237 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.barclayprime.com/
- Phone: (215) 732-7560
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Luxury and sophistication meet posh and chic at Barclay Prime. A sexy revamp of the traditional steakhouse, Barclay's menu offers subtle twists on steakhouse fare. Reserve the entire restaurant for a corporate event, host a celebration in the private room or hang out with friends in the lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650
- Cross Street: Locust
- Public Transit: The 12 Bus Route runs on Locust Street & curls around Rittenhouse Square. Get off at the intersection of 18th Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available at 18th & Locust Streets for $26/car & $30/SUV's. Public lots are available on South Rittenhouse Square & Chancellor Street. Street parking is also available.
A word from Barclay Prime
Barclay Prime is a luxury boutique steakhouse serving a traditional yet modern menu in a comfortable & contemporary setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Barclay Prime - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Barclay Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (152)fit for foodies (100)romantic (93)notable wine list (71)hot spot (44)good for groups (40)neighborhood gem (32)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/22/2014FOOD WAS VERY GOOD BUT EXTREMELY HEAVY ON THE SALT. SERVICE WAS ALSO GOOD, BUT BUT TO THE POINT WE FELT RUSHED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllenDined on 11/22/2014Great food, great service. Can't wait to go back! Best steak house we have been to in a great while!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just excellent!nyvisitrDined on 11/21/2014Enjoyed an amazing dinner here with my best friend. The service was top-notch and the food was outstanding. I would higly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding steaks and serviceBrianBucksCountyDined on 11/21/2014Lightning fast drink service and very attentive and courteous staff. Very impressive. Be prepared for the prices but not unusual for top end steakhouse especially in Rittenhouse square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was delicious and the seating was very well planned. What really made my night was that the waiter paid attention to the note I left when booking that I was allergic to dairy. I never needed to explain our ask what dishes I could have -it was already researched and taken care of. That said, we had the ny strip and the fillet mignon which were of good quality and well seasoned. They went a little overboard on the salt in my side dish, but not enough to bother me. The wine list was extensive. We ordered a bottle of cabernet from the second cheapest tier and did not have incredible expectations for it other than having a dry red with dinner, it seemed much lower in quality than I would have expected from the establishment. It was a lovely romantic date night, one we don't get to do often. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensive and very good foodJimDDined on 11/18/2014surprised by the number of younger, casually dressed (jeans)post work diners, most of whom were gone by 8 at which time the noise level fell back toward moderateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Way too noisy. At times couldn't even hear the waiter also the menu lettering was very little and lights too dim we needed to use a flashlight to see it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/15/2014We decided to celebrate our 2nd Anniversary at Barclay Prime. The food was delicious we had the cold seafood platter, wedge salad, Wagyu Ny Strip, and tatter tots. Everything was so good. The steak was work the $100+ price tag. Our biggest issues was this restaurant was far from romantic/beautiful. The chandeliers were lovely, but the room was small and we were cramped in with several other diners. We normally go to Butcher and Singer for our special occasions and I will definitely make sure we continue that tradition as the food was good, but the atmosphere wasn't what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantAJMendezDined on 11/15/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday and we invited a couple of our family members. Let's just say that they were Ruth's Chris people and now we converted them. Still the best steaks and food I've had. They thought so too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another perfect dinner..InuksunamoonVIPDined on 11/14/2014We always have a great meal at Barclay Prime. Our server was amazing & on the ball as usual. However, please plan on staying quite awhile as they give you plenty of time to enjoy your drinks & conversation between meals. I had the steak tartare & my husband had the seafood sampler for appetizers..soooo good. The bread alone is to die for. Our entrees were perfection. Of course we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!nekoloVIPDined on 11/14/2014I love Barclay Prime. I have been a few times and each time I go I'm more impressed. The food is absolutely delicious, the waitstaff is impeccable and knowledgable, and the environment is super cozy. It goes without saying that the steak is delicious, but my favorite dish might be the Sea Bass. And don't get me started on the Smores dessert! Great for parties or an intimate gathering. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't stop eating!Tmc210Dined on 11/10/2014Visited while on vacation in Philly as was recommended by several locals I met in Rittenhouse Square. EVERYTHING was delcious: appetizers, entree and dessert. One complaint was that the Brussel sprouts were too salty but everything else was fabulous so it didn't matter much. NY Strip steaks were high quality and cooked to perfection. Waitress was excellent and knowledgeable - helped us pick out wine in a very non-wine snob way. Would definitely go back when I visit Philly again. Had to get the peanutbutter and dark chocolate pie even - though I was stuffed - and it didn't dissapoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific steaksAnnaDDined on 11/8/2014the food was terrific and our server was delightful. No complaints from us!Special Features:
