237 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.barclayprime.com/
- Phone: 2157327560
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Luxury and sophistication meet posh and chic at Barclay Prime. A sexy revamp of the traditional steakhouse, Barclay's menu offers subtle twists on steakhouse fare. Reserve the entire restaurant for a corporate event, host a celebration in the private room or hang out with friends in the lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650
- Cross Street: Locust
- Public Transit: The 12 Bus Route runs on Locust Street & curls around Rittenhouse Square. Get off at the intersection of 18th Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available at 18th & Locust Streets for $26/car & $30/SUV's. Public lots are available on South Rittenhouse Square & Chancellor Street. Street parking is also available.
A word from Barclay Prime
Barclay Prime is a luxury boutique steakhouse serving a traditional yet modern menu in a comfortable & contemporary setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Barclay Prime - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Barclay Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (131)romantic (84)fit for foodies (78)notable wine list (69)good for groups (37)hot spot (31)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Barclay PrimephillyfoodieDined on 10/18/2014Yet another amazing dinner at Barclay Prime. Started off with the white truffle served on home made fettuccine. Delicious! Then had the lobster bisque which is amazing. Then had the best Caesar Salad ever. For an entree had the porterhouse which was perfectly cooked with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Capped the night off with the sorbets. So good. Can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:
- SpecialquichegirlDined on 10/17/2014This was our second time dining at Barclay Prime & it didn't disappoint. We came with two other couples to celebrate a milestone birthday. Food was top notch, only to be outdone by the wonderful service. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Good meal, priceySue56Dined on 10/12/2014Our waiter Jeff was knowledgeable and attentive. The Wagyu filet was outstanding as was the foi gras. Nice for a very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no mis-steak they are # 1BucketlistitemDined on 10/12/2014An interesting evening of culinary delight as my wife and I experienced dinner at Barclay Prime to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. We parked at a local parking garage adjacent to Rittenhouse Square; ($27.00). We were greeted by the receptionist and told that we were early but they could seat us or go to the bar. We opted to go to the table. We were greeted by all restaurant employees wishing us a happy anniversary. The server announced her name and supplied us with all the necessary information to answer our questions. The prices were not in question as I had a $400 dollar gift card. The meal was awesome the beef was cooked to order and melted in your mouth. The sauces were special. I splurged with a $124 bottle. 5 star deservedSpecial Features:
- One of our Philly favorites!ab12VIPDined on 10/10/2014We had dined at Barclay Prime once in the past with a large group of people and wanted to experience it as a couple. The service was just as amazing for two as it was for ten. Food was delicious....I never thought that I would fall in love with roasted broccoli, but it happened. Steaks were amazing, martinis were excellent, no complaints on the wine list. I only wish that we were still hungry for dessert....next time!Special Features:
- Rick made it a fun nightletseatVIPDined on 10/10/2014A perfect place for a celebration! Best tater tots ever. Best s'more ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wake up and get back in line!user1101Dined on 10/7/2014I've dined here many times over the course of several years. Barclay Prime is consistently one of the best steakhouses in Philadelphia. Overall, everything was very good, but a few criticisms. The wine list- extensive selection, but very overpriced at 4x retail. The side dishes- the broccoli could have been great, but the cook was overzealous with the lemon and it became a lemony, sour mess. The steak- mine was excellent, but my friend's was supposed to be Pittsburgh rare (seared, but cool on the inside), and it came out medium rare, exactly like mine. That is not a hard order to get right, so that was disappointing. The kitchen staff needs to get back in line, get the orders right and season the dishes correctly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointingFrazierCrane817VIPDined on 10/4/2014Based on the positive reviewed, we expected to be rocked by one of the best steakhouses in Philadelphia, but the only things that got rocked were our wallets. The ambiance is lively, if not a bit loud. The appetizers of oysters and porcini mushrooms were both superb, but the steaks were very disappointing. Since we were celebrating an occasion, we decided to splurge on the waygu steaks, priced at $95 and $115. Our server described them as being very marbled. My steak arrived lukewarm and my friend's was overdone. We sent his back and shared mine while we waited. The steaks were far from marbled and definitely not worth anywhere near the price. I would never spend that much again for what I would describe as average cuts of beef.Special Features:
- Excellent.....As usualJoeBamVIPDined on 10/4/2014Celebrated our anniversary at our favorite steakhouse in the entire country! Great service by Jason, hands down the BEST ribeye anywhere, just a great time once again! Will be back again and again, they have it right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAPro12Dined on 10/4/2014I brought my girlfriend of 8 years to Barclay Prime for our anniversary. It was her first time there and she was amazed with everything you did for us to make our anniversary a special one. I just wanted to say thank you for making our night a great one.Special Features:
- mtairychefOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014The meal was excellent, the service was impeccable and the birthday dessert for my daughter was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongSC44Dined on 10/2/2014Never disappointed when I go. My 12 ounce filet was phenomenal and the best steak I had this year! The look is still timeless warm and fun. Great place to impress a client or dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingJncmrcDined on 9/28/2014After our first trip to Barclay, we were very impressed with the service and food. The food was still good, but the service was not. When our foriegn friend asked about the steak sauces, the server did not explain them and stood there as if everyone should know what is in them. The server forgot our friend's drink order, did not stop by to ask us how our steak was prepared (mine was not how I ordered), and was generally aloof. The restaurant was almost empty, so we really see no reason for this and do not have any intention of returning. We were embarrassed that we took out of town guests here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningTimmyODined on 9/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary here and everything was wonderful. Cool ambience, great service, amazing food. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Awful evening,fire alarm all night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Awful evening. Supposed to be a celebration..turned out to be a nightmare. Fire alarm went off for at least 30 min! Flashing light in my fiances face that have him a migraine. Couldn't enjoy food, staff was not even apologetic! I'm actually in shock
- Didn't Like the FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014I had heard a lot about Barclay Prime from friends who loved it, but I was not a fan. I took my partner there for his birthday. I ordered the lobster bisque, which was one of the worst I've ever had, and the chilean sea bass, which tasted like butter. The rolls are really good, but also taste like there's a lot of butter in them. We also ordered the truffle mac and cheese, which not surprisingly, tasted like there was a lot of butter in it as well. My partner had the tomato appetizer, which was good, and the rib eye, which was not. Our server was amazingly attentive, though. He even brought out dessert with a candle and happy birthday written with sauce -- without my asking (I just noted that it was his birthday in my reservation).
- OutstandingNaTashaDined on 9/19/2014Everything was wonderful: food, service, and ambiance. However, the restaurant was extremely cold. I am a loyal customer and I will continue to frequent this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I have been to this restaurant four times and the food is excellent and I enjoy the atmosphere. My only general complaint would be the shared bathroom. I can't stand unisex bathrooms and even though the stalls are marked male or female in this particular bathroom, a man emerged from one of the women's stalls.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014We went to Barclay Prime for our anniversary. We had a fabulous waitress Melissa, she was friendly and attentive. We both had the lobster bisque, which was great and for our entrée we had the boneless ribeye steak which was outstanding. The bread that they serve is the best. Can't find anything negative about our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014the best steak of my life. service was quick and good. waiter was knowledgeable and helpful. chairs were uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rittenhouse steakhousedrhadVIPDined on 9/13/2014Four blocks west of Broad St. you will an elegant steakhouse where decor is classic and cuisine and service are excellent.Special Features:
- Oh my God loudGovolsDined on 9/12/2014Great food. Great service. So loud I couldn't hear the guy I was interviewing talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good but it can be betterroxieDined on 9/12/20141)For a fine dine restaurant, it was indeed noisy, I had such a hard time hearing my server, 2)I didn't like the fact that the men's and ladies room were together, that was the first I ever encountered, 3) most fine dine does have a complimentary dessert for a birthday occasion but this one doesn't acknowledge itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak EverNikkiB912Dined on 9/12/2014My family (adults only) went for my birthday and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. They answered any questions you might have and the service was great. The decor was a little off that's the only reason I didn't give 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- devineeatingDined on 9/12/2014everything was superb,however, it is a bit pricey. valet parking is also high. it is worth a splurge. the waiter was excellent. the time between courses was perfectly timed. i highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Anniversary Bliss!pilotJDVIPDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic night at Barclay Prime! It was our Anniversary, so we decided to head into Philly to enjoy a fine meal. We made a reservations for a table of four at 5:00pm. The restaurant atmosphere was inviting and comfortable, without being pretentious or cold. That being said however, this may not be the best choice if you are looking for a very private intimate table for two. All in all our meals were fantastic, but I would not order the hundred $100 cheesesteaks again without the assurance that we would taste the truffles. Our waiter Matthew was outstanding and I would definitely return for a repeat experience. All in all, Barclay prime scores five stars! Try it but expect a high price tag. Plan on $200 per person.Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendslgoodmancpaVIPDined on 9/11/2014Been to Barclay Prime over the years and my most recent visits have just been ok, nothing special. The service is always great but the food has not been as stellar as it once was. The prices are at the top of the scale, but the food was average. Not as magical a restaurant as it once was and also very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second to noneArmorer1984Dined on 9/10/2014Barclay Prime had a lot to live up to, as their reputation is what brought us from Nebraska to eat there. We were not disappointed, but impressed. Everything was exquisite in every detail, from the food to the staff to the space itself. Definitely recommend Barclay to everyone we know and maybe they will make the trip too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNotgoodDined on 9/9/2014I heard good things about BP however our experience for the $$ was very disappointing. The dinner started off well but once the restaurant filled up the service slowed as well. Our waiter was great then he got a party of 12 and forgot where our table was (which was right next to the party of 12). The steaks were all undercooked no one from the waiter or management came back to see how our steaks were, we were never offered additional drinks and had to flag down someone to get water. I would definetly think twice before I came back to spend that kind of money. Very disappointing.
- Food and Service Don't Equal PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014The setting is nice however, I felt that the food and service did not match up to the high priced menu.
- Simply the BestsechsgangVIPDined on 9/8/2014In a city where most steak restaurants take a turn for the worst after years of comfortable running...Barclay Prime continues to impress and is without doubt still the best steakhouse in town. The meat is extremely high quality and the preparation is always spectacular. The prices are up there, but the quality and service are right there with it.Special Features:
- Quiet Night, Excellent find.NoleDave904Dined on 9/7/2014We were in town visiting for the Jaguars-Eagles game. Assuming that's why it was so quiet. Place is probably packed otherwise. Excellent Veal and Lamb choices. Server knew her wine. Her name was Amy. I think she might have been the bartender too. She was excellent as well. Will go back if in Philadelphia again. A must for fellow carnivorous diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely dinnerBetsyVIPDined on 9/7/2014This was my first time at Barclay Prime, and I enjoyed it! The food was great, and the service was helpful without being overbearing. I liked the vibe, the music and the decor. I will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentKeithBrooksDined on 9/6/2014Always the same great service, excellent food, attentive management and charming atmosphere. Cannot say enough good things about this place. Special mention to Tara our waitress, she was absolutely fantastic.Special Features:
- Best meal I ever hadBenjDined on 9/6/2014Good was outstanding. Worth every penny. Service was excellent. We'll definetly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion Place!GreatSpotDined on 9/6/2014I took a special lady to Barclay Prime for her birthday and the place exceeded all my expectations. The ambiance very relaxed and elegant and the service was impeccable. I informed the restaurant in advance that my reservation was for a birthday and they immediately greeted us kindly and with a special "Happy Birthday" to my guest, which was extremely cool! We sat down at a table against the wall and were blown away with how comfy the seats were and how elegant the inside was. Our waiter, Curtis, extended another"Happy Birthday" wish to my guest and made us feel right at home. The steaks were delicious and the sides were mouth watering. The dinner ended with a great dessert and a free piece of cake on the house! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGreatfoodDined on 9/6/2014Our food was superb. I had the dry aged NY steak, and my partner had the Chilean sea bass. Both were excellent and superbly prepared. The desert was to die for. Great restaurant for dinner and special occasionsSpecial Features:
- popovers alone are worth the tripge8moodVIPDined on 9/5/2014I dream about those popovers. Yum. We had an incredibly tasty and romantic meal with superb service. Our waiter recommended the yellow tail crudo to start which proved to be an excellent as stated. Wedge salad was great. Steak was cooked to perfection, as promised. All side dishes were just delightful. The wine, prosecco, cocktails, and scotch all completed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!Flagirl3Dined on 9/2/2014Everything about our evening here was great! Glenn, our waiter, never rushed us and made wonderful suggestions. The food was very good-our steak was cooked perfectly with a lovely grilled crust, and the banana cake -divine! We split everything-no problem here.The room is "Mad Men" cool, but comfortable. I like that the table are not too close together. Glenn even sent us home with a little cake present for our anniversary. Oh-they called early to see if we'd like a candle on our cake, too. You cannot go wrong-wonderful food, service, ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Very inventive mexican food and great guacamole. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: