461 West 23rd
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barchettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2122557400x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday 5:00pm until 11:30pm
Sunday 5:00pm until 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dave Pasternack
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Located in the heart of Chelsea in the iconic London Terrace Gardens, we are within walking distance of the famed Highline and Gallery District.
- Cross Street: 10th Avenue
- Public Transit: Subway:
C or E Train to 23rd & 8th Avenue 1 or 2 on 23rd & 7th Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is available on 23rd Street, after 6 pm.
It is also suggested that guests park their cars at 249 Parking Corporation, located at 249 10th Avenue, between 24th and 25th Street.
For reservations, event inquiries or gift cards please contact email@example.com
A word from Barchetta
Barchetta, Italian for ‘little boat’ captures the charms of the Mediterranean seaside. An Italian seafood trattoria, Barchetta is a partnership between Esca’s acclaimed Chef & Partner Dave Pasternack and John Meadow’s LDV Hospitality. Pasternack brings his passion of sourcing the freshest ingredients of the sea and expertise of Italian cuisine to Barchetta’s intimate yet bustling atmosphere inspired by the communal charm of the rustic trattoria experience. Barchetta provides a casual bar dining experience of Pasternack’s trademark crudo tastings or a feast of homemade pastas, seafood antipasti, and whole fish paired with an eclectic international wine list. Delivered with gracious, genuine hospitality, Barchetta brings la dolce vita to life in New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barchetta reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (38)notable wine list (36)hot spot (31)romantic (28)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great fish!globalgirlDined on 8/23/2014As someone who's spent alot if time in Japan and the Mediterranean area, I love fresh fish. This place has great fish. Not quite as good as those places, but darn close. The sever was excellent. The place is lacking a bit in atmosphere. But if it is good fish you are after, this us the place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pescatorial PleasureEggHeadDined on 8/22/2014Excellent service; excellent food; thoroughly enjoyable. Arrived VERY early--5 p.m. because we had to--to an empty restaurant--and were shown to "the best table in the house," which it probably is, looking out an arched window onto the beautiful, rear-yard greenery of the London Terrace Apartment building. Our waiter assured us we were his favorite table (we were the only one at the time) and was very helpful with descriptions of menu preparations--95% seafood (Barchetta is an offspring of Esca), and persuasive about the evening's special which was truly excellent and, serving three, well-priced. Every food item was imaginatively and thoughtfully made with little twists indicating attention to little details that make a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deafeningPortenduereDined on 8/20/2014The level of noise in the restaurant is simply beyond. No conversation or enjoyment of the great dishes and service is possible.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We had a very exquisite experience from the moment we entered until we left. Our waiter, who was from Slovenia, was incredibly nice and knowledgeable. He made the experience of dining at Barchetta even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Requested Booth;Noisy KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/15/2014I live in the neighborhood and have had eaten at all of the restaurant iterations at this location, so I know the space well. I specifically requested a booth and instead we were given a table right in front of the kitchen door. Great. I asked for the booth again before we were seated (it was set for 3) and was told both booths were reserved (for who? a party of 2). The table was all to be expected, very busy, noisy and new waiters dropping and breaking plates. Not a great experience. Bad table and the place wasn't even full. Unless you live in the neighborhood, I would not make the trip out. Food is fine for NYC but it does not overcome the bad front of house.
- AdrianaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great food, great service. A nice surprise. The "grilled orata" was simply delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014We chose Barchetta primarily based on location and reviews, but we will definitely choose it in the future for the delicious food and wonderful service! With so many choices it's nice to find a restaurant in NYC that you would want to visit again. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were very pleased with our first dining at Barchetta. We dined early, in part to avoid the most negative complaint that the restaurant is too noisy and we succeeded. Everything we ordered we would order again: grilled octopus, lobster with pasta and crab with pasta. Red wine from the Piedmont enhanced the entire meal. Many events take us to Chelsea; we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fineAP11VIPDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant looks nice and the atmosphere is pleasant but it was so loud in there we couldn't even hear our waiter. The food was good, just good.
