter, Matt Penn was terrific! His service to us was excellent. I had one of the top two meals I have ever enjoyed at Barclay Prime that night. Everything we ordered was exceptional from appetizers to salad to entree to dessert course. I plan to return. Well Done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SteakgetinmybellyDined on 8/29/2014Our food was amazing. Everything from the char on the steak to the popovers was perfect. My only complaint is that the management staff came off rather snooty and did not seem to treat all diners equally.Special Features:
- setchDined on 8/29/2014This was our second time at Barclay Prime and it was better than the first. We ordered the exact same dishes (lobster bisque, sliders, chilean sea bass and filet). The sliders are hard to describe other than simply saying they are the most flavorful burger you have ever had. My doesn't like fish, but loves the sea bass - light, very flavorful, and unlike any other. The lobster bisque has more lobster in it than anyone could reasonably expect. This time we also ordered desert. It's rare that all three courses are at the same level of excellence, but that is exactly what you get at Barclay Prime. The peach crepes were unbelievable. The ambiance is great, not too loud and the seating is truly unique. Service is outstanding, among the best.Special Features:
- SupurbNYCfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Barclay Prime does not disappoint. The food is consistantly excellent, service is attentive and impeccable. This is my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoChangDined on 8/28/2014Not just great steaks but great appetizers, salads, non-beef options.Special Features:
- Excellent but not my styleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014We had a great time, food was great, service very good but the decor is just not our style. We are a little old fashion and as a result we like the more traditional look. This is more modern look and while I have nothing per se against it, just not our style. With that said one of our favorite dishes is Dover sole which we both had. Excellent! Also notable which we have not seen in a while were the popovers. A favorite. We had excellent salads. Mine was beet salad which I had with a balsamic at my request. It was one of the best beet salads ever. We had a very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. Food was really good albeit extremely expensive. I recommend going for special occasions. They did throw in a free desert for her which was nice.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!JoeBamVIPDined on 8/23/2014After shuffling our three daughters off to college, my wife and I decided to celebrate with a night out and headed to Barclay Prime! The service, food, attention to detail, and overall experience is absolutely unmatchable! Jason is the BEST! The entire staff is the BEST! You will never go wrong heading to BP, whether it be a romantic date, business dinner, or special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakPierogiDined on 8/23/2014I've eaten at some of the finest steak restaurants in ny and Chicago, and the ribeye I had at Barclay was better than all of them. Great service great food from appetizers through desert. The retro vibe of the dining room provides great topics for conversation as does the unisex bathroom. The only neg. feedback I have is that the bathroom could use an attendant as we were there for a later reservation and the facility was "well used" by 10:30. Also they have the bench seating along both sides of the restaurant so if that's not your thing be sure and request a stand alone table.Special Features:
- Good Food So So ServiceFoodFunDined on 8/23/2014We chose Barclay Prime to celebrate a going away for college after having been there a couple times before. Menu choices are ample as is the wine list (our original choice wasn't available so we wound up with a good second option). One steak order needed to go back when the dish was not edible (extremely tough) but the replacement was handled well and the new dish was delicious. Where the visit fell down was with service to the table--empty water glasses, missing place settings. Overall our meal was enjoyable and we will return. The vibe is very cool and seating is very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timewforbes1Dined on 8/23/2014truly excellent! Expensive but wonderful in every aspectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/service; better for groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Although there was to be valet parking, it was already full by 6:30 so parking was a challenge (and in the rain). We were seated immediately and the service was great throughout the night. The food was really good - he had a steak and I had the sea bass. The ambiance was a little weird. Tight seating areas and a bit noisy. I think it's a better atmosphere for groups vs. our romantic dinner for 2. I liked how they had their wine list separated by region and type.Special Features:
- DeliciousSjw26Dined on 8/21/2014One of the best filets I've ever had! Great sides and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday ExperienceAcapVIPDined on 8/17/2014Excellent and personal service. The team were all attentive and friendly. The food was excellent and the experience was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentDined on 8/16/2014Always excellent. great service, favorite restaurant in the citySpecial Features:
- An amazing dinner at Barclay Prime!meatisgoodDined on 8/16/2014Went to Barclay Prime for my husband's birthday and we were blown away by the wonderful meal, experience, and service. Glenn, our server, was attentive and offered us excellent suggestions without feeling like he was being too invasive. Our entrees were exquisite and the steaks were cooked to perfection. They even sent us home with a mini birthday cake to enjoy when we got home. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking to celebrate a special occasion, holiday, or if you just want to wow a special someone. I cannot wait to go back here for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesDktran31VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place has one of the most extensive and expensive wine lists ever. The ambiance is classy and romantic. The interior is a mix between classic and modern. The menu is not too long but includes many delicious items. My date and I enjoyed the scallop appetizer and had the infamous cheesesteak and sea bass as our main courses. We had sorbet/ice cream for desert. The scallops and sea bass were both excellent. Scallops were huge and well-cooked & the sea bass was the best I've had outside of a Japanese establishment. The cheesesteak was alright. Way too greasy, could not really taste the wagyu. I guess it's cool to try once but I would not order it again. Definitely would rather pay for a wagyu filet so I can actually enjoy it.Special Features:
- AmazingAlexEatsDined on 8/16/2014The food, decor and service were phenomenal! Everything was top-notch. It was definitely a great experience. Pricey but, worth every penny!Special Features: