461 West 23rd
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barchettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2122557400x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Dinner 5:00pm until 10:30pm
Tuesday - Friday, Lunch 12:00pm until 2:30pm, Dinner 5:00pm until 11:30pm
Saturday, Brunch 11:30am until 4:30pm, Dinner 4:30pm until 11:30pm
Sunday, Brunch 11:30am until 4:30pm, Dinner 4:30pm until 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dave Pasternack
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Located in the heart of Chelsea in the iconic London Terrace Gardens, we are within walking distance of the famed Highline and Gallery District.
- Cross Street: 10th Avenue
- Public Transit: Subway:
C or E Train to 23rd & 8th Avenue 1 or 2 on 23rd & 7th Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is available on 23rd Street, after 6 pm.
It is also suggested that guests park their cars at 249 Parking Corporation, located at 249 10th Avenue, between 24th and 25th Street.
For reservations, event inquiries or gift cards please contact email@example.com
A word from Barchetta
Barchetta, Italian for ‘little boat’ captures the charms of the Mediterranean seaside. An Italian seafood trattoria, Barchetta is a partnership between Esca’s acclaimed Chef & Partner Dave Pasternack and John Meadow’s LDV Hospitality. Pasternack brings his passion of sourcing the freshest ingredients of the sea and expertise of Italian cuisine to Barchetta’s intimate yet bustling atmosphere inspired by the communal charm of the rustic trattoria experience. Barchetta provides a casual bar dining experience of Pasternack’s trademark crudo tastings or a feast of homemade pastas, seafood antipasti, and whole fish paired with an eclectic international wine list. Delivered with gracious, genuine hospitality, Barchetta brings la dolce vita to life in New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barchetta reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (33)special occasion (33)hot spot (28)good for groups (27)romantic (27)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ErwinVIPDined on 10/21/2014One of the better restaurants in Chelsea..and the only one specializing in serving seafood. The place was not very busy when we dined here at 8:00 pm one tuesday evening. But the place got busier as the night went along. The food is great and the service is attentive. However, the place may be overpriced.Special Features:
- David never dissapointedBobbiesbestDined on 10/18/2014David Pasternak is an amazing chef. He knows exactly what to do with anything that comes from the sea and is able to pair sea and land beautifully. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent whole flounder, very fresh and simply prepared. With the vegetable selection (a la carte) and kale salad (with tasty bacon vinaigrette), this was a substantial meal. Not cheap, but worth it. Glasses of wine are overpriced ($15-16), but you can find a reasonably priced bottle. Waiter was very helpful and pleasant. I recommend this place!Special Features:
- A real winnerVirginiaVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had a lovely dinner. the crudo sampler was excellent, with six different fish served in two flights. The whole flounder, simply prepared, was ocean fresh and ldelicious. Service was top notch, and the wine recommendations excellent and the selections reasonably priced. Seafood is the star here, though one in our trio loved his pork chop.Special Features:
- LivetoeatDined on 10/14/2014Took a foodie friend for her birthday. She loved it. Linguine in briny clams especially good. Bread is addictive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For fish loversalwayshungryVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is how I like to eat: a whole fish, simply prepared, no fuss, but messy of course to eat (I would have it no other way). I had a delicious Florida pompano, my husband a black sea bass. There were 4 whole fish on the menu the night we were there, plenty to choose from. Our appetizers were also excellent; the charred octopus and tiny, fried spearlings (I think they were called) that were delicious. The vegetables, a separate order, were cauliflower and acorn squash and they were wonderful sides. The noise level seemed lower than when we were there a couple of months ago. Service was excellent. If you like fish this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly enjoyable experienceddddVIPDined on 9/22/2014There is no better seafood chef than David Pasternak. The fish are as fresh and well cooked as any I have ever eaten. The service is very considerate and accommodating. The atmosphere is lively with out being intrusive. I cannot not recommend Barchetta highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local and wont returndavidVIPDined on 9/22/2014Over-priced - small portions - not special - way too noisy A pity that the hype doesn't match the result
- Barchetta needs some workmsbnyVIPDined on 9/20/2014I wanted to like this restaurant. It does not know what it wants to be thematically & is lacking in character. Black clad young women at the door who greet and seat you, then casual-look servers with aprons. Arrived with an early reservation for 2 & it was practically empty. They tried to seat us all the way in the back at a table for 4. Then suddenly switched us to a nice corner table for 2 up front. Our server was polite, friendly & knowledgeable. The beet ravioli was a great, smart dish. I had the sea bream and my husband had the king fish. My fish had too much charring on the outside but overall pretty good dish with the olive relish. The king fish was a hearty portion, cooked correctly but the side of kale and beans was too mushy.