- Tough but tender choicesBigrosieDined on 8/2/2014Although the shared entree of black bass was wonderful, the number, variety, and quality of crudo and appetizers is awesome. We were amazed when we counted up the sheer number of courses we had ordered and consumed. Leaning towards preferring Barchetta before Esca, with its cumbersome menu. One page is quite enough at Barchetta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FishYummyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We are very lucky to have this awesome new neighborhood addition. The menu is exciting and constantly changing. The prices are reasonable, especially the wine list which is interesting, well-organized, and filled with lots of delicious choices under $100. All of the fish dishes are memorable. The whole sea bass, the monkfish, and the salmon were all excellent. The flights of crudo (think sashimi from an Italian POV) are succulent with just the right hint of seasoning. We have been 5 times since it opened and will keep going back!Special Features:
- Delicious!discerningdinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014The food was excellent, even better than Esca! Try the whole grilled pompano. The crudo flight was a lot of fun. Up to the minute food, expertly prepared, warm service, very interesting Italian wine list, including some fun wines by the glass.Special Features:
- The mixed reviews are wrongJuv3001VIPDined on 7/26/2014I read mixed reviews before trying this Mediterraneanesque seafood gem, most regarding the noise level, the darkness or the service. I can safely say that I disagree. We had an absolutely fantastic meal here with wonderful service and great ambiance. It wasn't full so the noise level was okay and the wine selection and knowledge of the staff regarding the wines was exceptional. We loved our experience and the food and cannot wait to visit again. One of the highlights was the pompano, very fresh and a rare find in nyc. Also the dessert was fantastic, a butter cake that was more like a delicate italian pastry. The prawns appetizer was also a standout. Many more delicious options that I can't wait to try on a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!LoxannaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fish lovers run, do not walk, to enjoy creative and delicious preparations at Barchetta. We enjoyed the grilled octopus appetizer and the sardine appetizer, as well as entree preparations of pompano and black bass. We were less excited about the crudo sampler - one small piece of 6 different fish - we probably should have picked one or two full crudo selections. Lots of choices on the wine list, and the server was helpful with suggestions on wine options.Special Features:
- Great seafood but INSANELY LOUDthegforcenyVIPDined on 7/23/2014GREAT crudo tasting, two different whole fish options (for one or two people) and a few other fish entrees. House made seafood pastas, interesting and appetizers. Varied, high quality wine by the glass program, and dessert wines. Speaking of dessert, talented pastry chef. Loved it. BUT, insanely loud room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014crudo was good, but rest of the meal was unimpressive. Restaurant is also very dark - this restaurant you can skip!Special Features:
- great addition to West ChelseaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/20/2014Esca has always been a favorite restaurant and now we have our own version in West Chelsea. Great food, great service. Warm and friendly. Christopher was the best. Enjoy before it gets mobbed.
- Italian seafood gem in ChelseaChelseafoodfiendsDined on 7/20/2014The best of both worlds, a neighborhood gem and destination restaurant. The crudo is delicious. Everything is beautifully prepared and presented. A seafood lover's delight. Salads and vegetables are seasonal and divine. The service is warm, friendly and welcoming. As Chelsea locals we're thrilled the "little boat" has docked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding addition to ChelseaabracadabaVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had a great dinner here on Friday night. All of the food was superb. We especially enjoyed the tomato salad and the grilled octopus but can't imagine a bad choice on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROCK STARmedwinshopVIPDined on 7/16/2014so simple yet so good, awesome crudo plate to start something called "moonfish" Had a solid bavette with jumbo lump crab meat with zucchini flowers and finished with semifredo with local blueberries. Easy beautiful and elegant, i dug the whole thing except the noise its a loud one.