- pickyinmlpickyinmlDined on 11/8/2014Nice, classy atmosphere, food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Our filet and veal chop were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the BestsechsgangVIPDined on 11/5/2014There are more steak restaurants around Philadelphia than just about anything else. However, Barclay Prime always proves to be the best of every one of them with every visit. The service is impeccable, the decor is fantastic and the food is always done perfectly, the wine selection is great albeit on the pricey side (which you would expect for a steak restaurant of its caliber), and the selection of various meat cuts always satisfies the most discerning of red-meat enthusiast. Nothing was left to desire...amazing meal.Special Features:
- Consistent, delicious-worth every $SueBeeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Steven Starr always delivers at Barclay Prime. the location and decor on Rittenhouse Square is A+ and the staff, food, wines and whole experience has never disappointed. Having a reservation well in advance is one of the most important things here, as they are consistently busy. The steak offerings as well as options like great fish, salads, oysters can please any group of diners with different palates. The quality and cuts of meat they serve is also excellent. Love the knife selection and the fact that you get to choose. Every server we have had at every meal is interested and interesting. I could go on but I would rather go back there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bachelor party dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014This place was a great place to start our bachelor party evening. Everything was delicious, from the seafood to the wagyu steak. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmosphere for fine diningBeeMiceElfDined on 10/26/2014The staff was very warm and friendly. The ambiance was quite nice --definitely for an upscale crowd. The bread they serve is nice and light. The crabcakes were excellent --all meat, no filler. The ribeye was flavorful, but did not have as much marbling as I had expected. Bring your appetite for beef, as smaller cuts like 10-14 ounces are not generally available. Steaks are definitely filling. Valet parking is pretty much your only option if you drive down. Don't bother looking to park it yourself. The location is very clean and nice. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingExpectationsDined on 10/25/2014I wish I had more room, but I will make this short. We traveled from Maryland for my anniversary to have this dinning experience because I thought that it was fine dinning and this was a very special occasion to me, and my steak was burned close to a crisp when I ordered a medium well. I was told that it would take a long time to re cook my steak and I did not want to make my girlfriend wait for me to eat. Only about 25% of the steak was edible. The manager took it off of the bill, but that does not give me my anniversary evening back when I had to really work hard in order to make this evening happen and you cannot get that back.Special Features:
- Fabulous in PhillyKarenVIPDined on 10/25/2014Everything was great from start to finish! The cheesesteak made a "pre-appetizer" for the three of us. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentzelfVIPDined on 10/25/2014I was never disappointed dinning at Barclays. Food, ambiance and service are always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barclay PrimephillyfoodieDined on 10/18/2014Yet another amazing dinner at Barclay Prime. Started off with the white truffle served on home made fettuccine. Delicious! Then had the lobster bisque which is amazing. Then had the best Caesar Salad ever. For an entree had the porterhouse which was perfectly cooked with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Capped the night off with the sorbets. So good. Can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:
- SpecialquichegirlDined on 10/17/2014This was our second time dining at Barclay Prime & it didn't disappoint. We came with two other couples to celebrate a milestone birthday. Food was top notch, only to be outdone by the wonderful service. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Good meal, priceySue56Dined on 10/12/2014Our waiter Jeff was knowledgeable and attentive. The Wagyu filet was outstanding as was the foi gras. Nice for a very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no mis-steak they are # 1BucketlistitemDined on 10/12/2014An interesting evening of culinary delight as my wife and I experienced dinner at Barclay Prime to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. We parked at a local parking garage adjacent to Rittenhouse Square; ($27.00). We were greeted by the receptionist and told that we were early but they could seat us or go to the bar. We opted to go to the table. We were greeted by all restaurant employees wishing us a happy anniversary. The server announced her name and supplied us with all the necessary information to answer our questions. The prices were not in question as I had a $400 dollar gift card. The meal was awesome the beef was cooked to order and melted in your mouth. The sauces were special. I splurged with a $124 bottle. 5 star deservedSpecial Features:
- One of our Philly favorites!ab12VIPDined on 10/10/2014We had dined at Barclay Prime once in the past with a large group of people and wanted to experience it as a couple. The service was just as amazing for two as it was for ten. Food was delicious....I never thought that I would fall in love with roasted broccoli, but it happened. Steaks were amazing, martinis were excellent, no complaints on the wine list. I only wish that we were still hungry for dessert....next time!Special Features:
- Rick made it a fun nightletseatVIPDined on 10/10/2014A perfect place for a celebration! Best tater tots ever. Best s'more ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wake up and get back in line!user1101Dined on 10/7/2014I've dined here many times over the course of several years. Barclay Prime is consistently one of the best steakhouses in Philadelphia. Overall, everything was very good, but a few criticisms. The wine list- extensive selection, but very overpriced at 4x retail. The side dishes- the broccoli could have been great, but the cook was overzealous with the lemon and it became a lemony, sour mess. The steak- mine was excellent, but my friend's was supposed to be Pittsburgh rare (seared, but cool on the inside), and it came out medium rare, exactly like mine. That is not a hard order to get right, so that was disappointing. The kitchen staff needs to get back in line, get the orders right and season the dishes correctly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointingFrazierCrane817VIPDined on 10/4/2014Based on the positive reviewed, we expected to be rocked by one of the best steakhouses in Philadelphia, but the only things that got rocked were our wallets. The ambiance is lively, if not a bit loud. The appetizers of oysters and porcini mushrooms were both superb, but the steaks were very disappointing. Since we were celebrating an occasion, we decided to splurge on the waygu steaks, priced at $95 and $115. Our server described them as being very marbled. My steak arrived lukewarm and my friend's was overdone. We sent his back and shared mine while we waited. The steaks were far from marbled and definitely not worth anywhere near the price. I would never spend that much again for what I would describe as average cuts of beef.Special Features:
- Excellent.....As usualJoeBamVIPDined on 10/4/2014Celebrated our anniversary at our favorite steakhouse in the entire country! Great service by Jason, hands down the BEST ribeye anywhere, just a great time once again! Will be back again and again, they have it right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAPro12Dined on 10/4/2014I brought my girlfriend of 8 years to Barclay Prime for our anniversary. It was her first time there and she was amazed with everything you did for us to make our anniversary a special one. I just wanted to say thank you for making our night a great one.Special Features:
- mtairychefOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014The meal was excellent, the service was impeccable and the birthday dessert for my daughter was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongSC44Dined on 10/2/2014Never disappointed when I go. My 12 ounce filet was phenomenal and the best steak I had this year! The look is still timeless warm and fun. Great place to impress a client or dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingJncmrcDined on 9/28/2014After our first trip to Barclay, we were very impressed with the service and food. The food was still good, but the service was not. When our foriegn friend asked about the steak sauces, the server did not explain them and stood there as if everyone should know what is in them. The server forgot our friend's drink order, did not stop by to ask us how our steak was prepared (mine was not how I ordered), and was generally aloof. The restaurant was almost empty, so we really see no reason for this and do not have any intention of returning. We were embarrassed that we took out of town guests here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningTimmyODined on 9/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary here and everything was wonderful. Cool ambience, great service, amazing food. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Awful evening,fire alarm all night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Awful evening. Supposed to be a celebration..turned out to be a nightmare. Fire alarm went off for at least 30 min! Flashing light in my fiances face that have him a migraine. Couldn't enjoy food, staff was not even apologetic! I'm actually in shock
- Didn't Like the FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014I had heard a lot about Barclay Prime from friends who loved it, but I was not a fan. I took my partner there for his birthday. I ordered the lobster bisque, which was one of the worst I've ever had, and the chilean sea bass, which tasted like butter. The rolls are really good, but also taste like there's a lot of butter in them. We also ordered the truffle mac and cheese, which not surprisingly, tasted like there was a lot of butter in it as well. My partner had the tomato appetizer, which was good, and the rib eye, which was not. Our server was amazingly attentive, though. He even brought out dessert with a candle and happy birthday written with sauce -- without my asking (I just noted that it was his birthday in my reservation).
- OutstandingNaTashaDined on 9/19/2014Everything was wonderful: food, service, and ambiance. However, the restaurant was extremely cold. I am a loyal customer and I will continue to frequent this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I have been to this restaurant four times and the food is excellent and I enjoy the atmosphere. My only general complaint would be the shared bathroom. I can't stand unisex bathrooms and even though the stalls are marked male or female in this particular bathroom, a man emerged from one of the women's stalls.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014We went to Barclay Prime for our anniversary. We had a fabulous waitress Melissa, she was friendly and attentive. We both had the lobster bisque, which was great and for our entrée we had the boneless ribeye steak which was outstanding. The bread that they serve is the best. Can't find anything negative about our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.