- mixed experiencejakiDined on 9/19/2014The bartender was nice and made a special cocktail for me, which i appreciated. The waiter however never asked us how our food was and seemed uncaring about our experience. I ordered the whole fish for one, which I thought would be unique but it wasn't. It was super small and overcooked. It was tasty but not worth the price, nothing special, not moist or especially flavorful as expected. The salad was great, loved the heirloom tomatoes, very fresh and delicious. The broccoli side dish was pitiful. It was so overcooked it had the appearance of being boiled. I can't believe they let it out of the kitchen. I asked the waiter a question about the fish and he became defensive, which I thought was unfriendly and uncalled for.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014Service was a bit desultory and sommelier misdescribed a wine--which was ordered based on the description. Food was well-prepared, but portion sizes were uneven. Reservation was confirmed as a birthday dinner, but no recognition of event was made.Special Features:
- JannVIPDined on 9/11/2014Started with Pink Snapper Crudo-3 small 1" square x 1/4" thick pieces @ $17.00 (less than $1.00 worth of fish)delicate and refreshing but grossly overpriced for the miniscule portion. Linguine with briny clams was delightful- well cooked pasta and pleasant briny flavor. Bavette with jumbo crabmeat was pleasant but lacked identifiable crab flavor as it contained no more than a tablespoon of crab; @ $23.00 for each entree, the clams were a far better value. Waiters' aprons should be replaced. Although made of linen, they look like an soiled, rumpled dish rags. Very noisy.
- Delicious food, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014Lively, energetic atmosphere and very good food. However, portions are quite small and sides are virtually nonexistent. No green veggies on the menu! We also had one entrée (fettuccine with lobster) that literally came with one bite-size morsel of lobster- hardly worth the $28 price tag! We mentioned this to our waitress, who brought it to the attention of the hostess and neither seemed to care very much. They were not apologetic and seemed very defensive. They offered to bring a new entrée, but by then we were nearly finished eating. They ultimately removed this one item from our bill, but only after my husband asked them whether we would be charged for the dish. The rest of the food was delicious, however. Unsure if we'll return.Special Features:
- For Seafood lovers!tunaDined on 9/10/2014Our neighborhood needed a great seafood restaurant, and now we have one. My husband only eats seafood, and has greatly enjoyed his meals, here. Loves the oysters, the simple preparation, and the attention to detail. Thank you, Barchetta.Special Features:
- Budgie123Dined on 9/10/2014Excellent, fresh seafood and terrific, interesting pasta dishes. Crudo selections were delicious, as were the lobster and shrimp pasta selections. Service was attentive, and wine list had good options at a variety of price points. Noise level was somewhat high, but not nearly as bad as what others have described. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very LoudRealtorDined on 9/5/2014The Food was excellent. The noise level was too high. Had a hard time talking.We oredered the Snapper for two and it was Excellent.Special Features:
- Fresh, fresh, fresh!Love2eatoutVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything we had was very fresh and cooked perfectly! The assorted crudo was especially delicious and were the crostini. The pasta with lobster and tomatoes was light and delicious as was the salmon. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- THE fish restaurant in NYCMicbaldaDined on 9/2/2014The crudo is sublime, the pastas interesting. The wine list not obvious and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new Italian seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This place is one of the best Italian restaurants I have been to in New York City. Their seafood is excellent, and their pasta dishes are to die for. The crudo is absolutely great and I recommend it to anyone who visits this establishment. Give it a try, you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & DeliciousAlianogDined on 8/29/2014The title says it all. The crudo we ordered was simply seasoned and delicious. The main course dishes were equally delicious - we had the pork and the fish. Both were fantastic. My fish was fresh and the seasoning complimented it beautifully and didn't overpower the dish. The pork was tender and juicy. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodIlovebeefVIPDined on 8/28/2014The crudo at Barchetta is absolutely one of the best I've ever had. Be sure to have the crudo flight for $28 to get a great variety of incredibly fresh fish. All other entrees, including the cooked fish are done to perfection. Cocktails are also excellent and well balanced. Wonderful and lively place to celebrate!Special Features:
- Great fish!globalgirlDined on 8/23/2014As someone who's spent alot if time in Japan and the Mediterranean area, I love fresh fish. This place has great fish. Not quite as good as those places, but darn close. The sever was excellent. The place is lacking a bit in atmosphere. But if it is good fish you are after, this us the place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pescatorial PleasureEggHeadDined on 8/22/2014Excellent service; excellent food; thoroughly enjoyable. Arrived VERY early--5 p.m. because we had to--to an empty restaurant--and were shown to "the best table in the house," which it probably is, looking out an arched window onto the beautiful, rear-yard greenery of the London Terrace Apartment building. Our waiter assured us we were his favorite table (we were the only one at the time) and was very helpful with descriptions of menu preparations--95% seafood (Barchetta is an offspring of Esca), and persuasive about the evening's special which was truly excellent and, serving three, well-priced. Every food item was imaginatively and thoughtfully made with little twists indicating attention to little details that make a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deafeningPortenduereDined on 8/20/2014The level of noise in the restaurant is simply beyond. No conversation or enjoyment of the great dishes and service is possible.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We had a very exquisite experience from the moment we entered until we left. Our waiter, who was from Slovenia, was incredibly nice and knowledgeable. He made the experience of dining at Barchetta even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Requested Booth;Noisy KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/15/2014I live in the neighborhood and have had eaten at all of the restaurant iterations at this location, so I know the space well. I specifically requested a booth and instead we were given a table right in front of the kitchen door. Great. I asked for the booth again before we were seated (it was set for 3) and was told both booths were reserved (for who? a party of 2). The table was all to be expected, very busy, noisy and new waiters dropping and breaking plates. Not a great experience. Bad table and the place wasn't even full. Unless you live in the neighborhood, I would not make the trip out. Food is fine for NYC but it does not overcome the bad front of house.
- AdrianaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great food, great service. A nice surprise. The "grilled orata" was simply delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014We chose Barchetta primarily based on location and reviews, but we will definitely choose it in the future for the delicious food and wonderful service! With so many choices it's nice to find a restaurant in NYC that you would want to visit again. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Esca DowntownwebdebnycVIPDined on 8/9/2014Not a huge departure for Pasternack, but everything's up to snuff here. Space is more attractive than Esca, and the food is on par.. if not slightly better *(little more creative, I think... less uptight). Need to work on the lighting: it' too dark! And the a.c. went out that night, so it was MAD stuffy in there, but that was a temporary glitch (although the darkness didn't help the dankness). Overall, very good.Special Features:
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were very pleased with our first dining at Barchetta. We dined early, in part to avoid the most negative complaint that the restaurant is too noisy and we succeeded. Everything we ordered we would order again: grilled octopus, lobster with pasta and crab with pasta. Red wine from the Piedmont enhanced the entire meal. Many events take us to Chelsea; we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fineAP11VIPDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant looks nice and the atmosphere is pleasant but it was so loud in there we couldn't even hear our waiter. The food was good, just good.
- Tough but tender choicesBigrosieDined on 8/2/2014Although the shared entree of black bass was wonderful, the number, variety, and quality of crudo and appetizers is awesome. We were amazed when we counted up the sheer number of courses we had ordered and consumed. Leaning towards preferring Barchetta before Esca, with its cumbersome menu. One page is quite enough at Barchetta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FishYummyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We are very lucky to have this awesome new neighborhood addition. The menu is exciting and constantly changing. The prices are reasonable, especially the wine list which is interesting, well-organized, and filled with lots of delicious choices under $100. All of the fish dishes are memorable. The whole sea bass, the monkfish, and the salmon were all excellent. The flights of crudo (think sashimi from an Italian POV) are succulent with just the right hint of seasoning. We have been 5 times since it opened and will keep going back!Special Features:
- Delicious!discerningdinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014The food was excellent, even better than Esca! Try the whole grilled pompano. The crudo flight was a lot of fun. Up to the minute food, expertly prepared, warm service, very interesting Italian wine list, including some fun wines by the glass.Special Features:
- The mixed reviews are wrongJuv3001VIPDined on 7/26/2014I read mixed reviews before trying this Mediterraneanesque seafood gem, most regarding the noise level, the darkness or the service. I can safely say that I disagree. We had an absolutely fantastic meal here with wonderful service and great ambiance. It wasn't full so the noise level was okay and the wine selection and knowledge of the staff regarding the wines was exceptional. We loved our experience and the food and cannot wait to visit again. One of the highlights was the pompano, very fresh and a rare find in nyc. Also the dessert was fantastic, a butter cake that was more like a delicate italian pastry. The prawns appetizer was also a standout. Many more delicious options that I can't wait to try on a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!LoxannaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fish lovers run, do not walk, to enjoy creative and delicious preparations at Barchetta. We enjoyed the grilled octopus appetizer and the sardine appetizer, as well as entree preparations of pompano and black bass. We were less excited about the crudo sampler - one small piece of 6 different fish - we probably should have picked one or two full crudo selections. Lots of choices on the wine list, and the server was helpful with suggestions on wine options.Special Features:
- Great seafood but INSANELY LOUDthegforcenyVIPDined on 7/23/2014GREAT crudo tasting, two different whole fish options (for one or two people) and a few other fish entrees. House made seafood pastas, interesting and appetizers. Varied, high quality wine by the glass program, and dessert wines. Speaking of dessert, talented pastry chef. Loved it. BUT, insanely loud room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014crudo was good, but rest of the meal was unimpressive. Restaurant is also very dark - this restaurant you can skip!Special Features:
- great addition to West ChelseaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/20/2014Esca has always been a favorite restaurant and now we have our own version in West Chelsea. Great food, great service. Warm and friendly. Christopher was the best. Enjoy before it gets mobbed.
- Italian seafood gem in ChelseaChelseafoodfiendsVIPDined on 7/20/2014The best of both worlds, a neighborhood gem and destination restaurant. The crudo is delicious. Everything is beautifully prepared and presented. A seafood lover's delight. Salads and vegetables are seasonal and divine. The service is warm, friendly and welcoming. As Chelsea locals we're thrilled the "little boat" has docked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.