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/14/2014We have always loved Esca but this is even better and more our style. No pretense, no frills, just really incredibly fabulous food in a great setting. I had the "crudo" tasting menu to start and it was amazing. I have never had fresher or more carefully selected fish and each bite was full of flavor. Everybody at my table had an equally great experience with what they ordered. Shark was a wonderful main course and the vegetable sides were so fresh and delish. Chef Dave came to visit us at our table just to see how we were doing and we had a really fun conversation with him. We will be back here again and again.Special Features:
- Crudo is a hit!MaxGomezVIPDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding meal. If you love crudo this is the place. The crudo tasting is a great way to experience the wide variety of offerings on the menu. The fettuccine with lobster pasta was perfectly served with lots of lobster. The wine list although not as extensive as other places offers is well thought out at reasonable prices. Service was excellent and the atmosphere welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPeterVIPDined on 7/11/2014Despite enthusiastic service and a great location and remodel, and notwithstanding really wanting to like Barchetta, our experience was disappointing. The smell of seafood knocks you over when you enter, and not the good kind, more like raw-bar-in-the-face. The crude sampler had some interesting bites, but overall was monochromatic. Similar issues infected my tuna steak--nice piece and perfectly cooked, but bland and uninspired. My wife's roasted greens salad was an over-salted, over-oiled tasteless mess. The bread was wonderful, as was the inventive desert, but the good was not enough to overcome the bad.
- Ok food, service lackingJJH3Dined on 7/8/2014We were a table of four and waited 30+ minutes for a table on a Tuesday night despite the reservation made five days in advance. The cocktails at the bar were expensive given that the bartender used a jigger to measure the liquor precisely which resulted in weak drinks. The food was fine and our server seemed very professional but hindered by an inefficient kitchen.
- Great food; noise level hurts!FlatironGourmandVIPDined on 7/8/2014We reserved for dinner on a Wednesday night. It was a birthday celebration. The food was fantastic -- creative, interesting and delicious. The room was beautiful, with a wonderful art collection. However, the noise level was so loud, it would qualify for an OSHA violation. My dinner companions literally had to scream at each other to be heard over the roar. Failing that, we resorted to texting each other. Until this restaurant gets the noise issue under control, I'd recommend ordering take-out, if they would do that.Special Features:
- disappointinglive2eatVIPDined on 7/1/2014This restaurant is very disappointing. The noise level is extreme. One has to shout at the person less than a foot away to be heard. How is that anybody's idea of a good time? the food is just okay. I find this hard to understand after enjoying so many fine meals at Esca and Il Pesce, Pasternak's other restaurants. Both times I dined at Barchetta, Pasternak was at the restaurant so I find it hard to understand the difference in the quality of the food. When I order crudo at Il Pesce I am always thrilled and delighted but found it to be so so at Barchetta. Same with my appetizer of grilled polpo and whole mackeral. I hope something is done about the noise level. Get in there Dave and start cooking. I want this restaurant to succeed.
- table for 3, please.Neighbor455LondonTerraceDined on 6/30/2014Food was fantastic; even the 'simple' Arugula salad exploded with flavor and still remains a "talking-point" when discussing high points of recent dining. the Pasta (spiced tomato sauce) was 'spot-on'; my friend who dined with us stated that it was 'on-par' with the Pasta in her travels in Venice... and those were just the Appetizers!.Special Features:
- SonnafaDined on 6/28/2014This spot is beautiful and the staff were all impeccably friendly and helpful. The food itself was solid and tasty and the rotating menu ensured that the seafood was all very fresh, but there were some technical inconsistencies that impeded our enjoyment a bit (we each had several pieces of crudo to start and one of us had sinewy bits in every single piece, another crunched into a couple of scales). The whole fish was excellent and definitely worth trying as well as a couple of the heartier pastas. The drinks and desserts were also stunners. I'd recommend this spot if you're in the neighborhood and enjoy good seafood, but it's no Le Bernardin.Special Features:
