237 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.barclayprime.com/
- Phone: 2157327560
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Luxury and sophistication meet posh and chic at Barclay Prime. A sexy revamp of the traditional steakhouse, Barclay's menu offers subtle twists on steakhouse fare. Reserve the entire restaurant for a corporate event, host a celebration in the private room or hang out with friends in the lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650
- Cross Street: Locust
- Public Transit: The 12 Bus Route runs on Locust Street & curls around Rittenhouse Square. Get off at the intersection of 18th Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available at 18th & Locust Streets for $26/car & $30/SUV's. Public lots are available on South Rittenhouse Square & Chancellor Street. Street parking is also available.
A word from Barclay Prime
Barclay Prime is a luxury boutique steakhouse serving a traditional yet modern menu in a comfortable & contemporary setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Barclay Prime - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Barclay Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (134)notable wine list (80)romantic (78)fit for foodies (75)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent but not my styleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014We had a great time, food was great, service very good but the decor is just not our style. We are a little old fashion and as a result we like the more traditional look. This is more modern look and while I have nothing per se against it, just not our style. With that said one of our favorite dishes is Dover sole which we both had. Excellent! Also notable which we have not seen in a while were the popovers. A favorite. We had excellent salads. Mine was beet salad which I had with a balsamic at my request. It was one of the best beet salads ever. We had a very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. Food was really good albeit extremely expensive. I recommend going for special occasions. They did throw in a free desert for her which was nice.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!JoeBamVIPDined on 8/23/2014After shuffling our three daughters off to college, my wife and I decided to celebrate with a night out and headed to Barclay Prime! The service, food, attention to detail, and overall experience is absolutely unmatchable! Jason is the BEST! The entire staff is the BEST! You will never go wrong heading to BP, whether it be a romantic date, business dinner, or special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakPierogiDined on 8/23/2014I've eaten at some of the finest steak restaurants in ny and Chicago, and the ribeye I had at Barclay was better than all of them. Great service great food from appetizers through desert. The retro vibe of the dining room provides great topics for conversation as does the unisex bathroom. The only neg. feedback I have is that the bathroom could use an attendant as we were there for a later reservation and the facility was "well used" by 10:30. Also they have the bench seating along both sides of the restaurant so if that's not your thing be sure and request a stand alone table.Special Features:
- Good Food So So ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014We chose Barclay Prime to celebrate a going away for college after having been there a couple times before. Menu choices are ample as is the wine list (our original choice wasn't available so we wound up with a good second option). One steak order needed to go back when the dish was not edible (extremely tough) but the replacement was handled well and the new dish was delicious. Where the visit fell down was with service to the table--empty water glasses, missing place settings. Overall our meal was enjoyable and we will return. The vibe is very cool and seating is very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timewforbes1Dined on 8/23/2014truly excellent! Expensive but wonderful in every aspectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/service; better for groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Although there was to be valet parking, it was already full by 6:30 so parking was a challenge (and in the rain). We were seated immediately and the service was great throughout the night. The food was really good - he had a steak and I had the sea bass. The ambiance was a little weird. Tight seating areas and a bit noisy. I think it's a better atmosphere for groups vs. our romantic dinner for 2. I liked how they had their wine list separated by region and type.Special Features:
- DeliciousSjw26Dined on 8/21/2014One of the best filets I've ever had! Great sides and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday ExperienceAcapDined on 8/17/2014Excellent and personal service. The team were all attentive and friendly. The food was excellent and the experience was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentDined on 8/16/2014Always excellent. great service, favorite restaurant in the citySpecial Features:
- An amazing dinner at Barclay Prime!meatisgoodDined on 8/16/2014Went to Barclay Prime for my husband's birthday and we were blown away by the wonderful meal, experience, and service. Glenn, our server, was attentive and offered us excellent suggestions without feeling like he was being too invasive. Our entrees were exquisite and the steaks were cooked to perfection. They even sent us home with a mini birthday cake to enjoy when we got home. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking to celebrate a special occasion, holiday, or if you just want to wow a special someone. I cannot wait to go back here for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesDktran31VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place has one of the most extensive and expensive wine lists ever. The ambiance is classy and romantic. The interior is a mix between classic and modern. The menu is not too long but includes many delicious items. My date and I enjoyed the scallop appetizer and had the infamous cheesesteak and sea bass as our main courses. We had sorbet/ice cream for desert. The scallops and sea bass were both excellent. Scallops were huge and well-cooked & the sea bass was the best I've had outside of a Japanese establishment. The cheesesteak was alright. Way too greasy, could not really taste the wagyu. I guess it's cool to try once but I would not order it again. Definitely would rather pay for a wagyu filet so I can actually enjoy it.Special Features:
- AmazingAlexEatsDined on 8/16/2014The food, decor and service were phenomenal! Everything was top-notch. It was definitely a great experience. Pricey but, worth every penny!Special Features:
- Best steak house everpeacetoallVIPDined on 8/13/2014Every single dish we had was outstanding, from 3 varieties of steak, to lamb chops to the sea bass. Great appetizers. It is really a special place. Have been 3 times this summer and the food has been consistently superb. Service this time was not up to the level of the other two times (different waiter), but it still was good enough for us to have a fantastic time.Special Features:
- Great ServiceKimmyGDined on 8/9/2014Went here with a friend to celebrate and loved the service and scallops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Time Dining ThereOskie53Dined on 8/9/2014The whole experience was beyond our expectations! From greeting at the door to the special attention from Glen, our waiter, I couldn't ask for anything better. I wanted to take some special friends from out of town to a fine dining restaurant, and I was recommended to try out Barclay Prime. My friends and I loved all our entrees. Glen recommeded a carbonara to accompany our meals and we were very pleased it was exactly what we wished for. We started with the lobster bisque, king crab legs, and caesar salad. Then we had inbone filet mignon with the truffle mac & cheese, sauteed mushrooms and broccoli. My friends kept talking about the meal and service at Barclay even the next day! I would go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leave Kids & Strollers at HomemadisonaveVIPDined on 8/8/2014Top shelf dining experience. Service-- James was PHENOMENAL. Great personality, poised, & perfect amount of chatting Appetizers--1. Pass on the gnocchi. Good effort w/lime & pea flavors; however, gnocchi was extremely bland. 2. Foie Gras was delicious! Flavor was buttery-rich & black cherries were a perfect complement. Entree-- Dry-aged ribeye was a perfect med rare. Bernaise sauce was fresh & lemony - best I've had. Steak didn't need a sauce, but I wasn't going to let the incredible bernaise go to waste. Side dish-- Truffle Mac&Cheese. Can truly taste the truffle oil in the mac & cheese. A must order. Ambience-- Comfy leather seating makes for intimate & Adult dining. BP was empty by 10pm that night. Seemed a little odd for a Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014We attended Barclay Prime for our 5th wedding anniversary and it was memorable. The restaurant is open with white marble table tops, and surrounded with walls lined with books. The service is inpeccable (ask for James), and the wine list is extensive. The food is amazing, and the pop-overs are fresh from the oven! If you have a special occasion, Barclay Prime is the place to go!Special Features:
- Grownup food, service, & atmosphereFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The décor is a kick - a throwback to "high style and sophistication" of the 70s, and it is done really well. For that period, the environment seems as though it would have been a restaurant with hints of being in a library (books, shelves, and comfortable seating - but all very light and uncluttered). The menu is eclectic, with something to please anyone, but the steaks are what attracted us, and the steaks are why we're glad we came. The beef was excellent, the starters and sides were marvelous, and the service was professional and attentive throughout.Special Features:
- Best steak I ever hadfinewineVIPDined on 7/31/2014First time there and tried the Wagyu 10 oz strip from Japan - At 60 years old and a steak lover I can say it was best steak I ever ate, melted in your mouth - son had same and he agreed. Of course pricey at $115 each, but for a very special occasion, worth the indulgence if you can afford it. Everything else was great except the onion ring shoestrings - too salty which we mentioned to our great waiter. Homemade ice creams and sorbets were excellent. We will go again to celebrate something in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible!!!!dosstyDined on 7/26/2014Expensive but worth every penny. Definitely the best piece of steak I have ever had. The waiter was great as well.Special Features:
- Classy establishmentTrisha23Dined on 7/25/2014Barclay Prime has a swanky atmosphere. Nice choice of wines and beautifully crafted menu selections. Our food was outstanding and the knife selection was impressive. Our waiter Matthew was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and how dishes were prepared. He was friendly and he made sure we were comfortable so we enjoyed ourselves. We had an awesome time and can't wait to visit Barclay Prime again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakhouse ever.peacetoallVIPDined on 7/22/2014Just the best steakhouse. Period. Not only in Philadelphia, but in any place I have been
- Great service, good foodVPMDVIPDined on 7/20/2014As usually, food was consistently good. Sides were great. Wine list really good, and service great.Special Features:
- OutstandingOutstandingDined on 7/20/2014I've eaten my fair share of steak and without a doubt Barclay Prime is the best. The bone in filet was flavorful and tender. The appetizers and sides were fantastic, as was the coconut cream pie. The service was impeccable. I highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The Steak!TheMortgageMarkDined on 7/19/2014Best Steak I have ever had. Great wine selection. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Attention to detail outstandingHobokengirlDined on 7/16/2014Overall a fantastic evening. Completely impressed my client so I thank you. Only when it got busy did I feel that we were a bit forgotten, but it was quickly overlooked when you brought the chocolate truffles.