- Really great!NycresidentDined on 6/28/2014Fantastic Saturday night meal for 2 couples. Was nervous after reading uneven reviews in blogs, but Barchetta seems to have taken criticism to heart and ironed out all the kinks. Service was professional, accommodating & warm. Crudo apps were excellent (fresh & well cut), as were the whole orata, salmon and vegetarian beet ravioli entrees (beet ravioli was surprisingly tasty). Desserts were also all above par, and we are usually disappointed by NYC restaurant desserts. Corntorni were the only weak spot - fingerlings were great but root veggies and greens not as good. Atmosphere was casual chic, a bit loud but not overbearing. They brought the whole fish out to the table before taking it back to fillet - a classy touch. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great accommodating serviceFavneweatsVIPDined on 6/25/2014Great food great service feels like a pub atmosphere so a bit incongruent but I like the casualness. Best sommelier, host, hostess, servers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish at its freshestDavidfDined on 6/24/2014Everything we had was perfectly cooked, great combination of seasonal fish and innovative cookingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMianyDined on 6/23/2014But you may leave hungry. I'm a fan of small plates but I spent an awful lot of money ($170 with tip - three glasses of wine one dessert) and actually left hungry. Ok we know raw fish isn't filling but a little more generosity on the pasta should be a no brainer. Leaving hungry took away from what I think would probably have been a more enjoyable experience. If you want to stay in the neighborhood for a long time, take a cue from Red Cat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to wander intoFeasterVIPDined on 6/22/2014Delicious, and like it's predecessor, a perfect opportunity to provide an elegant culinary experience but the MUSIC IS TOO LOUD. It has all the trappings of a romantic place but misses a trick with the noise level. This is the same group as ESCA in Hell's Kitchen so food is really good.Special Features:
- Can't say good thingsHauntsandJauntsDined on 6/21/2014Everything we ate was phenomenal!!!!! Service is excellent, they really care about what they are doing here. Can't wait to go back and try a whole bunch of other things. One of the best restaurant meals I've had in a while.Special Features:
- Superlative TerritoryFildinerVIPDined on 6/20/2014Barchetta has an unbelievably good kitchen. Every dish was impeccable. We had charred veggies, grilled octopus, crispy troutlings, cavatelli, ravioli, and roasted sea bass. For dessert, we had rhubarb crostata and cheesecake. When the last crostata flake was scraped off the plate, we looked at each other and said, "Damn, THAT was a meal." Unfortunately we were so uncomfortable at our table that it was hard settling down to even order. The noise was so loud I couldn't hear the person next to me. Our table of five was in front of the stairs and was constantly jostled by passing waiters and guests. The Barchetta's cooking is the kind that induces a state of well-being. The interior design and noise are designed to do the opposite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible, skip this oneLuv2eatDined on 6/16/2014The bread was stale, the crudo fish ok but definitely nothing special. I took the tuna as a main which was totally overcooked - approaching mush. My husbands lobster pasta was short on lobster and long on 'bland and dry'. We took one veg side of chard - it came dark green and overcooked like it just got dumped out of a can, yuk. A totally disappointing experience - for the price you can do SO much better - this is Manhattan after all! This restaurant doesn't belong here, save your money and taste buds.
- Good food & service but ...MK48Dined on 6/16/2014It's a shame when the food and service warrant a return visit but the ambiance is so irritating that you know you won't return. it's so dark that you can barely read the menu or see what you're eating and it's so noisy you have to yell to be heard.Special Features:
- And there is the foodabferrariDined on 6/16/2014There was some buzz about opening of this restaurant but my expierience there was very disappointing. Service was great but food is simply terrible. I hope they will fix food issues soon because it would be great to have this restaurant around. As it stands today I will not be back. Spend your money elsewhere!
- Third Time in a Short TimeZIODINOVIPDined on 6/16/2014This is our third visit within two weeks. We are trying to get everyone we know to Barchetta before it is impossibly hot. (I would put "hot spot"above but my age 64 disqualifies me from recognizing hot things). Dave Pasternak graciously greeted us at the beginning of the meal. The food was as great as always. We even had a misstep in that nobody asked about my wife's tuna's doneness. She prefers her tuna very rare - it was closer to medium. It was quickly returned and rectified with no muss no fuss. This made us like Barchetta even more. You learn way more when things aren't perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 6/14/2014Imaginative menu. Excellent food. Experience marred by very poor service. Waiters need training and should be more familiar with the food. Perhaps promoting bus boys would be a good option. They seemed to understand what the restaurant was all about. Management supervision was non existant. Is there a manager?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.