- Amazing experience!Foodlover31Dined on 7/12/2014Barclay Prime was an amazing experience! Food and service was above and beyond our expectation! If you're in the Philadelphia area, and are looking for a fantastic meal, try Barclay Prime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Starr RestaurantICameISawIAteDined on 7/10/2014We've been to a few of Stephen Starr's restaurants and this one is his best by far. We went to a very expensive, well-reviewed steakhouse in Philadelphia last year for my husband's birthday and there is NO COMPARISON between that and Barclay Prime. Incredible food, attentive service, creative drink list--we tipped 30% and it still didn't feel like enough! For any special occasion or if you just want to splurge on a delicious meal, you'll surely have no regrets. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right on!MaggieDined on 7/5/2014Everything was great from start to finish. The food as well as the service.Special Features:
- Fell short of expectationsdabradVIPDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant has such a reputation of being a great steakhouse. It fell short of that reputation on our visit. The tuna tartar and oysters were good, but not amazing. The dry aged Ribeye was the best food item of the night. It was very good. The Wagyu New York strip was lacking flavor and was not as tender as it should be. For double the price of the ribeye, you would expect a truly outstanding piece of meat. Unfortunately it wasn't.Special Features:
- Best in the cityLgal3Dined on 6/28/2014By far the best piece of steak I've ever had! 16 oz 28 day dried ny strip is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meateaters delightLarryTVIPDined on 6/27/2014If you're a carnivore, this is the place for you. High quality meat, prepared perfectly. Excellent service, good drinks, everything you expect from a top notch steak house and while I'm not a steak house diner ordinarily, this place does it to perfection.Special Features:
- Excellent SteakhousetraveldinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014In a historic building near downtown. Fun retro modern décor with brightly sofas and upholstered armchairs for seating at marble tables. Great wine selection. The Alaskan King crab and yellowtail crudo were very tasty, but we have had better lobster bisque (it seemed a little heavy on the white wine). The 28 day dry aged strip steak was phenomenal with a great buttery taste and texture. The staff is very attentive and friendly yet unobtrusive. They even split our steak on separate plates for us without requesting. Their signature desert was amazing for the peanut butter fans at our table and I loved the decadent chocolate cake with molten center. This restaurant is definitely worth visiting.Special Features:
- ....1111Dined on 6/24/2014..........................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day for a foodieSTEAKDined on 6/15/2014This is not a stodgy steakhouse ! I wanted to take my husband somewhere he could enjoy a perfectly cooked prime dry aged steak. He was extremely impressed by the beef, and the level of service, which was attentive yet unobtrusive. Our waiter was knowledgeable and courteous. The oysters were divine. He thoroughly enjoyed his NY strip as well as our son who ordered the dry aged rib eye. My veal porterhouse was succulent and cooked to perfection as were all our steaks. We all loved the creamed spinach, I was not a previous fan. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love.. but not the steakTracyVIPDined on 6/15/2014My family had the waggu filet. They loved it. I had the ribeye. Thick and very tough. Love the atmosphere and sides. Just once again, disappointed with my dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Took my honey there for father's day, first time and we loved it! Service and food was Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service EverSteakMan2014Dined on 6/14/2014A few of my buddies and I drove from Washington, DC to Philly, just to check out Barclay Prime! The front end staff was great. We got there in advance of our reservation, and were seated at the bar for a few minutes. No problems, yet. Once we were seated, we were "greeted" by our server, Jason. NO CONVERSATION! He just hands us the menus and gives us a beer list. He never mentioned the specials, which we heard described by other patrons. He forgot 2 of our drinks. He rarely checked on us for refills or anything for that matter. We got better service from the bread server (the popovers are great by the way!) Everything about the meal was fantastic. Great steak and sides. Horrible server. I'm not sure that I will go back!Special Features:
- Excellent!MrNEWZVIPDined on 6/7/2014Had the steak and the $100 Cheesesteak. The steak was out of this world!Special Features: